Then there was a photograph of Kat. She hadn’t bothered to change before following Gerta and Kurt in her car to the courthouse and then the park. Her face had not a speck of cosmetics on it and her clothes… Maria knew how she dressed on her own time, but it probably came as a surprise to people. Maria noticed that the tattered sweater was grey green these days as opposed to grey blue. Kat must have replaced it at some point. Also in the photograph was Gianna, Asia and Ilse who were apparently taking their fashion cues, or lack thereof, from Kat. The beautiful Emerald of Berlin had just gotten revenge on the fashion houses of Europe.

Wait, are Kat's pants cut below the knee? I wonder if a certain fashion designer will see the pictures and draw some inspiration...

Kat is so important that is (lack of) fashion sense is tendence now, espeacilly with his court of young(er) pretty girls

Mayhap those who think Kurt should be flogged would include the Oberst himself?
Don't think so, more a case of why wasn't "I" invited for this party. All those old cavalary typs loved the image of the "Raid" but are pissed at being left out (to senior). This makes the panzer corps the place to be for all those old Junker famalies.

For an officer to be assigned to the new Calvary unit it is a sign that they are destined for some of the most important jobs in the panzer corps and the competition for the slots are going to be fierce.
I can see the unit going on international tours as a symbol of German tradition and will be very popular everywhere they go to.

Part 46, Chapter 613
Chapter Six Hundred Thirteen

13th September 1947

Berlin

It was late at night, nearly midnight, Douglas had woken up and getting back to sleep was proving elusive. There was a storm tonight and he could hear wind driven raindrops hitting the window. Kat was snuggled into his side under the blankets, she was wearing one of her nightgowns made of heavy flannel that was about as revealing as the insulated coveralls she wore in the wintertime. Still though, he could feel what she was, or more correctly wasn’t, wearing underneath which was oddly a bit enticing. It was also a reminder of the tumultuous events of the last few months. After a great deal of discussion, and the blunt intervention of Kat’s Aunt Marcella, the two of them had reached a few conclusions. They would continue to be cautious, Kat would be given the time and space she needed to figure out what she wanted, and Doug would be included in that process. If there were any unexpected developments, then they would need to discuss things again and Kat had agreed that she would not panic or do anything rash.

The reasons why Doug had agreed to that may have been an act of rebellion against his mother. In her last letter, Margot had written that now that he had insisted on marrying a German girl it was her understanding that German women were known for certain things, this could work out in some respects and he needed to take charge. He had thrown out the letter and was glad that there were thousands of kilometers between Berlin and Montreal. If Margot had said such things to Kat and included it with her desire to have grandchildren, then she would get deservedly ripped to pieces.

The way Doug saw it personally was that they had time for whatever may come. Kat was a term away from getting her University degree and she was leaning strongly towards going on to Medical School. Kat had suggested that for her future career the Medical Corps might be a better fit for her. That was a reminder that she had been passed over for further advancement for now because she had married him. It was debt that Doug felt he owed her even if Kat said that she didn’t care about such things.

Douglas also had his own career to consider. These days he had his choice of assignments, but he recalled last year when he had been on an expedition to the Karnak Temple in Egypt he had kept thinking about how Kat would love it and missed her terribly the whole time. Perhaps Kat could come along on his next big assignment. It would fall on her winter break and unlike their friends, the two of them didn’t have children or any on the way that they would need to worry about. They could finally go on a real adventure.

“How would you like to go to Patagonia, Kat?” Doug whispered.

“Was hast du gesagt?” Kat replied, her voice muzzy with sleep. What did you say?

“Nothing Kat” Doug whispered, “Go back to sleep.” And he kissed the top of her head.

14th September 1947

Potsdam

“In return for recognizing the independence of the Caroline islands, the various Kings will recognize Louis Ferdinand as the High King” Kat said, “They just ask that the two of you travel there in person to accept their hospitality.”

“Taking a trip to the South Seas during the winter” Kira said, “It seems like such a hardship to endure in the name of diplomacy.”

“Isn’t it” Kat replied.

It was part of the deal that that had been hammered out with the Caroline Islands. They would get representation in the Reichstag, just like any of the other subject kingdoms. They could manage their own affairs but would still need to abide by the German Constitution. There were however a host of things around the edges that remained to be negotiated, a process that was expected to take years. It was figured that similar deals would need to be reached with the other island chains as well Western Samoa, which saw this as an opportunity to become more that a colony. This along with Bohemia trying to get seats on the Federal Council showed that in the coming years the Reichstag would become a very interesting place.

“That’s it for current events” Kat said, “All that’s left is what your doctor asked me to talk with you about.”

Kira frowned when Kat said that. “Not you too” She said. There had been growing concern in recent months about the Empress and what many saw as her neglect of her personal health. It was understandable that she wanted to enjoy her life, but she was nearly forty, lack of exercise and her indulging of her sweet tooth was taking a toll.

“The Emperor himself ordered me to help you” Kat said, “Written orders at that.”

“Is he trying to get me killed?” Kira asked.

“No” Kat replied, “Quite the opposite, really.”

“I’m not like you” Kira said. It was rumored that if not for the war resulting in cancellation Kat might have been invited to join the German Olympic team as a Sprinter in 1944. One of her jobs at Judenbach had been to run those who aspired to join the SKA into the ground. Few things broke down the monstrous egos of the sort of men who volunteered to join that elite Regiment faster than to find themselves unable to keep up with or touch the endurance of a young woman who was half their size and looked like someone’s little sister.

“No one expects that” Kat said, “But the longer you wait the more difficult this will become.”

Last edited:
I have something running in my head, the Kat v. Mischner-Blackwood work out show. Kind of a cross between Jack Lalane and Jane Fonda. Except having her run people into the ground.

“That’s it for current events” Kat said, “All that’s left is what your doctor asked me to talk with you about.”

Kira frowned when Kat said that. “Not you too” She said. There had been growing concern in recent months about the Empress and what many saw as her neglect of her personal health. It was understandable that she wanted to enjoy her life, but she was nearly forty, lack of exercise and her indulging of her sweet tooth was taking a toll.

“The Emperor himself ordered me to help you” Kat said, “Written orders at that.”

“Is he trying to get me killed?” Kira asked.

“No” Kat replied, “Quite the opposite, really.”
I think that the expression "Karma it's a bitch" fits perfectly the scene.

Now Kat has lawful orders to troll the unholy shit of Kira in the sake of her Health. And more than likely she'll recruit the kids into the mayhem.

This is still the best timeline out there, and an inspiration to all of us. Although there's a lot of great characters, somehow Kat became the centerpiece for a lot of people. (On a future version of TVTropes, she'd be included in "Names to run away from really fast.!)

The plan for the Caroline Islands sounds very intriguing and innovating, this will be a model of decolonization that other countries can follow and more importantly it stopped me from making one of my more stupid posts that Holyknight has problems with.

Kira and Kat: Strong will object meets stronger will force in a war for better healthy lifestyle for the Empress.

At the very least some of the most beautiful islands on the planet aren't going to get vaporised or turned into radioactive uninhabitable waste dumps ITTL

At the very least some of the most beautiful islands on the planet aren't going to get vaporised or turned into radioactive uninhabitable waste dumps ITTL
Well they are going to get subsidies from Berlin and that might mean that Germany will want to store some items that they don't want to keep at home.

FBKampfer

Banned
Well they are going to get subsidies from Berlin and that might mean that Germany will want to store some items that they don't want to keep at home.

Governor: Tell me again why this stuff is glowing? Radium paint you said?

Heer officer: Yeah. That's believable, right?

Nah you don't want radiologicals where all those German tourists go to dive school, ah I meant the Marineauklaerung is testing their new diving equipment they found under the Christmas tree after the Christkind, I mean those nice Abwehr chappies left it there.

I wonder what "Medicine Sans Frontiers" is when translated to German. I can see Kat going on an assignment with Douglas to a Famine or Disaster and being moved to mobilize her contact list to do something positive about it.