Speaking of Kat; is it just me, or does Kat seem to kinda have become the center of the world with nearly everything revolving around or involving her?
Most major/PoV characters who aren't her are either friends with her, related to her, married to friends or relatives of her, or otherwise connected to her, but often have a fair deal less connection amongst each other. There's some who have little to no connection with her, but that number seems pretty small.
Similarly, she seems involved in a lot of story arcs even when there isn't really much reason for her to be. Unless I'm missing something really big, for example, the events in Argentina could've easily taken place completely without her and it wouldn't have changed anything. And it wouldn't have taken much tweaking to make her irrelevant to the events involving the serial rapist/killer, either.

Shouldn’t it have been an “and”, and not a “but” in the last sentence by PM?
A case could be made either way, I'd guess, however the [but] isn't wrong.

...the case is cold again, and I ...
...the case is cold again, but I ...

Someone else better at the rules of English Grammar might be able to help you more than I, but either was work for me.

I thought that might cause some people a degree of perplexing thought, so for clarity I will spell out both versions:-
The Embassy report; Do Not Mess With These F@(kers If You Do You Die.
The Spooks report: Do Not Mess With These Female If You Do You Die.
Sorry if that was just too obscure

The Americans planning this coup did not foresee that another nation would get involved and they failed to plan for that contingency.
Now if they thought things through they would have an United States Navy battlegroup centered around the USS Montana and an aircraft carrier blocking access to the River Platte and when the SMS Rhineland and the SMS von Richthofen showed up this could have lead to...

Your imagination can take it from there.

It's said that the Welsh name things by allowing cats to run across the keyboard...
Considering the names of some Welsh sites and people I'm seriously intrigued if the naming of people and new towns was done by Druids after getting throughly sloshed in Aquavitae or what ancestor of Whiskey was running around during the old ages....

Part 48, Chapter 639
Chapter Six Hundred Thirty-Nine

3rd January 1948

Berlin

It was a wintery Saturday afternoon where there was not a whole lot to do. That went double when all the grownups were consumed with events that Freddy didn’t understand that were happening in other parts of the world. Here in the city he could only go outside in the courtyards. His usual companion, Ueli the foxhound didn’t do well in the city, so he had remained in Potsdam. Usually Gia would be around on a Saturday and they would do something fun here in the city but today she had sent her regrets because she needed to meet someone at the airport. The truth was that Freddy would have gladly gone to the airport, he liked airplanes. Instead he was showing his little sister around the unused corner of the Palace that he had discovered the previous winter.

“What’s this place” Kristina asked. Freddy had invited her to go along with his explorations to distract her from how she had been smarting over how her seventh birthday was going to be celebrated in July this year. One on the pitfalls of having her birthday fall on Christmas day. They were walking down a darkened hallway with water stained walls.

“Even before Grandpapa was Emperor this was how servants got around without being seen” Freddy replied. There were hidden ways throughout the Palace, above and below what people saw.

“Not practical” Kristina muttered. It was one the aspects of Kristina’s personality, everything in her world had to be perfectly ordered. To her this was a colossal waste of space.

“This way, Kiki” Freddy said like he did whenever she got too serious. Kristina hated it when anyone else called her that, she only barely tolerated her brothers calling her that. He pried one of the doors open and entered. It was a room that had once been the quarters of a servant. The window let in grey winter light through dust covered panes of glass. There were empty shelves and a single bed with a mattress rolled up on it. The wooden floor had a coat of dust on it.

“What is there to see?” Kristina asked.

“This one is empty but sometimes I find old newspapers and other things left behind” Freddy replied.

“So, you find the junk that they didn’t care enough to take with them when they left?”

“There’s more to it than that.”

“Not really” Kristina said before she turned on her heel and walked out. Freddy could hear her footsteps fading as she went back the way they had come. He knew the truth. The Emperor and Empress had once required an army of servants to go about doing even to most basic of tasks. He’d seen the paintings of his ancestors, the clothes they wore… In recent decades many of those things had fallen by the wayside and spaces like this had as well.

He had hoped that Kristina would share in his love of exploring these forgotten places, instead she was like Michael, too practical. Shaking his head, he closed the door and walked the other direction. There was a stairwell where he went up a flight of stairs and entered another empty hallway. Pulling out a key Freddy unlocked a door and opened it. This was what he had truly wanted to share with his sister, but he had to know she could keep a secret first or was even interested. The room inside he had cleaned out himself and it was filled with the treasures he had found, among other things. The walls were covered with posters that he had purchased with Gia. Movie posters, the Frankenstein monster, the Wolfman, Jochen Loewe. Posters of footballers playing a sport he wanted to understand. Then there were the stacks of books and model airplanes. He sat down on the mattress, wrapped a blanket around himself and looked out the window. The view was the northern portion of the island and the museum complex.

Freddy came here when he wanted to pretend that he had a normal life. What was the point of having a secret like this if it was yours alone?

Kiel

Jacob read through the latest progress reports relating to events in South America and enjoyed the warm feeling of triumph as his latest plans had come together. His minor project, Albrecht, was also coming together nicely. He had acquitted himself well…

“The latest, Sir” One of his aides said placing a manila envelope on his desk. Jacob opened it and saw that it was the latest dispatch from his spies in the nuclear program in Kempten. He read through the timetable for the coming year and saw that a new project leader had been appointed. Flipping through the pages he came across the relevant document. Nessa had been nominated for a Nobel Prize for her work in the nuclear program, Jacob knew about that already, but just when she was at her professional apex she had abruptly taken a teaching position at the Berlin Technical University at her own request. Why on Earth would she have done that? Why had she not mentioned any of that to him?

Jacob looked through the papers, there was one that was a copy of a document signed by Nessa herself requesting a sabbatical, weeks earlier. She sighted the known dangers and said that her even being in the Kempten complex was a risk she could no longer afford to take. Again, he was left with questions. If Nessa was no longer in Kempten, then where was she?

Last edited:
The Hilarious will be that for all sheer genius of Jacob he will not get a clue until Nessa bluntly points that she is pregnant.

... I really hope that Nessa points that she has already the marriage ceremony ready... because otherwise a certain cine Director it's going to be promptly tied, then fired from the SMS Rhineland's main cannons.

..... Would Jacob be a bit petty and DEMAND for Nessa's future husband to properly convert to Judaism..... if only to enjoy the expression of the guy to the mention of the word "Circumcision"?

The Hilarious will be that for all sheer genius of Jacob he will not get a clue until Nessa bluntly points that she is pregnant.

Like all men Jacob has a blind spot when is comes to his daughters. His only understanding is that she quit a prestigious appointment directing an important project, while it's obvious to everyone else on the planet what's going on. To answer your other questions, Nessa has been married to Eugen Faust for almost three years and Jacob himself is rather proudly agnostic so he didn't make any demands. Once again when Jacob is feeling like he's at the top of his game, it is his wife and daughters who bring him crashing back to earth.

I was thinking about now Germany is awash in war movies and I think that Eugen Faust has made a In Which We Serve type of movie about his father in law with a script by Bertolt Brecht.