Suez Victory - Decolonization?

• Thread starter Deleted member 140587
  • Start date

Deleted member 140587

What would decolonization look like if Britain and France had won at Suez? In OTL, the defeat led to Britain and France hastily giving independence to their colonies and calling it quits on Empire. With Anglo-French reputation still intact, what would the borders of Africa and the Middle East look like? What the timetable for independence look like?

In OTL, the defeat led to Britain and France hastily giving independence to their colonies and calling it quits on Empire.
What do you mean by hastily ? French decolonization in Africa was tied to events in Algeria while the bulk of UK African decolonization was in the mid 1960s with plans going back before the suez crisis in many colonies.

Deleted member 140587

What do you mean by hastily ? French decolonization in Africa was tied to events in Algeria while the bulk of UK African decolonization was in the mid 1960s with plans going back before the suez crisis in many colonies.
Well, perhaps I was a bit "hasty" (bad pun) in adding in France, whose postwar colonial practices I am not that familiar with. However Britain initially planned on slow and steady decolonization and had plans for large federative states (the East African Federation and Central African Federation) but Colonial Secretary Iain Macleod pushed for rapid decolonization and as a result, many African states were deprived of effective governance because the process of training civil servants and government officials hadn't been fully finished. With Suez going in Britain's favour, I could see decolonization really picking up steam around the late 1960s and winding up around 1980.

Rather than Iain Macleod, I could see Duncan Sandys, Julian Amery, or Lord Home (advocates of slower decolonization) being given the position due to the fact that Macleod got the position due to his backing of Macmillan in 1957. Alternatively, maybe without Suez and the Hola Massacre to really spur him on towards ending the Empire in Africa, Macleod might get the job and maintain the status quo. When Labour comes into power at some point (1968-1969?), I could see Barbara Castle get the position and really speeding up decolonization

Last edited by a moderator:
. However Britain initially planned on slow and steady decolonization and had plans for large federative states (the East African Federation and Central African Federation)
Central African Federation was formed in 1953 and dissolved in 1963 while still under British rule with Zambia and Malawi gaining Independence nearly a year later . While East African Federation was African proposal that went no where.

I could see decolonization really picking up steam around the late 1960s and winding up around 1980.
But would the various African movements tolerate that delay especially with the rest of Africa gaining Independence. The threat of another Mau Mau Uprising could encourage British to grant an earlier than desired independence.

I could see Duncan Sandys, Julian Amery, or Lord Home (advocates of slower decolonization)
Do you have a link for their plans ?

Alternatively, maybe without Suez and the Hola Massacre to really spur him on towards ending the Empire in Africa, Macleod might get the job and maintain the status quo. .
Both Nigeria and Ghana had already gained Independence or were promised before the Hola Massacre.