Supposing Edward VI of England survives to his late 70s, what does his reign look like?

You might have seen the burning this time of CATHOLIC “heretics”(many historians declare that Edward was giving signs of being quite un-tolerant with @ least a touch of out-&-out fanaticism. Certainly both
Elizabeth & MARY would have had to toe the Protestant line- or else...)

You might have seen the burning this time of CATHOLIC “heretics”(many historians declare that Edward was giving signs of being quite un-tolerant with @ least a touch of out-&-out fanaticism. Certainly both
Elizabeth & MARY would have had to toe the Protestant line- or else...)
Elizabeth was already Protestant and would conform to any level of religion required by her brother, and would be married off, likely to some protestant ruler allied of her brother. But I do not believe who Edward will be to harsh with Catholic, considering who he will surely marry a Catholic princess: either his long time fiancée Elisabeth of France or Marie Stuart, Queen of Scotland, if he can get her before marrying Elisabeth. Edward would NOT renounce to the prestige and alliance brought by a French match if not for uniting Scotland to his lands. What would be interesting in this scenario is the effect on Spain and Netherlands as Philip’s second wife here will be Maria of Viseu while Netherlands will be most likely inherited by either Maria of Spain or directly by her second son Archduke Ernest, who will surely marry and likely have heirs, so Ernest line would follow Rudolf in Austria and on the Imperial throne, butterflying the reigns of Matthias and Ferdinand II

Could he marry Elisabeth of Valois as was planned in otl. That or he could wait for Mary Queen of Scots to be available. Definitely England will be much more Protestant and Anglicanism will be more unique.

@isabella I'm afraid we'll disagree on Edward VI being tolerant to Catholics. He tried to get Mary to renounce Rome several times. He believed he could get Élisabeth de Valois to convert. When seen against his father's behaviour as far as people who don't ask "how high?" when he tells them to "jump!" I tend to think Edward would be rather similar (both in terms of being convinced in the power of his own persuasion and not taking it well when people crossed him).

There's a "happier" part to it. John Knox stays in England as Edward's court chaplain. So less trouble for Mary, QoS (theoretically). Although Knox heavily emphasized the depiction of Edward as the "new Josiah" and Knox himself wasn't someone KNOWN for their tolerance.

England will be much more Protestant and Anglicanism will be more unique.
Less unique actually. Anglicanism will simply be a brand of Presbyterianism (in all likelihood, see the mention of Knox in my previous post).

OTL, Anglicanism became unique thanks to the Elizabethan Settlement, which set it up as a halfway house, Protestant with a lot of Catholic bells and smells.

For instance, Edward VI and Lady Jane Grey BOTH followed the staunch line of "no music in church", Elizabeth, OTOH, LOVED music so her Protestantism was regarded (by Edward and Jane) as "lukewarm".
Jane wrote that all Catholics were "imps of the devil" with "souls that were the stinking kennels of Satan". Jane and Edward were spoken of as close, so to think that Edward SHARED these views is not too much of a stretch. After all, Knox appealed to his vanity (by comparing him to the iconoclastic King Josiah) and Tudors tended to listen to flatterers (Henry VIII being case in point) far more than they did to "reasonable" people who objected.

Less unique actually. Anglicanism will simply be a brand of Presbyterianism (in all likelihood, see the mention of Knox in my previous post).

OTL, Anglicanism became unique thanks to the Elizabethan Settlement, which set it up as a halfway house, Protestant with a lot of Catholic bells and smells.

For instance, Edward VI and Lady Jane Grey BOTH followed the staunch line of "no music in church", Elizabeth, OTOH, LOVED music so her Protestantism was regarded (by Edward and Jane) as "lukewarm".
Jane wrote that all Catholics were "imps of the devil" with "souls that were the stinking kennels of Satan". Jane and Edward were spoken of as close, so to think that Edward SHARED these views is not too much of a stretch. After all, Knox appealed to his vanity (by comparing him to the iconoclastic King Josiah) and Tudors tended to listen to flatterers (Henry VIII being case in point) far more than they did to "reasonable" people who objected.
Really? Though could Edward VI not introduce new practices to help if more unique. Hmm, loooks like Edward will get the nickname Bloody here if he isn’t tolerant of Catholics (which would be dumb, since England was still Catholic or at least in theory).

Really? Though could Edward VI not introduce new practices to help if more unique. Hmm, loooks like Edward will get the nickname Bloody here if he isn’t tolerant of Catholics (which would be dumb, since England was still Catholic or at least in theory).
Edward (and his counsellors) also believed that female rule had Biblical injunctions against it, so expect some version of Salic Law to come in. Knox wrote (before the Monstrous Blast Against the Tundr'ous Regiment) that to accept female rule was to be "an enemy of God".
Edward (and Jane) referred to the Catholic mass as a "form of Satanic cannibalism"

Edward (and his counsellors) also believed that female rule had Biblical injunctions against it, so expect some version of Salic Law to come in. Knox wrote (before the Monstrous Blast Against the Tundr'ous Regiment) that to accept female rule was to be "an enemy of God".
Edward (and Jane) referred to the Catholic mass as a "form of Satanic cannibalism"
I heard of Jane hating Mass but damn, guys there are still Catholic nobles in England. As for introducing Salic Law I would laugh if Edward only had daughters. Poor Mary, she won’t be Bloody Mary here, she’ll be bloodied Mary. Also what would happen if Edward only had daughters after introducing Salic law (just a question since normally it goes to the nearest living male line relative and there is none at the moment).

@Kellan Sullivan: then I stand corrected. Still Edward can not exaggerate persecution against Catholics if his own Queen is one of them (and persuading either Elisabeth or Marie to convert would NOT BE easy)

@Kellan Sullivan: then I stand corrected. Still Edward can not exaggerate persecution against Catholics if his own Queen is one of them (and persuading either Elisabeth or Marie to convert would NOT BE easy)
I feel he could be lenient too. He was close to Mary who if I am correct was a Mother like figure to him, which could make him more tolerant. So she could have a happier life here (probably won’t be allowed Mary though, unless it’s to someone Edward wanted her to marry).

Last edited:
Also Edward VI living to his late 70s is a bit much for the time is it not? Why have him live to the same age as Elizabeth I or a bit longer.

Also Edward VI living to his late 70s is a bit much for the time is it not? Why have him live to the same age as Elizabeth I or a bit longer.
And Elizabeth had already lived longer than any other English/British monarch up until George II, most English kings, who died of natural causes did so in their 50s or 60s, though Edward's brother in law, Philip II of Spain, died aged 71, so living into your 70s was possible, if rare. As a strict protestant Edward would likely have lived a frugal lifestyle, which would've prevented him from succumbing to type 2 diabetes the way his farher did, though frugality alone would by no means guarantee longivity, after all it had done little to prolong his grandfather's life.

Last edited:
And Elizabeth had already lived longer than any English/British monarch up until George II, most English Kingston, who died of natural causes did so in their 50s or 60s, though Edward's brother in law, Philip II of Spain, died aged 71, so living into your 70s was possible, if rare. As a strict protestant Edward would likely have lived a frugal lifestyle, which would've prevented him from succumbing to type 2 diabetes the way his farher did, though frugality alone would by no means guarantee longivity, after all it had done little to prolong his grandfather's life.
True, but living into his late seventies as the title suggests is a bit much.

I feel he could be lenient too. He was close to Mary who if I am correct was a Mother like figure to him, which could make him more tolerant. So she could have a happier life here (probably won’t be allowed Mary though, unless it’s to someone Edward wanted her to marry).
And Mary was often reduced to tears after their meetings when the subject of religion (and Mary's conversion) came up. AIUI, it was more the council that stopped Edward doing something "rash" about his sister continuing to celebrate mass (in defiance of royal orders) than any sort of sympathy on Edward's part.

And Mary was often reduced to tears after their meetings when the subject of religion (and Mary's conversion) came up. AIUI, it was more the council that stopped Edward doing something "rash" about his sister continuing to celebrate mass (in defiance of royal orders) than any sort of sympathy on Edward's part.
I suppose, but still the relationship between the two would be fascinating. They get along well but are polar opposites on religion, it would be super interesting. What does Edward do? She’s a threat but also she is like a Mother to him.

I suppose, but still the relationship between the two would be fascinating. They get along well but are polar opposites on religion, it would be super interesting. What does Edward do? She’s a threat but also she is like a Mother to him.
I don't think he would execute her or anything, but until Edward has kids of his own (which will be after 1558 for Élisabeth de Valois, 1556 for Mary, QoS (don't askhow this marriage would happen)); 1554 if he marries Juana of Spain - long shot, but these were the OTL candidates considered for him)...doing anything to Mary is "unnecessarily provocative".

Of course, another interesting thing would be what happens in Franco-English relations? OTL, Northumberland promised France Ireland in exchange for French-backing against Mary. Obviously, this rebellion won't happen here since Mary won't rebel against her brother as she did against Lady Jane Grey - and history often forgets that Jane was the queen, Mary the traitor (case of history being written by the winners) - and Mary was very conscious of this, since she portrayed Jane as a dupe of Northumberland - same as she portrayed Edward - to avoid the very awkward legal situation that Jane was heiress and Mary was not. This is also why Mary didn't execute Jane forthwith when she became queen. Because she needed the aristocracy on her side. Same goes for Edward. He does something to Mary, the Habsburgs aren't going to let it slide. But, that doesn't negate psychological warfare or bullying, restricting her movements or her mail etc.

I don't think he would execute her or anything, but until Edward has kids of his own (which will be after 1558 for Élisabeth de Valois, 1556 for Mary, QoS (don't askhow this marriage would happen)); 1554 if he marries Juana of Spain - long shot, but these were the OTL candidates considered for him)...doing anything to Mary is "unnecessarily provocative".
True, Edward probably wouldn’t kill Mary, it would upset Catholic nobles like Norfolk. As for Mary Queen of Scots maybe have Francis II did early and Mary head back to Scotland but get shipwrecked England and forced to marry Edward?
Of course, another interesting thing would be what happens in Franco-English relations? OTL, Northumberland promised France Ireland in exchange for French-backing against Mary. Obviously, this rebellion won't happen here since Mary won't rebel against her brother as she did against Lady Jane Grey - and history often forgets that Jane was the queen, Mary the traitor (case of history being written by the winners) - and Mary was very conscious of this, since she portrayed Jane as a dupe of Northumberland - same as she portrayed Edward - to avoid the very awkward legal situation that Jane was heiress and Mary was not. This is also why Mary didn't execute Jane forthwith when she became queen. Because she needed the aristocracy on her side. Same goes for Edward. He does something to Mary, the Habsburgs aren't going to let it slide. But, that doesn't negate psychological warfare or bullying, restricting her movements or her mail etc.
Hmm, true an Anglo-French alliance could last for some time. I doubt it would last though, the whole issue of Calais could lead to war. Though the Spanish Netherlands are in a spot of bother here with the Anglo-French relations. The French Wars of Religion would also be interesting.

I doubt Edward would treat Mary like you mentioned in the last few lines of the post, I think they could be too close for Edward to do some of that.