[Suggestion] Have all the sub-forums visible to non-members?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by PakistaniGuyUK, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Petike Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom / Franz Josef's Land
    There are loads of works, especially in the Writer's Forum, the Alien Space Bats forum, and even the two fandom forums, that are certainly not beholden to some sort of "puritannical AH esthetic" or "isolated from interplay". Far from it, really. I should know, as I've written plenty of non-AH or only borderline-AH stuff for this site. And I, as an individual author, would be annoyed if all the forums were suddenly easily accessible.

What if, nbcman and Zagan like this.
  2. Ian the Admin Administrator Donor

The non-public forums are not visible to Google. Sometimes that is a good thing.

Masky, Albert.Nik, Indicus and 6 others like this.
  3. H.Flashman(VC) Well-Known Member

Sorry, could you explain what that does stand for please?

4. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones)

H.Flashman(VC) likes this.
  5. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

Honestly though Alternative and Alternate meant the same.

6. Don Quijote Biggar/Davies 2019

They can do, depending on where you are.

7. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

Well I'm from Argentina :D

8. Don Quijote Biggar/Davies 2019

So you only have 'alternativo/a' but not 'alternato/a'?

9. Entrerriano Well-Known Member

We have Alternativo/a and Alterno/a. I'm not sure if their uses are exactly the same as English.

10. FriendlyGhost Haunting history for 45+ yrs

'Alternate' is normally a verb, meaning 'to switch between one thing and another.' When used as an adjective, it means 'every other' or 'something which follows another in a regular pattern.' For example, 'we met in my house or her house on alternate days' meaning 'on one day we met in my house, the next in hers, the next in mine, and so on.'
    'Alternative' is a noun or adjective which means 'another option which can be chosen' or 'one or more things which are available.' For example, 'the alternative path to the mill is over the hill' or 'there are a number of alternative ways of cooking an egg.'
    Having said that, in American English, 'alternate' is often used as a synonym of 'alternative.' So 'an alternative choice for Napoleon in 1812...' could, in American English, be 'an alternate choice for Napoleon in 1812...'
    That's the sense in which 'alternate' is used in 'alternate history' on this site. If this site had been set up by a Brit, there's a good chance it would have been called alternativehistory.com. ;)

Summary:
    In American English, not much difference between the words. In British English (what's sometimes called International English, but I think it's beginning to lose out to American English now), there is a difference. For this site, just treat the words as the same, mostly.

Now I've probably just confused things even more!:rolleyes:

The Professor and Xenophonte like this.
  11. Admiral A. Kolchak Supreme Leader

As far as I'm concerned there are already way too many people here who aren't actually interested in alt-hist and exist exclusively in chat or non-pol chat.

12. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

Personally, I think chat and non-pol chat should be locked for new members. Maybe make them visible after 3-6 months? We don't need this to become another twitch.

Zagan and Admiral A. Kolchak like this.
  13. nbcman Donor

That's making it unnecessarily complicated for the Admin to set up new users in such a fashion for the infrequent issues with a new user in the chat forums. If the new user is going to crash and burn due to content best suited for the Chat forums, let them crash and burn in those forums as opposed to spouting their bile in the other forums on the Board.

Indicus, Zagan and Donald Reaver like this.
  14. APeninSpace What are you even meant to put here?

I assumed XenForo could automate that. I guess it can't.

15. Burton K Wheeler l'état profond, c'est moi Moderator

XenForo can do it automatically. That doesn't mean it's not pointless complication.

Pkmatrix and nbcman like this.