So much has happened since I was last able to catch up on this story. Damn I will admit I do NOT feel bad for the Frau. She went way to far and with the ascent approval of Schultz. Now she has been burned and will be buried away to grow insane and cursing Kat to the end of her days.

Kat is working with Maria and maybe in some ways this will work out for the best. With her training from Imperial Shipping, and the mentoring from Maria, she will be able to go her own way. She may well come back into the fold of the Abwehr, but on her own terms. I look forward to reading more about her growth and how things will go for her.

Maria got a story and may be on the way to solving an even deeper story. This may lead her into running into Emil and perhaps more sparks will fly between those two.

I laughed when I read about Emil's idea of showing the actor what he does and is. I will wonder how much cleanup might be needed after that drop, even if the actor lives. Clean pants may be the least of things. :)

I love the Kat plot. Kats are dangerous when provoked, and can be patient. I see an outside possibility of reconciliation and working together--if Schults is willing to do it on her terms. Now that she's in the newspaper business, her value's gone up. Also, she's demonstrated that she can be effective in finding things out, and trustworthy; she left narry a clue about Imperial Shipping.

I love the Kat plot. Kats are dangerous when provoked, and can be patient. I see an outside possibility of reconciliation and working together--if Schults is willing to do it on her terms. Now that she's in the newspaper business, her value's gone up. Also, she's demonstrated that she can be effective in finding things out, and trustworthy; she left narry a clue about Imperial Shipping.

Actually, I dare say the Frau's plan worked, only Kat proved her wrong in a different way than she probably would have hoped for. The sheer sadism of that wretch makes the punishment fit the crime in an eye for eye sense.

Actually, I dare say the Frau's plan worked, only Kat proved her wrong in a different way than she probably would have hoped for. The sheer sadism of that wretch makes the punishment fit the crime in an eye for eye sense.

And the Frau will be out of sight for her sore eyes for the rest of her life. So a very fitting punishment Old Testament style.

I have a feeling (that unless your name is Jacob and your wife's name is Ester), that one does not simply 'leave the Abwehr. But Shulz may try a less direct rerecruitment method first, knowing him.

Part 16, Chapter 170
Chapter One Hundred Seventy

23rd December 1938

Berlin

Schultz was reminded of something that he’d once seen about how if dogs were the size of horses then people would still keep them around. Cats on the other hand were different matter, if they were twice as big people would consider them too dangerous. Kat was very much like her namesake tonight, back up and spitting mad. She had only agreed to this meeting because Schulz had threatened to involuntarily recall her. Schultz had hoped that a public setting would make her think twice about creating a scene. He had invited her to a restaurant in Central Berlin and watched as she made a point of ordering the most expensive item in the menu.

“I can understand why you’re angry” Schultz said.

“You can’t” Kat said sharply “If I happened to have a von in front of my name or was one of your daughters the ideas that led to what happened would have never even crossed your mind.”

Schultz paused for a moment, Kat was probably right about that.

“And you had no idea that where I come from every girl knows that one bit of misfortune could land her in the orbit of that sort of viper out of desperation” Kat continued “If Frau Alscher had suggested some of her other tactics, like the ones involving drugs or beatings would you have gone along with that?”

Kat finally paused and took a bite of, well, she had no idea of what she was eating. Schultz sat there ashamed. He had never considered any of those things and if Kat had different background this wouldn’t have happened. Of course, Kat would never have been recruited in the first place. Disposable commodity was the term that was used, the rub was that Kat obviously didn’t see herself as disposable or any sort of commodity.

“What happened was not what we wanted” Schultz said, “You were supposed to learn to pass yourself off as more than are.”

“Things didn’t work out so well did they” Kat said curtly.

“For that you have my apologies” Schultz said.

“That’s not good enough for me” Kat replied.

“I wish it was” Schultz said, “You can’t exactly walk away from all of this.”

The look on Kat’s said her answer to that, watch me.

“It’s to your credit that you haven’t burned Imperial Shipping or engaged in any asinine blackmail attempts” Schultz said “But Abwehr has a great deal invested in you and one way or another they are going to try to get a return on that investment.”

“They are going to be disappointed” Kat said.

“Then I wish you luck” Schultz said.

“It’s goodbye then, Herr Schultz” Kat said as she got up and disappeared from the room.

As the waiter collected Kat’s plate Schaffer took her place.

“You win some and lose some, Sir” Schaffer said.

“It’s never that simple” Schultz said, “This is a game where you have to play for a whole season that never ends.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Schaffer asked.

“It means that we’d be fools to assume that Fraulein Mischner is gone forever” Schultz said, “But if she comes back it must be her choice.”

“It’s a shame really” Schaffer said, “She was fun to have around.”

Hohenasperg Prison

Sauvageot was working on the door. Years earlier he had concluded that the only way in or out of this cell was through the that door. The window was at the bottom of a crack between two buildings and was too narrow. The walls were concrete and even if he had tools it would take months to dig out. The problem he had was noise. If he somehow managed to get the door open every guard in the proximity would hear what he was planning. Time had taken care of that for him. With tomorrow being Christmas Eve the guards had thrown themselves an unofficial party. As was their annual ritual they came around and rubbed the prisoners face in the fact that they were enjoying themselves. This year Sauvageot had a special present just for them and no one would be paying attention when he gave it to them.

One of the features of steel was that it bent before it broke. The door was made of mild steel which had been face hardened. That made it perfect for what Sauvageot was doing, he was bending the door. Levering it a few millimeters and then wedging it. It was a long painstaking process and he was surprised when the bolt gave way, sheared off in the wall.

The hallway was exactly what one would imagine of a dungeon like this, poorly lit and narrow. It was all Sauvageot could do not to jump out of his skin when a figure lurched around the corner in into the hallway. The smell of alcohol was overwhelming as the guard staggered up to him.

“What’re you doing out of your cell?” Heydrich slurred.

Sauvageot smiled “It’s because we have unfinished business.”

A few hours later Reinhart Heydrich was found with his head bashed in along with three other guards who had been strangled or bludgeoned. By then Sauvageot had made good his escape believed to have used Heydrich’s keys to exit the prison.

Really liked how you handled the whole Kat situation, especially Schultz phlegmatic reaction to what was his own fuck up. Nicely done sir.

Great scenes. Sauvageot has a long way to go before he gets out of Germany, and Kat's got herself a job. I wonder if Kat somehow gets involved in the escape from the prison scene, or if Schultz tries to reach out to Kat, merely asking that, if you see this escaped murder, or hear about him, please tell someone. It just seems that Sauvageot and Kat are likely to run into each other--can't say why. I look forward to updates on this timeline more than any otyher, and am due to reread from end to end soon. WOW!

He's going to be hard pressed to get out of the city. He's not really looking too good, probably about to have his face plastered all over the city, and no ID or cash.

Of course, he still has the skills to quickly kill someone. He also has whatever cash, ID's, and weapons the guards had, along with a few hours head start. Catching him may not be easy. I suspect that, if found, he will not be left alive.

On another note, I like the way that characters cross paths, setting things up for later.

A VERY fun yarn.

He also has whatever cash, ID's, and weapons the guards had, along with a few hours head start. Catching him may not be easy. I suspect that, if found, he will not be left alive.
Except he looks nothing like the IDs in question, and weapons would be at best some batons, I think.

Cash is a fair point, if we assume the guards are prone to carrying around sums of cash on duty.

Except he looks nothing like the IDs in question, and weapons would be at best some batons, I think.

Cash is a fair point, if we assume the guards are prone to carrying around sums of cash on duty.

It was the helliday party, so cash, definitely. Uniform--probably. Depending on who he killed, he just might have a gun; he almost certainly has something that can be used as a garrotte, since there are strangled guards.

As far as the ID, it depends on who he needs to show it to; many people don't look closely. Having any sort of ID also lets him get close enough to kill someone. He also has a uniform, if he wants one.

With a few hours head start, he may well have an automobile, and be able to make some distance. Heydrich likely had one, and keys. I'm not saying that he will get away; I'm just saying that he might, or at least give the authorities a merry chase. I can't see him surviving long if recaptured.

It's also christmas, so there will be fewer cops out and about. He has options, including breaking into a house for supplies, winter clothes, and more.

He is very resourceful, and that few hour head start can make things interesting.

Part 17, Chapter 171
Chapter One Hundred Seventy-One

2nd January 1939

Tempelhof Airfield, Berlin, Germany

Konteradmiral Jacob Schmidt had come to Berlin with as little fanfare as possible but the reaction his uniform elicited from enlisted men could not be helped. He saw this as soon as he stepped off the JU-90 transport and saw them snap to attention. Standing there was Johan Schultz, while Sauvageot’s escape couldn’t be laid at his feet, the fact that no one had contacted Jacob in Kiel to inform him until several days had passed could be. Jacob could have warned them that it was not the usual sort of convict that they were hunting. Sauvageot had walked out of the prison gates and seemingly vanished into thin air. Not to discount the abilities of the Federal Police but they were outclassed in this situation.

“Thank you for coming, Sir” Schultz said, “I had hoped to…”

“You hoped to avoid telling me” Jacob snapped “I should have been informed as soon as it was discovered that César Sauvageot had escaped.”

“We have his picture posted in every newspaper and in every corner of the Empire” Schultz said, “It’s only a matter of time until he’s caught.”

“Spare me” Jacob said “Sauvageot ran and we caught up to him. This time he has no intention of running, he wants revenge and will not leave Germany until he gets it. He’s a master of disguise and subterfuge, you won’t find him that way.”

“You’ve already seen to your family, Sir?” Schultz asked.

“Yes” Jacob said “Esther is in Kiel with Sarah who was not happy about being collected from her apartment in Berlin this morning. Nessa is involved in a physics program of military significance in one of the most heavily guarded faculties in the world.”

“Is there anything else, Sir?”

“Other than me not being informed on this matter?”

Schultz stood there. He had been hoping that 1939 would be a better year. So far, the year was off to a roaring start, but not in a good way. “Yes, Sir” He said.

“There’s a man with expertise in matters like this” Jacob said “He owns a nightclub that my daughter plays at regularly in the second career of hers that she doesn’t think I know about. He’s an American living here under a false name. You should send at least four men to take him into custody. Is your entire team available?”

“Yes, Sir” Schultz said, “Thorwald and Jonas are arriving in a couple of hours. Schaffer, Weise and Ibarra are here. Juan Pujol is on hand but he doesn’t do field work. We can also get whatever personnel from other teams if we need them.”

“Sounds like you are down by one?” Jacob asked.

Schultz felt the back of his neck burning after that question was asked. He knew better than to ask how Jacob Schmidt got his information. Even while serving on the staff of Grand Admiral von Raeder in distant Kiel he seemed to know everything and be everywhere.

“We had some difficulty, Sir” Schultz answered, “One of our people is taking some time to reassess.”

“Strange” Jacob said “My understanding is that she straight up quit. See to it that there are no more difficulties. Am I clear.”

“Yes, very clear, Sir.”

“Very well” Jacob said, “As soon as you’ve retrieved the nightclub owner I want your team ready to go to Stuttgart.”

“Yes, Sir” Schultz said to Jacob’s back as he turned and walked to the waiting car.

Berlin

“No matter what you might have heard the man we are about to meet is a friend and source” Maria said.

“Whatever you say” Kat said, “In my neighborhood your parents would have already posted the Banns if half of what I’ve heard is true.”

There were so many things wrong with what Kat had just said. It was also a reminder that in spite of being in the middle of one of the largest cities in the world Kat’s neighborhood was still very much the medieval village that had been absorbed by Berlin’s northward expansion. Maria had been invited to drinks after work by Emil who was passing through Berlin. She figured that it was a good opportunity to introduce Kat to Emil. Kat had been depressed since she’d come back to work the day after Christmas and Maria got the impression that she had difficulty in School which had just restarted. Meeting a prominent figure might help her out of her current funk. The restaurant bar was fine with the presence of Kat so long as she didn’t sit at the bar itself.

“Not you too” Maria said, “Please don’t talk that way around General Holz.”

Kat just took a sip of her ginger ale to hide the knowing smirk. You’re not fooling anyone, Maria thought. Looking over Kat’s shoulder she saw Emil walk into the restaurant bar. He was wearing the grey and black dress uniform of the Paras carrying his peaked officer’s cap under his arm.

Kat followed her gaze. “I can see why you’ve a thing for him” She said.

That snapped Maria’s attention back to Kat. In some ways the girl was a real mystery to Maria and not just about the past she couldn’t talk about. Kat seemed to be totally disinterested in members of the opposite sex. When she first started at the BT she had briefly been the center of attention among the young men who worked there. Kat had rebuffed them and there were rumors that coming on too strong with her ended in a lot of pain. At the same time, there were hints that Kat might be an ordinary young woman as much as she tried to deny that aspect of herself.

“Evening, Maria” Emil said looking at Kat, “And who’s this?”

“This is Katherine” Maria said, “My assistant and protégée.”

“Pleased to meet you General Holz” Kat said, “I’ve heard a great deal.”

“Not all of it bad I hope” Emil said with a smile.

“No, not at all” Kat said and then turned to Maria “I’m sorry but I have to be up early tomorrow so I need to go.”

Maria caught a wink from Kat before she walked out of the restaurant. Not as chaste as she imagines herself to be, Maria thought. That was when Maria noticed that Emil had watched all of this with a bemused look on his face.

“It looks like this turned out to be a date after all” Emil said.

“Is that what you find so amusing?” Maria asked.

“Hardly” Emil said, “It’s that the last time I saw your assistant it was at a distance and in very different circumstances.”

“How so?”

“She was at Wunsdorf taking a break outside the Abwehr building” Emil said, “She was one of Schultz’s people.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“One thing that you need to understand is that when people live in places where they need to grow up fast they might live entire lives before other people figure out what they want to do.” Emil said, “Has she told you what she did before she became your assistant?”

“No” Maria said, “Kat says she can’t talk about it.”

“That doesn’t surprise me” Emil said, “She could get in trouble if she tells anyone she worked in military intelligence.”

That was a surprise for Maria. That was not what she had been expecting, she had the idea that Kat had been caught up in a criminal enterprise of some kind. She reached the conclusion that she needed to push that out of her mind until Kat was ready to talk about it.

“So, you think we’re dating now?” Maria asked, changing the subject.

“Hey, why not?” Emil said, “It’s not like I’ve had better options.”

“Better options?” Maria asked, her tone of voice suggesting what she thought of him using that term “You really are a true romantic aren’t you.”

Emil just shrugged at that. “You should have heard the words that this actor used to describe me a couple of months back” He said, “Romantic wasn’t one of them.”

Last edited:
Interesting updates. Sauvageot worked his way free, killing Heydrich on his way out. He will have gone to ground until he finds the right moment to strike. Who he goes after and will he succeed we shall see.

Kat had her meeting with Schultz and made him squirm some. Sam sure she will come back into the fold of Abwehr, but it will be right away.

Jacob is back and a little pissed. He will help to lead the hunt for Sauvageot, but he may use some assets we have not heard of lately. Kat could have a role in it.

Nice to see Emil and Maria having their first date. Hopefully they will not take so long on their second. :D

So, Nessa, Jacob's daughter, might be in danger. The French spy will close in on her soon enough, prompting Kat to intervene.

Is there any chance for the same fiasco take place in the very bar that Maria and Emil have dinner in?
Maria: Kat?

Kat: Yeah?

M: What are you doing here?

K: A dick is harming a friend of mine

Emil: Is he the one I'm stepping on?

K:... Yeah, that's him.

E: Do you want to kick his nuts?

M: Emil!!!

K: Niceeee~ I approve you making a move on my boss tonight

Nice bit of work here. I like the way that the characters are conn3cted here and there. I knew that Sauvageot's wouldn't end with, "Shot by police the next day." Someone like him, with a couple of hour's head start, is not easy to find. I'm sure that he's obtained more resources already, and, if he decides to do the smart thing and get out of Germany, they may never hear from him again--until he comes back...

Nice bit of work here. I like the way that the characters are conn3cted here and there. I knew that Sauvageot's wouldn't end with, "Shot by police the next day." Someone like him, with a couple of hour's head start, is not easy to find. I'm sure that he's obtained more resources already, and, if he decides to do the smart thing and get out of Germany, they may never hear from him again--until he comes back...

In a way, Sauvegot leaving Germany quietly never to return would be the best thing he could do. All of his enemies are going to continue being paranoid, and interrupting their lives for no threat...

In a way, Sauvegot leaving Germany quietly never to return would be the best thing he could do. All of his enemies are going to continue being paranoid, and interrupting their lives for no threat...

Especially if he does things like sends them cheap birthday cards, with a cutout mailing them, or otherwise leaves misleading hints that he is watching them.