Supreme Power

Is anyone else reading this Marvel Comics series written by Babylon 5 creator J Micheal Straczynski? For those that aren't the storyline is a radical "reimagining" of longtime Marvel superheroes The Squadron Supreme.

The Squadron Supreme was and is Marvel's version of the Justice League of America. The made their debut in an issue of the Avengers circe 1970 and have popped up in various series ever since. Most notably their own 12 issue limited series in the mid 80's which is where I first heard of them. I didn't actually buy the comic at the time as I never saw a copy in any of the comic shops availible to me at the time, but the blurbs in the coming attraction sections of other titles intrigued me and when I finally saw some of the characters in issues of the Marvel Universe Handbook I decided to order the series through the mail. Squadron Supreme remains the only comic I have ever done this for.

SS interests me for two reasons outside of the normal gamet for a comic book. First it's set on an alternate Earth. Addmittedly it's an alternate to the Earth of the Marvel universe but it's still quite different from our own. For a start Nelson Rockefeller was president of the USA at one point and instead of the United Nations they still have the League of Nations. Some of the states and cities of the Squadron's Earth are different as well, instead of Washington DC there's Capital City and Hyperion, the Superman analogue, works out of Cosmopolis in the state of New Troy which I believe replaces New York city and state. The second reason why this title appeals to me is the way that instead of just replicating the origins of the DC heroes but with the names changed the writers used elements of the Marvel universe. For example in SS the green skinned, shape shifting Martian Manhunter is replaced by the Skrull, a member of Marvel's green skinned, shape shifting alien race. Also Power Princess, the Wonder Woman avatar, isn't an Amazon from Paradise Island but comes from Utopia Island where her ancestors were experimented on by another bunch of Marvel aliens, the Kree. In the regualr Marvel universe the Kree experimented on humans and created the Inhumans of the isle of Attilan.

Supreme Power does away with pretty much all of the above. The world is now our own but with superpowered individuals in it, while the characters are still identifiable as the Squadron Supreme their origins have become more generic. Straczynski has chosen to use the series to examin his usual topics of how power corrupts and how governments can become repressive without ever meaning to, something he did better in Rising Stars. While Straczynski's writing is as professional as ever and the series boasts some strong artwork the series as a whole feels flat and I put this down to the missuse of the characters. The Squadroneers had a strong and imaginative history, a history totally erased in Supreme Power and replaced with generic cookie cutter origins that could and have been used by dozens of heroes throughout the last sixty years.

While I'll keep on buying Supreme Power as if there's one thing JMS knows how to do is building suspense I can't help but hope that when the series ends someone decides to do a "proper" Squadron Supreme book.

There was a sequal in graphic novel form to the 80's SS mini, in which the SS faces off against a universe destroying foe, ala Crisis and ends up being stranded in the regular Marvel Universe for several years. They played a prominent role in the Quasar series, which was written by Gruenwald, who wrote the SS mini. Most notable of that run was the determination that Hyperion wasn't an alien, but the last Eternal from their version of Earth. When the Avengers was rebooted after the dreadful Heroes Reborn crap, hey squared off against the SS again. They were under mental control (again!). Then there was a Avengers/SS annual, at the end of which the SS managed to get home. There was another SS mini that followed that one that detailed their return. It turns out that the programs they put in place were in fact used by the government to take over and be repressive, just like Nighthawk feared. A new Nighthawk appears, the protege of the first, along with the returns of The Amphibian and Skrullian Skymaster. The SS tries to save the day. I would like ot see where they go after that.

The SS was supposed to show what super heroes would be like in real wolrd situations, especially as pawns of the government. They were often manipulated and mentally dominated. (Hawkeye even made a joke about it in one appearance and the SS theorised that people from their dimension are susceptible to mental control and took steps in the final appearance to deal with it.) They were an homage to DC's Justice League and in the DCU a version of the Avengers, called the Revengers made an appearance about the same time, though their impact on the DCU would be less than that of the SS. Memebers of the Revengers even joined the JLA at one point. As far as I know, only one member is still left, Blue Jay.

Torqumada

I've got the SS graphic novel and some of those issues of Quasar, which started off being penciled by Paul Ryan who did most of the limited series and the GN. The one where the SS returned to their own Earth was a one off Dark Knight format produced at least partially as a ribute to Mark Gruenwald who'd died a year or so before. That last special saw the Squadron's seven founder members reunited (sort of as it was a new Nighthawk and the Skrull had only appeared in flashbacks before then) in the last panel and vowing to fight the new oppressive government.

The Revengers appeared in an early issue of Justice League (the post Legends Griffen one). Their world had been devastated by a nuclear war and the three surviving members came to (the former) Earth (1) and set about destroying Earth's nuclear weapons. At the end of that story only two, the Silver Sorceress and Bluejay were left alive and later they joined the League.

In JLA/Avengers Hawkeye makes a remark about the JLA being nothing but a bunch of Squadron Supreme wannabes. Another I liked about the SS was Power Princess being a member of the WW2 team called the Golden Agency. But then I've always been a JSA fan.

Landshark, the Justifiers/Revengers first appeared in Feb of 71 in issue #87. Legends happened after Crisis. Crisis was all of 1985. Legends was 1986. The real Squadron Superme appeared about the same time. or issue 83 or so of Avengers (would have to check my collection to be sure on that one.) Issue 83 of the Avengers ouwl have been released in January of 71 or so.

Edit: OK, I did go look in my collection. It was issue #85 and that was in Feb of 71, just like the JLA issue. :p
Torqumada