So The American President is starting a less bloody version of Stalin’s purges?

Getting sacked is a bit different from the Soviet version which involves a nice long vacation in scenic wintry Siberia, if the individual involved was lucky. A bullet to the back to the head if they weren't.

So Kat and Hans have a half-sister?

They have several, mentioned in a previous chapter, whom their father doesn’t like to talk about.

Speaking of infidelity, is Walter Holz Emil’s biological son? I swear there was an implication that Maria had gotten with Soren while Emil was away, and that happened around the time that Walter was conceived. Am I terrible at reading, or did that actually happen?

Speaking of infidelity, is Walter Holz Emil’s biological son? I swear there was an implication that Maria had gotten with Soren while Emil was away, and that happened around the time that Walter was conceived. Am I terrible at reading, or did that actually happen?

Maria was with Emil in the Russian Far East until he sent her away right before the Japanese collectively stuck their thumb into a light socket. She was on her way back home when she started to notice the effects of that.

I think that after an initial episode of "shoot the messenger", OSS and ONI will be able to show that they weren't significantly penetrated and indeed were able to uncover the situation. But the FBI? As Lord Palmerston said in another context "from the shield of Ajax they have become the heel of Achilles " . I would expect to see them being broken up into four or five separate agencies. Probably a Federal Policing Agency that acts as a domestic Interpol and chases interstate criminals, a Federal Bureau of Audit and Investigation which goes after crooked banks and (very ) corrupt city and state administrations - the ones that are totally ripping the ass out of it, an organised crime agency, a narcotics agency and (as OTL) alcohol, firearms and tobacco (BAFTA may mean something very different TTL). A new counter espionage agency might be set up but good practice would suggest that no-one from the old FBI would be allowed into it. If they haven't already had their suicide or fatal car crash a couple of victims of Hoover 's ego like Ness and Purvis may end up making comebacks as clean new heads of some of the crime agencies.

So, will we see a lot of Fed's sent to Alaska to take a census of the local wildlife population, you know, the PC version of hard labor in Siberia?

Part 45, Chapter 594
Chapter Five Hundred Ninety-Four

28th April 1947

Berlin

Peter Holz was pleasantly surprised when Doctor Tangeman approached him and said that she had stumbled across some information regarding Kat von Mischner’s family that she would probably be reticent to talk about, but it struck Peter as being substantial enough that it was something that needed to be dealt with. It was only a matter of getting Kat’s permission for Tangeman to be present during her normal session. Kat was understandably wary, but she had consented.

“Tell me about Ilse Tritten” Tangeman said.

Kat’s face immediately took on the look that said that it was something that she really didn’t want to talk about. “What about her?” Kat asked in reply, but the tone of her voice suggested that she really wanted to tell Tangeman something else.

“She was here helping with your brother and his wife last week” Tangeman said, “I couldn’t help but noticing the resemblance. I’m her Doctor as well and the medical records that paint a very convincing picture.”

That was something that Peter had occasionally talked with Kat about. Apparently, her father had gotten around and Kat herself had taken on the obligation to her siblings in a way that he never had. Peter had also heard about Ilse as being one of the orphans that Kat had been training, going so far as taking in a couple of them into her own house. Tangeman was suggesting that Ilse was Kat’s half-sister.

“She doesn’t know that Otto is her father” Kat said, “She was abandoned and grew up a ward of the State. How do you think it’s going over if she finds out that she had family just a few kilometers away and they never claimed her? That we had never cared?”

“You’ve had her under your roof for a while now” Tangeman replied, “Don’t you think that counts for something?”

“She was recruited to be a decoy for Jehane” Kat replied, “I can’t afford to show favoritism.”

Peter had known Kat for years and there was one thing that was certainly true. “You didn’t realize that she was your sister, otherwise you never would have accepted her for training in the first place” He said.

Kat sat there her teeth clenched for a long moment, staring at Peter, her eyes showing her outrage that he’d even said that. So, the Tigress of Pankow makes mistakes just like any other human being, Peter thought to himself.

“Is that true?” Tangeman asked.

“Yes” Kat spat, “I was going for young women who matched Jehane’s description and there just aren’t very many, Ilse was one of them. Marcella also thinks that it’s why I felt an instant connection with Jehane, it’s what she sort of looks like.”

“Who is this Jehane and what does she look like?” Tangeman asked, “I take it she is of medium height with dark hair, blue eyes.”

“That’s not my secret to share” Kat said looking to Peter.

“Jehane was until recently the heir to the Russian throne” Peter said, “Kat is responsible for her personal safety, has been for years.”

To Tangeman that was a surprise. Kat had not mentioned that, even when hit with tough questioning while in a chemically altered state. That was either impressive or disturbing depending on one’s perspective.

“How did you figure it out?” Tangeman asked.

“It was after I took the final six in for a medical check on the way home I took them to a fun fair” Kat said, “Ilse and Gia were messing with the funhouse mirrors and I saw what you must have. The next day I found out we share the same rare blood type which basically confirmed it.”

“Why didn’t you cut her then?” Peter asked. Kat had been through training in Judenbach where the training Officers didn’t have to give a reason why they were cutting someone from the program. Those were the same rules she still played by.

“She had been working hard and deserved the chance to prove herself” Kat said, “If I had cut her, it would have devastated her.”

“That suggests that you allowed your choices to be effected by sentiment” Peter said.

Again, Kat sat there in silent anger. She had made what could be construed as a mistake but for very human reasons. She had wanted her sister to be given a chance to prove herself and as she had said, she’d not played favorites.

“You know that you’ll need to tell her” Tangeman said.

“Why?” Kat asked, she was still angry about having her choices questioned. “That will not make her happy.”

“Ilse didn’t strike me as a stupid girl” Tangeman said, “She going to figure it out eventually and she deserves to know the truth.”

“As I’ve said before, she was abandoned” Kat said, “That includes my immediate family.”

“But not you” Peter said, “And it’s going to be worse if she learns it from someone else. Have you given any thought about what will happen if she encounters Otto?”

“My father has no business being around my house” Kat replied.

“I’m sure he understands that” Peter said, “While he’s sober, but when he’s not…”

Peter had just described one of Kat’s worst imagined scenarios. Otto Mischner coming around her house while blackout drunk. That had not happened yet but if Otto forced her to choose between protecting those she felt responsible for and him, he would lose.

Peter had just described one of Kat’s worst imagined scenarios. Otto Mischner coming around her house while blackout drunk. That had not happened yet but if Otto forced her to choose between protecting those she felt responsible for and him, he would lose.

Well, at least we know what is going to happen in the futre.....

While looking up about Pankow, I find it interesting that Peabody-Martini has two of his main characters come from places that in real life would have been part of East Germany, Emil Holz from Jena and Kat from Pankow.

While looking up about Pankow, I find it interesting that Peabody-Martini has two of his main characters come from places that in real life would have been part of East Germany, Emil Holz from Jena and Kat from Pankow.

It's what can happen if you drop a pencil on a map. Jacob is from Bremen, Horst is from Strasbourg, Gerta is from Werder, just to name a few.

Last edited:
It's what can happen if you drop a pencil on a map. Jacob is from Bremen, Horst is from Strasbourg, Gerta is from Werder, just to name a few.
I think it was more than a "pencil drop" The University of Jena in the 1920's was a hot bed of left wing student activism and Pankow was where the elite of the SED (the forced merger in East Germany of the KPD and the SPD) lived. This I think is more of a case of masterful research.

Part 45 Chapter 595
Chapter Five Hundred Ninety-Five

29th May 1947

Potsdam

Gianna was happy that Kat and Oberstaber Schafer had asked for her help. As they were preparing for the trip abroad Crown Prince Friedrich presented a problem. Freddy was given a choice between having Kat hold his hand for the entire time or learning a bit of discipline. Interestingly, that involved teaching an extremely sheltered eight-year-old how to fight. That presented a problem for Kat and Schafer in that they had turned hand to hand combat into a lethal art form, something that years of training made difficult to turn down. Gia however, lacked that killer instinct, something that made her a good instructor for Freddy. There were also other considerations, like Kira being aware of Gianna real social rank.

Gianna didn’t know if she should feel complimented or an insulted by that. Today, she was showing Freddy the basics at Kat’s instruction. The boy was extremely enthusiastic about what he was learning. But then what boy didn’t find the idea of hitting people interesting? He was also learning the other half of it, getting hit in turn.

This was a welcome distraction from the drama at home. A few weeks earlier Helene and Hans had come up for dinner and everyone had an enjoyable time. It was what came next that had blown everything apart. Kat and Hans had sat Ilse down and told her that she was one of several unacknowledged children of Otto Mischner that they were aware of. In an instant Ilse had gone from being an orphan to being a part of a large but very strange family. Kat had known for months but hadn’t said anything because she’d known that it would not have brought Ilse any happiness.

Gianna had sat there watching Ilse gaping like a fish for several minutes, completely shocked by that turn of events. Of all the things that Ilse had imagined led up to her abandonment the idea that her biological father simply had not given a shit had never once crossed her mind. Particularly if it was someone like Otto Mischner. Kat and Hans acted strange whenever the subject came up, to his legitimate children he was a source of both protection and menace. To the others, they hardly knew who he was.

“Wrap this up Gia, we’re done for the day” Kat said as she walked back into the room.

Gianna had not noticed that Kat had even left. She also noticed that Kat was calm and focused. That meant that a crisis was happening somewhere that she needed to handle.

“Something going on?” Gianna asked as she looked to Schafer.

“I got this” The Oberstaber said as he took charge of Freddy, “You two need to go now, I’m sure that Katze will explain in the car.”

Something about the way that Schafer said that suggested that the last part was a suggestion for Kat. Hopefully she would take it because Gianna hated it when Kat left her in the dark as things happened around them.

Berlin

Helene was having the best day she’d had in weeks which was entirely understandable considering her circumstances. She had come to Berlin to accept the congratulations of one of her Professors who also happened to be her academic advisor. Her thesis had been accepted which meant that she had met the requirements to receive a diploma. Sure, figuring out what to do with an Arts Degree would prove a challenge, but she had the rest of her life for that. Her options for celebrating were understandably limited, which was obnoxious. Part of the problem that came with looking and feeling like a beached whale.

“Congratulations” The elderly Professor said, “And I wish you luck with your future endeavor.” He was obviously referring to her state of advanced pregnancy. The old Professor probably longed for the days when women were very few and far between in his classes. Back then the idea of a pregnant student would have been simply unthinkable. During the war, classes with most of the students being women had become the new normal. After the war things had obviously not gone back to the way it had been before. This man, and those like him, had been forced to accept that.

“Thank you for that, Doctor” Helene said.

“Have you given any thought to further education?” The Professor asked.

“I have Nina Sjostedt trying to recruit me to enter the teaching field” Helene said, “That would require me go back to school, not next term obviously, but next year. I’ve not made up my mind.”

“That is a rewarding career if you choose it” The Professor said, “I’m familiar with Freifrau von Horst, she is an excellent mentor.”

That was something that Helene hadn’t considered.

“What classes would I need to take?” Helene asked.

“Childhood development, definitely” The Professor said, “But it’s an apprenticeship like any other skilled trade. You would need to apply for it but with your personal connections and history that probably would be a formality.”

Helene understood what that meant. She was a decorated veteran from her time in the Woman’s Auxiliary Corps herself. She was also the daughter of a Field Marshal and the wife of a highly decorated Officer. Those were all things that Helene was perfectly willing exploit to the fullest.

“That’s just one of many possibilities that I’m exploring, Doctor” Helene replied, “Something that I going to have plenty of time to do over the next several weeks while I’m waiting for…”

Helene was interrupted mid-sentence when a painful cramp rolled through her. That was bad, this was too soon…

“Are you alright?” The Professor asked.

“You know Erma Tangeman?” Helene gasped.

“Yes” The Professor said looking extremely concerned, “I know Doctor Tangeman.”

“You need to… call her, please…” Helene managed to say.

Oh bugger. Premature baby, not good, not good at all.

A couple of weeks only, if I recall the sequence right, which isn't really a major problem, adn I don't think that it was then, at least with first rate medical care.

Speaking of medical care, what's the state of healthcare for the general population of Germany at the time?

A couple of weeks only, if I recall the sequence right, which isn't really a major problem, adn I don't think that it was then, at least with first rate medical care.

Speaking of medical care, what's the state of healthcare for the general population of Germany at the time?

A couple of weeks early is well with the normal range because determining a due date is just a guess even today. A month early is cause for some concern, two months is serious, a three-month preemie (like me in 1948) is quite serious.

AFAIK the healthcare level for the German population is first rate - remember this is state-supported for everyone. Helene has leaders in their fields available, though.

FBKampfer

Banned
Kat and Hans may have played that poorly. After all, they weren't aware of who specifically their relatives were. And I'm sure his family remained deliberately ignorant of who papa Otto was spreading it around with.

It wouldn't be entirely untrue to go the whole "oh my god we're family!!" route. As long as the acceptance never went away, she'd likely have been perfectly content. And if they care enough to bring her up to speed, then they care enough to spare her knowledge of their own indecision.