They could probably mitigate that by prepping good ambush spots well in advance but apart from the obvious problems they'd always lose the system on the retreat and they probably do not have that many.

The simpelst seloution would be to wait until they land and then fire a rocket at them.

Well those teams are prime candidates for a darwin adward (aka to stupid/brave to be allowed to breed). Standing close to a landing zone in the open (firing under cover or within a bunker is a No No) with a rocket launcher is not a good way to stay alive and fight another day.

As new tactics spur even newer counter-tactics, one of the things that the Germans can do is turn some of their larger transport aircraft into gunships.
The Boers apparently have no anti-aircraft capabilities and this will allow the gunships to linger over the target area for a longer time and the Germans have I believe the "Vampire" night vision sights that was used on helicopters on SKA missions.

The Bazookas that the Boers are using have a maximum range of 400 yards or 370 meters and an effective range 150 yards or 140 meters and each rocket weighs 3.5 pounds limits the Boers to use them from a short distance from their strongholds or preposition them ahead of time which risk them to be discovered ahead of time by German Calvary horse patrols.

Part 53, Chapter 725
Chapter Seven Hundred Twenty-Five

14th April 1949

Berlin

Gia, though she guessed she would need to start thinking of herself as Jehane for the first time in a decade but couldn’t bring herself to do it, was angry with how the world wouldn’t leave her alone. A couple days before she’d been forced to pack her things and move out of the house in Kreuzberg because of security concerns. That effectively ended the life she’d known in Berlin forever. Asia had helped her pack before her best friend had joined the others in sadly watching her be led out of the house by palace security. She’d been told that she would be able to continue going to University, but precautions would have to be taken. Luckily the Spring holiday was upon them and she had already completed the final exams for the term. It was hoped that would give her time to adjust before the Summer Term started.

Now officially a part of the Imperial Household, Gia realized that not even her life was her own anymore. Everything that Kat had been trying to warn her about for years had come to pass. Laying on the bed in the suite of rooms inside the Hohenzollern Palace that had been provided for her, Gia had not moved from this spot since she had arrived. Her eyes closed against the dim light of the darkened room, it was all she could do not to spend all her time sobbing. Not only was she homesick but she missed everyone who had made it home in the first place.

“Are you sick, Gia?” Gia heard a child’s voice ask.

Dear God, she thought to herself, Freddy had let himself in. The door must have been unlocked this whole time.

Gia felt a small hand touch her forehead, “She doesn’t feel sick” Kristina said.

Forcing her eyes open Gia looked at Friedrich and Kristina, in Pankow-Heinersdorf they would have been Freddy and Kiki with only their teachers and mother calling them by their given names. Mikey, Louie, Ria and Vicky, Gia thought to herself rounding out the names of the other royal children. Kira would probably be horrified if she ever heard that aloud. Was this how it was going to be? Locked away with only children for company?

“I’m not sick” Gia said, “I’m just extremely unhappy with what’s happened.” Trying to use terms that she hoped these two children would understand.

“Why?” Freddy asked. He didn’t see the problem, Gia realized. To him she was his friend and tutor, having her around all the time was more opportunity for them to do fun things. He wasn’t old enough yet to fully realize how confined his existence was.

Gia heard the door open. Hopefully it would be someone looking to collect the two children, so she could go back to feeling sorry for herself in peace.

“You are not getting out of your appointment so easily” A familiar voice said. Gia looked and saw Doctor Holz had entered the suite. Who had let him in? “Prince Friedrich, if you could take your sister and leave us, please.” And to Gia’s amazement the two children ran out of the room. She heard the door slam a second later.

Gia sat up cross-legged on the bed. She was wearing the same clothes that she’d arrived in two days earlier, a long-sleeved black blouse and full length black skirt. It had seemed extremely appropriate considering what had happened.

“What do you want?” Gia demanded.

“I wanted to see how you were doing” Doctor Holz replied, “Everyone is worried about you.”

“They have a funny way of showing it” Gia spat. Until just minutes ago no one had spoken to her for two days.

“They are intimidated by your change in circumstance, or in the case of your adopted sister, she feels guilty that she couldn’t keep this from happening.”

“What does she have to feel guilty about?” Gia asked, “She did everything she could. Once that twit Georgy started telling the world how wonderful I was this was bound to happen.”

Doctor Holz just nodded, he had to hear the anger and resentment in her voice.

“They also might be worried about appearances” Doctor Holz said, “Your friend Asia said she’d long been your close friend and confidante, but she worries about starting rumors that might hurt you.”

Asia would worry about something like that. She tended to look at things in ways that others didn’t, seeing through the artifice. When Kat had told them about the vicious rumors that had been spread around about her, she’d said that ones about her being a thief and murderer hadn’t bothered her. However, the rumors that implied that Kat was in a lesbian relationship with Helene von Richthofen had. Kat loved Helene like a sister and to suggest that anything was untoward about that relationship hurt her deeply. Asia had recognized that was all too likely to be true with them as well and didn’t want to see Gia get hurt so she was staying away.

“If you see Asia, could you please tell her that its alright for her to come here” Gia said, “I still need someone to talk to.”

“I’ll tell her that, but it’s up to her.”

“Thank you” Gia said and the two of them sat in silence for a few minutes. Gia thought about why Asia was staying away from her felt another wave of loneliness engulf her.

“This whole thing falls far outside anyone in my field’s experience” Doctor Holz said, mercifully redirecting Gia’s thoughts, “You’ll need to figure out who you are again. Perhaps you even need to go all the way back to the beginning before you can move forward, start from scratch.”

“This whole thing sucks” Gia replied.

“I can’t disagree with that” Doctor Holz said, “But what can we do?”

Last edited:
Gianna/Jehane basically has only herself to blame as for years since the fall of the Soviet Union she has been flirting with outing herself as "The Last Romanov" with her interactions with Maria, Douglas, and the first time she met Nancy she practically all but told Nancy that she was a Russian Grand Duchess.

Kira and Kat also has to bear some of the blame as they failed to prepare Jehane in the eventuality of her being found out.
Kat is more responsible for allowing Jehane to be Gianna longer than necessary because it suited Kat to have Gianna as a little sister.
I think that the only person that can put everything in perspective for Jehane is going to be Marcella, as Marcella probably has the most common sense and she gave Jehane unconditional love and safety at the time when Jehane needed it the most.

Gianna/Jehane basically has only herself to blame as for years since the fall of the Soviet Union she has been flirting with outing herself as "The Last Romanov" with her interactions with Maria, Douglas, and the first time she met Nancy she practically all but told Nancy that she was a Russian Grand Duchess.

Kira and Kat also has to bear some of the blame as they failed to prepare Jehane in the eventuality of her being found out.
Kat is more responsible for allowing Jehane to be Gianna longer than necessary because it suited Kat to have Gianna as a little sister.
I think that the only person that can put everything in perspective for Jehane is going to be Marcella, as Marcella probably has the most common sense and she gave Jehane unconditional love and safety at the time when Jehane needed it the most.
Didn’t Cat exactly do all she could to prepare Jehane? She trained her in beeing around the empress, showed her how journalism work, provided her personal experience about the other side of fame, and put her in contact with professionals to learn how to deal with these issues.
Quite a focused effort IMHO

How do you prepare someone for something like that?
First after the shock of what just happened to Jehane wears off, you need to tell her that her cover story is just that and it is temporary,
Second during the war with Kat away on duty, Jehane should have spent more time at the Postdam Palace with the Imperial Family learning all that entails so when the time comes she will understand that life.
Third as soon as the war ended Jehane sould have been told that the cover story is not going to hold out longer and she needs to understand that her life as Gianna is coming to an end.

Kira and Kat in allowing Jehane to be Gianna as long as this while done out of love and concerned for her is understandable was just wrongheaded in the long run, and did not do Jehane any favors.

Part 53, Chapter 726
Chapter Seven Hundred Twenty-Six

15th April 1949

Kimberly, South Africa

The Boers didn’t have a formal rank structure but there were some men who others were more inclined to follow than others. Hans realized that he was dealing with such a man when the Paras had brought the latest batch of prisoners in. The British had known who this man was and had been less than artful in their efforts to have him shifted to their custody. The Heer was aware that the British had agents within the Boers, it was just felt that they needed to be a bit more discrete. It did however give Hans an in.

Unlocking the door, Hans entered and put a folder on the table that had been nailed to the floor. “You must have done something that really angered our British friends” He said, “They really want to talk to you.”

Bas Botha stared silently at Hans from the bunk. His right thumb was wrapped in a bandage. The American rifles that the Boers used had a terrible tendency to bite their users sometimes.

“Has your thumb been giving you any trouble Herr Botha?” Hans asked, “We can have the Doctor look at it again.”

Bas just laughed at that, “What’s the point?” He asked, “You are just going to put against a wall and shoot me.”

“That would require adjudication if the determination to proceed with that is reached” Hans said, “Convening a Court Martial, the appeals process, the back and forth between here and Wunsdorf. That could take weeks, having you die from an infection in the meantime would look bad.”

Bas looked at Hans as if he’d grown a second head. “Is that a joke?”

“No” Hans replied, “These are serious matters.”

Bas looked at Hans. Just who the Hell were these people who had invaded South Africa? In the field they had shown absolutely no hesitation about coloring outside the lines. Now here inside their base they were proving sticklers for rules. It seemed like every box had to be checked before they did anything. Unknown to Bas that was the exact impression that Hans was trying to give him and was waiting for him to try to take advantage of it.

“Let us know if there is anything you need” Hans said with a smile.

“I’ll keep that in mind” Bas said.

Hans closed the door and locked it. Walking into the ready room he saw Jost making updates to the chalkboard as to when Bas would do something stupid and what part of the inner defenses he would run afoul of first. It was noticeable that the most popular box was Spear Schultz with no elaboration. Hans had warned them this wasn’t a game but even the Generals wanted in on this action…

Berlin

Kira would have told the 1st Imperial Foot that they were wasting their time if she thought it would do any good. Gia had spent years as Kat’s understudy and they should have been expecting a move like this. One minute she’d been laying in her suite of rooms, the next she was gone. Once she was free of the palace and in the tunnels under the streets of Berlin she would only be found if she wanted to be or Kat tracked her down. Fortunately, Kat wanted the girl found as well but as Kira had discovered Kat and Gia had been planning for the event that Gia needed to leave Berlin and Germany for a long time. Gia wasn’t stupid, she knew that she would have Kat pursuing her and had altered her plans accordingly.

By the time security had reached the house in Kreuzberg, Asia Lawniczak was already gone. Kat had spent hours grilling the other girls but all she’d learned that the others had been kept just as in the dark as she was. Kat was currently on the phone yelling at anyone who was picking up the other end of the line. It didn’t seem like she was making a whole lot of progress.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The U-Bahn was crowded with commuter traffic, it was the reason why Marcella liked living and working in her own neighborhood, avoiding this mess. It was however useful for other things. Sitting on the bench where she had been asked to make this meeting, she waited until a blond woman in a heavy coat a shawl around her shoulders sat down next her.

“Kat was furious when she called earlier, and that wig looks absurd” Marcella said as she passed Gia the fat envelope that she’d been holding for Gia for the last few months, “You had better know what you’re doing.”

“I just needed this, thank you” Gia said, “Tell Kat after she’s calmed down that I’ll be back in a few weeks.”

“That will just make her angry again.”

Gia rolled her eyes at that. “When is Kat ever not angry?” She asked.

“It might help if she didn’t have to worry about you.”

“She’s the last person I want to hurt” Gia replied.

“Then go back” Marcella said, “The whole country is going to be in an uproar in a few hours because of you.”

“I’m sorry, but there are a few things that I need to do first” Gia said.

“I’m not the one you’ll need to apologize to” Marcella replied, “All I can do is wish you luck and hope that the Empress and Kat forgive you.”

Marcella glanced over and saw that Gia was already gone.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Walking away from Marcella, Marcella's words about the Empress and Kat forgiving her echoing through Gia's head. She hated what this was going to do them and feared what their reaction was going to be for her actions. The idea that Aunt Marcella might get jammed up for helping her made Gia sick to her stomach, but she had needed the envelope that contained a passport under an assumed name and several thousand marks. Asia was waiting for her below in the tunnels. They had a couple hours before the flight to Strasbourg on a regional airline. From there they were planning to walk across the border into France. Doctor Holz had said that she needed to figure out who she was again, that was exactly what she intended to do.

Last edited:
I have a bad feeling that someone's going to need rescuing, and that Kat might just end up having to get stabby or shooty in the near future. Great stuff :)

Truly, disguising yourself to walk among the common people incognito is the tried and tested method for finding yourself and not at all an escapist fancy. :rolleyes:

I'm sure people will be very understanding.

If Jehane got the identification documents from Kat in the first place, then I think that Jehane is not going to get very far.

If Jehane got the identification documents from Kat in the first place, then I think that Jehane is not going to get very far.

but as Kira had discovered Kat and Gia had been planning for the event that Gia needed to leave Berlin and Germany for a long time. Gia wasn’t stupid, she knew that she would have Kat pursuing her and had altered her plans accordingly.

While, Kat may know she has a fake passport and identification papers, it appears that Gia has taken measure to ensure that Kat doesn't know her new identity. Kat has trained her young Padawan well.

I love your story. I have been retired for a few years now. After I discovered this long-running story, it is one of the things that helps me get out of bed in the morning. Will there be another chapter or two from PM. Most morning it is a positive response. You truly have a knack for story telling with very believable people. May the muse always be at your side.

Md139115

Banned
Truly, disguising yourself to walk among the common people incognito is the tried and tested method for finding yourself and not at all an escapist fancy. :rolleyes:

I'm sure people will be very understanding.

One more tale to add to the legend of Saint Jehane...

I love your story. I have been retired for a few years now. After I discovered this long-running story, it is one of the things that helps me get out of bed in the morning. Will there be another chapter or two from PM. Most morning it is a positive response. You truly have a knack for story telling with very believable people. May the muse always be at your side.
Most spot on comment for a while.