• Restart (New thread)

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • This is fine

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Avignonisme
Avignon Church Cross.png

The most common depicition of a "French Cross", the primary symbol of Avigninisme
Faith or Nation: Religious authority in a rationalist world (June Handal 2005, Cairo Publishing)

[...] The Great European Revolutions was a great social upset in many ways, rapturing the foundations of the connection between religion and politics with the last vestiges of the divine right of kings being swiftly followed by a new era of secular, liberal and rational thought. Religion was in many ways still seen as a cornerstone of European culture, but in addition to rupturing the spiritual basis of many church traditions, the revolutions also caused a large upheaval in the logistics and organization of many religious organizations at the time, perhaps none as prominent as that of the Catholic church. In the aftermath of Italian unification and Pope Pius IX's very hesitant endorsement of the new Italian Republic, many catholic traditionalists saw his authority as nullified on the basis that he was now a participant in a temporal nation's affairs and had thus forfeited his spiritual right to lead even as the Pope himself publicly declared his political neutrality from St. Peters Basilica.

Of the many "National Catholic" churches that sprang up in it's aftermath, none would perhaps be more geopolitically influential than French Catholicism, often called "Avignonisme" after the movement's traditional seat at Avignon. Following the wave of revolutions and in particular the restoration of the French monarchy the French cardinal of Bourges Jacques-Marie-Antoine-Célestin Dupont declared Pius' authority nullified and convened a "special council" of prominent conservative catholics that elected him the new Pope under the name of Gregory XVII (a deliberate shot at Pius, as Gregory XVI had been his predecessor). In an irony most likely not lost to those involved, Gregory XVII chose his former home of Avignon to host the French catholic church.

This church could well have remained an obscure splinter like the Irish papacy were it not for the Monarchist coup and the subsequent inviation by French King Henri V to perform the official coronation. The French catholic church was subsequently declared the offical church of all France and was granted wide-ranging authority convince the populace of its legitimacy. Althought a not insignificant amount of conservative Frenchmen were genuinely swayed by the church's theological arguments, a far greater number had to face the threat of force before promptly professing their undying loyalty. The church found a suprising ally in the form of several metropolitan churches that unlike many loyalist church officials saw the birth of the Avigon church as either a natural step in the evolution of the French nation, a vital step to protect the good people of France from the vile temptations of a foreign Pope or some combination of both.

The church saw its largest support during the First Global War as a civilian organization helping wounded, refugees and the poor both during and after the war but lost a large amount of institutional influence following the defeat of France and the subsequent abdication of its Monarch, but was nonetheless spared (to the annoyance of some italians) any threat of dissolution or dispandment. Despite this it lived on and had a brief revival during the Labryist regime in an inferior position as somewhat of a glorified propaganda organization in contrast to the more equal position it held during the royalist period. Avignonisme is today mostly a spent force, but still maintains a sizeable following in souther France compared to its international counterparts. The current Pope Julius IV still maintains the claim of being the true leader of the Catholic faith, but has still adopted a more conciliatory tone towards the Roman Papacy than his forebears.

Tourism in the CCR
Krim-Intourist-affiche.jpg

Apart from simple trips to and from the CCR, Intourist and our affiliated travel-cooperatives offer a number of exciting tours and sightseeing trips across the CCR and beyond!

Trail of the Revolution

Lumos, Kiev, Vladikavkaz

By far the most popular of the tours on offer, Trail of the Revolution is sure to particularly delight both history-enthusiast and aspiring activists as it closely follows the trail of revolution upon which our modern Republic is founded. Starting with a one-day tour of Lumos the journey continues on to Kiev, the heart of Free Ukraine and a city with history reaching back to the ancient Kievan Rus. The journey concludes with a journey through the beautiful Caucasian mountains by train to Vladikavkaz, the capital of the Northern Mountains Republic. Here you can find both thousands of Caucasian traditions reaching back to ancient times as well as experience the art, cuisine and city life of the modern multiethnic Caucasia.

Friendship route*

Lumos, Frankfurt, London, Washington

Experience life on the other side of the former Radio curtain, starting in Lumos but journeying by train to Berlin and experiencing the history, culture and cuisine of the German people. Next up is a train to Calais where a boat takes you across the channel and into London, the heart of the isles and famous for its impressive architecture. Highlights on the guided tour include the Republican Palace, the Big Ben and the London eye. The last leg of our journey takes us through by plain to Washington, capital of the United States. Explore inside the beltway and visit sites like the Washington monument, Lincoln Emancipation statue and of course the famous presidential White House.

Frankfurt-Rome Axis*

Frankfurt, Munich, Vienna, Venice, Florence, Rome

Feeling cultural? Then this route will take you across six cities with culture to spare. The tour includes a guided tour of each city, exploring the history of famous monument like Frankfurt’s famous Germania statue and the seminal works of works of German composers like Bach and Mozart. Next the journey takes us to the world famous city of canals, perhaps enjoying a nice evening gondola ride after wandering through the city at dawn. Our next destination is Florence, home to the Da-Vinci museum and the now controversial painting of Mona Lisa alongside his many other pieces of art. The final stop on the tour is Rome, home of religious art painted by the many masters of the renaissance as well as the home of the holy father himself.

Isles tour*

London, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh

A new addition to our tour list, the Isles tour visits the capitals of all the nations inhabiting the Islands to the very west of Eurasia, exploring the bustling capital of England, the charming Welsh city of Cardiff, reaching the largest city of the Emerald isle by boat and finishing our trip in historic Edinburgh, capital of Scotland.

Baltic Tour

Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius

For those desiring something closer to home, Intourist offers a three-day trip between the Baltic cities Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius, with guided tours, reserved hotel rooms and transportations by train.

Routes marked with * require foreign currency.

HP Lovecraft

H._P._Lovecraft%2C_June_1934.jpg

Howard Phillips Lovecraft
(August 20, 1890 – October 8, 1943) was an American astronomer most famous for his participation in the discovery of the planet Dīs, along with his career in science fiction literature.

Lovecraft grew up in a poor household in Providence, Rhode Island and was virtually unknown as both an author and an astronomer before the publication of his discovery of Dīs alongside Clyde Tombaugh and Vesto Melphin Sliper. Subsequently his writings became famous in the United States, particularly because of his colleague Clyde Tombaugh’s repeated statements in favour of UFO research.

Lovecraft is particularly famous for his extraterrestrial horror stories such as Lights over Innsmouth, The call of the Cthulu and Amongst the Stars of Madness. His writings were connected in the larger Cthulu Cosmos (named after his most prominent alien race, the Cthulu) and has inspired a large amount of films, music, video games and other media based on his work. The majority of his books are set in either Roswell, Gadsen or the fictional New England town of Dunwhich. The stories frequently feature advanced species of extraterrestrials interacting with ordinary human characters, often in a malevolent manner. In Lights over Innsmouth, aliens have been experimenting on the local inhabitants for several generations, leaving them unusally pale, slender and big-headed. Themes of human insignificance, alien invasion of both humanity as a whole and individuals as well as the unknowable nature of the universe pervade his work, some of which he himself later described in a letter to Tombaugh as being “Derived from an irrational prejudice, perhaps one that I had never discovered were it not for the present goings on of the continent”. He died of a heart attack on the 8th October 1943, with no immediate family save his wife Sonia Greene.

1925 Map.png

Map of the world in 1925, six years after the end of the great war. (as a sidenote, i have corrected a few borders that remain unchanged ITTL and these can be considered retroactively "fixed" as well)

Last edited:
Hello everyone! As you all can see, I've added a poll. I am somewhat unsatisfied with the current state of my timeline, both in terms of overall quality and regarding the realism/butterflies of the whole thing. As i feel like it derailed quite early, i'm thinking of simply starting a new thread with a more comprehensive/accurate scenario. A fair amount will stay unchanged (most of the 1900-era stuff i believe will stay the same) and some entries will simply be copied over. if you are at all interested in my scenario, please vote.

So, based on both the voting results and my personal feelings on the matter, i have decided to start a new thread and "update" the scenario, but i will leave a link on this thread for my new one once i get up and running. Be aware that a fair amount of my early posts on the new thread will just be reposting stuff from this thread that still apply in full to the new version.

EDIT:
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/summer-of-nations-2-0.471042/

Last edited: