I could see Skorzeny either in the French Foreign Legion or working as a mercenary alongside people like Mike Hoare and Bob Denard. Maybe both?

A lot of the OTL nazis had better, or worse fates....,come to think of it don't know what yu can count as better.

Anyway, Hitler is armless and legless and insane.
Goering is hyped up on drugs but ok.
Heydrich is a dead prison guard.
Himmler froze or burned to death in a train cabin (or was that Goebbles?)
Ribbentrop is still Ribbentropp'ing
Albert Spear has defected, unfortunately.
Martin Bormann is dead somewhere, I think.
Wilhelm Keitel thought he could launch a coup...
Ernst Rohm is the ambassador to Argentina,

Erich Raeder has retired as Grand Admiral, and Erwin Rommel is "bromancing" it up with Gudenstein.

Who esle is there?
Gudenstein?

Part 45, Chapter 486
Chapter Five Hundred Eighty-Six

24th January 1947

Berlin

Maria was listening to the young man who had come to her office, his name was Rudolf Augstein and his presence was a direct result, or what Maria was starting to consider a consequence, of the articles that had run in December. For Maria they had been all about exposing the truth. The problem was that in the weeks since then the story hadn’t ended with the trial in Dublin. There was an expanding circle of stories in Ireland that was now spreading into England, France and Germany revolving around clerical abuse, and it wasn’t just confined to the Catholic Church. The first story had been bad, but after the second and third stories had run it had snowballed. Years of silence, misery, financial and sexual exploitation was coming out. Powerful institutions had victimized those they were pledged to protect. Now it was all coming out at once and Maria realized that they were reaping the whirlwind.

Augstein was here because he thought that Maria was a kindred soul, a fellow traveler in radical politics. Maria knew that she didn’t share his beliefs but knew better than to say it aloud. Not that she wasn’t intrigued by what he had in mind. He was discussing starting a magazine that would focus on investigative journalism. In theory the yet unnamed magazine would be an offshoot of the BT but would be editorially independent. Maria herself lacked the authority to make this happen but her say-so would go a long way with the Editor-in-Chief and the Owners. Those were the reasons why Augstein was talking with Maria.

For Maria on the other hand, it was a question as to how much farther she was willing to stick out her neck. The editorial decisions she’d already made had caused more than a few eyebrows to be raised within the professional circles that Emil worked within. Emil, had taken it all in stride. “Among the old guard that survived the last war I’ve always be considered a revolutionary” He had said, “The fact that I’ve a fearless wife with an interesting career to talk about with is more important than their opinions.” It was just like Emil to say the perfect thing, but Maria knew that when he did that it was because it was what he had planned to say if asked.

26th January 1947

Kat was nervous as she stepped into the Court of the Empress. It was the first time she’d been here since she’d found herself caught up in the Irish mess.

“I’m terribly sorry about what happened, your Highness” Kat said.

“You put me in an impossible situation Katherine” Kira said, “You took a terrible chance and possibly destabilized a friendly Nation’s Government but it’s looking like it may have been the right thing to have done despite all the trouble you’ve caused. And if I kept you away until this mess gets completely resolved one of my trusted advisors will be gone for years.”

“Thank you, Ma’am” Kat said keeping her eyes downcast. “For inviting me back.”

“Don’t thank me yet” Kira snapped

“Don’t thank me” Kira snapped, “If you ever pull another stunt like this it will be strongly suggested that you start a new extremely quiet life overseas. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Do you have anything else to say for yourself?” Kira asked.

Kat had to think for a minute about what she might say. She didn’t regret the role she’d played in this matter. Kira would not want to hear that. She was going to want to hear genuine repentance on Kat’s part and it was probably going to take months before she allowed Kat a free hand again.

“My intended said that it wasn’t all bad” Kat said, “We could get married this Spring and not have it be a big production. Civil ceremony followed by a small reception…”

Kira looked at Kat like she’d said something incredibly stupid. “Dear God, Katherine” She said, “For someone normally so sensible, you have absolutely no head for politics or perceptions.”

“Excuse me?”

“If one of the Ladies of my Court did that it would invite speculation and scandal, particularly you” Kira said, “They would assume that there is a reason why you are going for quick and small. There isn’t a reason is there?”

Kira was giving Kat a look when she had said that last part that let Kat know exactly how she would be when her daughters were older.

Kat could feel her cheeks burning as she stammered out, “No, there isn’t a reason” without elaborating exactly why she knew that.

“Good” Kira replied, “Now what arrangements have you made to do this right?”

“Not very many” Kat mumbled, she wasn’t pleased with that answer, but it was the reality of the situation. “Douglas and I are extremely busy.”

“Then why didn’t you ask for help?” Kira asked, brightening as the conversation changed.

“It never occurred to me.”

“Really” Kira was surprised by that answer. “Why ever not?”

Because Kat had never thought she’d live this long, or even if she did, never in a thousand years thought that marriage was a possibility. Kat just shrugged.

“We have people for that” Kira said, “And you don’t honestly think that Louis and I would look good if we showed up at a reception at a dance hall in Heinersdorf catered by a tavern your family owns.”

Was Kat so predictable that even the Empress could have guessed what her plans were?

Last edited:
Actually that kind of reception would be something that would endure the Kaiser and Empress to the working class people of Berlin if they showed up.
It would show that everyone no matter what the circumstances of their birth can aspire to and earn a status that before was closed off to them before the March Revolution.

While there should be an air of grandeur with royalty, there are sometimes that royalty do need to show they have the "Common Touch" and the Empress has expressed to Kat that she wanted to experience something like that.

FBKampfer

Banned
Kat's getting hitched, the kids from Souville have taken the lead and are aging out of the frontline action, and the new generation has stepped up to fill their places, and now even having children of their own.

The US is catching up, and the Empires of Europe are entering their decline. Perhaps the 21st Century might be the American Century, but the 20th is undoubtedly the German Century. Though not complete, they've secured a hard-won peace for quite some time.

Old wounds are being aired out, time clips on, and PM's publishing it.

He's definitely wrapping things up, the bastard.

Kat's getting hitched, the kids from Souville have taken the lead and are aging out of the frontline action, and the new generation has stepped up to fill their places, and now even having children of their own.

The US is catching up, and the Empires of Europe are entering their decline. Perhaps the 21st Century might be the American Century, but the 20th is undoubtedly the German Century. Though not complete, they've secured a hard-won peace for quite some time.

Old wounds are being aired out, time clips on, and PM's publishing it.

He's definitely wrapping things up, the bastard.

Democracies becoming the norm in the 21st instead of the 20th is an interesting butterfly.

Democracies becoming the norm in the 21st instead of the 20th is an interesting butterfly.

Constitutional monarchies with elected assemblies making the laws and the government is democratic - even if some people retain some formal influence by birthright.

IMHO, a Constitutional Monarchy has a bit of an advantage in that the monarch performs the ceremonial duties which allows the chief executive to concentrate on governing.

For Nancy, that wedding was probably one of the last things she did before returning to Washington State. Her time as a visiting scholar in Berlin would be over. Then it would be back to sharing a room with boring Beatrice and listening to her complain about the weather. She had never considered Seattle to be a provincial backwater when she had lived there. Compared to Berlin, which sat at the great crossroads of Europe and was the terminus of rail lines that stretched all the way across Asia to the Pacific that was what Seattle was. Would she be able to settle back into her life there? Or would she be like her friends here in Berlin who had found the thought of boring, ordinary lives to be something to joke about?

The first time she visits her gynecologist she'll realize how much a provincial backwater the US is when she finds out that contraception is illegal. Actually, just discussing such things might be illegal. Yes, really.