BINGO!!

Bush didn't stop to think about the odds of the ANC exercising some "solidarity" with their fellow oppressed Black Brothers in the deep South in the form of paramilitary training and a part of the weapons and ammo bought, the payment for their aid in loading and smuggling the weapons out of the US, and possibly aid in the insertion of the weapons into South Africa.

Methinks that the KKK it's going find themselves soon experiencing the feeling of being hunted like rats for properly armed African-Americans, that also have been trained in Urban and Jungle Guerrilla Warfare, meaning that they now know HOW to Outmaneuver, Outfight, and Outsmart the Rednecks either with ambushes, hit and Run assaults or "Pin The Sniper Bullet in the KKK Leader"... courtesy of the always very lethal K98 Sniper Mauser with Zeiss scope....
Why would the "Black Brothers" need to get guns from the ANC when they can just buy them locally? The ANC were a terrorist organization at this point, so whatever training they can give would be significantly worse than whatever the US Army or Marines could provide, so again what would be the point?

It wasn't lack of means that stopped African-Americans from using violence during the Civil Rights Movement, as many of them had hunting rifles and shotguns, as well as military training from WWII and Korea, it was a desire to actually be able to effect change while avoiding violence. Remember the movement began in the black churches of the south.

Going immediately to an armed insurrection isn't going to win them any sympathy from the rest of the US, and that is where the support for change has to come from, something OTL civil rights leaders understood very well.

Why would the "Black Brothers" need to get guns from the ANC when they can just buy them locally? The ANC were a terrorist organization at this point, so whatever training they can give would be significantly worse than whatever the US Army or Marines could provide, so again what would be the point?

It wasn't lack of means that stopped African-Americans from using violence during the Civil Rights Movement, as many of them had hunting rifles and shotguns, as well as military training from WWII and Korea, it was a desire to actually be able to effect change while avoiding violence. Remember the movement began in the black churches of the south.

Going immediately to an armed insurrection isn't going to win them any sympathy from the rest of the US, and that is where the support for change has to come from, something OTL civil rights leaders understood very well.
They do NOT need the guns alone, but they do NEED the training from people with actual warfare experience , and specially in the type of warfare needed here.

Remember here that this is NOT OTL, meaning that WWII and Korea NEVER happened here, obviously meaning that they LACK said experience, and Mandela's boys have it from their skirmishes with the Afrikaneers.

Also this its NOT Armed Insurrection, but in the eyes of the African-Americans its to FINALLY take a rightful stand against the depredations of the KKK and their racist sympathizers.

Part 49, Chapter 663
Chapter Six Hundred Sixty-Three

21st June 1948

Berlin

“It was Gianna and Asia who came up with the idea of throwing a surprise party” Kat said, “Gia didn’t need to be so cheeky when she said that they didn’t dare throw a surprise party for me because I would hurt someone by mistake.”

“How did Ilse take it?” Doctor Holz asked. He was finally back after taking several weeks off following the death of Erma Tangeman. It was noticeable that he had not mentioned Gianna’s joke. Kat reacting violently to unexpected situations and hurting someone who didn’t deserve it were topics that they had discussed many times in the past.

“She was convinced that no one cared about her” Kat replied, “If I had remembered how easy it is her for to think that I might have gone about it differently.”

“When someone’s entire life is defined by how they were abandoned, it’s small wonder that might be the first conclusion they’d reach.”

Kat frowned when she heard that, what she’d done had been incredibly insensitive.

“Besides that,” Doctor Holz continued, “You decided to take the job with the Federal Police?”

“It’s not a job yet” Kat replied, “I’ve a couple years of training ahead and I can still fail out easily.”

“How so?”

Kat gave an exasperated sigh “They read my military file and told me that if I showed signs of being overly aggressive they’d get rid of me” She said, “They also concluded that I tend to escalate matters unnecessarily. I mean, it’s only been a couple weeks.”

“You tend to make an impression” Doctor Holz said, “Interpersonal matters are a weak spot for you. Shy or angry do tend to be the speeds in which you operate.”

Why was it that everyone was saying the same thing when this subject came up?

----------------------------------------------------------------

The squirrels in the park were aggressive and not the least bit afraid of people. It made observing them an amusing process. The fun of Ilse’s birthday had extended through the weekend and this was the first chance that she’d had to test out the new binoculars that had been a gift from Kat. They were military grade, 10x power, and even had a graded grid reticle in the right side to estimate distance. They were far nicer than anything that Ilse could afford. Kat had said that Doctor Holtz’s younger sister was a plant manager at Zeiss, meaning that she was able to get them at a substantial discount. Watching the squirrels was probably not what the people who’d made them had in mind.

A couple hundred meters away, a businessman was trying to eat his lunch on a park bench. He suddenly found himself with some furry new friends who were also interested in his lunch. And they weren’t taking no for an answer. As Ilse watched one of the squirrels got into whatever the man was drinking. While he was trying ineffectively to shoo the animal away and take his drink back, it’s comrades launched an attack on the man’s sandwich. The man saw too late what was happening and the squirrels scattered. Ilse saw one with a slice of tomato and another with a leaf of lettuce as they ran off.

Ilse could hear the businessman swearing at the squirrels from where she was. He probably wouldn’t be happy to know that there had been a witness to how his lunch had been ruined. It had been fun to watch, Ilse thought to herself as she put the lens caps back on the binoculars and put them in the rucksack with her books. She had to get back to class.

Los Angeles, California

Things had finally come into focus as to what the Election in November would look like. Richard Nixon had talked the State Democratic Party into supporting his bid for the State Assembly. But then as it had turned out, they were basically the only show in town.

Running for an open Assembly Seat was proving to be both an easier and more difficult process than Nixon had imagined it would be. The Republican Party was basically a nonentity in California in the 1948 election, in California anyway. Everyone expected President Dewey to go down in flames and take what was left of his Party with him. That meant that no one wanted to run with an R after their name. Instead, Nixon found himself facing off against a zoo of third party candidates.

Traveling through the District that he hoped to represent Nixon saw that it was a mixture of urban and rural areas, two interests that would inevitably clash with each other. There was supposed to have been a housing boom in the region, however between the National economy and just plain bad luck it had never materialized. There had been several speculators who had lost their shirts because of that turn of events. After years of booming growth, Southern California was stagnating for the first time in decades.

People were not interested in listening to talk about business cycles and how things would get better eventually. Nixon knew better, these people wanted blood, they wanted the head of whoever had caused the good times to end. Everyone expected that Dewey was going to get served up like a Thanksgiving turkey, just as cooked to boot. Nixon knew that couldn’t be the end of it. He had a feeling that there was a train leaving the station, to talk metaphorically, and he could either be on it or under it.

Last edited:

FBKampfer

Banned
Nixon knew that couldn’t be the end of it. He had a feeling that there was a train leaving the station, to talk metaphorically, and he could either be on it or under it.

Revolution you say?

best-communism-memes.jpg

Los Angeles, California

Things had finally come into focus as to what the Election in November would look like. Richard Nixon had talked the State Democratic Party into supporting his bid for the State Assembly. But then as it had turned out, they were basically the only show in town.

Running for an open Assembly Seat was proving to be both an easier and more difficult process than Nixon had imagined it would be. The Republican Party was basically a nonentity in California in the 1948 election, in California anyway. Everyone expected President Dewey to go down in flames and take what was left of his Party with him. That meant that no one wanted to run with an R after their name. Instead, Nixon found himself facing off against a zoo of third party candidates.

Traveling through the District that he hoped to represent Nixon saw that it was a mixture of urban and rural areas, two interests that would inevitably clash with each other. There was supposed to have been a housing boom in the region, however between the National economy and just plain bad luck it had never materialized. There had been several speculators who had lost their shirts because of that turn of events. After years of booming growth, Southern California was stagnating for the first time in decades.

People were not interested in listening to talk about business cycles and how things would get better eventually. Nixon knew better, these people wanted blood, they wanted the head of whoever had caused the good times to end. Everyone expected that Dewey was going to get served up like a Thanksgiving turkey, just as cooked to boot. Nixon knew that couldn’t be the end of it. He had a feeling that there was a train leaving the station, to talk metaphorically, and he could either be on it or under it.

Something tells me that this Nixon is going to be the Hero we Deserve, and the Hero We Need......after Truman, of course.

Huh! Just thining, but where exactly are the OTL military commanders at the moment?

I mean, we have seen Bradley and Patton and Nimitz.....what are Eisenhower and Marshall up to?

IOTL Eisenhower was MacArthur's aide during the Bonus Army affair but there hasn't been mention of him ITTL. No mention of George C. Marshall, either.

Nimitz is descended from German immigrants who settled in Texas and he speaks German fluently.
IOTL he was part of the Submarine service and in the Nineteen Twenties and Thirties became the pioneer in the replenishment of ships underway.
More likely than not he is the one in the United States Navy who is keeping the closest eye on KLM development and if anyone has any idea on what the development of the new ballistic missile submarine that the KLM just launched means, it would be him.

Beats suburban squirrels. Twenty-odd years ago one chomped the power line to my part of my neighborhood right in front of the house I grew up in. (Bugger had its guts blown out and was dangling from the line by its intestines.) My logic was to call the electric company, knock dead squirrel off with a shoe, bag it in a newspaper bag, and staple said bag to the pole. The repairman was amused by the trophy.

Several years later when I was an undergrad living in Philly, I'd face squirrels standing atop trash cans just waiting for you to give them something to rummage through as they stare you down. Either way, squirrels are dumb as rocks, but urban squirrels are brave.

Urban squirrels are incredibly ballsy, lol!

"Urban" nothing it's "thing" with German squirrels. When I was stationed there (90s) urban or woodland didn't matter those punks, (yes the all had "punk" ruffs so the name fit :) ) would leap on you and chase you down for food! And half the time they'd toss it away because it didn't 'meet their standards' or something and come at you again. Almost died laughing when a two year old and a squirrel got into a dead-serious 'growling' match over a gummy bear!

Randy

Part 49, Chapter 664
Chapter Six Hundred Sixty-Four

2nd July 1948

Norfolk, Virginia

“Simply put, the Germans are full of shit” Chester Nimitz said, “While they are known for provisioning their ships at sea, there is not a chance in Hell that Creepy von Schmidt would build something so tactically unsound.”

That brought a round of laughter from the men who remained in the Officer’s Mess of the USS Montana as the card game had lasted into the early morning hours. As the flagship of the US Atlantic Fleet she was currently moored in Norfolk. The subject of the Preussen Class and the latest smokescreen surrounding the new German Type XXIX Class. As far as the US Navy was aware, U-916 was the only ship of her Class in existence. The US Navy through the ONI had extended a tremendous amount of effort to get a photograph of the new sub only to watch as the Germans had issued a press release a couple days later. The question was that what would the Germans need with a submarine the size of a Cruiser?

“So, you don’t think it’s a sub tender?” Sam Grant, the Captain of the Montana asked.

“I would have to have the brains of celery” Nimitz replied, “And it was obvious from the photograph that the Krauts released that that thing is no milk cow.”

The grainy photograph with the press release that the Germans had put out had been revealing for what it had not actually revealed. The photograph that the US Navy had acquired was in poor light and taken when U-916 was passing under a bridge, part of a habit of only departing or leaving in the dead of night that the Germans had adopted with this sub. In the German photo the lines of hatches that were visible aft of the conning tower visible in the first photo had been deliberately obscured. Those hatches were worrying because they suggested that U-916 was an offensive weapon unlike anything the world had previously seen, if it was even real.

That was how things went when matching wits with Grand Admiral von Schmidt. The nickname of “Creepy” had followed him around since the ONI had first became aware of him in the thirties. Nimitz himself had discovered that nothing could be taken at face value when the German Admiral was involved. Frequently those who tried to get ahead of von Schmidt ended up second guessing themselves into inactivity. As far as Nimitz knew, the Japanese had only managed to catch him flat footed once in the Pacific War. The Question was, by making what he hoped was an educated guess to what the real purpose of U-916 was Nimitz chasing von Schmidt down a rabbit hole? It wouldn’t be the first time something like that had happened.

Berlin

It was an impressive project if, and that was a big IF, they could keep it going. The German Empire, Russia and China were the big players as of now, with Belarus, Ukraine, Korea and Vietnam playing an increasingly substantial role as the nations were linked by a series of large railroad networks. The Russians were interested in the continuing development of the area around Vladivostok, the seaport and nearby border crossing into Korea held promise. There was however, the next step. That was the reason for the Japanese Delegation’s presence in Berlin. The Pacific War had been an unmitigated disaster for the island nation. There had been a rather vicious internal conflict that had followed. Much to the relief of Japan’s neighbors the pragmatists had won. Now, they were interested in finding a new way of doing things. It seemed that the lesson that Japan had taken away from the Pacific War was that it’s far cheaper to buy people off than it is to fight with them. No one knew who gave them that idea, but it remained to be seen if that was a good thing or not. At the present, China and Japan were seeking an accommodation regarding centuries of mutual grievances and current negotiations were based on beginning the process of starting talks that might one day lead to negotiations.

To help iron out the details of where and when this momentous event might happen in the distant future the German Government had agreed to host intermediaries of the two countries. There were also preparations for a State visit by the Japanese Emperor later in the Summer. It was yet one more complication that year. The Greeks and Turks were fighting again, all Hell was breaking loose in South Africa and while things had started improving economically these were still challenging times. Into this mix stepped an odd figure who was totally unexpected.

Yoshitsugu Saitō was here in Berlin as part of an ironic exile. He’d been captured on Saipan much to his eternal shame. He’d drawn his sword attempting to find an honorable death and instead he’d been clubbed over the head, hogtied and loaded onto a helicopter. He had been a reluctant guest of the Germans in Freemantle, Australia for the rest of the war with Grand Admiral von Schmidt visiting him every few months. Saitō had learned German in that time and had somehow emerged from the war as one of the few Generals from the IJA to emerge from the war with his honor and reputation relativity intact. Now he had this young man who wanted to speak with him.

“I heard you were here and just wanted to return this to you, Sir” He said in clumsy Japanese. The young man in question had shaggy hair and a few weeks of beard, a sweater with the turtleneck shirt underneath was typical of the collegiate types here. He was holding Saitō’s katana, the one that had been taken from him.

It seemed that the lesson that Japan had taken away from the Pacific War was that it’s far cheaper to buy people off than it is to fight with them. No one knew who gave them that idea
My bet it was Emperor Louis Ferdinand when he and Emperor Hirohito were negotiating the Armistice.

Nimitz is on the right track about the new sub but he still has not grasped what the forward hatches are for, and when he does I wonder if anyone will believe it.