Those two are TROUBLE! I see a deal in the making here. Kat offers to accept all the titles peacefully if Helene is allowed into the Luftwaffe, probably as a non-combat ferry and training pilot.

...... Nothing like partying after trolling a jackass.
The Major didn't seem like a jackass. After all, he hasn't ordered a squad of soldiers to simply pick Helene up and deposit her outside (which Manfred wouldn't object to in the slightest). He simply seemed a busy, normal man (with the preparations for a very possible war, everybody's workload probably grew exponentially), who became the 'enemy' because he was there, available and told Helene 'No'. As a result, he got barricaded in his office for a few hours in the evening and would probably become the butt of various jokes over a few weeks.
No, I don't think the Major is the jackass here.

If Kat and Helene go out partying, with Kat wearing a uniform with a Fallschirmjäger patch, then Kat is likely to wind up as the unofficial patron saint of the paras, and possibly the Honorary Colonel of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Regiment.

Maybe if they get her sloshed enough they'll be able to get through that wall of self-doubt she's built up.

If Kat and Helene go out partying, with Kat wearing a uniform with a Fallschirmjäger patch, then Kat is likely to wind up as the unofficial patron saint of the paras, and possibly the Honorary Colonel of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Regiment.

Maybe if they get her sloshed enough they'll be able to get through that wall of self-doubt she's built up.

I think she already is theirs. Maria must be simultaneously proud and aghast at what her mentee has accomplished. Kat even more than before is an honorary niece to Emil and Maria, given Emil's history.

The Major didn't seem like a jackass. After all, he hasn't ordered a squad of soldiers to simply pick Helene up and deposit her outside (which Manfred wouldn't object to in the slightest). He simply seemed a busy, normal man (with the preparations for a very possible war, everybody's workload probably grew exponentially), who became the 'enemy' because he was there, available and told Helene 'No'. As a result, he got barricaded in his office for a few hours in the evening and would probably become the butt of various jokes over a few weeks.
No, I don't think the Major is the jackass here.

Yeah, I think Helene throwing a hissy fit because preparations for war are interfering with her activities is pretty much the definition of a spoiled rich girl. There is a time and place even for protests and its not as if the Major has any power to change things. If she is absolutely determined to protest then have a sit-in in the office of the relevant general or politician but of course they would not treat her with kid gloves so lets berate some poor low level functionary who is trying to be as decent as possible under the circumstances. I never thought much of her and this just confirms it.

I think she already is theirs. Maria must be simultaneously proud and aghast at what her mentee has accomplished. Kat even more than before is an honorary niece to Emil and Maria, given Emil's history.
I think that only Kat and maybe a few ones haven't fall in account that the Fallschirmjäger see Kat as their collective Little Sister, and now a source of unbridled pride to see how she has grown as a Woman and individual.

Moreover, I can imagine that the Karambit knife and its use is likely to become a near staple for the Paras, other outfits and several Soldiers in the Heer , under the nickname of "Katzenkralle", The Cat's Claw, an homage to who made legendary and infamous the use of the same knife.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think Helene throwing a hissy fit because preparations for war are interfering with her activities is pretty much the definition of a spoiled rich girl. There is a time and place even for protests and its not as if the Major has any power to change things. If she is absolutely determined to protest then have a sit-in in the office of the relevant general or politician but of course they would not treat her with kid gloves so lets berate some poor low level functionary who is trying to be as decent as possible under the circumstances. I never thought much of her and this just confirms it.
Yeah, Kat and Gerta have a lot more going for them in the character department (then again, Helene probably sees this as her father trotting on her freedom through via one of his goons yet again).

Merciful Lord, and you and the others still do not get it?

The bloody act wasn't for stripping her of the Flying Club.

But because Helene wants to bloody be NOT in a Club, not in a House or being a classical Hausfrau.... she wants to bloody be out there inside the Cockpit of a fighter, hunting in the skies like her father did at her same age.

But she is female, and daughter of a Traditionalist Junker, so she is reduced to watch what in her eyes amounts to rabble in the Air gain their wings and go into the Sky to Hunt where she is forced to stand in the ground as a proper Daughter of a Junker..... and she is pissed as hell.

.... So, who bets when she flips off finally, steals a Locke Wulf and Makes Master Ace in a single sortie?

.... So, who bets when she flips off finally, steals a Locke Wulf and Makes Master Ace in a single sortie?

Helene is not going to steal a plane and while you did nail her perspective, she's somewhat shallow, narcissistic and has a lot of growing up to do but that's just one part of her journey.
It comes from never having to have made hard choices or face real consequences. That's going to change.

Helene is not going to steal a plane and while you did nail her perspective, she's somewhat shallow, narcissistic and has a lot of growing up to do but that's just one part of her journey.
It comes from never having to have made hard choices or face real consequences. That's going to change.
Hope that is soon.

The must amusing is that maybe only her mother may perceive that Helene is in a sense, exactly how her Father was as a young officer of Cavalry in personality, before the Great War tempered him and he met her.

So i guess what Mrs Richtofen hasn't yet hammered the clue about that Helene is exactly like a young Manfred into her husband.

Although it's not her fualt she's lived in a gilded cage all her life. Doesn't justify her actions though (unfortunately for the Major, he had to get her dad involved which just worsened the situation).

Part 21, Chapter 232
Chapter Two Hundred Thirty-Two

20th July 1941

Berlin

Helene woke up feeling like her head was stuffed full of cotton padding. When Kat and Helene met Gerta at her parent’s townhouse they had raided the wine collection. They were celebrating Kat’s continued survival and the end of the world. That had seemed funny at the time, but now with the hangover that seemed very blasé. She also figured that there would be price to be payed for her behavior the day before. It just made her so angry that she was being excluded and this time she just couldn’t push her way in somehow. The flying club had been fun but in her heart, she knew what she really wanted. When those 187s had flown in they were the most amazing thing she’d ever seen. And to be pushed out at that point? It’d felt like something had been stolen from her.

Kat was drinking coffee in the kitchen and Gerta was still asleep on the couch. If Kat was feeling the effects of the night before she didn’t show it.

“I’m going to need you to come with me later” Kat said.

“Where?” Helene asked as she waited for the light to become slightly less painful.

“The hospital, the stitches in my back and… elsewhere were supposed to come out today” Kat said “And I imagine that Aunt Marcella is going to have my hide when she catches up to me. I’d rather have you with me than her right now.”

“You had stitches in you and you tried to run away?”

“I just needed to get away for a while” Kat said, “And with everything that’s happening…”

Kat was looking at the newspaper, she’d acquired a copy of the Sunday BT from somewhere with their lurid front page. This one showed a clock with the hands spinning in a blur, one day until the deadline. Kat had said something about how her brother had deployed to Poland in preparation for what was about to happen. Helene looked at Kat’s face, she couldn’t possibly be blaming herself for this too, could she? Helene thought to herself. Suddenly, all of Helene’s problems seemed very trite.

“Go wake up Gerta” Kat said, “Do you think you can arrange a ride for us?”

Manly, Sydney, New South Wales

Maria was looking at a copy of the BT that was almost a week old. The problem with this place was that it seemed like she was very far from the center of things. She had to admit that the photograph of Kat was adorable. It didn’t elaborate on the extent of Kat’s injuries and Maria really hoped a letter arrived from Kat soon letting her know that she was going to be okay. The paper also spelled out the ultimatum that had been made with the Soviet Union, that was the other thing that was weighing on Maria. Emil expected to get orders recalling him to Berlin at any second, when that happened he would take command of the of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division and all the risks that entailed. Maria would be left behind until things stabilized… And Maria strongly suspected that her being in distant Sydney as opposed to Berlin was a relief for him.

“What’s wrong Aunt Maria?” Theresa, or was it Lucia, asked. She was still mixing up the twin daughters of Emil’s sister Beate. Beate had told Maria that when they had been babies they had been absolutely impossible to tell apart. Now at the age of seven they had the same deep brown eyes and sandy hair.

“I’m just worried about what’s going to happen with your Uncle” Maria said.

“Momma said that if we’re lucky then the Russians will shoot Poppa and save her the trouble” Theresa said. That was straight from the mouths of babes. Beate had gone through a messy divorce just a year earlier. She had been a research librarian in Jena when her husband had decided that the life of a husband and father was no longer in his interest. He might have walked out and wanted nothing to do with his children but that hadn’t stopped him from dragging out the process, making things as difficult as possible. It was something that Maria knew all too well, the father that she hadn’t talked to in decades had done something very similar. Beate had brought her children to Australia at Emil’s invitation to have a new start here. Between Beate and a local woman they’d hired to help out Maria had not been overwhelmed after Zella was born, still it rankled her a bit that she couldn’t just do it on her own.

“As a General I’d be sunk if I tried to do everything by myself” Emil had said “Just except the help.”

Just then Zella woke up from her nap and began crying. Life proceeded whether you liked it or not.

Berlin

The Surgeon had looked at Kat with a raised eyebrow when she’d identified Helene as her sister, clearly acting like he knew it was a load of crap. Still he’d not thrown Helene out. Gerta had waited out in the lobby, she had a terrible tendency to faint at the sight of blood.

“When I told you and your cousin that I didn’t want to see her back again that didn’t mean that I wanted to see you in here” The Surgeon said as he used a pair of surgical scissors to cut the stiches on her back and thigh. He then began to pull them out of her skin with a pair of tweezers. Helene held Kat’s hand through the whole process. This had to be a particular sort of Hell for her, it threw almost all of Kat’s social phobias into one excruciating experience.

Helene had been shocked by the sight of Kat’s half healed injuries. Bullets had torn a pair of jagged lines across the skin of her right shoulder before one of them had had made a pass through a bit of the meat on her right thigh. Once again Helene got left feeling like her problems couldn’t have been more trite.

Later when they had returned to the townhouse they ate a quiet dinner and then sat around talking about random nonsense. The whole time they were all keeping an eye on the clock as the hours and minutes wound down to midnight. The whole world sat with baited breath watching to see what would happen next.

Merciful Lord, and you and the others still do not get it?

The bloody act wasn't for stripping her of the Flying Club.

But because Helene wants to bloody be NOT in a Club, not in a House or being a classical Hausfrau.... she wants to bloody be out there inside the Cockpit of a fighter, hunting in the skies like her father did at her same age.

But she is female, and daughter of a Traditionalist Junker, so she is reduced to watch what in her eyes amounts to rabble in the Air gain their wings and go into the Sky to Hunt where she is forced to stand in the ground as a proper Daughter of a Junker..... and she is pissed as hell.

Oh I fully get that she's pissed because they are not giving her a red carpet into the cockpit of a fighter and she's showing the maturity required of an officer by essentially holding her breath until she turns blue. Put her under military discipline and she'd crumble.

Media campaign for women using a noted female journalist? Nope. Public speaking appearances for women using her fathers name for access? Nope. Lobbying behind the scenes by accessing prominent people through her friends? Nope. Throwing a hissy fit and berating and humiliating a low level officer (who may well become her senior officer if she achieves her desires)? Yes indeed.

Part 22, Chapter 233
Chapter Two Hundred Thirty-Three

21st July 1941

East of Kowel, Poland

Hans was sitting in his hole waiting. Every few minutes he checked the illuminated dial on his watch and it was just a few minutes later, no more. Midnight arrived and nothing happened. There was a notable sense of relief as the minutes continued to tick by. Finally, at about quarter to one Horst came down the line. Hans noticed the way that he moved with sort of practiced caution that came from surviving three wars.

“Look sharp you lot” Horst said “This ain’t over yet by any stretch.”

Hans sat there in his hole waiting, his rifle resting on the soil that he’d piled there when he’d dug the hole. Jost started snoring about two and still nothing happened. It was a warm night with just the faint sliver of a crescent moon that Hans watched sink towards the western horizon. Finally, Hans noticed that the eastern sky was lightening. He checked his watch, four in the morning. Hans was starting to think that Jost had the right idea, at least he was going to get a couple hours of sleep tonight.

“No one bet that the Russians wouldn’t do squat” Hans heard Henrik say.

“Could just be that it’s not happened yet” Soren said in reply.

Leave it to Soren to come up with that up-lifting thought.

“Or it could just be that I get to keep all the money” Henrik said, “The Russians are being totally chicken shit, who’d of thought.”

“Shut up Henrik!” Burgstaller yelled “Are you trying to jinx us?”

“Why don’t you come over here and make me!” Henrik yelled back.

“That’s enough!” Hans yelled “All of you, shut up!”

The squad fell into tense silence. Hans suspected that Pfaff and Rudy were asleep, he knew Jost was. He made note of that, those three would get next watch while the rest of them got some sleep after breakfast.

At about five Hans could see the cabbage field in the gathering light. Sunrise was in only a little while, that’s when some tickled the back of his mind. How would he do this if he had to assault this position? It would have to be under cover of darkness or…

“Everyone wake up!” Hans yelled as he elbowed Jost awake.

“Hey!” Jost yelled “What’s the big idea?”

“The sun’s coming up in about fifteen minutes” Hans said.

“Yeah, so” Jost said.

“When that happens, we won’t be able to see a damn thing” Hans said.

“Damnit” Jost muttered “Why doesn’t anyone think of these things?”

“The sun rising in the east, seriously Jost?” Hans asked.

Jost looked at him with a stupid look on his face.

There were a number of flashes all across the eastern horizon.

“EVERYONE DOWN!” Hans yelled. They were about to get the Russian answer to the ultimatum from the week before. There was a loud shrieking sound and the ground rocked as rockets rained down all around them. Hans and Jost were at the bottom of the hole as clods of dirt rained down on them. The rocket attack tapered off after a few minutes and Hans noticed that the 20mm on the Rust Bucket had opened up. He cautiously peered over the lip of the hole and saw figures moving through the cabbage field.

Hans raised his rifle and fired a burst at the figures and he watched them scatter. He could hardly see what he was shooting at, but that didn’t matter did it. Hans heard the clatter of their rifles and the ripping cloth sound of the machine guns. Eventually the firing died down and Hans heard yells to cease fire.

They stood there for a few minutes looking across the cabbage field as the sun rose higher in the sky. There didn’t seem to have been a whole lot out there. Now all Hans saw was a whole bunch of chopped up cabbages.

“What the Hell was that?” Jost asked.

“The Hell if I know” Hans said.

Later Soren and Rudy when down into the cabbage field. They said that saw boot prints and blood but not bodies. When Hans reported this to Lieutenant Auer and he got immediately referred on to Horst. It was the sort of thing that made Hans wonder what the point of having Lieutenant Auer around even was.

“It was a probing attack” Horst said, “There were never more than a few of them, this time.”

“This time, Sir?” Hans asked.

“Yeah, see that” Horst said pointing at a reflection on a hillside about three kilometers away “That bastard over there watched the whole thing play out, I’m figuring that he’s planning on coming back in force when he feels like it.”

“So, we wait for that?”

“Hardly” Horst said, “It’s just a matter of picking your moments.” The hillside in question erupted in artillery fire.

“And that” Horst said, “Is what it looks like when the other side is going to be needing a new commanding officer.”

Berlin

A small package for Kat arrived at the von Richthofen townhouse while they had been playing games in the parlor. No one was supposed to know where Kat was so this came as an unwelcome surprise, then she saw who it was from which was an even more unwelcome surprise. It was a largish silver brooch with an intricate copper, jet and ivory inlay of a tiger.

The note attached said Congratulations on moving up in the world Baroness Katherine, my own Sovereign wished to congratulate you. This bauble is a thank you for services that you’ve rendered for both his extended family and for this nation.

Sincerely I.F.

“What is this?” Helene asked.

“It’s a staggeringly inappropriate gift” Kat answered.

Last edited:
7f33d093b8f483242613e15e456fe37de9269948b09e8ceefa03d240187977c7.jpg

What a fascinating gift. Yeah, I think Bond's to have a much different colleague and best friend this time around.

Interesting developments. Helene's protest was poorly handled, no doubt about that. After all, there's a war brewing.
Kat running around dressed in Fallschirmjäger clothes will, of course, create even more rumors.

And now, mayhem between Germany and the USSR, with Britain and Japan at odds, and a German squadron over there. What could possibly go wrong?

Germany's massively powerful fleet can contribute relatively little against Russia, but they could afford to deploy a few more to the Pacific in exchange for considerations of some sort...

Japan may well see this as a good time to act.