Onnosel is anything but that, he is a good choice of horse for Prince Michael to learn as Onnosel has a large bag of tricks up his sleeves.
Is the Prince going to convert to Catholicism as that is the majority religion in Bohemia?
I can see Kurt as the future Chief of Staff of the Bohemian Army.

The Romanov Express directed by Carol Reed starring Richard Todd as James Bond, Elizabeth Taylor as Andrea Herzog, and Natalie Wood as Jehane.

About Lawyers, Kat may find after talking a bit, that she may get even. How it would sound a Demand in the British courts to cease any and all uses of the Character Andrea Herzog or indirect mentions in any work of Ian Fleming past the first one?
Nah, just put some indirect pressure on him. She does have some influence with Elizabeth...

While British libel laws are more friendly to public figures, Fleming can show that there is enough differences between Kat and the fictional character of Andrea Herzog that no one can "reasonably" connect them.

FBKampfer

Banned
I really want to see Fleming used for ordnance testing. Preferably less-lethal munitions, but karma is invoked and a tragic accident ensues.

I'm fairly certain beanbag rounds have the energy to destroy certain parts of the male anatomy.

While British libel laws are more friendly to public figures, Fleming can show that there is enough differences between Kat and the fictional character of Andrea Herzog that no one can "reasonably" connect them.
Indeed, a public move against it would be a declaration of that connection

The Romanov Express directed by Carol Reed starring Richard Todd as James Bond, Elizabeth Taylor as Andrea Herzog, and Natalie Wood as Jehane.

What's been released about how Jehane wound up as Gia Strobel with her Cousin Kat, Aunt Marcella and Uncle Klaus in Pankow-Heinersdorf?

I can see the opening of The Romanov Express as:

Shot of a rustic cabin in the woods.
Bad Guys show up, kick in the door and go inside.
VO: "Run and don't stop."
SFX: Lots of gunfire.
Camera elevates to show Wood running away through the snow.
View switches to show Wood running toward the camera.
VO: "There she is!"
SFX: gunshot.
Wood stumbles as she is shot and keeps stumbling forward as she collapses into a snowbank.

The next scene is Wood, Todd and Taylor in a hospital room.
After dialogue establishing that Todd and Taylor are there to get Wood to safety in Germany I'm out of ideas and we don't know what's been released.

Since The Romanov Express is a Bond/Herzog action film my guess is that there'll be car chases and gunfights before the three are on an airplane bound for Germany.

Last scene is Todd and Taylor introducing Wood to a kindly older couple as "Your new Aunt Marcella and Uncle Klaus." Kat isn't mentioned.

Last edited:
What is that noted Irish Barrister Jack Kennedy doing at the moment? Kat might want to give him a call, she can pay his fees.

Part 59, Chapter 823
Chapter Eight Hundred Twenty-Three

30th April 1950

Wunsdorf-Zossen

I am terribly sorry Gräfin von Mischner, but Mr. Fleming has already substantially altered the character of Andrea Herzog to not resemble you. As much as I might personally want to stick one to Mr. Fleming, any action on my part on your behalf would only serve to make those connections more explicit…

It made Kat wonder what she was paying Jack Kennedy for if all he was going to do was send her answers like that. If she sued to stop the production of Ian Fleming’s movie she would just be drawing attention to the fact that the character was based on her. Kat had described Ian Fleming as a weasel in human form for years, so the odds were extremely high that he had planned for things to work out the way they had. The person she might have talked to about this, Douglas, was in Bavaria photographing a medieval fortress and wouldn’t be back until the next day.

Instead of staying in Berlin and dealing with that aggravation she got into her car and drove to Wunsdorf. Ilse was going there anyway so she was happy for the ride. Listening to the radio and talking with Kat were a lot more fun than sitting on the train. Like always Hans’ house was a joyful mess with Manny underfoot and people coming in and out. Now that the spring exercises had concluded and the complex task of getting the 2nd Army back from France was done. Hans and Helene were fully involved in preparations for traveling to Brazil in only a few weeks. Having Kat and Ilse there to watch the children was a godsend. Having lunch on the back porch they were listening to Hans as he said that he shuttered to think what the Regiment would get up to while he was gone and the sort of mess that he’d return to.

“All for the love of Football” Kat replied smugly, getting a dirty look from Hans who just shook his head and went back into the house.

“So, how did the apology go?” Helene asked.

Kat’s good mood was snapped just like that.

“Let’s just say that little shrew is not going to have an enjoyable experience at every Customs check or border crossing in or out of this country after the flag I put on her passport” Kat replied.

“She really got under your skin, didn’t she?” Ilse asked.

“It wasn’t her, it was a former British Intelligence Officer who she allowed to use her to take a cheap shot at me.”

“This wouldn’t be the same one who you gassed in Australia would it?” Helene asked.

The exasperated sigh that Kat gave answered that question.

“How bad could this be?” Ilse asked, “You’ve spent years with this man as a rival.”

“They are making a movie” Kat said, “The way that I was depicted in the first draft of the novel they are basing it on was slanderous. Fleming rewrote it to make that character a twisted cliché. Still, everyone is going to know it’s me.”

Helene just laughed. “Here you are, living a life where you have movie characters based on you and your response is to complain” She said, “That is the most Gräfin like thing I’ve ever seen you do Kat.”

Kat frowned knowing she was being made fun of. She decided that she would see what Hans was up to. All she found was that the Nanny was alone in the house with the children. “Sorry, Ma’am” The Nanny said, “But the Freiherr went to the store to get more beer.”

Hans probably had the right idea, Kat figured that she could use a strong drink but that would probably need to wait until Hans got back. Instead she picked up Katherine and talked with her, Katherine was happy to just babble back. Kat found that a much easier conversation to have.

“You’re extremely good at that” Kat heard a voice behind her say, “I’ve had Ilse hand her to me a couple times and it didn’t work out.”

“What are you doing here?” Kat replied to Stefan who the Nanny had let in.

“Looking for the XO” Stefan replied, “The Operations Officer got himself into a major fix.”

“Is it a matter of life and death?” Kat asked.

“No”

“Then it can wait” Kat said, “It’s Hans’ day off.”

“I didn’t think he really took days off” Stefan said.

“Did you hear that?” Kat asked Katherine, “Someone else who thinks your Poppa does way too much.” Katherine laughed.

“While you’re here, I need some advice” Stefan said.

“I’m the last person on Earth you should get advice from” Kat said, “Too often my own judgement has been flawed, and the property damage is extensive when that happens.”

“It’s about a girl, er, woman I met at a dance a few weeks ago” Stefan said, “I don’t know what to do next.”

“Now I know you are really asking the wrong person” Kat replied.

“Well, what did your husband do?” Stefan asked earnestly.

“He made a stupid bet” Kat answered. That was the truth and totally not what Stefan was expecting. “Douglas had a bet with Jost Schultz over whether or not he would ask me on a date. Jost was expecting me to beat the pulp out of Doug, instead he approached me while I was with Helene, Gerta and Gia. My friends made me go on a date with him.”

“Really?” Stefan asked.

“You can see why that might not work for you” Kat said as she picked up a rag off the table and wiped a line of drool off Katherine’s chin. “Hans and Helene were stuck on a train all the way to Kiev and Gerta met Kurt when he was assigned to be her father’s aide while he was an Officer Cadet. That help at all.”

“Not really” Stefan said.

“I told you I wouldn’t be much help” Kat said as Ilse came into the house looking for Kat and Hans.

Last edited:
And the most amusing...Stefan asking Hans for advice without mentioning the name of the girl, and Hans just telling "Be Yourself."....Forgetting that his younger sibling seems to be a nice guy who somehow got in some moment his self-preservation and common sense extirpated instead of his tonsils for some reason as a kid.

FBKampfer

Banned
Just swagger up to Horst's door, knock with the butt of the buzzsaw, and ask to see his daughter, just bold as fuck. Show him he's still got the Mischner family insanity by God!

Then sweep Nizhoni off her feet and into the back of a kubelwagen, followed by a herd of schützenpanzers!

About schützenpanzeren, the Wiki about Infantry Fighting Vehicles (yeah, I know) makes a point about embarked infantry being able to shoot from within the vehicle. This strikes me as not being terribly useful due to limited traverse and field of view while being rattled around on the move and totally useless while stopped. Someplace I read that when it was discovered that the BMPs had firing ports so by gum the Brads had to have 'em too, no matter how useless.

'Course, I could be wrong about this.

FBKampfer

Banned
I don't think the SPz 12-3 had firing ports, and it seems rather counter to German usage of APC's and IFV's in general.

Typically they were (and as best I can tell, still are) seen primarily as a way for the infantry to keep up with the tanks, and haul some extra firepower around, not so much as a direct combat platform in itself.

I don't think the SPz 12-3 had firing ports, and it seems rather counter to German usage of APC's and IFV's in general.

Typically they were (and as best I can tell, still are) seen primarily as a way for the infantry to keep up with the tanks, and haul some extra firepower around, not so much as a direct combat platform in itself.

I think that the IFV is a modern-day OTL concept, which strikes me pretty much like a very light tank with a few guys on board. I was just wondering about the rationale behind firing ports.

FBKampfer

Banned
I think that the IFV is a modern-day OTL concept, which strikes me pretty much like a very light tank with a few guys on board. I was just wondering about the rationale behind firing ports.

The rationale was that if the soldiers could shoot their arms from inside of the beast, as was frequently done over the sides of M3's, the soldiers could actually contribute to the vehicle's firepower, and there would be fewer situations in which you would have to stop and disembark troops.

Unfortunately for the planners, firing ports are nowhere near as effective as what basically amounted to a metal section of trench, or a 12 man fox hole.

The rationale was that if the soldiers could shoot their arms from inside of the beast, as was frequently done over the sides of M3's, the soldiers could actually contribute to the vehicle's firepower, and there would be fewer situations in which you would have to stop and disembark troops.

Unfortunately for the planners, firing ports are nowhere near as effective as what basically amounted to a metal section of trench, or a 12 man fox hole.

I don't think too much of the planning that went on. The standard M-16 didn't fit too well, so they wound up with a special-purpose full-auto-only version with no stock, no sights and a 1225 rpm cyclic rate. That's a second and a half for a full 30-round magazine and
"Only the M196 tracer round was authorized for operational use, with the M199 dummy and M200 blank for training use. In an emergency M193 ball ammunition was to be used. The heavier M855 ball and M856 tracer rounds were never to be used."​

Sorry, this is getting too far afield and I probably shouldn't have bought it up.

Last edited:
Part 59, Chapter 824
Chapter Eight Hundred Twenty-Four

3rd May 1950

Jena

It was with wry amusement that Lang read the latest headlines. Germany had a new Chancellor and it was one of Lang’s own people, Rudi Maurer. One of the many members of the Reichstag who had come in during that election after the bombing. The gambit played by Theodor Heuss to put Lang out of play hadn’t worked in the way that Lang suspected that he had intended. Lang going to the League of Nations had elevated those whose careers he had nurtured. That was probably the good thing about all of this.

While Lang found the work on an international stage fascinating he was noticing that he was hearing the same things over and over. India was a mess, the Dutch East Indies were a mess, Palestine was a mess along with much of the Near East. He was detecting a theme here. In all those places there were people who wanted things and the people who had the nerve to live there first tended to object. It was apparently Lang’s new job in mediating those conflicted before they turned into wars, it sounded good as an ideal, but he’d heard about the preliminary study that had been done on the South African Campaign the OKW had produced. They had concluded that the German Military was reaching the limits of the strategy that had been employed since the end of the Great War. Future conflicts were more likely to be fought in places where there would be less interest in development as a means of defusing potential conflict for cultural and geographic reasons. That was a fancy way of saying that the High Command was expecting the next war to be fought in a place full of proudly illiterate savages and religious zealots. Lang wondered if they were referring to the Near East or the Americas.

Zossen

“Then she said she wasn’t the best person to ask for advice” Stefan said as he recounted the events of the prior afternoon for the umpteenth time to Dirks who was only half listening to him.

Dirks was looking into a hand mirror trying to tell if the latest acne cream was working, he couldn’t tell.

“It was at that point that Ilse comes walking in and…”

“Is she hot?” Dirks asked.

“What?” Stefan asked, bewildered.

“This woman, your sister, is she hot?” Dirks asked.

“In a don’t mess with me sort way, I guess” Stefan replied, “What does that have to do with anything?”

“If I have to hear you talk I might as well know what you are talking about” Dirks said.

“She’s also married” Stefan said, “That’s why I asked her, I figured that she might understand these things.”

“What about the other one?”

“You mean Ilse?”

“Yeah”

“She’s nice, but delicate” Stefan said, “Like spun glass.”

“Think I would have a chance with her?” Dirks asked.

“Ilse?”

“Who else?”

Stefan looked at his friend. How did he tell his friend that Ilse was completely out of his league? Ilse was educated, well-read and sophisticated. Dirks had probably never read a book all the way through and, not to put too fine a point on it, was sort of ugly. Short and squat, at nineteen his face was covered in pimples and his hairline was already in rapid retreat.

“I don’t know if you would have a chance with Ilse” Stefan replied. That seemed safe enough.

Munich, Germany

It was depressing, all funerals were but this one seemed particularly so. Only Peter, Doctor Rosen and Herman Goering were present. The two of the Doctors who had cared for this man and Goering who was a volunteer in the hospital, he came to all these things. Two days prior, Adolf “Stumpy” Hitler had succumbed to his various illnesses, Doctor Rosen said that it was a miracle, he would have assumed that someone would have smothered him years earlier. This was a military funeral but the Heer was less than inclined to go all out, apparently there was an understanding of just how unpleasant this man had been in life. They listened to an elderly retired Army Chaplin finish giving the litany, there was no one to give a eulogy, so they watched as the casket, a pine box really, was lowered into the earth.

“Did they really need a full-sized casket?” Goering asked.

Both Peter and Doctor Rosen were staring at Goering after he said that.

“That was a perfectly terrible thing to say Herman” Doctor Rosen replied, “Disrespectful.”

“Don’t tell me that you weren’t thinking it” Goering said.

“You did make some, well, interesting staffing choices in this case” Peter said to Doctor Rosen.

“I also made some interesting dietary choices as well” Doctor Rosen said, “A Kosher diet has some very beneficial aspects to it, that’s hardly unique to this particular patient.”

“It had nothing to do with this man being an obnoxious anti-Semite?” Peter asked.

“Old Stumpy didn’t like Slavs or Gypsies either” Goering said, “He was really pissed when the Soviet Union went away, he said that Augie Lang was Jew loving Communist who only pretended to hate the Bolsheviks because he was one.”

“Such a delightful man” Doctor Rosen said.

“That makes no sense” Peter said, “Lang worked on creating a competitive business environment during his time in office.”

“Not a whole lot of what Stumpy said made much sense” Goering said.

Last edited: