[Suggestion] New Subforum for Current Politics scenarios?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by Crunch Buttsteak, Nov 19, 2018.

?

Should a new subforum be made to accommodate timelines that cover recent history?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. Crunch Buttsteak Supreme Thunder! Donor

Can a new subforum for what-if scenarios based on very recent events be created so that they don’t get lost in Chat?

Given the contentious subject matter it would still only be visible to logged in members, but it would keep what-ifs based on the very recent past from being buried and threads in After-1900 from being locked for discussing current politics.

As a completely arbitrary suggested cutoff date, I’d suggest that POD’s after 2000 would be in the new forum, and POD’s before 2000 be in what would now become “20th Century Alternate History.”

Simeon, Blind, Bomster and 3 others like this.
  2. Kermode FKA conchobhar Donor

I like this idea, because I have basically zero interest in TLs that touch upon current events (sorry) and would thus prefer they don't clutter up Chat.

ninel, January First-of-May and Zagan like this.
  3. Bomster Who is the spiciest memelord?

Maybe something like this:

Alternate History Discussion: Pre-1900

Alternate History Discussion: Post-1900

Alternate History Discussion: Current Events

4. Crunch Buttsteak Supreme Thunder! Donor

I was thinking:

Alternate History Discussion: Pre-1900

Alternate History Discussion: 1900-2000

Alternate History Discussion: 2000-Present Day

cpip, Simeon and Bomster like this.
  5. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

I don't know. 2000-present day has not really seen anything happen that wouldn't lead on into future history.

6. Bomster Who is the spiciest memelord?

My concern exactly.

7. Lalli Well-Known Member

Not sure if it would be needful. There is not much of current politics scenarios/TLs so hardly we need such new subforum. And it would anyway change as political discussion.

8. Alstein Well-Known Member

I think it is needed, because I think moving to chat produces a bit of a chilling effect. What would be the cutoff for current events- 2008?

January First-of-May likes this.
  9. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

At one point several years back, for a while, such TLs ended up in Future History - which is, to be honest, where the really current event TLs belong in the first place (the ones with a POD in the last few months).

There was an immediate backlash against current-ish TLs that never intended to reach the present (Fourth Lectern comes to mind) being moved in the same batch, and ultimately the whole thing was moved back to After 1900.
    But if I had to choose between Future History and Chat for the likes of Fourth Lectern (at the time, After 1900 was still an option, but I gather that it isn't any more), I'd have to say that Future History does fit better.

10. RySenkari Lisa Simpson 2020

I'd love to see a forum for Current Politics TLs that could cover 2000-2030 scenarios, but I have to imagine that if Ian wanted there to be one that there'd be one already.

I feel like the reason that there's never been one added is that the current Chat forum is contentious enough as it is and that the mod staff (which is quite small) doesn't want to deal with two such forums.

I really wish that there was a Current Politics TL subforum, because some really promising timelines have been closed because of the "no current politics outside of Chat" rule, but I can't see one being added in the near future. :(

11. January First-of-May Well-Known Member

The 2020-2030 range, in the areas not featuring Trump, is quite well placed in Future History. The 2000-2010 range, in the areas not featuring Putin or Obama, is quite well placed in After 1900, in the rare cases where it shows up at all.
    The 2010-2020 range never really produced that many timelines anyway (then again, Fourth Lectern).

I guess the least impossible option would be making it a subforum of Chat...

12. Kermode FKA conchobhar Donor

This is a good point; if current politics scenarios are in Chat because they require a bit of monitoring, then mixing them in with all post-2000 TLs— most of which won't require that monitoring— is just as messy for the administrators.

Maybe Future History should be expanded to cover current events as well? After all, the line between "current" and "future" is rather thin: both involve extrapolating from the present. Many questions in FH touch on current events, and most if not all current TLs aim to move into the future instead of stopping at present day. It seems fairly natural to combine them.

13. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

All this would do is create a second Chat thread. The reason current politics is limited to Chat is simple; the rules there allow folks to get away with crap that would earn kicks everywhere else. The Board is specifically designed that way.
    The reason current politics is not allowed in FH is because the Forum had become nothing but thinly veiled political screeds.

You can do FH without delving into current politics. Plenty of folks do. The problem is too many people what to turn the entire Board into a free-fire zone for their political hobby horses. Not going to happen.

Kermode likes this.
  14. Kermode FKA conchobhar Donor

Fair enough.

15. ElMarquis Well-Known Member

I thought beaten and kicked into its current form was more accurate. Of course, within chat there's the Israel Thread...

16. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Beaten and kicked?

I prefer "forged and shaped" (which is effectively the same thing but sounds so much more polite).

The Tai-Pan likes this.
  17. ElMarquis Well-Known Member

I've done some blacksmithing. Artful and precise, it still involves fire, sweat and smacking things with hammers...

Actually, that sounds like more than one dumpster fire in politics...

18. Cockroach Eddy Tracks Donor

Threads in Pol-Chat can have a prefix (currently US-politics, Euro-politics and General) attached which can then be used to filter the forums contents (yep, all existing functionality). The obvious solution would be to add a 'Timeline' or 'Fiction' prefix to the Pol-Chat forum... It'd make it easy to find TLs in Pol-Chat without creating a defacto second Pol-Chat forum.

Only problem would be the effort of adding the prefix to existing Pol-Chat TLs...