[Suggestion] Have all the sub-forums visible to non-members?

Discussion in 'Help and Rules' started by PakistaniGuyUK, Feb 3, 2019.

1. PakistaniGuyUK Active Member

Is there any reason why Future History, ASBs, Fandom AH and Shared Worlds are hidden to non-members?

(I mean, on the front page of AH, these sub-sections do not appear if you're not logged on...)

Just think it would be more fun and attract more people to join up if all of these were visible...

Is there any practical / legal reason why they are hidden?

Cheers!

2. Lalli Well-Known Member

I don't see that being very reasonable. Meaning of forums visible to non-members is that they attract people who are intrested about alternate history. If Chat, Future and ASB are too visible it might bring people who don't actually care about AH.

3. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

The writer's forum is hidden for copyright reasons, something to do with publishing the stories contained within it I believe.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  4. chankljp The sensitive soul of a heartbroken idealist Donor

As much as I would want for all the sub-forums visible to non-members so that more people can view my own fandom TL.... I think it was mentioned that this will increase the forum's traffic by quite a bit, with the servers might not be able to handle.

King_Arthur and Petike like this.
  5. fdas Professional Jobber

My favorite genre are the ISOT stories in the ASB forum. When I first found AH, I saw some of those stories in the finished TL forum. I spent most of my time in there before I finally found out that there were other forums I was missing. I think ASB should be made public because that is a normal AH genre. Popular stories like Flint's 1632 series are part of that genre so I think it is fine for ASB to be in the same category as Pre and Post 1900. I could see how it was a problem before with all of the fanfic, but now that that has its own separate forum I think the problem is resolved.

TLDR: The splitting off of the Fandom forum means that it is fine for ASB to be public.

6. PakistaniGuyUK Active Member

Thanks for the replies guys,

I just wish I didn't have to log in every time to check if I've got replies to my ASB thread

And I'd love for the whole world to read my contributions not just a select few

7. Gwrtheyrn Annwn A Welshman at Heart

On the logging in front, if you're using a personal computer or your phone then you can set it to remember you so don't have to log in every time you visit here.

8. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Have to say that those are REALLY weak reasons to change a MAJOR Board feature, one that is designed to self limit membership to those actually interested in AH.

King_Arthur, Indicus, Count and 5 others like this.
  9. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

Does this apply to ASB, too? Is the content of the ASB forum not Alternate History?

I can well understand NPC, Chat, and - to some extent at least - Shared Worlds to be non-public, but ASB?

10. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

ASB is very much NOT Alternate History. If anything it is close to ALTERNATIVE History (which always seems to involve space aliens or spooky science of one kind or another). We definitely DO NOT want to attract Alternative History membership, Coventry is only so large.

11. Red Arturoist Napoleon II. - Marxist-Arturoist-Trałkaist Donor

I thought that "alternative history" was only the real harsh conspiracy bullshit like Illuminati, Freemasons etc. controlling the world, New World Order, maybe some of the radical Truther and Birther bullshit, etc.

SpanishSpy and Zagan like this.
  12. wcv215 Well-Known Member

In addition to what Calbear said, ASB also has a history of being, shall we say problematic in terms of content. Its not NEARLY as bad as it once was, but of the sections of the forum a topic in ASB is more likely to be rather bad than those of Post or Pre-1900. Not as bad as Chat, but ASB can get borderline at times. That was as I understand it part of the reason it was made non-visible in the first place.

Indicus, Count, kholieken and 3 others like this.
  13. Dorozhand Queer Space Communist

But AH is fundamentally a genre of spec-fic right? It's like the Gibson Moderne among the giants of sci-fi, horror and fantasy. It seems like we might be insulating it from interplay with other genres by declaring that our medium must adhere to a strict aesthetic realism, but there has been a whole field of literary theory beyond naive realism.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  14. fdas Professional Jobber

But there are a lot of popular published ASB AH like the 1632 series, Crosstime Engineer, and Lest Darkness Fall. Those were the stories that I had really liked and was part of the reason I was drawn into AH and found this site.

I understand why before, ASB was non visible, but now that the fandom forum is separate, isn't there a better case for it now?

SpanishSpy and Dorozhand like this.
  15. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

It includes that, but also has the "Ancient Aliens built the Pyramids", Vikings set up colonies in Michigan, etc school of beliefs.

We really don't need those sorts of posters, they tend to be... incompatible with the Board's policies.

ASB is reasonably under control now, but that has taken a LOT of effort and more than a few actions (the Creepy Teen era still can trigger flashbacks).

There is also the reality that this Board is for Alternate History. The other Forums exist simply because without them the Main Forum get overrun with "other material". The Board is Alternate History.Com, not "other material.com"

16. TC9078 Empire

You know most of the other big boards know us for our ASOIAF section, right? (Well, they know us for other things, too, but that's the positive thing they know us for)

Leon Trotsky likes this.
  17. CalBear Your Ursus arctos californicus Moderator Moderator Donor

Okay.

Does not invalidate anything I mentioned. If anything in indicates the opposite.

Also, I'm aware that the Mod Team, Ian and myself in particular, as seen as petty tinpot dictators with delusions of Godhood.

18. wcv215 Well-Known Member

Delusions?

New Hampshire and Codae like this.
  19. nbcman Donor

Come now, don't sell yourself short. You are seen as a swaggering, overbearing, tin-plated dictator with delusions of Godhood.

20. Pkmatrix Godzilla Fanboy Monthly Donor

I mean, the simplest answer here is that there are many people who've posted things in the members-only forums on the basis that they would not be publicly viewable. A story posted in the ASB forum doesn't count, legally, as "published" because it was not posted where the general public could see it.

There'd be a bunch of us who'd be scrambling to have our TLs deleted if ASB and the other members-only forums were made public.