Part 51, Chapter 692
Chapter Six Hundred Ninety-Two

11th November 1948

Berlin

It was the first time that Lang had been to this Berlin club in months. He was here to meet Emil Holz, who he’d also not seen in months. He was hiding in his favored booth when Emil found him, trying to avoid talking about the recent election in America. Naturally, that was all anyone around the club wanted to talk about, especially with him. That entire election had been anti-climactic. Thomas Dewey had gotten trounced as predicted. Which meant that there wasn’t a whole lot to talk about. Having never met him, Lang only knew what he’d read about this Harry Truman. That he was a Senator and a former Vice-Presidential candidate. He also knew that Truman was a veteran of the First World War as an Artillery Officer and had little love for Europe, particularly Germany. Lang’s personal assessment was that he was glad that the new American President would be someone else’s problem after Truman took the oath of office.

“Thinking about the problems of the world” Emil said.

“Just enjoying the fact that it’s not up to me to solve them” Lang replied.

“I can understand that” Emil replied, “I’m having to deal with scientists who are working on that thing that we don’t talk about.”

“I assume that is too important to let go now they got it to work” Lang said with a look of disgust on his face.

“From your perspective having one of our best people quitting to start a family slowing everything down for the last several months has been a good thing” Emil said.

“Frau von Schmidt-Faust made what many think would be the proper decision for herself” Lang replied, “More power to her.”

“By many, you mean yourself.”

Lang just smiled at that. Emil looked at this matter as a soldier and ignored the political aspect. Nuclear bombs were in many respects the very caricature of everything that the anti-war movement thought was wrong with the military. Big, loud, unable to tell the difference between civilian and military targets bringing death on a massive scale. To Emil, they would have been a potential trump card that he would have been delighted to use against the Soviets if they could have broken the back of the Russian Army months sooner.

“They are discussing a new round of testing in the South Pacific” Emil said, “The Chancellor and the Reichstag are balking at the price tag that would come from that. The tests themselves and the cost of keeping uninvited guests out afterwards.”

“Let me guess” Lang replied, “The scientists think that money grows of trees.”

“Exactly” Emil said, “I don’t recall these things being problems when you were in charge.”

“These problems existed back then, you just were never in a position to have heard about it. We were fighting for our lives and we were constantly having to rob Peter to pay Paul” Lang said, “It’s something that we, as a nation are still paying for. And your predecessor, Manfred von Richthofen would have challenged me to a dual on several occasions over funding the Luftwaffe if not for this bum leg.”

Lang slapped his paralyzed right leg for emphasis.

Emil snorted at that, “As if that ever stopped you from picking a fight” He said.

“I know that” Lang said, “But if I had accepted a dual with von Richthofen then the respective heads of the various service branches would have been lined up behind him for their turn at giving me a whack in those days.”

Emil just shook his head when Lang said that. In his talks Lang had said repeatedly that there was no way that you can make everyone happy. That went double or triple during wartime, frequently he’d had to make decisions that were the least bad option available among an array of bad options. It wasn’t just funding that had caused Manfred von Richthofen’s personal animosity towards Lang. The Heer had been forced to retreat in Silesia and that had resulted in von Richthofen torching his own house to prevent to the Russians from having it as a prize. It was something that he’d personally blamed Lang for. A house was just a thing, thousands of German and Polish civilians had been brutalized by the Red Army and the Soviet security forces, the ones that Lang had been unable to get out. He had never heard von Richthofen say a word about that even though those were his own people who had taken it square in the teeth.

“The silences tend to grow long don’t they” Emil said offhandedly.

“Excuse me?” Lang asked.

“It comes from having to be the one making the decisions” Emil replied, “Then finding a way to live with it afterwards.”

Cape Town, South Africa

The man known as Rolihlahla Mandela, also known by the name he’d had since he’d started school, Nelson, laughed aloud when he’d learned what happened. Mostly as a show of bravado because he felt like hitting something. The two boys he’d tasked with watching the German column had gotten themselves caught and had been bragging about how they’d given up nothing. A bit more pressure on them had revealed that they had given up plenty, mostly through that bragging that they tended to do. The German Officer they’d dealt with had gotten them to tell him Rolihlahla’s name.

It was said that the Germans treated war like a science, evidently that included learning from the past mistakes. He’d read everything available in the University Library about the Second World War, particularly German war against the Soviets. He’d even taken the time to track down some of the surviving Askari who lived in the north when he’d learned that the Germans were coming and had gotten quite an education himself from those old men. It had been a reminder that though a lion will eventually grow old, it always remained a lion. One of the things that he’d learned was that the Germans had extensive experience in dealing with partisan fighters. The fact that their intelligence people just interrogated his watchers and cut them loose to have their families deal with them let Rolihlahla know that he wasn’t dealing with the typical colonial mindset. That would make it a challenge, like hitting smoke.

Last edited:
Nelson Mandela makes an appearance...well, this is really shaping up to be interesting...

Finding out what Nelson Mandela was like during this time period was interesting. At this point he is 30 years old and a firebrand within the ANC, favoring direct action and not necessarily adverse to taking radical measures. I moved up the formation of MK by a decade because that seemed like a likely reaction to a brewing civil war.

VERY interesting :) Truman as president of an imploding USA with a violent MLK, Nelson Mandela a firebrand--what's Gandhi doing?
One thing for sure--if anyone threatens Nancy. the ones laying the threat will not like it! Looking for more of the USA's situation. I have a feeling that the Northeast will be one of the safer places--fewer racial problems due to a fairly homogeneous racial mix--or rather, non-mix.

Truman probably has a more realistic view about Germany and is more focused on domestic issues right now.
He is most likely to be much less confrontational then Dewey but more about being competitive in the world's market.
On racial and civil rights issues he is probably going to try to use a massive public works programs spending to get the United States moving again and hope that will ease racial tensions.

Truman probably has a more realistic view about Germany and is more focused on domestic issues right now.
He is most likely to be much less confrontational then Dewey but more about being competitive in the world's market.
On racial and civil rights issues he is probably going to try to use a massive public works programs spending to get the United States moving again and hope that will ease racial tensions.
Assuming he can get anything through past the Dixiecrats. Then again....

Part 51, Chapter 693
Chapter Six Hundred Ninety-Three

15th November 1948

Jena

“I’m worried about Helene” Kat said, “Hans is in South Africa which has her worried sick and she has a baby on the way which is making things worse.”

“You’ve done everything that you can” Peter said to her, “Going so far as paying your half-sister to help keep an eye on her.”

“I think that Ilse would have done that without me paying her” Kat replied, she really didn’t like hearing Ilse referred to as her ‘half-sister’ Kat didn’t think of Ilse as half of anything. “She loves spending time with our nephew.”

“How are you handling this” Peter asked, “As well as your professional obligations?”

Over the prior weeks he’d been gently trying to coax Kat into talking about this subject, even though it was uncomfortable. Beyond her complaints about “Helene’s drama” as she had put it the week before, the way that Helene was reacting to this sudden change in circumstances was a great deal like what Peter was anticipating if Kat ever found herself in a comparable situation.

“I’m handling this as best I can” Kat said, “But then I go to work and have a parade of misery pass by my desk.”

“I can imagine” Peter replied, “You said a few weeks ago that you see yourself in them.”

“I try not to” Kat said, “But almost every day I read accounts of situations much like my own where women were able to strike back at their abusers, it landed them in prison.”

Kat was rumored to have been involved with the death of the man who had assaulted her. However, she had never divulged to Peter exactly what had happened. He suspected that she was still protecting her father despite the troubled relationship that they had.

“And your reaction to Helene?” Peter asked.

Kat gave a long sigh. “How can it be so different from when she had Manfred?” She said, “That was only a year and a half ago?”

“The situation is different, obviously” Peter said, “And even you know that no two pregnancies are the same. Your experiences with your friends and even the Empress herself ought to have driven that point home. What about your own experience?”

Kat’s jaw dropped when she heard that question. In all the years that she’d been coming to Doctor Holz, he’d never asked about that until now. It was something that she’d been grateful for. “Don’t” She said, “Just don’t.”

“It’s been the elephant in the room for the last fourteen years” Peter remarked, “I read about what you were put through, how you were victimized a second time by those who thought that they knew better than you. I’ve never asked because it was a matter of trust, but I think it’s holding you back.”

Kat sat there for a long moment unsure how to answer.

“Marcella told me what the initial conclusions were, she was straight with me when no one else was” She replied, “Those horrible men, they knew what they were asking of me. That I wasn’t expected to survive, and they simply didn’t care. Lecturing me as if I was totally ignorant of what was happening. All I could do is bite my lip to avoid screaming at them.”

Peter knew that she’d bitten through her lip, requiring several stiches. Even then she’d had an iron will. Even so that whole experience had left her traumatized for years afterwards. It also explained why Kat would walk through fire for Marcella Strobel if asked.

“And now?” Peter asked.

A look of fear crossed Kat’s face. “Douglas’ mother has been pressuring me through him” She said, “Doug has not talked passed her garbage on to me, beyond the abstract of what Margot is saying in her letters and he understands that our careers need to come first, for at least the next year or so.”

“And if you found yourself in Helene’s position?”

Kat sat there in silence for an extremely long time, terrified.

Finally, she broke her silence, “I would be very dangerous to everyone around me” She said in a small voice.

New Orleans, Louisiana

The case was taken off the ship, having been acquired at great expense in Russia. The item inside was unique and probably would have been extremely valuable to a collector or a historian, but the individuals involved had other things in mind for it. Opening the case an unidentified man pulled the rifle out of the case and opened the bolt. There was a bit of rust and it showed signs of neglect, but everything would be in working order with a bit of work. It was a highly refined version of the Mauser G98 rifle. The chambering was unfamiliar, 8.5mm SP, but they had a gunsmith who said he could duplicate to cartridge and load from the published notes of Heinz Thorwald. The man whose rifle this was.

It had been taken as a souvenir by the Officer who had led the operation that had ended in the death of the infamous German sniper. He had offered it for sale after he had fallen on hard times, having been expelled from the Russian Army as part of the post-Stalin house cleaning.

Now, it would be used to save America from itself.

It had been agreed that something had needed to be done. The country was pulling itself apart, too many regional differences and not many shared interests. Something was needed to restore unity, even if that was a common enemy.

“The situation is different, obviously” Peter said, “And even you know that no two pregnancies are the same. Your experiences with your friends and even the Empress herself ought to have driven that point home. What about your own experience?”

Kat’s jaw dropped when she heard that question. In all the years that she’d been coming to Doctor Holz, he’d never asked about that until now. It was something that she’d been grateful for. “Don’t” She said, “Just don’t.”

“It’s been the elephant in the room for the last fourteen years” Peter remarked, “I read about what you were put through, how you were victimized a second time by those who thought that they knew better than you. I’ve never asked because it was a matter of trust, but I think it’s holding you back.”

Kat sat there for a long moment unsure how to answer.

“Marcella told me what the initial conclusions were, she was straight with me when no one else was” She replied, “Those horrible men, they knew what they were asking of me. That I wasn’t expected to survive, and they simply didn’t care. Lecturing me as if I was totally ignorant of what was happening. All I could do is bite my lip to avoid screaming at them.”

Peter knew that she’d bitten through her lip, requiring several stiches. Even then she’d had an iron will. Even so that whole experience had left her traumatized for years afterwards. It also explained why Kat would walk through fire for Marcella Strobel if asked.

“And now?” Peter asked.

A look of fear crossed Kat’s face. “Douglas’ mother has been pressuring me through him” She said, “Doug has not talked passed her garbage on to me, beyond the abstract of what Margot is saying in her letters and he understands that our careers need to come first, for at least the next year or so.”

“And if you found yourself in Helene’s position?”

Kat sat there in silence for an extremely long time, terrified.

Finally, she broke her silence, “I would be very dangerous to everyone around me” She said in a small voice.

I think this might be characterized as progress.

New Orleans, Louisiana

The case was taken off the ship, having been acquired at great expense in Russia. The item inside was unique and probably would have been extremely valuable to a collector or a historian, but the individuals involved had other things in mind for it. Opening the case an unidentified man pulled the rifle out of the case and opened the bolt. There was a bit of rust and it showed signs of neglect, but everything would be in working order with a bit of work. It was a highly refined version of the Mauser G98 rifle. The chambering was unfamiliar, 8.5mm SP, but they had a gunsmith who said he could duplicate to cartridge and load from the published notes of Heinz Thorwald. The man whose rifle this was.

It had been taken as a souvenir by the Officer who had led the operation that had ended in the death of the infamous German sniper. He had offered it for sale after he had fallen on hard times, having been expelled from the Russian Army as part of the post-Stalin house cleaning.

Now, it would be used to save America from itself.

It had been agreed that something had needed to be done. The country was pulling itself apart, too many regional differences and not many shared interests. Something was needed to restore unity, even if that was a common enemy.

This is not good; not good at all. Whatever group gets blamed for a high-profile assassination is gonna be in deep trouble. I hope it isn't the Germans or the Blacks; the KKK would be good.

The optics were probably destroyed in the explosion. Following the trail of whoever buys the replacement from the manufacturer might be of some use.

Googling "8.5mm SP ammunition" leads to the .338 Winchester Magnum.

Last edited:
Neat chapter! Tracing the gun to its original owner might be impossible. Even if it is traced, MIA in the USSR at the time meant DEAD! No reasonable person could blame Germany for whatever happens--but then, reason and logic are oft in short supply.

Neat chapter! Tracing the gun to its original owner might be impossible. Even if it is traced, MIA in the USSR at the time meant DEAD! No reasonable person could blame Germany for whatever happens--but then, reason and logic are oft in short supply.
Plus, it's a Russian surplus weapon. Add in the chaos from their upheaval, they can just go "OK, you want serial number for rifle? We will get on it, right after we find out where platoon's worth of AT rifles went to. Then there's those Maxims we lost during the retreats...."

Ah yes, the prophetised American-German war seems to be starting. A Presidential assassination, with shady evidence of German responsibility will do.

As far as anyone knows, it's a GERMAN weapon...

Yeah. Here's its origins:

The rifle he was using was no longer the old 8x57 caliber that Thorwald had used in earlier days. When the Heer had started to switch to intermediate cartridges he’d switched to something far more suited to his needs. The cartridge he’d developed was his own spin on the .333 Jeffery Rimless Nitro Express that had famously blown holes through steel plates in the Great War. A 16 gram 8.5 mm bullet fired at 900 meters per second was more than enough to kill almost anything in Europe shy of Panzers. The problem he had with this was that he needed a scope that could survive that sort of punishment. Zeiss had come through after Thorwald had thrown money at the problem. They had started manufacturing the resulting product and selling it to hunters around the world. Thorwald didn’t begrudge them for it, they had a business to run.

.333 Jeffery Rimless leads here

Last edited: