Part 46, Chapter 602
Chapter Six Hundred Two

28th June 1947

Berlin

As if they needed a reminder of the sort of deep trouble that they were in the rehearsal was all that and more. The hundreds of guests, including people that had to be invited for political reasons, a number of major and minor royalty not to mention every surviving member of the SKA wanting in. The venue for the wedding itself had to be large. They were able to hear the echoes of their shoes off the ceiling high above as they had gone over what would happen tomorrow. Kira needed only ask and the Cathedral was made available. The reception was if anything, worse. Kira said that she didn’t want to attend a reception in a Pankow dance hall. Kira had insisted that the Hohenzollern Palace be used because it was sitting unused for the Summer so long as Kat didn’t shoot it up this time. It was a massive production that was far beyond what Kat would have done for herself or could personally afford.

Kat sat numbly through the rehearsal dinner with the rest of the wedding party in a Berlin restaurant, nibbling at her food while everything went on around her. It was how she worked, all action until she found herself in situations like this. Then she got very quiet. This was like all the formal meals at Judenbach rolled into one and a thousand times worse. She’d seldom been the center of attention at Judenbach, that had not been friends and family either. The past few days had involved preparing for this fiasco. Claus Voll had scolded her over losing weight ahead of the wedding and the dress he’d designed not fitting right because of that. “I know you are nervous and I can’t believe that I’m saying this but eat something, Katherine dear” were the words that Voll had used. This was after he’d been a good sport about having to start over with Helene. They had all thought she would still be pregnant at the wedding. Little Manfred had made other plans. Then Kat noticed that Doug seemed to have vanished.

“Where’s Douglas?” Kat asked Ilse.

“Maria asked to speak with him” Ilse replied and then she went back to the conversation that she’d been having with Gianna.

Kat had been so bound up in her thoughts, she hadn’t noticed him slip away.

She looked across the table at the guests and had never felt more alone in her life. Nancy was having an animated conversation with Doug’s sister Emma. Nancy's date, a Lieutenant from the Marine Infantry was talking to Malcolm. He looked familiar, but Kat couldn’t place where. Emma saw that Kat was watching, she motioned that her and Nancy should come over.

“You look lonely Kat” Emma said.

“I’d rather be facing the entire Russian army than deal with this” Kat replied.

Nancy found that incredibly amusing, “You’d find a way to beat the Russians and then you’d get stuck with another one of those medals you hate so much” She said. There were times when Kat hated that the people close to her knew her so well.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Maria had said that she wanted to get some fresh air and had asked Doug to come with her. They were walking along one of the canals that ran through Berlin.

“It's already not easy, is it?” Maria asked.

“I don’t know what you are talking about” Doug replied.

“Of course, you do” Maria said, “Katherine knows things that could rewrite the history books…”

“And send her to prison for the rest of her life” Doug finished.

“Then you do know what I’m talking about.”

Doug didn’t want to hear that.

“Emil was given a field commission and ordered to get killed on a battlefield, the same thing happened again right before the war ended” Maria said, “In Spain he was just making it up as he went along and was petrified the entire time that he would screw up.”

“This is Generalfeldmarschall Holz?” Doug asked.

“The one and same” Maria answered with a smile, “You’re going to learn Katherine’s secrets and you can’t tell anyone, ever. Even beyond the legal considerations, you’d lose her trust forever.”

“You were never tempted?” Doug asked, “To reveal what you know.”

“There have been times” Maria replied, “Like when I found out that Kat used Fredrich Grossmann to sell the story that Jehane was dead along with the rest of her family and make it easier to hide the girl.”

“Everyone talks about the Romanov girl but in the time I’ve known Kat I’ve never seen her” Doug said.

Maria just shook her head at that, something was going on there that he didn’t realize. “Jehane herself might tell you who she is sometime, but Kat will die before she gives that one up. Kat considers what she did with that girl to one of the few things that she did right over the last few years.”

“Does this get easier?” Doug asked.

“God, no” Maria said, “You just sort of learn to live with it, most of the time anyway. You need to find what works for you the rest of the time, it’s good you’ve got your own career.”

When Maria said that last part Doug could tell that she was about to bust up. “You’ve been saving that one for ages” He said, “Haven’t you.”

“Since your engagement was announced” Maria said, “Do you have any idea how many patronizing assholes have told me that over the last seven years?”

Last edited:
I just realized... this timeline is only a year old. It has never won a Turtledove.

IT HAS NEVER WON A TURTLEDOVE.

The new one is coming up, if this doesn’t win...
Are they asking for nominations yet? I nominated it last year and I think it got 3rd or 4th place, but it was brand new then.

As it looks like this timeline is winding down, a few thoughts are running in my mind.
Since the end of the Great War, it has been men of great vision that has shaped Germany, of course I am talking about men like Lang, Schimdt, Holz, von Wolgole et al:.
Now that time is over and it is the time of the beancounters.

Kaiser Louis Ferdinand has the great ability to be the Kaiser that Germany needs at any given time, he did a great job in the last war as a symbol of unity leading the people in making the necessary sacrifices to win the war and now he is going to be "The Great Salesman" for Germany .

As I was thinking about Germany's Pacific territories, the thought occurred to me that the people in Berlin who are now running things are asking themselves if having these possessions are really worth it.
They are looking at the cost of providing things like education, health care, roads, airports, water and sewers, and of course the cost of defending the islands.
The islands have become a flashpoint in the continuing rift between the United States and Germany, and the need for the KLM to patrol and defend them.
This is where I am going to be (rightfully) reamed over when I think that the government in Berlin may decide to kill as many birds with one stone.
By selling the islands to the United States it eliminates the costs of running them, Germany gets cash to help pay down their debts, and it also eliminates the need for a large navy to defend the islands.
The government may look at the KLM as a relic of Kaiser Wilhelm II and determine that Germany has historically been a land power and the only need that Germany has for a navy is to keep the North Sea open.
That can be done with destroyers, submarines both attack and ballistic, and long range aircraft.
There are other points I am wanting to make, but I just don't know how to put them in words right now.

Part 46, Chapter 603
Chapter Six Hundred Three

29th June 1947

Berlin

“It’s not too late” Kat said into the telephone. “We could be on a ship to South America before anyone noticed that we’re gone, perhaps an airplane…”

“As tempting as that is” Douglas replied, “We’ve two Emperors, a Czar, a few Kings, a President, at least two Chancellors and most of the Reichstag here who will be sorely disappointed if you don’t make an appearance. Not to mention your friends and family.”

Kat gave an exasperated sigh, “Why do you have to remind me of that?” She asked, “And where did the President come from?”

“France, I think?” Doug replied.

“Who invited him?”

“Ask him yourself when you get the chance and if I have to be here then so do you” Doug said, “It’s a package deal. By the way Gia, Ilse and Gerta said individually that they will drug you and drag you in here if they must to get you here on time.”

With that Doug hung the phone up, swearing under his breath. Only to see that Pastor Sjostedt was staring at him.

“Sorry, Sir” Doug stammered, “Got a case of cold feet on the other end.”

“Nothing I’ve not seen or heard a thousand times before” Sjostedt said, “Emil’s familiar with the young lady, she’ll fight tooth and nail but in the end, she’ll do what’s expected of her.”

“Emil as in…” Doug said.

“General Holz” Sjostedt replied, “He was my commanding officer when I was with him and Horst taking Souville Hill away from the French.”

“Really?”

“Yes, really” Sjostedt said.

The Pastor was full of surprises as Doug had learned in the month since he’d met the man. Then there was the awkward conversation a couple weeks earlier when Doug tried to explain his strange religious background. His mother was Catholic, his father’s choice of religion seemed to revolve around whatever the Regiment was doing. This wedding was the first time he’d set foot in a church of any kind since he was a child. Not that Kat was much better. She had grown up under the roof of her Aunt Marcella who seemed to have picked up bits of religion over the years mostly disregarding the “organized” parts. Pastor Sjostedt had listened patiently and eventually just told them to post the banns. They had the years ahead of them to try to sort that mess out.

“We’ll need to take our places soon” Sjostedt said, “Let’s get this over with.

“I can’t do this” Kat said as soon as she hung up the phone.

“Nonsense, Kat” Helene said as she watched from one of the few chairs in the dining room as they were getting Kat ready to go. “If I could do it then so can you.”

“There are several things you’ve done that I’m not about to do” Kat replied.

Helene blew a raspberry at Kat over that.

Glancing at the mirror Kat saw herself. She had opted for her dress not to be completely white. Marcella had told her for her entire life that such things were just so much patriarchal bullshit. It was white with substantial portions being forest green. It was perfect for her. Three professionals were doing her hair and makeup at the direction of Voll. Voll had said that it was her day, so all the medals could remain in their case in the back of her bedroom closet, something for which she was profoundly grateful. This was not going to be a military wedding so long as she had any say in the matter. As she was watching she was having green and white ribbons braided into her hair.

Hans walked in already wearing his blue dress uniform, “Wow” He said, “Once again the world is going to be reminded that you’re a beautiful woman just in time to have you married off.”

“That’s enough of that” Helene said, “Is the van ready?”

“Yes” Hans said, “Just make sure she’s ready, I’ll be running the others in.”

Hans was driving the others who lived in this house to the Cathedral. Kat, Gerta, Helene and Gianna were going in separately. Mostly it was so that they could keep Kat from doing something crazy at the last possible second by making sure that she waited until after the wedding before she ran off with Douglas.

The car pulled up to the front of the Cathedral, Kat got out of the passenger seat and turned to help Helene out of the back. “Would it have killed you to get a bigger car?” Helene demanded.

“It’s good for getting around town” Kat replied.

“It’s a perfectly good car” Gianna said as she set the parking brake and opened the door. “Even if it’s the cheapest one made on this side of the alps.”

“If you don’t like it then why did you insist on driving?” Kat asked.

“Because you are too likely to point it in the fastest way out of town and not stopping” Gianna replied.

“She has a point” Gerta said from the back seat as she waited for Gianna to let her out.

As they made their way to the entrance of the Cathedral Kat noticed that Helene and Gerta were on either side of her with Gianna taking up the rear. They were still expecting her to flee if she got the chance. When they joined the wedding party that was waiting to enter Kat looked around. She didn’t know what she was expecting but it was noticeable who was missing.

“Sorry about Otto” Uncle Klaus said, “We’ve not seen or heard from him in weeks.”

“Its alright” Kat replied.

“No” Klaus said, “It isn’t, he should be here for this.”

“I’m sure he’s here somewhere, he’s just not stepping forward” Kat said, “I made some threats recently…”

Klaus smiled “I’m aware” He said, “The whole neighborhood was aware of that. Looks like you’ve got me as a stand in.”

Growing up in Aunt Marcella’s house, Klaus had always been around. He was a quiet man, when he wasn’t at work he was listening to the radio and dozing in the parlor. But he’d been there frequently while her own father was absent. He’d also taught her ballroom dancing which was one of the few bright spots in her adolescence.

“You ought to give yourself more credit” Kat said as Klaus took her arm.

It was every bit the nightmare that Kat had predicted. Labor leaders, politicians, monarchs wanting to be seen at this event. Except for some of the far-right political parties who believed that Kat was a thinly disguised thief and murderer everyone else who was anyone was here. Doug saw his mother seated next to Emma, this was clearly far more than she’d been expecting. When she’d seen how this was being announced, that Doug was to be the Consort of Gräfin von Mischner it had made certain things clear. On this side of the Atlantic it was Kat who was seen as marrying down. No amount of airs that Margot put on would change that.

“She didn’t want this huge production” Doug said, to no one in particular.

“This is about politics, Douglas” Malcolm said, “See that.”

Malcolm nodded towards where the German royal family was seated with their British counterparts. The Duchess of York was talking with Kira. Diplomacy by other means, Doug thought to himself.

Then the music changed, and the wedding party entered, Doug saw Kat enter with her Uncle Klaus. White and green, the Emerald of Berlin one last time.

Last edited:
As it looks like this timeline is winding down, a few thoughts are running in my mind.
Since the end of the Great War, it has been men of great vision that has shaped Germany, of course I am talking about men like Lang, Schimdt, Holz, von Wolgole et al:.

Kaiser Louis Ferdinand has the great ability to be the Kaiser that Germany needs at any given time, he did a great job in the last war as a symbol of unity leading the people in making the necessary sacrifices to win the war and now he is going to be "The Great Salesman" for Germany .

As I was thinking about Germany's Pacific territories, the thought occurred to me that the people in Berlin who are now running things are asking themselves if having these possessions are really worth it.
They are looking at the cost of providing things like education, health care, roads, airports, water and sewers, and of course the cost of defending the islands.
The islands have become a flashpoint in the continuing rift between the United States and Germany, and the need for the KLM to patrol and defend them.
This is where I am going to be (rightfully) reamed over when I think that the government in Berlin may decide to kill as many birds with one stone.
By selling the islands to the United States it eliminates the costs of running them, Germany gets cash to help pay down their debts, and it also eliminates the need for a large navy to defend the islands.
The government may look at the KLM as a relic of Kaiser Wilhelm II and determine that Germany has historically been a land power and the only need that Germany has for a navy is to keep the North Sea open.
That can be done with destroyers, submarines both attack and ballistic, and long range aircraft.
There are other points I am wanting to make, but I just don't know how to put them in words right now.
Ejpsan, by THAT point of view, WHAT right then do have the Americans to even remotely claim Hawaii as their territory if everyone and their dog knows that they STOLE the Hawaiian Kingdom, first intimidating the Hawaiian Kingdom to renounce to more and more of their lands and rights, then realizing a "Revolution" composed ENTIRELY of Southern Planters and their "workers" , and blatantly supported by US Marines, but curiously no one damn native Hawaiian amongst the "Revolutionaries"??

Seriously, have at least the damn decency of be silent because by saying what you said, it's an example of hypocrisy at its finest.

Walter Horst said, "Napoleon called the British 'a nation of shopkeepers.' I called the United States 'a nation of pawnbrokers.' Is Germany now to be a nation of accountants, weighing profits and expenses above all other considerations?

"One of the ideas that came out of the treaty that ended the first war was the right of self-determination. It was that idea that prompted the French to withdraw from Viet Nam and it was that idea that compelled us to enter the war to help kick out the Japanese. Are not the inhabitants of those islands German subjects and do they not have the same right to determine their own destiny? Those islands may decide to remain as colonial posessions, they may decide to petition for inclusion with the Reich, they may decide to become independent or to join the United States, but however they decide it should be their decision."

Chapter Six Hundred Three

29th June 1947

Berlin

“It’s not too late” Kat said into the telephone. “We could be on a ship to South America before anyone noticed that we’re gone, perhaps an airplane…”

“As tempting as that is” Douglas replied, “We’ve two Emperors, a Czar, a few Kings, a President, at least two Chancellors and most of the Reichstag here who will be sorely disappointed if you don’t make an appearance. Not to mention your friends and family.”

Kat gave an exasperated sigh, “Why do you have to remind me of that?” She asked, “And where did the President come from?”

“France, I think?” Doug replied.

“Who invited him?”

Just a small, unassuming wedding :cool:

Then the music changed, and the wedding party entered, Doug saw Kat enter with her Uncle Klaus. White and green, the Emerald of Berlin one last time.

Very nice image.

Great timeline. It's my favourite at the moment.

That being said, I have to tell you, that in Germany it makes no sense to run away before your church wedding. To be married, you have to go to city hall (Standesamt in german, registry office in english according to leo.org). You are only allowed to marry in church, after you are married legaly (a relict from Bismarcks war against the catholic church). The ceremony in the Standesamt is the legal part with bride, groom and 2 witnesses. The ceremony in church is the celebration with all your friends and family.
So in germany it makes no sense to run away, because to even get there, you already have to be married.

FBKampfer

Banned
Great timeline. It's my favourite at the moment.

That being said, I have to tell you, that in Germany it makes no sense to run away before your church wedding. To be married, you have to go to city hall (Standesamt in german, registry office in english according to leo.org). You are only allowed to marry in church, after you are married legaly (a relict from Bismarcks war against the catholic church). The ceremony in the Standesamt is the legal part with bride, groom and 2 witnesses. The ceremony in church is the celebration with all your friends and family.
So in germany it makes no sense to run away, because to even get there, you already have to be married.

Actually getting hitched isn't the part Kat's running from. It's all of everyone else's shit that she's running from.