Looks like the "Green Jacket" crowd is going to find out who the real "Masters" are, and a certain golf club is going out of business.

Nice arrest--but will it stick? Their (theoretically) uninvolved friends will hate the Germans even more now.
Sadly, the golf club likely won't go out of business; the owners are likely not implicated. It will really emphasize the racial segregation--NO black golfers, and all black caddies.

Nice arrest--but will it stick? Their (theoretically) uninvolved friends will hate the Germans even more now.
They got witnesses, a paper trail being uncovered, and a POTUS who is probably telling all involved that any form of bribe or anything is going to be regarded poorly...

Even if by some miracle it gets off, they bribe the jury? They're down major legal costs, their names are in the muck, and you can sure as hell bet the IRS is going to be auditing them so hard they can't buy a cuppa coffee without 3 receipts.

My vote for chief conspirator is Charlie Wilson the CEO of General Motors and IOTL Secretary of Defense under the Eisenhower Administration.

Thanks. I remembered that he'd been compromised, but not that he'd been a cleaned-up loose end. I'm as fond of him as some are of MacArthur or the Alaska class cruisers.
How about those Montana Class Battleships? Or large amphibious mammals?

Sadly, the golf club likely won't go out of business; the owners are likely not implicated. It will really emphasize the racial segregation--NO black golfers, and all black caddies.
Every member of that club who was not a part of the conspiracy will resign in order to distance themselves from the scandal and no one will want to be associated with the " Augusta Conspiracy ".

I think that the conspiracy will be much larger than any one expects, there will be ex -German military officers who were cashiered for their association with the '43 Coup plotters, ex-NKVD types who are at a loose end and are willing to work with anybody for the right price, foreign intelligence agencies who think that a Germany -United States cold war is in their best interests, and some wildcards in the mix like Joseph P Kennedy Jr working with the son of another Spanish Civil War funder: George Herbert Walker Bush.

FBKampfer

Banned
Better be some public short-drop hangings for the conspirators, PM.

Or is "mauling by starved badgers" a legal form of execution ITTL?

It will stick. US law can be... capricious... at times, but this seems to be a clear cut conspiracy case to me, with lots of political pressure to see it to its completion.

'Conspiracy' means every person who was aware of the crime being planned or helped in its commitment can and will be charged as if they themselves had committed the actual crime. You are included in the conspiracy case and fully liable even if you had no idea of the full extent of it as long as you participated/contributed in any way.

The only one who is off the hook is the gunsmith since that likely was a legal business transaction. Capitalists protect their own, so the shadyness of the customer doesn't matter.

The bigger consequence will be the practical, forceful and VERY economically stimulating Mass Anti-Trust Laws that will come.

Most of these People pretty much held a monopolistic control of the US Industry AND Market in their respective fields, either alone or between them, and also will be potentially "Revealed" to have been the ones that were at the helm of Selling first to the Soviets, then the Japanese. The Result its that ironically the American Economy will wake up as suddenly they return to REAL Capitalist Competition conditions in the market.

More explosive would be if they VIOLATED the Embargo to the Soviets down to the end, what would explain HOW they held contacts that could have smuggled the damaged gun of Thorwald.

Although i'm crossing my fingers that one of the idiots implied its Randall Hearst......should be one bang of an end to his career, specially as the Anti-Trust Laws force him to sell ALL but one of his Newspapers and related Radio Business.

More explosive would be if they VIOLATED the Embargo to the Soviets down to the end, what would explain HOW they held contacts that could have smuggled the damaged gun of Thorwald.
WOW! That would basically tie everything together, I could see ex-German military officers being used as "Consultants" and as go-betweens with ex-NKVD agents, the Germans knowing what the symbolism of the weapon is and using it as "Screw You" to the SKA and Kat for spoiling the Coup attempt, and for the NKVD as revenge against Thorwald and a chance to tarnish his memory.

Part 53, Chapter 719
Chapter Seven Hundred Nineteen

20th March 1949

Berlin

In the early morning hours of Sunday, the end came rather unexpectedly. Helene had woken up to use the bathroom again and needed Hans' assistance to waddle down the hall. She had been mentioning how it would only be fair for Hans to have twenty kilograms sitting on his bladder for several months when her water broke. Her mother would later say that it was fortunate that it was on the tile floor of the bathroom, so she didn’t completely ruin a perfectly good mattress. Hans had called the clinic and had to wait while the person manning the desk found someone with enough authority to send an ambulance. Using the other line from Manfred von Richthofen’s office he called the one of the few people he knew locally who might know how to handle this situation, though he knew it was probably a mistake.

Only a few minutes later did Hans hear a racing car engine and the squeal of tires on pavement. Then came the pounding on the door. “…any more complaining, I told you this was an emergency before you got in the car” Kat said to a terrified Ilse. The streets being nearly abandoned on a Sunday morning or not, Kat had broken every traffic law imaginable to get across Central Berlin in the time she had. “Where is she?” Kat asked as soon as Hans opened the door. Kat was a trained medic but most of her experience in that field had been running triage, sorting out those who needed the most help from those who didn’t or were beyond help.

“Do you have any idea what you are doing?” Hans asked as Kat followed him into the house.

“After the birth of Prince Louis, I insisted that all medics in the 1st Foot and the SKA, including me, be required to take Mid-Wife courses along with their regular training” Kat replied. Despite the situation Hans found that amusing. The sort of man who the SKA attracted having to take a class like that. Then he realized that it would be one or two of them alone in such a class with the balance being women, not exactly a hardship for anyone involved.

“Why is she still on the bathroom floor?” Kat demanded angerily, “How far apart are her contractions?”

“I was afraid to move her” Hans replied, “And I was supposed to keep track of that?”

“Pick her up and take her back to the bed” Kat snapped.

Helene was less than thrilled to hear the two of them talking about her as if she wasn’t there. Then another contraction consumed all her thoughts. She was still screaming in pain when Hans picked her up as gently as possible and carried her back to the bedroom.

Once back in bedroom Kat had Hans turn on all the lights while she looked to see what the situation was. “Shit” Kat muttered.

“Something wrong?” Helene asked.

“Er… no”

“There’s an ambulance on its way” Hans said trying to be helpful.

“I think it might be a bit late” Kat said.

“WHAT!” Hans and Helene both said in unison.

“It’s coming now” Kat replied, “The baby, that is.”

“But with Manfred it took hours” Helene gasped as a contraction rolled through her.

“This one seems to be in a bit more of a hurry” Kat said, she was suddenly reminded of what Doctor Holz had said about how no two women’s experiences or even pregnancies were the same.

“Ilse!” Kat yelled.

“What?” Ilse asked from the hallway. Kat had drummed into her head that in situations like this if she couldn’t be helpful then she should stay out of the way. Kat had brought her along because the commotion in the house had probably already woken up Manfred who was going to make his presence known at any second. Ilse was good with her nephew.

“The first aid kit under the front seat of my car” Kat said, “I need it.”

Ilse disappeared, she knew exactly where the kit was, and Kat needed some of the things in it.

After what had seemed like an eternity but what must have only been minutes when Helene heard the scream of a baby. “You’ve got a little girl this time Helene” Kat said to her, then, to Ilse who was looking faint “I need two clamps and scissors, yeah, those.”

Then minutes later, Helene found herself with her yet unnamed daughter being lifted on a stretcher down to the ambulance that was waiting to take them to the University Clinic to make sure that they were both healthy. Her mother had been correct, it was a girl. Helene would get an earful because of this. Then the thought occurred to her as she looked at the face of the baby that she was holding. She already had a name, Käte had also been correct about the logic of it. “Welcome to the world, Katherine” She whispered.

“You could have discussed that with me first” Hans said from where he was riding.

“You have any better ideas?” Helene asked.

“No” Hans said, “I just want to be there when you tell your father.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

It wasn’t the sort of story that merited stopping the presses, but Maria did have to get the design department to do a quick redesign of the midmorning edition. Just as well, the rest of the Sunday edition of the BT had been filled with stories of the Augusta Conspiracy and the expanding mission in South Africa. The birth announcement of Katherine Lagertha von Mischner seemed like a nice counterpoint to all of that.

Last edited:
In a few years:

"John F. Kennedy for the Defense Again: The defense of the Augusta Conspiracy by the world's most famous defense attorney." from A. Frank, with notes on the U. S. Justice system.

-- Article in the BOOKS section in the Sunday Berliner Tageblatt.​

In a few years:

"John F. Kennedy for the Defense Again: The defense of the Augusta Conspiracy by the world's most famous defense attorney." from A. Frank, with notes on the U. S. Justice system.

-- Article in the BOOKS section in the Sunday Berliner Tageblatt.​
Unlikely..... If anything, once he returned from Ireland, i suspect that John Kennedy, seeing the abuse of Justice in the case that he defended, when he returned to the US he decided to go into becoming the youngest District's Attorney in history.....

.... And look at his luck where the Federal Court would judge the Augusta Conspirators.

This would be the case that would Forge his reputation as an incorruptible figure, as he destroyed the reputation and influence of Historical Families of the US Economic and Political Circles in the Augusta Conspiracy Trial....

Furthermore it was the case that pretty much broke any control of his father over him, as John even if unrelated to the case, found enough dirt from his father to pretty much crucify him in the nearest wall.

Short to say, Joseph Kennedy suddenly decided to retire from the political and social scene.... not giving any reason.... but certainly he did not go to ANY future step of John's political career, even worse when Robert chose to follow his brother's step outside of Joseph's dwindling influence.....

Last edited:
JFK nailing the people who tried to frame Germany should clear any debts that might be owed by his clan--though I think they're cleared already.