Emil is now a Field Marshall. Has he been ennobled as well, and by this is mean a "Von"
Is linked you get a baton and a title, though there is no way in hell that he didn't receive at least a dozen knighthood orders. He might in fact have a rather nice collection of foreign titles as well, Korean and Australian to start with.

Part 46, Chapter 606
Chapter Six Hundred Six

18th August 1947

Berlin

It was the first depressive episode that Kat had had in some time and she looked terrible. Peter had been called by Douglas who said that she had been eating almost nothing while hardly sleeping for the last several days. She was back to wearing old faded clothes under that army greatcoat of hers. She hadn’t bothered to brush out her hair or braid it as she normally preferred to do, and it hung messily in greasy locks.

“It’s a bit different when you have someone else in your life who is concerned about you” Peter said, “Mind telling me what’s going on this time.”

“I couldn’t pretend to be happy forever” Kat replied sarcastically.

“Don’t give me that” Peter said, “You were genuinely happy there for a while, now that’s changed. You’re not self-medicating again, are you?”

Kat stared at Peter for a long moment. Since the time she’d taken that pill containing LSD/MDMA in an effort to fight off a bout of depression more than a year earlier it had become one of the first questions he always asked. The truth was that she still had the remaining pills but had lacked the opportunity to try that again. She didn’t want to be interfered with if she decided to do that.

“What else did Doug tell you?” Kat asked.

“He said that you were suspended by the BND, there’s an investigation going on and about what’s happening with your friend Lagertha” Peter replied, “Between those things and the workload you have as student I’d say that is more than enough to push you over the edge into your current state.”

“Gerta is being incredibly stupid” Kat said, “She’s got her head in the clouds and can’t she see that Kurt is crazy about her? I don’t understand why she’s doing this. She’s just not thinking this through.”

“I’d say that it’s a matter of self-determination” Peter replied. “That’s something that I’m sure you understand and Kat, when it comes to rash actions with little thought to the consequences, normally it’s you who are the one doing things like this. Your friend is an adult, free to make her own mistakes and hopefully she’ll figure out that she’s messing things up on her own. Having met Fraulein von Wolvogle, I figure that it will be about halfway through the third trimester when she’ll realize that she’s in way over her head.”

Peter had intended that last part as joke even if by his estimation it was the truth, but Kat wasn’t laughing. Instead she sat there on the chair, hugging her knees to her chest. Her very posture radiated her unhappiness and defensiveness.

“But I also know that you direct the conversation towards your friends when you don’t want to talk about yourself” Peter said, “What is this about you getting suspended by the BND and being under investigation? Why did you not mention this before?”

“Because it wasn’t important” Kat replied.

“I’m sorry, Kat, but I’m in complete disagreement with you on this matter.”

Kat sighed, she knew he wasn’t going to let this go. “It’s because I married Douglas and his father happens to be the head of a Canadian counter intelligence agency.”

Peter let out a low whistle. The shadowy Principles in charge of the German Intelligence Services would take a very dim view of that. While they had every indication that Douglas was exactly what he said he was, a freelance photographer and journalist. His father changed everything. They would want to know if Kat had been turned and even if she hadn’t been, she would still have the perception of being compromised hanging over her.

“What did the Empress have to say?” Peter asked, “I know you are close with her.”

Kat looked at him with a look of pure misery, “I’ve not seen or heard from her since the reception” She said.

So, that was a big part of this. Kat was dealing with the rejection by her friend and patroness.

“How are you dealing with that?” Peter asked even though he knew the answer already. By getting depressed and neglecting to take care of herself.

“I’m obviously not dealing with anything” Kat replied.

At least not well, by anyone’s standards.

Kiel

A few weeks earlier the relaunch of the SMS Preussen had been done to great fanfare. With the international press on hand there was a band playing, flags were waving and confetti flying the great flagship of the Fleet had been towed out of the flooded drydock and then made her way to the pier under her own power. In the coming weeks she would depart for Taiwan and relieve the SMS Brandenburg as the flagship of the Pacific Squadron. For Jacob it was a bittersweet moment, he would not be going with her this time.

That relaunch had also been a smoke screen for what was happening a few hundred meters away. If the Preussen was the tradition of the Fleet, then the launch of the first of the new Type XXIX Class Submarine was the future. U-916 was one of the largest submersible vessels ever built. She had slid down the spillway in great secrecy while all eyes were elsewhere. Now she was preparing to put to sea for her shakedown cruise. The vast teardrop shaped hull made of high strength alloy and advanced diesel/electric propulsion meant that her home was in the depths. Jacob’s responsibilities would keep him in Kiel as much as he might want to be there when the rockets were launched for the first time. Albrecht von Richthofen had volunteered to be his proxy as a civilian consultant but Jacob was patient. He knew what it was like to be a young man with a difficult father and defying family traditions. Eventually, Albrecht would see where his future was and that would be the Fleet’s gain.

Last edited:
That relaunch had also been a smoke screen for what was happening a few hundred meters away. If the Preussen was the tradition of the Fleet, then the launch of the first of the new Type XXIX Class Submarine was the future. U-916 was one of the largest submersible vessels ever built. She had slid down the spillway in great secrecy while all eyes were elsewhere. Now she was preparing to put to sea for her shakedown cruise. The vast teardrop shaped hull made of high strength alloy and advanced diesel/electric propulsion meant that her home was in the depths.

And a cold war with MAD approaches... and the germans are once again a few steps ahead of everyone else. ;)

Great update, as usual :extremelyhappy:

He knew what it was like to be a young man with a difficult father and defying family traditions. Eventually, Albrecht would see where his future was and that would be the Fleet’s gain.
..... Please imagine the face of Manfred Von Richthofen to hear the news about Albrecht becoming an officer in the Kaiserliche Marine. add the theme music below for your mental enjoyment to the scene.

von Richthofen looking sourly at his older son: At least there is one of my sons is serving his country, and I now have my grandson to carry on the family tradition.

As I was reading about JFK (OTL version) and how after WW II many veterans got in to politics in the United States, I started to think that ITTL Germany the political parties are going to recruit returning veterans for office.
From the glimpses of the views that Helene has been shown to us, she has basically the same outlook as her father.
While I understand that in Germany it is more about moving up in the party ranks before you can run for office, Helene being the daughter of the Red Baron, the SIL of Kat, the wife of a highly decorated Heer officer, and herself being a decorated veteren would be perfect for the National Republicans as a symbol of the blending of "Traditional German Women" with the reality of the new post war Germany and she can become the Angela Merkel of this timeline before the OTL Angela Merkel.

Md139115

Banned
..... Please imagine the face of Manfred Von Richthofen to hear the news about Albrecht becoming an officer in the Kaiserliche Marine. add the theme music below for your mental enjoyment to the scene.

I think that this is highly appropriate...

If only because I wouldn’t put it past the Baron to shoot lightning from his hands when he finds out...

I think that this is highly appropriate...

If only because I wouldn’t put it past the Baron to shoot lightning from his hands when he finds out...
Either that or kidnap Emil for a drinking Bender because while one of his sons had finally fulfilled his duty......

A SAILOR. A bloody Sailor. God knows how many generations of his Junker ancestors are spinning in their tombs.

I can imagine Helene with an acute case of WTF in her face to see a slightly tipsy Emil bring an utterly sloshed Manfred to the house.

Imagine then the expression of Albrecht when he is told by Helene that he managed to break their old man. :openedeyewink::openedeyewink::openedeyewink:

Either that or kidnap Emil for a drinking Bender because while one of his sons had finally fulfilled his duty......

A SAILOR. A bloody Sailor. God knows how many generations of his Junker ancestors are spinning in their tombs.

I can imagine Helene with an acute case of WTF in her face to see a slightly tipsy Emil bring an utterly sloshed Manfred to the house.

Imagine then the expression of Albrecht when he is told by Helene that he managed to break their old man. :openedeyewink::openedeyewink::openedeyewink:

And then her response: "See what you've done? Who knows how long he'll be like this!"

Well, if this "Sailor" deals with the navy's rockets, perhaps he can say, "He may be in the navy--but by flying higher than anyone ever did before, he counts as Luftwaffe in spirit!"

Md139115

Banned
Well, if this "Sailor" deals with the navy's rockets, perhaps he can say, "He may be in the navy--but by flying higher than anyone ever did before, he counts as Luftwaffe in spirit!"

What if he develops AA rockets/missiles?

Then the hunters like Manfred would become the hunted...

He can’t take that well...

What if he develops AA rockets/missiles?

Then the hunters like Manfred would become the hunted...

He can’t take that well...

He'll just push the Luftwaffe to bolt them to his plane, and go hunting--or, at his age, have someone else go hunting.

Has anyone thought that with the birth of his first grandson that just maybe von Richthofen has mellowed out and will accept and back Albrecht decision to joins the KLM?

None of you... me neither

18th August 1947

Berlin

“Gerta is being incredibly stupid” Kat said, “She’s got her head in the clouds and can’t she see that Kurt is crazy about her? I don’t understand why she’s doing this. She’s just not thinking this through.”

“I’d say that it’s a matter of self-determination” Peter replied. “That’s something that I’m sure you understand and Kat, when it comes to rash actions with little thought to the consequences, normally it’s you who are the one doing things like this. Your friend is an adult, free to make her own mistakes and hopefully she’ll figure out that she’s messing things up on her own. Having met Fraulein von Wolvogle, I figure that it will be about halfway through the third trimester when she’ll realize that she’s in way over her head.”

About Gerta & Kurt's kid:

Is she going to carry it to term? From what Peter said I think so.

Did Gerta inherit Wolvogel's title? Would the kid inherit it from her? Isn't she a member of the Order of the Black Eagle in her own right?

After she has the kid, who has any parental rights? Kurt might try for some type of shared custody if she lists him as the father, or maybe full custody if his lawyers successfully paint her as a irresponsible flake - I don't doubt that the Heer has suitable childcare avaiable.

I kinda doubt that Gerta's mother is interested in her grandkid. Wolvogel's wife, however, is highly likely to kick up a fuss - probably wanting to get full custody of the kid and therefore whatever they can grab in terms of property or money or child support payments 'for the benefit of the child' of course.

This can get messy.

FBKampfer

Banned
About Gerta & Kurt's kid:

Is she going to carry it to term? From what Peter said I think so.

Did Gerta inherit Wolvogel's title? Would the kid inherit it from her? Isn't she a member of the Order of the Black Eagle in her own right?

After she has the kid, who has any parental rights? Kurt might try for some type of shared custody if she lists him as the father, or maybe full custody if his lawyers successfully paint her as a irresponsible flake - I don't doubt that the Heer has suitable childcare avaiable.

I kinda doubt that Gerta's mother is interested in her grandkid. Wolvogel's wife, however, is highly likely to kick up a fuss - probably wanting to get full custody of the kid and therefore whatever they can grab in terms of property or money or child support payments 'for the benefit of the child' of course.

This can get messy.

Of course it will get messy. So far Gerta's the only one that hasn't had to bump up with the consequences of her actions, so she never thinks things all the way through.

Either PM is going to give her a thrashing in the next few weeks, or she gets away scott free and Kurt has to figure out how to make sure his kid is raised right.

Part 46, Chapter 607
Chapter Six Hundred Seven

24th August 1947

Wunsdorf-Zossen

The Sunday breakfast party had quickly turned to bickering, which had turned into yelling and screaming. They had all known each other for what seemed like a lifetime, the result of that seemed to be that they knew exactly what to say in order to draw blood. Gerta was irresponsible, erratic, impulsive and acting stupidly regarding her future. Helene was conservative, manipulative, judgmental, and needed to keep her issues with her Father to herself. Kat was cold, secretive, obsessive and prone to theatrics. They had picked each other apart at length as the meal had sat forgotten untouched and the younger women in the room had watched in horror at what was unfolding before they fled. Several years’ worth of anger and frustration had come up during that argument and Helene couldn’t help but noticing that after an unknown period of time Kat had left the conversation and was sitting there as a bundle of pure misery. It was just Helene and Gerta fighting over Gerta’s personal choices.

It was understandable to a degree. Helene would be turning twenty-seven in a few months, Gerta had turned twenty-six the previous March and Kat had turned twenty-five earlier this month in a birthday that had gone mostly uncelebrated as Kat had fallen deeper into depression. They were no longer children, but the question had been increasingly running through Helene’s mind about how much longer their friendship could endure because they had grown up into three very different people. Gerta had always brushed Helene’s concerns aside, saying that they had always been very different people. Now Gerta was furious with Helene and Helene didn’t know if the relationship would survive this latest rupture. Things had finally been broken up when two men from the First Foot had arrived because the Empress had requested Kat’s presence.

Helene had managed to keep together all the way home, but she had fallen apart as soon as she closed the door. It had been Hans and Manfred there alone in the house when Helene got there. Hans had given the nanny the afternoon off while he and Manfred watched Football on television. The National Team had made a disappointing showing the previous year and 1950 was right around the corner, the World Cup was theirs if they just applied themselves. There was also the matter of the hated rival team based on the other side of Berlin. Helene couldn't make much sense of that whole thing. Hans opinion was that one was never too young to learn these things and you never knew who would be on the National Team in 1966. Hans had turned off the TV as soon as he saw Helene come in and she had spent the next hour crying on his shoulder. Eventually Hans had said that he’d see what he could do to fix this situation. Helene was glad that he understood but couldn’t possibly think of anything that he could do to make this right.

Potsdam

“It’s time we talked” Kira said, not mentioning Kat’s present attire. An old sweater, trousers cut off just above the knees, both equally tattered, American style shoes made from canvas and rubber, no socks. There had long been rumors about what Kat wore when she absolutely did not care about her appearance and was in the midst of one of her episodes of depression. To see it, and here of all places, was something completely different. “You were supposed to give me a recommendation for your replacement as Kammerfräulein, but you never did.”

“Sorry, Ma’am” Kat mumbled, “Everything is falling apart.” She still stood there as protocol demanded but tears started steaming down her face.

“The Gräfin and her friends were in the middle of a real row when we got there” The Feldwebel who had been sent for Kat said, “We just grabbed her and got out of there.”

“I see” Kira said, “You’re dismissed and clear the room.”

Kat was hardly aware of the fact that the room was being emptied around her. Kira led her over towards one of the tables and sat her down.

“Mind telling me what’s going on?” Kira asked.

“Gerta is being an idiot” Kat said, “She’s making some stupid decisions and we haven’t been able talk sense to her.”

“Just how stupid are we talking about here?” Kira asked.

“She’s pregnant and she thinks that she needs no one else in her life” Kat replied, “It’s going to be a total disaster.”

Kira shook her head, “The days when we could have ordered someone to make better choices are long past” She said, “And there have been revolutions over monarchs having that sort of power.”

It was something that Kat had never heard Kira mention before but the fate of the Romanov family and the various directions that things could have gone in 1921 must weigh heavily on her. Her entire life had been upended by the Russian revolution. Sending her into exile when she was just a child.

“I’m sorry” Kat said, “It’s a personal problem, beneath your concern.”

“I think I can decide what concerns me, and learning that Lagertha von Wolvogle is making a frivolous decision that will affect the rest of her life is not exactly a surprise. I’ve seen her do that sort of thing regularly since she was a little girl” Kira replied, “Now about the recommendation for Kammerfräulein.”

Kat was left blinking by the conversation’s sudden change in direction. She had not thought at all about the role that Kira was talking about. Now that Kat was married she couldn’t be the most senior of the Maids of the Court of the Empress though it was a bit laughable that she ever was.

“Gianna as Gianna Strobel, she’s earned it” Kat said, “Elisabeth Tritten should be introduced to the Court as my sister.”

“This Elisabeth really is your sister?” Kira asked.

“We both have the same father” Kat said, “And this starts to make up for some of the wrongs that have been done to her.”

“I see” Kira said, though Kat could tell that she didn’t really.

“I shouldn’t be here” Kat said, “The investigation, I present a problem for you.”

Kira waved that away, “Small men playing cloak and dagger who couldn’t be bothered to pick up a phone” She said, “It’s not the first time they’ve thrown you out and it matters as much now as it did then.”

“What did you do?” Kat asked suddenly filled with apprehension.

“I had an enjoyable conversation with the Duchess of York” Kira said, “She put me in touch with Malcolm Blackwood while he was still in London last week. He made it clear that you ran circles around his people last year. He would like to have been able to recruit you to improve his service, but you were out of his league.”

“And you would just take his word for it?” Kat asked.

“Once you hear a man grudgingly say that he failed at something you know what it sounds like” Kira replied, “The investigation was just a formality.”

“Then why the silence?” Kat asked.

“To keep up the appearance of being impartial.”

Last edited:
I like Kira.

She is very much the other mother figure in Kat's life, and very much the mentor she needs. Besides her aunt, and besides Maria, of course.