Here's a fun thought from the latest two updates.

Honestly, Emil's soldiers might just have done as much for Kat's mental health and sense of place in the world as anything because they gave her the ability and wherewithal to act instead of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Hence the comment to her aunt about the "two Americans."

Also, she's now one fierce lady, with an Order of Lousie and possibly the most fearsome big brothers imaginable in the elite paratroopers. That's not counting her Uncle Emil.

I can't wait to see Helene and Gerta's reactions to Kat's adventures and how she's changed.

Betwen her own skills, the Abwehr keeping an eye on her and the paras adopting her as their little sister, anyone who messes with Kat will learn the true meaning of the phrase 'world of hurt'.

Betwen her own skills, the Abwehr keeping an eye on her and the paras adopting her as their little sister, anyone who messes with Kat will learn the true meaning of the phrase 'world of hurt'.
I think that the paras adopting Kat as a junior but fully capable member of their fraternity will be good for her self-esteem.

I say the paras recruit her for behind the enemy line covert actions :)

That would not be easy; she'd have to believe that it was good forher and Germany, and that she could. If anyone deserves to say, "I've done my share," it's her.

That would not be easy; she'd have to believe that it was good forher and Germany, and that she could. If anyone deserves to say, "I've done my share," it's her.

Yeah, it's really more the case that they have her back when she says NO to that sort of recruitment mission.

Part 19, Chapter 208
Chapter Two Hundred Eight

12th August 1940

Berlin

Kat was listening on a pair of headphones to a series of tones, she was supposed signal which ear she was hearing and when she heard it as a technician was keeping notes. As the test concluded Kat glanced over the technician’s shoulder. Literalizes to left, right normal, left sensorineural loss. What was that supposed to mean? She had met Doctor Holz at the University Clinic. He had commented that it was nice to see her dressed in an age and seasonally appropriate manner, after all it was the summer and Kat wasn’t seventy years old.

“If we’re done here” Peter said, “It’s too nice a day to spend inside.”

Kat followed Peter out onto the streets of Central Berlin. It was a nice afternoon with the sky filled with puffy white clouds. They were walking from the University Clinic in the direction of the river.

“If you could tell me what that was all about?” Kat asked Peter.

“I wanted to see where we stood in some regards” Peter said, “And I wanted to see how you were adjusting. Emil told me a great deal in his letter and we have a lot to talk about.”

“You mean that thing at the Yule party?”

“I can think of a lot of things about that party that we can talk about” Peter said, “That you were assaulted, leaving two men bleeding on the sidewalk and seemed to enjoy it is a bit worrying. Not to mention the fact that you used it to get out of a socially awkward situation.”

“That boy was a bore and he tried to kiss me” Kat said.

“If you hadn’t been attacked and he’d continued with his advances would he have been the one left bleeding on the sidewalk?” Peter asked.

“I don’t know” Kat said, “I wanted him to back off.”

“I notice that you just ducked answering the question” Peter said “There is also what’s going on with Maria. How do you feel about that? I know about your personal issues on these matters.”

Kat had been here with Peter before. He would continue shifting from question to question until Kat stopped evading no matter how long it took.

“Maria wants this” Kat said, “Her and Emil will be wonderful parents.”

“That’s a bit of an evasion” Peter said, “I know you have issues with that and you use it avoid intimate relationships.”

“You mean with sex and pregnancy” Kat said.

“Those two things are not inextricably linked” Peter said, “There’s an elective surgery that could be done and you’d never have to think about it again.”

Kat stopped walking and blanched at that idea “That’s not what I want” She said, repulsed that he'd make such a suggestion.

“Then what do you want?” Peter asked. For months now he had listened to Kat talk all around the issue and it was clear that she was torn on the matter. It was also clear that she used it as an excuse.

“I don’t know” Kat said, “I always thought that…”

“You always have thought that there are possibilities” Peter said, “You are terrified that what happened to your mother will happen to you. At the same time, there is part of you that wants that door to be open for yourself, someday.”

Kat didn’t say anything, she just kept walking. It occurred to Peter that he might have just pushed Kat a little too far with that suggestion. His job as a Doctor was to present all options to those under his care so they could be informed, frequently those were unpleasant. It was clear what Kat thought of the idea.

Finally, Kat broke her silence “That is true enough” She said, “But someday is not today and probably that day will never come.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

The state of America made Lang was glad that he wasn’t a citizen of that country. Their ongoing election season seemed like a choice between getting shot and setting your head set on fire. The lessons of the prior decade seemed to have been discarded in the form of two candidates, the current Vice President John Garner and a Senator named Arthur Vandenberg. Both men were conservatives and seemed to favor America withdrawing from foreign entanglements. Lang had seen what American exceptionalism and isolationism looked like first hand while getting shot at in Verdun with American munitions payed for with American loans while America was supposedly neutral. There was also a substantial unrest across the Atlantic as American Labor was furious that no matter who won they would not have a voice in the new administration.

Lang was trying to think of how his own country could have taken a course for national suicide like that. The only thing he could think of is if certain factions of the far left or far right gained total control and started a new Great War with the rest the world. Not that things were coming up roses here. The British Prime Minister had abruptly resigned sighting health concerns resulting in the collapse of the Government. New elections were about to happen and the outcome could complicate Germany’s efforts around the globe. At least France was showing signs of resuming their place as an economic power within Europe. Lang had found the systematic looting of the portions of France that had been occupied that had taken place at the end of the Great War to have been short sighted. It had taken North-Eastern France years to rebuild and it had become a drag on the regional economy which included portions of Germany.

The news from Emil was better, it was estimated that Junkers was year away from commencing aircraft production in Australia. More Ju-52s had been built in Argentina than had been built in Germany and it was figured that Ju-90s manufactured locally would be perfect for plying the long-distance routes of South-East Asia. The four-wheel drive version of the Volkswagen Kubelwagen and Opel Blitz had topped test marketing there. Those two vehicles were commencing production in existing faculties. Something that suited the OKW just fine, both those vehicles were heavily used for military logistics. Lang had forwarded Emil’s report to South America via special courier so that adjustments could be made there too.

Lang heard a church bell tolling slowly nearby, this was picked up by others across the city. It was the first time that this had been done since shortly after the Reichstag bombing. It felt like just when Lang had started to make progress then everything fell apart again. Who had died this time?

Last edited:
I'm betting on the old Kaiser kicking it (he died 1941 OTL, and a year ahead of schedule doesn't seem far-fetched given that he was well into his eighties nonetheless)

As for America, it's going insane while Germany becomes the economic ruler of Europe with much less of the nastiness in OTL.

And Kat is still a broken bird, even if there are folks around her helping her pick up the pieces.

Another wonderful piece, connecting the pieces scattered worldwide. I suspect that Kat wouldn't have left the bore bleeding on the ground, but in Germany, it's known in the newspaper field that pressing yourself on her leads to "a world of pain," if I remember the quote correctly. I suspect that a knee strike would have been involved if he didn't get the message.

Was Peter's suggestion even something to be mentioned in Germany at the time? I know that, in OTL's USA, it would likely get him jailed.

As for enjoying the incident, well, there's many kinds of enjoyment, especially after the fact. Remember Churchill's comment about there being nothing as exhilerating as to be shot at...and missed. She easily could have killed both of them. It says something about her confidence or her sense of proportion, as I look back at the scene, that she welcomed someone turning up with a gun--also that she thought about the dress first, and that she hadn't killed anyone second.

I can see spy types deciding to stay away from her--unless someone decides to just eliminate her when it can be done tracelessly, perhaps a long range sniper shot when she's in Chile or somewhere like that. She's got a much better life than she would have if the Abwger hadn't found her--when will she realize how good she has it, despite the mayhem.

Good thing she's got paratrooper friends!

Your writing is excellent, makes me want to see what happens next to the characters and the world, in that order.

Was Peter's suggestion even something to be mentioned in Germany at the time? I know that, in OTL's USA, it would likely get him jailed.

Germany in TTL is not the same one from OTL obviously. In the US the Comstock laws were in effect so you couldn't even mention a lot of things legally. In Germany this was about the absolute height of power for the Nazis, under their laws a young woman like Kat would have been seen as little more than an incubator.

Germany in TTL is not the same one from OTL obviously. In the US the Comstock laws were in effect so you couldn't even mention a lot of things legally. In Germany this was about the absolute height of power for the Nazis, under their laws a young woman like Kat would have been seen as little more than an incubator.

The USA, for a "free country," was rather repressive in a lot of ways. I'm wondering how free Germany is when it comes to such things--clearly well ahead of the USA.

Incidentally, what's the status of Lettow-Vorbeck in this timeline?

FBKampfer

Banned
Sounds like the near beer popular in the Rocky Mountain States. Yet one more reason to stay on the this side of the Cascades, some of the best breweries in the world are located in PDX.

You in Portland as well? Good on you, I suppose.

And excellent writing. I know others have suggested it, but you should consider reformatting this for publication. It's absolutely enthralling.

Part 20, Chapter 209
Chapter Two Hundred Nine

16th August 1940

Berlin

It was an old joke. “I wouldn’t be caught dead like that.” Wilhelm III, Emperor of Germany had been caught dead in a situation that was just like that. He had suffered a massive coronary while engaged in an act that would have been a scandal in of itself even if the woman he’d been doing it with had not been half his age and clearly not the Empress. Thus, Wilhelm III was sent off to eternity at the age of fifty-eight still having a noticeable grin on his face even while the medics were wheeling him out of the house of ill repute where he died in a manner which many might say was exactly how he’d lived.

As a part of the Empress Cecilie’s retinue Kat was required to be present at the funeral along with Gerta and Helene wearing a stifling black dress supposedly in mourning for a man none of them had ever met. “It’s mostly so we’ll be present to keep her from doing something to the corpse or the casket” Helene had said. Kat had heard the Empress speak of her unhappy marriage before and had been afraid that she might let slip what she knew to the BT while she worked there. As it had turned out the third hand information that Kat had wasn’t even the half of it and now everyone knew. Kat couldn’t help but notice that Fredrich Grossmann had shot her an accusatory glare as she walked past on her way in. Kat had heard that the Emperor was a womanizer and had never followed up on it. She had assumed that was the sort thing for the sleazier of the tabloids to cover. Clearly Grossmann didn’t agree her perspective on the matter.

“The Order is to be renewed” The Empress had said earlier “I expect that all of you will give the new Empress your full support, and that involves actually showing up.” Kat had noticed that she was the subject of a withering look as Cecilie had said that last part. It was clearly one of those days where everyone was going to be angry with her so she’d have to ride this out.

“They’re cute when their still puppies” Helene whispered to Kat and Gerta.

The eighteen-year-old aide of Gerta’s father was standing a few feet away wearing the dress uniform of the Panzer Corps. The last time Kat had seen him was last spring when she’d been twisting his arm out of the socket. He had heard what Helene had said and his face was turning bright crimson.

“Yeah” Gerta whispered “But then they grow up and become like my father and you have to find a nice home in the country for them.”

“I had heard that was a euphemism for having them put down” Helene whispered back “You are good at that sort of thing, right Kat?

The expression on the boy’s face had turned was looking distinctly uncomfortable. Who knew what sort of things that he might have been told about what Kat had done?

“Cut it out you two and show some respect” Kat hissed, louder than she intended which earned her another round of glares.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kurt had survived the funeral, General von Wolvogle had left him in the proximity of the three furies. He had heard the scuttlebutt as to what Dame Katherine had gotten up to on her summer holiday. Yes, she had gone to Australia but that had included getting stabby on at least one occasion and playing a strange cat & mouse game with British intelligence, with Paras. It was obvious who had played the role of cat in that game. Then there were the other two, word was that Helene had bulled her way into her University’s flying club by showing up and daring them to tell her no. Rumors were rife that she was planning on following in her father’s footsteps whether General von Richthofen, or the world, liked it or not. Gerta had gotten serious about her acting career with the sort of single minded manic energy that he’d only seen with her and her father.

Personally, Kurt would rather face the entire Russian Army buck naked than to face these three terrifying young women. Listening to them compare him to a stray puppy had been agonizing.

“You survived it” General von Wolvogle said “Those three aren’t as bad as you make them out to be.” It was easy for the General to say that, they were not in the least bit interested in him. Even if they did poke fun at him the General would just filter them out like he did with anything he disliked.

Arrangements were being made for the remains of Wilhelm III to be transported to Potsdam where he was to be interned in the Garrison Church next to Frederick the Great. The detail that Fredrick the Great would have preferred to have been buried next to his dogs on his Potsdam estate was immaterial. This also suggested a great deal about ego of Wilhelm III and what he thought would be his place in history. Something that no one present was going to say aloud. The retired Emperor was seated next to the casket of his son as those wishing condolences passed through. Louis Ferdinand was elsewhere at the moment.

General von Lettow-Vorbeck was passing through ahead of them, he and General von Wolvogle somberly greeted each other with a great deal of familiarity. The General called the Lion of Africa had become a prolific author since the end of the Great War. He’d been an outspoken critic of the treaty ending the war and ceding the African colonies. It didn’t surprise Kurt that the two of them knew each other. “My Aide, Oberfähnrich Knispel” Wolvogle said introducing him. He shook Kurt’s hand and walked towards the exit.

“Sad day, Sir” Wolvogle said to the retired Emperor.

“Thank you, Manfred” Wilhelm said. He looked like he’d aged a thousand years over the last few days “To lose a son is no easy thing as you know.”

“I regret to say I say that I do” Wolvogle said.

“First my grandson in Spain and now this” Wilhelm said, “I’m starting to think that my name is cursed.”

“Your grandson was an inspiration” Wolvogle said “That is not the stuff of a curse.”

It was noticeable that Wolvogle hadn’t mentioned the son in the casket.

“I’ll need to take your word for it” Wilhelm said “It’s said that the best thing that I ever did as Emperor was stepping aside and it’s a conclusion that I agree with. As a favor to me I want you make sure that my proper place in history remains exactly as it is, when my time comes don’t bother with all this ritual as your final duty to me.”

“I’ll do my best, Sir” Wolvogle said.

“Thank you for that Manfred” Wilhelm said “You’ve always been a true friend.”

Last edited:
Poor Wilhelm II, he just can't catch a break.

I was hoping Gerta would join the panzer divisions. For reasons.

Yay! Helene is going to be the Pink Baron. I hope.

Nice!!! Your writing varies between a source of inspiration, in hopes that I can reach close to your level, and despair, that I'll not be able to. Kurt's not going to be too much of a womanizer, I'd say--or if he ever IS, he'd direct intelligence to get him a dossier on the woman of interest. "Getting stabby" is a great turn of phrase; and so suitable for the current situation.

Embarrassing, Wilhelm II's fate is. It'll be interesting to see how the press runs with it, both foreign and domestic.

Poor Willie, losing both his son and grandson like this is tough. Fortunately, Kaiser Louis Ferdinand will be excellent.

Nice touch Harding-ing the Kaiser.

Chapter Two Hundred Nine

“Sad day, Sir” Wolvogle said to the retired Emperor.

“Thank you, Manfred” Wilhelm said. He looked like he’d aged a thousand years over the last few days “To lose a son is no easy thing as you know.”

“I regret to say I say that I do” Wolvogle said.

“First my grandson in Spain and now this” Wilhelm said, “I’m starting to think that my name is cursed.”

“Your grandson was an inspiration” Wolvogle said “That is not the stuff of a curse.”

It was noticeable that Wolvogle hadn’t mentioned the son in the casket.

“I’ll need to take your word for it” Wilhelm said “It’s said that the best thing that I ever did as Emperor was stepping aside and it’s a conclusion that I agree with. As a favor to me I want you make sure that my proper place in history remains exactly as it is, when my time comes don’t bother with all this ritual as your final duty to me.”

“I’ll do my best, Sir” Wolvogle said.

“Thank you for that Manfred” Wilhelm said “You’ve always been a true friend.”

You ever see the movie "Grand Theft Parsons", https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Parsons ? Maybe we might see the General and his aide, with some help from the 3 furies, do the same. As in Grand Theft Wihelm?