Supernatural takes on Alternate History.

So, I am now getting hooked on this show called Supernatural. Basically it's about two brothers who hunt monsters, ghosts, demons, etc. Now, I am watching an episode from season six that seems to take on AH.

Basically, a rogue Angel has gone back in time to prevent the sinking of the Titanic. This POD of course butterflies history (in fact, one of the main character actually says "You just butterfly effected history!"). Now, there are over 50,000 people alive in this world who wouldn't be in OTL (Or at least the shows OTL). Most are descendants of Titanic survivors, but others are people who would have died or never been born had it not been for said descendants. Only now, the Spirit of Fate is literally hunting down all of these people to kill them.

Now, here are some butterflies/AH as mentioned in the episode:

• The HMS Titanic does not sink.
  • Celine Dion is a bar singer in Quebec.
  • James Cameron never made Titanic.

And they even throw in some Show specific butterflies in the episode as well:

• Two characters killed off season before are alive.
  • One of said characters is married to another character they weren't OTL.
  • The characters drive a mustang instead of an impala (which is like as symbolic to Supernatural as the TARDIS is to Doctor Who)
  • Heaven's army is now much larger, due to the "Surplus" of souls created by this ATL.

Now, I am glad to see some AH in mainstream media (They even use terms like Our timeline, that timeline, Butterfly, etc.), but they did mess some stuff up.

They seemed to go with the "It's exactly like OTL, except for a FEW minor small details". And from an entertainment standpoint...I like that. From an AH Fan...not really. You know like, "Despite there being so many butterflies over the last LITERAL century, Barack Obama is still President."

If anyone else saw the episode or watches the series, what do you think of this?

Never watched supernatural so I won't judge it as a show. Even a pretty rushed Alternate History setting can end up as a good show: Code Geass proved me that (though everyone is free to agree or disagree with me on that particular anime)

From the AH point though, I would agree with what you said: the butterfly effect isn't strong enough. The Titanic not sinking wouldn't avoid WW1 but I have always wondered if some of the people who were on that ship couldn't have had an impact on the 1929 crisis. If I'm wrong regarding this, don't blame me: I suck at economical history :p

Also, what they did to poor Celine Dion is a bit unfair: she already had a career before My Heart will go on. I don't see how she could become a bar singer... Even without that infamous song, she would probably just stay a local Quebecquian (right word?) pop star, with probably some success in France too.

Also, what they did to poor Celine Dion is a bit unfair: she already had a career before My Heart will go on. I don't see how she could become a bar singer... Even without that infamous song, she would probably just stay a local Quebecquian (right word?) pop star, with probably some success in France too.
Considering that she had her first no. 1 US (and Australian AND CANADIAN)
single in 1993 and won the Eurovision contest in 1988 (representing
Switzerland), I'd say you're a bit unfair to her as well.