I don't see the Americans being interested in revenge, it was just one hot head who decided to go against orders and attack Kat, and he got his just desserts. I would imagine they will do everything they can to make sure things go smoothly. After all do they want to be embarrassed by the murder of a 12 year old and her guardians on their territory.

Now an attack on board a liner is more likely, especially if its a German ship...

Jack is most likely running an "Export-Import" business after being dumped by ONI but he still has informal ties to them. He is mostly keeping tabs on Soviet commercial activity on the east coast and providing cover for Abwehr agents.

Part 20, Chapter 215
Chapter Two Hundred Fifteen

16th January 1941

Montreal, Quebec

Kat had finally gotten the hospital to agree to discharge Jehane but not before they’d had her for one more night. It was an annoyance because Kat had to find accommodation for the crew of the chartered DC-3 and the squad of Paras that had accompanied her to Canada. Kat herself had stayed in the hospital with Jehane. She knew from experience that sharing a hotel with Paras wasn’t something for the faint of heart especially after they got themselves thrown out of the bar. She also was glad that the German government would be picking up the tab, Kat had no desire to be bankrupted by this trip.

The next morning helping Jehane get dressed. With her arm in a tight sling and bandages wrapped around her chest had proven to be the most difficult part. Eventually they had managed and as Kat had arranged they were driven straight to the airport. But that had not prevented the very sort of problem that Kat had feared that the overnight delay would cause from occurring. Two of the Paras had grabbed an intruder and were currently holding him by the ankles and were in the process of shaking everything out of his pockets.

“The problem I have with you Ian is that I always find you hanging around in the most unwelcome places” Kat said, “I already know who this is, let him go.”

The Paras let Fleming go with a thud as he hit the hanger’s concrete floor.

“I suppose you find this terribly amusing” Fleming said, “I was just trying to find out some things for the King.”

“Which one?” Kat asked. She saw Fleming’s expression darken, England had a new King after the last one had to be locked up with a case of the “nerves” after the Spanish mess. Rumor had it that Edward VIII was currently presiding over his new kingdom in Bedlam Hospital.

“That girl is just as much a relative of King George as your Empress” Fleming said. Kat was suddenly glad that Jehane couldn’t understand German because she didn’t know the extent of her royal connections. The irony was that because Jehane was the issue of a Morganatic marriage Ian Fleming probably had a stronger claim on the Russian throne than she did. Kat was hoping to explain all of this to Jehane on the long flight home.

“Any other trouble you want to cause?” Kat asked.

“I don’t know if it’s trouble but if your plan is to switch planes in New York you might want to rethink that” Fleming said.

“What’s going on in New York?”

“Your dear friends from American Naval Intelligence and United States State Department want to have a word with you over what you did to their people last year in Australia” Fleming answered, “They don’t know about the girl but are planning on meeting you with what looked like several Companies of Marines as soon as you land.”

The Squad leader of the Paras started swearing when they heard that. It was exactly what Kat was thinking. It meant that they’d have to make other arrangements. Likely with the assistance of their Canadian and British hosts.

Kat absolutely hated what she was about to ask, “What do you have in mind that we do instead and what do you get out of it?”

Fleming smiled “I’ve already had your Lufthansa flight redirected to Goose Bay and the gratitude of the German Empress’s right hand is all I need” He said.

That was what Kat had been afraid of, this was a chit that the British agent could call in at any time.

“If it makes you feel any better the King himself doesn’t want any harm to come to the girl” Fleming said, “And this is how the game is played, Dame Katherine.”

Kat frowned, that might be true but she didn’t have to like it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Jehane looked around in amazement, the silver polished skin of the DC-3 reflected dully back as she boarded the airplane. Even with her limited understanding these men struck her as serious professionals. They seemed have respect for Kat and followed her requests for their own reasons. They called her kleine Katze with obvious affection. Whatever that meant.

Once Jehane was settled in her seat she looked out the window as the airplane raced down the runway and the ground dropped away. She thought she’d feel more fear as the buildings swiftly looked like models but instead she just felt detached. Then the airplane flew through clouds and it lurched around and she found her good hand clutching the armrest with white knuckled intensity.

“There’s nothing to be scared of” Kat said, “It’s just a bit of turbulence.”

“What was that all about back there?” Jehane asked.

“I had some difficulty with a couple of Americans last year in New South Wales” Kat said, “They had apparently decided to take it up with me if we landed in New York as planned. So, we made other plans.”

“What do you mean by difficulty?” Jehane asked, wide eyed. What would a woman like Kat consider difficult?

“Nothing that I couldn’t handle” Kat said. She got up and took off her coat, rolled it up and put it overhead rack. In addition to her holstered pistol she had several other weapons hidden under there. She pulled out a small knife with a wicked looking blade and handed it to Jehane.

“It’s called a karambit” Kat said as she took off the belt most of her weapons were attached to and placed it in the overhead “Small, easy to hide and in skilled hands is a nasty surprise. This is what I used to protect myself in Australia.” The holstered pistol followed the other items and Kat threw herself into the seat next to Jehane.

“Why do you have all that?” Jehane asked.

“Because the world is a rough place” Kat answered. Kat noticed that Jehane had made no move to give the karambit back “If you want I’ll teach you to use that and have Schaffer make one for you.”

“You would do that for me?” Jehane asked.

“Why not” Kat replied, “It’s important that you can take care of yourself.”

Jehane smiled, it was the first time that Kat had seen her do that. Then it faded.

“You said that you’d tell why my cousin couldn’t come herself” Jehane said.

Kat sighed, this was going to be a difficult conversation Jehane’s family had kept her in the dark for her own protection but the time for that was at an end.

“Your cousin is the Empress of the German Empire and the Queen consort of Poland, Slovakia and Bohemia” Kat said, “She is also the Grand Mistress of the Order of Louise, that is the capacity in which she ordered me to retrieve you.”

Jehane was sitting there with a shocked look on her face.

“Your Grandfather was the exiled Czar of Russia” Kat said “That is why we suspect Russian agents killed your family.”

Last edited:
Chapter Two Hundred Fourteen

I see Kat is being her usual subtle self threatening an act of war as a negotiating tactic.

I'd be interested to find out what sort of deal was worked out between Canada and Germany over custody of the girl, because without a deal of some sort there is no way Canada would release a minor Canadian citizen to a distant foreign relation if her fathers relatives are available. Even if there are no other relatives there would be a deal that the hospital would have been notified about. Without such a pre-negotiated deal the scene at the hospital just feels wrong.

Also the apparent absence of a protective detail at the hospital rings false. Since this was an attack on the family and the girl is the daughter of a Canadian police official as well as related to foreign aristocracy, there would be certainly be some sort of protection at the hospital and they would be in charge of access and release rather than the doctor (except on strictly medical issues).

Some minor nits.

Ontario and Quebec are both provinces so I assume you meant Montreal, Quebec as the location of the hospital.

You referred to the girls father as both a soldier and an RCMP captain. Neither would be correct as RCMP are police not soldiers. Also there is no such rank as Captain in the RCMP. The lowest commissioned rank is Inspector and they wear the insignia of an army Major.

I'm enjoying the story but these scenes just felt off to me.

West Coast: "You referred to the girls father as both a soldier and an RCMP captain. Neither would be correct as RCMP are police not soldiers. Also there is no such rank as Captain in the RCMP. The lowest commissioned rank is Inspector and they wear the insignia of an army Major."

I've reviewed this section of the story three times and I never see any reference to the father as a soldier or a RCMP captain, just a member of the RCMP.
Where is this stated?

One comment, IOTL Goose Bay RCAF base was not established until the summer of 1941. Maybe in this timeline it was established earlier.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy the story.

West Coast: "You referred to the girls father as both a soldier and an RCMP captain. Neither would be correct as RCMP are police not soldiers. Also there is no such rank as Captain in the RCMP. The lowest commissioned rank is Inspector and they wear the insignia of an army Major."

I've reviewed this section of the story three times and I never see any reference to the father as a soldier or a RCMP captain, just a member of the RCMP.
Where is this stated?

One comment, IOTL Goose Bay RCAF base was not established until the summer of 1941. Maybe in this timeline it was established earlier.

Keep up the good work, I really enjoy the story.

I did edit the post based on the feedback given. I do that when I feel that I made an error.

It's good to see Kat being afforded professional respect, and moreover her conversation with Jehane highlights what Peter Holz said about the trip being good for her. Perhaps James Bond will have a professional firecracker femme fatale as his Abwher counterpart, rather than Felix Leiter.

What in the world are the Americans in NYC thinking with that kind of a stunt? Are they actually defending JFK and the walking idiot, and wanting revenge against Kat. If ever two warranted persona non grata-you're fired status, it was JFK and the idiot for that. I can't imagine why they'd want to mess with her at ALL, given the circles she's running in.

Kat absolutely hated what she was about to ask, “What do you have in mind that we do instead and what do you get out of it?”

Fleming smiled “I’ve already had your Lufthansa flight redirected to Goose Bay and the gratitude of the German Empress’s right hand is all I need” He said.

That was what Kat had been afraid of, this was a chit that the British agent could call in at any time.

“If it makes you feel any better the King himself doesn’t want any harm to come to the girl” Fleming said, “And this is how the game is played, Dame Katherine.”

Kat frowned, that might be true but she didn’t have to like it.

If fleming is anything like his fictional counterpart:

Ian Fleming and Kat Mischner. True Love......

“I don’t know if it’s trouble but if your plan is to switch planes in New York you might want to rethink that” Fleming said.

“What’s going on in New York?”

“Your dear friends from American Naval Intelligence and United States State Department want to have a word with you over what you did to their people last year in Australia” Fleming answered, “They don’t know about the girl but are planning on meeting you with what looked like several Companies of Marines as soon as you land.”

I assume that "word" mean lock you up and torture you?

Its your own stupidity in the first place, damn yanks.

What in the world are the Americans in NYC thinking with that kind of a stunt? Are they actually defending JFK and the walking idiot, and wanting revenge against Kat. If ever two warranted persona non grata-you're fired status, it was JFK and the idiot for that. I can't imagine why they'd want to mess with her at ALL, given the circles she's running in.

To quote the man himself:-

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

Your dear friends from American Naval Intelligence and United States State Department want to have a word with you over what you did to their people last year in Australia” Fleming answered, “They don’t know about the girl but are planning on meeting you with what looked like several Companies of Marines as soon as you land.”

If that doesn't sounds like one HELL of a Chip in the shoulder and Bruised Ego Syndrome i eat my hat.

Seems that Kat's stunt in Australia while not outwardly damaging relationships, under the surface seems to have caused quite a bit of damage in what Intelligence and Diplomatic Channels and ops, at least on what to Germany and Britain and its Dominions refers.

And the moron in chief who likely deployed the Op in Australia it was trying to regain some pride here . This also may have consequences, as the US will get paranoid in HOW the Germans got warned to the point of deviating the Lufthansa flight to Canada, incorrectly chalking it to a deeper penetration of the German Intelligence agencies into the US Government and Their intelligence branches.

The sequels of this ironically may drive the US Government in a more anti German direction

If that doesn't sounds like one HELL of a Chip in the shoulder and Bruised Ego Syndrome i eat my hat.

Seems that Kat's stunt in Australia while not outwardly damaging relationships, under the surface seems to have caused quite a bit of damage in what Intelligence and Diplomatic Channels and ops, at least on what to Germany and Britain and its Dominions refers.

And the moron in chief who likely deployed the Op in Australia it was trying to regain some pride here . This also may have consequences, as the US will get paranoid in HOW the Germans got warned to the point of deviating the Lufthansa flight to Canada, incorrectly chalking it to a deeper penetration of the German Intelligence agencies into the US Government and Their intelligence branches.

The sequels of this ironically may drive the US Government in a more anti German direction

Of course, this is all assuming that Fleming is telling the truth...

Also, it would be hilarious if Fleming had dropped a Minox camera and a PPK

Part 20, Chapter 216
Chapter Two Hundred Sixteen

17th January 1941

Berlin

The promised airfield in Labrador hadn’t exactly been what was promised. A hair-raising landing on a recently cleared plateau, fortunately for them it was frozen otherwise it would have been a sea of mud. The DC-3 was designed to land on unprepared airfields so that part had worked. Still Kat had decided that she owed Fleming a major ass kicking in return for landing them in the middle of a vast construction site that had been abandoned for the winter.

Their luck turned when a Luftwaffe Ju-90 landed instead of the expected Condor airliner. Getting the call from Fleming had set off alarms somewhere in officialdom. The crew of the DC-3 had discovered that they could get fuel from the nearby settlement. That meant that Kat wasn’t leaving them stranded. The crew said that when they got back to New York they’d have bragging rights as to having flown with an infamous femme fatale onboard. Was that how they saw her?

When the plane had landed at Tempelhof they had taxied to the hangers used by the military, the same place where Kat had said goodbye to Maria more than a year earlier. During the long flight from Labrador to Berlin Kat had an epiphany about what needed to happen. If Jehane was ever going to have any sort of life then Kat would have to do something radical. The Empress wasn’t going to like it but Kat hoped to be able to talk her around to seeing her way of seeing things.

Kat made a phone call before they rode the S-Bahn into Central Berlin.

“I’m terribly sorry about this” Kat said to Jehane as they got off the train “I know you’re probably tired.”

Jehane was still excited about being in the middle of the city. That would wear off soon and she’d be in pain again.

She led Jehane down a flight of stairs to a waiting light gauge train that transported goods and services deep under the streets of the city. Kat had called the engineer that ran one of these trains. They rode on a car that was half full of giant rolls of pulp paper. Destined to be newsprint in a few hours, Kat knew that just by the smell. The train stopped and Kat stepped off into darkness.

Kat picked the lock on a steel grate that blocked the tunnel and walked through. There was another stairwell.

“We’re almost there” Kat said. Jehane just nodded. Kat knew that they were near her limit but it was important that they not be seen. They emerged on a city street just a dozen meters or so from the service entrance of the Hohenzollern Palace.

Kat was a common enough sight around there lately that she was let in with no questions asked. It was early evening so everything was still in full swing. Kat found a place for Jehane to sit down while the Empress was notified of her presence.

“This is irregular Kat” Kira said, unhappy with that.

“I’m sorry” Kat said, “But we need to talk about the three of us.”

“Three?” Kira said, “She’s here?”

“Yes” Kat answered, “But there’s something you need to understand.”

Jehane was leaning against the wall, asleep.

“She looks a lot like her mother, except for the black hair which is so very different” Kira said, “Did the Canadians give you any trouble?”

“No” Kat said “They selected guards for the Romanov family on the basis that they had few connections and could spend years at a time in an isolated location. Her father was one of those guards.”

“So, she has no other family?” Kira asked.

“Yes and no” Kat said, “That’s what I need to talk to you about, you can’t be her family either.”

Kira looked at Kat in surprise.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kira asked.

“She’s not of this world” Kat said “Her family lived in what was just slightly more than a rustic cabin in the woods. You bring her here into this world and all she will ever be is a tool to further other people’s ambitions. She’ll have no life at all. You ordered me to keep her safe by any means I deemed fit. If I’m going to follow that order I need to protect her from more than just the Russians.”

Kat knew that she’d just told the Empress of Germany that she lived in a gilded cage and there would be consequences but she was beyond caring.

“Just what are you suggesting?” Kira asked.

“That we need to kill Jehane Thomas” Kat said, “It’s the only way she’ll be free, from the Romanovs and the Soviets. If she wants this life then it can be her choice when she’s ready.”

“That sounds insane” Kira said.

“It will only take a single phone call” Kat replied.

“You’re still responsible for what happens to her.”

“I understand that” Kat said, “Now if you could take me to a telephone so I can make a couple phone calls.”

Jehane woke up to a woman smiling sadly at her.

“Hello there” She said, “I understand you are Jehane.”

“Who are you?” Jehane asked.

“I’m Kira and I happen to be your cousin but you must not tell anyone that” Kira said.

This woman was the Empress of Germany?

“Our friend Kat has arranged a place for you where you can just live in peace and heal” Kira said, “In a little bit, her Uncle Klaus will come for the two of you.”

It hadn't taken quite as much effort to convince the Empress as Kat thought it would. She suspected that there was more going on there then she knew.

Fredrich Grossmann answered the phone on the second ring.

“You were angry with me because I neglected to mention that I knew the Emperor was philandering toad” Kat said, “How about I make that up to you.”

“It will take a lot to make up for that” Grossmann said.

“How about details of the massacre of the Romanovs who were hiding in Canada” Kat said. She heard the sharp intake of Grossmann’s breath and knew she had him. She told him everything she knew including the names of all the deceased. One name she’d included was Jehane Alexandra Thomas-Romanova. If someday Jehane wanted to reclaim her identity that was still a possibility, it would serve Grossmann right for rushing hearsay to print. She doubted that he would ever think to phone anyone in Canada. The odds were good that it would just become one of those stories that the public ate up with rumored sightings and what not, it was helped that no one knew what Jehane looked like. All the other newspapers would follow the lead of the BT to avoid getting scooped. Kat knew that the Russians would catch that news and view it as confirmation of Jehane’s death. Tomorrow Jehane would get a new identity and leave her old life of hiding in a forest behind forever.

Last edited:
For someone who hates the game, Kat's quickly becoming the Martha Argerich of cloak-and-dagger. Witness Protection Programming Jehane is quite a stroke.
For allthat she hates the Game, from a point, she learned one fact that she is applying from a few years ago:

If you don't like the Game, CHANGE it into one what you can Play and still stare yourself back in the Mirror each morning without problems.

Its likely that Lang already has his eye in her, for the future if she still is in a high position.

Of course, this could be the final straw leading to his retirement. He's got nothing to show for it save two agents busy in a hospital bed, some bad PR in Australia, which means Britain is now really upset, and Germany knows that their spies are better.

It looks like the murders of the Romanovs in Canada was the first phase in the elimination of any possible heirs to the Russian throne, now the main targets all along will be the Empress Kira and her two sons.

It looks like the murders of the Romanovs in Canada was the first phase in the elimination of any possible heirs to the Russian throne, now the main targets all along will be the Empress Kira and her two sons.

Of corse murdering the Kaiser's wife is not the best idea. Stalin may be crazy, but even he knew where to stop. Usually.