[Suggestion] Should unqualified Trump-support be a bannable offense?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by woweed, Nov 24, 2018.

1. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

I wasn't here when it happened, but let me be clear that while Gamergate and Trump are deplorable, their policies are the problem and support of the policies should be the bannable offense.

Completely agree. Like you, I am simply voicing my opinion on the matter, which is that this idea is wrong.

inawarminister likes this.
  2. woweed New Hippie

Doesn't support of the movement imply support of the polices, by default?

Mad Bad Rabbit likes this.
  3. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Yes, good thing that's not what we're talking about. Like I said on page one, Trump is not a movement. He is simply the figurehead of the Republican Party. Don't pretend this is about a movement; if it were, then you would have asked to ban support of Republicans. This is about a person, not a movement, and don't pretend it is otherwise.

Some policies are good while others are not; History and politics are not black and white, but rather a complicated matter. I dislike Justin Trudeau, however I agree with quite a few of his policies; I like Jim Carrey as a person, but disagree with almost all his beliefs. Yes, the latter is an actor rather than a political figure, but I remind you that this is an analogy; It is meant to show that there is such a thing as disagreeing political beliefs while supporting someone.

TheKutKu and Zagan like this.
  4. woweed New Hippie

He is a politician. Why would you support him if you don't support his policies? Also, as I stated, support for specific policies, i'm fine with. Support of either his personal conduct, or his explicitly-racist ideas, I am not.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  5. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

Because much like Hitler, Trump is charismatic. He is an idiot, who doesn't understand anything about politics, but he is in command in any debate. This was how he stood out in the early days of the election, this is how he won.

You are free to not be okay with him, the guy deserves it, but you shouldn't be expecting all others to behave in a way that you want. In the real world, people disagree, they have differing opinions and sometimes those opinions go against your very moral standing [[such as openly supporting censorship]. But the solution should be ignore them, block them, keep them out of your life; not keep them from being within a country mile of you by trying to make new rules to ban them.

6. KuboCaskett Resident Japanophile

...why the frick does this exist? I mean if the chump has some good ideas or at least some good policies (objectively mind you), then hey all means they at least must be praise-worthy; but then again people would have subjective ideas for what is "good" politics wise and frankly we might be approaching Chat territory here, one that I refuse to be part of it. Same with anything with Gamergate, just nope (especially with the mods having their own thoughts on that and Trump).

Leon Trotsky and damein fisher like this.
  7. Leon Trotsky Well-Known Member

"When you rip out a man's tongue, you don't prove him a liar. Instead, you only show the world that you fear what he might have to say."
    - Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones.
    All I have to say on this.

8. Lord Arthur Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I find people right of centre on this site have the rules pushed against them enough.

9. Omar04 Well-Known Member

Eh, there's a really shitty TL on the post 1900s forum that's a right wing wank where Pinochet wins a democratic free election, Rockwell is reformed and not a neo nazi, and there's a disease in South America and people start going to church because they're newly religious because of the disease.

Edward_Elric and Leon Trotsky like this.
  10. Leon Trotsky Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My reaction when I first heard about this "timeline". Is this even real? If so, show me the link if it isnt deleted already. Wanna see in my own eyes on how cancerous it is.

damein fisher and Omar04 like this.
  11. woweed New Hippie

...NDCR?

Omar04 and Leon Trotsky like this.
  12. Leon Trotsky Well-Known Member

NDCR isnt really that wanky since more recently, Canada has turned socdem under Broadbent, the Progressives in the U.S. are poised to win when Ted Bundy s crimes are exposed, and Germany s SPD is rising even though it is mostly a Freyist monarchy. Though it DID suppress Lula s uprising against the brazilian military dictatorship and put friggin Carlos Alberto Brilhante Ustra (A very notorious torturer known for putting maggots in the vagina of female prisoners and brutal decapitations of men, amongst other things) and Jair Bolsonaro as the HoS, and of course ,Portugal is apparently still a kingdom under the Estado Novo Lusitanists and Spain is mostly Francoists, and in overall, rightwing conservatism is winning while leftism, asides from Canada, is still a fringe thing. So NDCR may or may not be interpreted as a far right wank, dependin on how you look at it, cause a true wank would not let ANYTHING EVEN CLOSE to Ed Broadbent gaining power, let alone the Progressives being a major party, so yeah.

13. Omar04 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    There are 3 parts, 1st two were written by @The Congressman and the third is a collab. The first two parts are super wanky (there's a WW3 where Russia is defeated w/o any nukes being used and Moscow becomes run by the UN) but I haven't read the 3rd part in too much detail yet.

Leon Trotsky likes this.
  14. Isfendil Budding Semiticist

Banning people for hate speech creates an echo chamber now?

15. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

This isn't proposing banning people for hate speech, don't pretend it it. It's proposing banning those who say they support a politician who has said hate speech. They are nowhere near the same thing. Let this stupid idea die.

16. Mikhail Gorbachev General Secretary of the CPSU

Supporting Trump is hate speech now? If you make hate speech so broad, it loses its meaning and anything can be construed as hate speech.

17. woweed New Hippie

I don't see the meaningful difference.

inawarminister likes this.
  18. Metropolis45 Active Member

"I think FDR was a good president"

"I think all Japanese-Americans belong in concentration camps"

Do you really think there is no difference between these two statements?

19. Viper91 Donor

If someone outright says or posts or links to something in their own words, that's one thing.

But generic or blanket support of the President seems rather silly. It would also set a dangerous tone. Why not ban anyone who supports a Republican candidate.

Politics also tend to be cyclical over time, so whose to say that it might shift to the Democrats getting the hate 10 or 15 years down the line.

If you can't offer rational debate and simply move to ban those that you don't like or disagree with, maybe you should reconsider your own ability to discuss things.

Chip Merton, ToaKraka, Zagan and 2 others like this.
  20. damein fisher This bad boy can fit so many maps in it

I think we can now clearly see the problem that your entire idea revolves around.