Yep. He hated fascism like very few persons in his era.

OTL he contacted the British multiple times offering to spy for them, and they assumed he was a plant. So he contacts the Germans and builds a British espionage network based on travel guides and his imagination, having never visited Britain in his life. This "network" is so successful the Brits are alarmed and snatch Pujol only to discover that he's been feeding pure garbage to the Reich and would be delighted to expand his operations from England.

Possibly the greatest Con Artist ever.
The Germans had their own: Wilhelm Voigt. He was a homeless ex-convict in Berlin, who bought a some old uniforms from the equivalent of army surplus stores in early 1900's Germany. He combined them into a believable imitation of a German Officer uniform, commandeered two different soldier squads he met on his way, took them by train in a neighboring town, waltzed in the Town Hall, ordered the soldiers to arrest the Mayor and Treasurer there and take them to Berlin. Also, he 'confiscated' all the money in the treasury, for which he left, of course, a receipt, requested a carriage and left.
Well, he was caught eventually, but Wilhelm II himself pardoned him. They even made him a statue.
542px-Hauptmann_von_Koepenick_-_Bronzestatue.jpg

Part 21, Chapter 223
Chapter Two Hundred Twenty-Three

18th May 1941

Heinersdorf-Pankow, Berlin

Kat walked down the stairs and the first thing she saw was Jehane hiding wide eyed in the parlor and her face pale with fear. “There’s someone in the kitchen” Jehane whispered.

“Who?” Kat whispered back.

“Don’t know” Jehane said in a small voice.

The lights came on in the kitchen and Kat heard movement in there.

“How many? Kat asked in a low voice.

“One” Jehane whispered “Big.”

“No matter" Kat said as she grabbed the poker from beside the stove. It had been converted to gas years earlier but Klaus had made a batch of fireplace tools. He liked the way they looked, always enjoyed showing off his work and Kat never minded having a convenient weapon within easy reach.

“Hide” Kat whispered to Jehane “I’ll come back when it’s sorted.”

Jehane smiled and nodded, she genuinely thought Kat was invincible. Kat hoped that the girl would forgive her once she learned that Kat was very fallible. Kat could feel the cold wood of the wooden floor as she crept down the hallway trying to remember which portions of the floor creaked. The man had his back to the doorway as Kat entered trying to get her eyes to adjust the changes in light. Her lessons on matters like this were simple. Don’t do anything fancy, just cave the skell’s skull in before you are noticed. Kat was just getting ready to swing the poker at the man’s head when the floorboard under her left foot creaked. The man turned around and Kat realized it was Hans, here unannounced at six o’clock on a Sunday morning. She was strongly tempted to take the swing anyway.

“What are you doing here?” Kat asked, voice reflecting the anger she was feeling. He’d frightened Jehane by sneaking in like this.

“On leave and this is my place too, Kat” Hans said, “Were you going to hit me with that?” He was talking about the poker, Kat was still considering going ahead and doing it.

“There are other people who you ought to consider here” Kat said.

Hans couldn’t believe this, he’d hoped to come home and surprise everyone. He hadn’t anticipated that Kat would take it badly. Sneaking down in her bathrobe and fixing to brain him. What had gotten into her? He saw a face watching from the hallway.

“Who’s that?” Hans asked.

Kat turned and saw Jehane standing in the hallway.

“I thought I told you to hide until I came back” Kat said sternly as she elbowed Hans in gut, hard.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Just be glad she didn’t aim lower” Klaus said across the table, “She takes these things seriously these days.”

Hans hadn’t considered that until Klaus had pointed it out to him. Even so he’d nearly lost his breakfast after Kat had hit him. He’d been gone a lot over the last few years and as he’d discovered Kat had changed a great deal in that time. He had been introduced to Gianna after he’d recovered his wind. He’d been told that his Aunt and Uncle had taken in Gianna after she’d lost her family in an unfortunate incident. And was told pointedly that further questions would not be appreciated.

“What exactly is Kat taking so seriously?” Hans asked.

“You’re in the Heer” Klaus said, “Ever heard the phrase, need to know?”

“This is hardly operational security” Hans said, “This is my home.”

“Spoken like a man who has never been in a serious relationship” Klaus said.

Hans looked at Klaus with an incredulous look on his face.

“When it comes to maintaining domestic tranquility there are only two words that you need to remember” Klaus said, “Those are yes and dear.”

“You are saying that I should not question what Kat and Aunt Marcella are up to?” Hans asked.

“Yes” Klaus answered, “With some of the things your sister has been caught up in it’s probably safer that way.”

As Kat saw it, she had two contradictory problems to contend with. The first was that Jehane was naturally curious and wanted to see everything that happened. The other was the legacy of the treatment that Jehane’s family had been on the receiving end of at the hands of the Bolsheviks after the revolution and later their murders. Kat had learned some very ugly details of those events straight from Jehane’s mouth and she realized that it was still having a terrible effect on Jehane. Kat needed to talk to Doctor Holz, how did she even began to deal with all of this?

Pacific Ocean off the Marshal Islands

Lieutenant Commander Sho Tanaka of the IJN Uzuki realized he had a problem on his hands when he found himself face to face with a ghost. It was a problem that this wasn’t a spirit, it was steel, flesh and blood but nonetheless malevolent and Tanaka wasn’t even sure if it was there. A couple days earlier one of the sonar operators claimed that he had heard high speed screws somewhere near but it had faded out before he could get a fix.

Over the next two days the Destroyer had followed a generally southerly course until the navigator had told him that they were no longer in Japanese territorial waters. The Uzuki was rolling on calm seas as the sun was setting. Tanaka had ordered the engines to a dead stop to make one last attempt to find their elusive quarry, if it was even out there. After this they would need to return to port and Tanaka would have to explain to his superiors how he had chased echoes across the South Pacific. The image that came to his mind wasn’t a pleasant one, a dog chasing after its own tail.

The sun passed below the horizon and the whole world turned green. Clear day and deep water before darkness set in. The sonar operator was listening on his headphones for any sounds that were not attributable to nature. He heard nothing out of the ordinary, then he heard, it what sounded like water moving across the hull of a boat. The Uzuki was at full stop then that meant… nothing. It was gone again.

Otto Kretschmer was sitting in his chair smiling like a cat that had just eaten the canary as U-541 crept away from the Uzuki. For the last two days they had been running circles around that destroyer. The assignment had been to get a handle on what the Japanese were up to in the Marshal Islands and bring back photographs. U-541 had done that and then some. They had also acquired information on the ASW capabilities of the Japanese. Tonight, they would need to surface and recharge the batteries.

Last edited:
Hans was very lucky, and must be wondering quite a lot about Kat's transformation.

And to think, Japan had such a nice navy at the start the War...

2 days of cat-and-mouse underwater without recharging. Beautiful and lethal.

Good batteries on that sub. The Japanese were pants at ASW, but still...
And good call from Kat about talking to somebody resembling a psychologist for Jehane. A PTSD expert (or as close as it gets without being an actual shrink) is one of the best solutions for her (Jehane, I mean, because Kat already has so many screws loose that, for now, the best she can do is fake normalcy).

Countering the new design depends on someone knowing what it's capable of. Even if there's slight rumors, then table exercises will be run on the assumption of the enemy having super subs.
Is the new model sub designed for underwater performance at the expense of surface performance?
And--Germany is working on nuclear materials; even if they don't use a bomb, a few nuclear submarines will ruin anybody's day, especially if they have a good underwater hull form.

Part 21, Chapter 224
Chapter Two-Hundred Twenty-Four

5th June 1941

Wunsdorf-Zossen

“You’ve been summoned to Berlin, Lieutenant” Oberst Wruck said as he walked in. Kurt was hoping to evade official notice this morning, officialdom clearly had other ideas.

“Any idea what this is about?” Kurt asked.

“No” Wruck said “You’ve been called as a witness on a matter of honor.”

“What am I supposed to have witnessed?”

“The Hell if I know” Wruck replied “If you were the defendant I’d have some ideas, knocked up a girl or something stupid like that. But as a witness, no.”

That wasn’t exactly helpful.

“Any idea when I’m supposed to be there?” Kurt asked.

“This instant” Wruck said “The orders have already been cut, you’re on the next train into the city.”

Berlin

Peter Holz was listening to the story that Kat was telling him and he was finding it to be disturbing.

“…was the reason why Jehane’s Aunt Olga was totally dissociative, refusing to admit that whole episode of her life and everything that came after ever happened” Kat said “Jehane’s mother made a point of forcing her attackers to kill her after she pushed Jehane out the back. Under no circumstances was she going to have anything like that happen to her again.”

The story filled in several blanks that historians might be interested in, it also painted a bleak and brutal picture of both revolutionary Russia and Western Canada.

“You got all this from Jehane?” Peter asked.

“Yes” Kat said, “She has only the slightest inkling to the implications of some of the things she says.”

“And you’re worried about how this is manifesting itself?” Peter asked.

“It was a wonder that Jehane’s mother was able to get on with her life at all” Kat said “But she spent years consumed by fear that she passed on to Jehane, those fears were legitimate and the danger was real. Jehane is drawn to that danger like a moth to flame.”

“You are aware that you could say the same thing about yourself Kat” Peter observed.

“That’s different” Kat said.

“Care to explain?”

“It just is” Kat said, “I’ve never been someone that anyone would miss, Jehane’s mother cared enough to push her out the back.”

“That’s not true” Peter said “Your Aunt and Uncle, your brother, Maria Acker, your two friends, Helene and Gerta. All those are people who’d miss you. Even your father…”

“My father has been making himself scarce for the last six months” Kat said “Do you want to know what he did then? He got drunk and mistook me for my mother.”

“You told me about that at the time it happened” Peter said, “You also said that you came close to violence and refused to say what happened after that.”

“Aunt Marcella took him out with a beer bottle” Kat said, “Not much else to say, she’s been dealing with him when he’s like that for years.”

“Did it ever occur to you that your Aunt Marcella is probably the one person who has had more influence on your personality than anyone else?” Peter asked.

Kat sat in silence for a long moment.

“What does this have to do with what I told you?” She asked.

“It’s because of how you react” Peter said “The events you describe are terrible but Jehane is coping with them. If you want I can arrange for a colleague who specializes in children to see her, in fact that might be a good idea, but it’s your reaction I’m interested in. You seem to admire Jehane’s mother for doing what she did.”

“I don’t admire her” Kat said “I envy her sense of purpose. Her last thoughts were probably of Jehane who she had done her best for. All I do seems to be in a thick grey fog. No right or wrong, just survival and the occasional temporary victory.”

Kurt had arrived in Berlin and had been rushed to a public building that must have belonged to the OKW and was left sitting in the sort of room that was set up like he'd only seen in movies, military court? No one would tell him why he was here. He felt distinctly out of place here with his black Panzer Corps field uniform. The officers he saw around him all out ranked him by a wide margin.

General von Wolvogle walked in “Sorry about this Lieutenant Knispel” he said, “I was hoping to avoid having you dragged into this.”

“Would you mind telling me what this is about?” Kurt asked.

“Sorry Lieutenant” Wolvogle said “Just answer whatever questions they ask truthfully.”

A large number of men started entering the room. Kurt realized that these were the Brass’s Brass and all of them seemed to not be happy to be here. Had Wolvogle somehow kicked over the hornet’s nest again? A civilian wearing a black suit and tie walked in and gave General von Wolvogle a look of pure loathing. Kurt suddenly recognized the civilian, Louis Ferdinand, the Emperor.

“Shit” Kurt muttered.

This situation was looking more precarious by the second.

Kurt found himself being sworn in and was facing questioning from three generals. Now he knew what a mouse in a cattery felt like.

“Lieutenant Knispel” One of the Generals asked, “Could you tell us where you were on the 16th August last year.”

“I’m sorry” Kurt said with a tongue that suddenly felt as if it had been scoured with sand “If you could remind me.”

“Emperor Wilhelm the III's funeral” One of the Generals said.

“Oh” Kurt said, “I was there.”

“What can you tell us about that?”

“At the funeral itself there were these three girls who…” Kurt started to say. That brought a bit of laughter from around the court.

“Now, we understand that as a young man certain things are more likely to get your attention than others” The General said with a smile, that was totally not what Kurt was getting at. “But what we need to know about is the conversation that occurred between General von Wolvogle and the retired Emperor afterwards.”

Kurt gulped “The Emperor said that he felt his name was cursed and General von Wolvogle told him that it wasn’t” He said, “Then he made General von Wolvogle promise that the General would make it so that his funeral wouldn’t be a big production like his son’s. The Emperor said that it would be the General’s final duty to him.”

There was a buzzing around the courtroom as soon as Kurt said that. After that he was dismissed. It was only then that he learned that Emperor Wilhelm the II had died the night before. General von Wolvogle had gone to war with official Berlin over the handling of the Retired Emperor’s final arrangement’s. Wilhelm had asked for what amounted to a relatively simple soldier’s funeral with little fanfare. The dispute between Wolvogle and Louis Ferdinand had grown heated, eventually Wolvogle had called for a Court Martial if his actions were really unlawful and insubordinate. What that amounted to was a direct challenge to the legal authority of the Imperial throne on matters such as these. Kurt had been called to testify in the hearing that was to determine whether or not to proceed to trial. There was also the matter of the late Emperor’s wishes.

Last edited:
There was a buzzing around the courtroom as soon as Kurt said that. After that he was dismissed. It was only then that he learned that Emperor Wilhelm the II had died the night before. General von Wolvogle had gone to war with official Berlin over the handling of the Retired Emperor’s final arrangement’s. Wilhelm had asked for what amounted to a relatively simple soldier’s funeral with little fanfare. The dispute between Wolvogle and Louis Ferdinand had grown heated, eventually Wolvogle had called for a Court Martial if his actions were really unlawful and insubordinate. What that amounted to was a direct challenge to the legal authority of the Imperial throne on matters such as these. Kurt had been called to testify in the hearing that was to determine whether or not to proceed to trial. There was also the matter of the late Emperor’s wishes.

So the "Victor" of the First World War is dead.

Now wondering if the Russian will use this an an excuse to invade.

So Kurt just told the truth to the ultimate authority in a high stress environment, while making 3/4 of the General Staff laugh. While this won't go in his official record, whenever his name will pop up in reports or consideration for promotion they will remember.

Knispel the twice Bohemian will retire as GFM and inspector of the panzerwaffe.