Part 44, Chapter 580
Chapter Five Hundred Eighty

28th November 1946

Dublin, Ireland

The small package had arrived in the law offices addressed to John F. Kennedy, no return address. Apparently, it had arrived during the night.

“During the troubles one might think you were fixing to get us blown to kingdom come” Andrew O’Neal, one of the other Associates said with a smile. There had been several letter bombs around here two decades earlier.

Jack ignored Andy as he cut the tape holding the package closed he saw that there were two sealed envelopes. One thin, of anonymous white stationary and the other was a manila envelope of the sort that photographs were sent in. The white envelope simply had Jack written on it. He knew who it was from. While her name was not in the papers it was obvious to Jack that she was at the center of this matter. There had been an uproar as the young woman who had briefly been Jack’s client had vanished from Kilmainham after a fire only to turn up a couple days later in the German Imperial Court asking for asylum from persecution and had been granted it temporarily until the matter could be sorted out. This had been a major thumb in the eye of both the Irish State and the Church. In a case of go figure, the British had not been this happy with the Germans since the day that Kaiser Wilhelm the Second had abdicated. Fortunately, the police had eliminated Jack as an involved party quickly when he had explained that he, like everyone else, had just wanted the case to go away. That was the truth, to an extent.

“What’s her name?” Andy asked.

“Who” Jack asked.

“The person who sent that package?”

“It’s from an investigator I’ve worked with in the past” Jack said, “And what gives you the idea that it’s a woman?”

“Because” Andy said with a smirk. Jack just shook his head in annoyance as he opened the white letter and started to read. Andy would never understand the reality of the Gräfin Katherine.

Dear Jack

I hope this letter finds you well. The individual who you suggested that I look after once I had completed the requested investigation is present as I write this. This investigation was much to my regular employer’s extreme displeasure resulting in me being asked to take a leave of absence from my job for the foreseeable future. My intended has said that this is really an opportunity as my exile may enable us to get married this spring without it being too large of a social event, something that would suit both of us.

It is my deepest regret that the package that you had said was in Galway was no longer present when I arrived. It turns out that is an Irish story after all. I am aware that this will come as devastating news for the client when I break it to them. Enclosed in the other envelope are photographs of the documents in question, as well photographs of what I found in Tuam and a map of where the other missing packages are to be found. It’s up to you on how, or if, you want to pursue this matter.

Sincerely K.

P.S. You won’t ever ask me to do anything like this again if you value your health and wellbeing.

It turns out that this is an Irish story after all, Jack shook his head when he read that. Kat was right that Sibéal would be devastated when she received that news. Other packages were mentioned, Jack had feared that this was a massive can of worms.

Jack glanced up in time to see Andy snatch up the other envelope and was opening it. “All the lads know you’re a lady’s man Jack” Andy said with a laugh, “You are getting mysterious packages from women. Just how naughty are these anyway?”

“That isn’t what you think it is” Jack said. Only to watch as Andy went deathly pale when he saw the photographs that Jack wished he’d a chance to see first. He hoped that he could keep Andy from blabbing all over the office whatever it was that Kat had taken photographs of.

“Sweet Mother of Jesus, what sort of absolute bloody shite are you mixed up in Jack?” Andy asked in a shocked and appalled voice.

“I’d like to know, because I’ve not seen those yet” Jack said as he pried the envelope with the photographs out of Andy’s hands, “The woman it question is the investigator I asked to look into certain matters and is the possibly the best there is. Unearthing the truth about bloody shite is what she does.”

It took only a glance at the photographs to understand Andy’s reaction. It also explained Kat’s threatening postscript.

Washington D.C.

The road west was clear as Richard Nixon drove out of Washington. It had been during the last few days that he’d learned just how deep the shit that he and Martin King had been in was. They had left only minutes ahead of the local police. Only a few people at very top of the American Civil Liberties Union knew about Imperial Shipping and it was regarded as an absolute last resort. It was a front company for a German intelligence agency and if word ever got out that the ACLU had any dealings with them, then they would be through. They would be lucky only to spend the rest of their lives in prison. Nixon didn’t need to be told twice that he should never mention any of that to anyone.

Nixon had been encouraged to go home to California to lay low and let all this blow over. He was due for a break anyway and to the ACLU he’d made a name for himself as someone who’d do what needed to be done. He’d been told that they would support him regardless of whether or not he chose to remain with them. It had been a clear hint, they might as well have said “You’ve done your bit, now go do something else.” That actually seemed like a good proposition.

Besides that, he’d be home for the holidays this year. The future was looking bright indeed.

Last edited:
Kira may have to hold back channel discussions with the Catholic bishops in Germany to diffuse the potential embarrassment of the Empress own personal hand maiden (Kat) interfering with "Internal Church Matters" and violating Irish sovereignty.
The best short term outcome is that everything is swept under the rug with informal pledges by the Church in Ireland and the Irish government to "Look into things and see if there is any truth to these allegations" .
But the wildcard in this is Jack going to go along with any such agreements or will he find his purpose in life by exposing these abuses?

No matter what the agreements are, I suspect that, since the rape and pedophilia is more than a single isolated incident, there will be quiet investigations in Germany to find out if similar things are going on.

Worst thing for the church: Jack ends up very dead. If that happens, I suspect that there will be investigations...

Let us say goodbye and farewell to Kat, who is never appearing again in this timeline... yeah right, there is a storm brewing and guess who is going to be in the middle of it?
We all must remember who is writing this timeline and this is the reason why we all keep coming back for more.

Last edited:
Well, he's a lawyer. Time to try to break into the lucrative movie star divorce racket:cool:.

And after being involved in Hollywood for too long, Nixon becomes an actor, then becomes governor of California, then President. Ah! Nixon pulls a Reagan of this ATL.

Let us say goodbye and farewell to Kat, who is never appearing again in this timeline... yeah right, there is a storm brewing and guess who is going to be in the middle of it?
We all must remember who is writing this timeline and this is the reason why we all keep coming back for more.

Well, the original POV was Emil, which switched to Kat......be funny if the next main POV we see is Freddy, the Imperial Prince.:p Or else its Helene's and Han's kid.;)

And after being involved in Hollywood for too long, Nixon becomes an actor, then becomes governor of California, then President. Ah! Nixon pulls a Reagan of this ATL.

Well, the original POV was Emil, which switched to Kat......be funny if the next main POV we see is Freddy, the Imperial Prince.:p Or else its Helene's and Han's kid.;)

Oh, let it be Freddy, the High Octane Prince whose Tante Katze tries to rein him in.:cool:

"No, Freddy, you can't drive your Luftpanzer off the grounds."

"Yes, Freddy, I'll take you parachute jumping when you're older."

"Freddy, a ghillie suit isn't proper dress for a formal dinner."

Md139115

Banned

Oh, let it be Freddy, the High Octane Prince whose Tante Katze tries to rein him in.:cool:

"No, Freddy, you can't drive your Luftpanzer off the grounds."

"Yes, Freddy, I'll take you parachute jumping when you're older."

"Freddy, a ghillie suit isn't proper dress for a formal dinner."

There’s never been a single POV in this story. Even when it was the first generation, the story concentrated as much if not more on Jacob as it did Emil. In fact, during Jacob’s time in the Abwehr, he dominated the story almost as much as Kat does now.

The truth is that our esteemed writer is writing what he wants to write, and he wants to write German secret agents scaring the ****** out of people a lot more than our beloved everyman son of an Erfurt optician ascending through the ranks of the Luftwaffe.

I must admit. It certainly was an original way of getting a sabbatical for Kat.

Methinks that everyone in the BND was either cursing or chuckling to her last stunt. For one side a helluva of headaches to the diplomats. For the other, the British Government, Press AND Church, SPECIALLY in the Ulster must have been positively FESTIVE with the shit hitting the fan about the dirty laundry of the Catholic Irish Church AND the Eire government...

I kinda wonder how the NAACP came to know about the Abwehr Smuggling Corporation.
Garza azul = Little Blue Heron

It's playing with fire is what it is. If it gets out that the NAACP is working with Abwehr to smuggle out dissidents then they are done. They will be labeled as a foreign espionage ring and all their members will be rounded up and thrown in jail. Oh, violating your Constitutional rights? Too bad you violated the Espionage Act so that means you don't have any rights any more. The Southern Democrats will forever label all Civil Rights activists as traitors and German puppets. In OTL Hoover was wiretapping MLK and all the other Civil Rights leaders because he thought they were in league with the Soviets. They weren't so all that came of it is another stain on the FBI's record (by then I don't think J Edgar's could get much worse). Now though there is real evidence out there waiting to be found that the NAACP has contacts with a foreign rival (some would consider them an enemy). This is bad and will set the Civil Rights movement back several decades at least.

I agree with all of that. IF this is a one-off AND the FBI wasn't wiretapping the NAACP AND Martin King disappears to Argentina they MAY get away with it. We'll have to see where our esteemed Peabody-Martini takes this.

Edit: And TTL's Richard Nixon has big brass ones.

Okay, I think I know how the ACLU knew about the Abwehr Smuggling Corporation. I don't think the Abwehr targeted the ACLU for infiltration because it's too high-profile and makes waves and attracts attention, not something that intelligence operations go after. I think that a couple of the Abwehr's young men decided to go to the ACLU instead of the FBI or OSS or the State Department because it was the Right Thing to Do. They remembered where they came from, though, and reached out as a last resort. Kinda admirable, but still dangerous as hell.

Edit: Nixon worked for the ACLU, not the NAACP.

Last edited:
Part 44, Chapter 581
Chapter Five Hundred Eighty-One

29th November 1946

Berlin

It was a day of profound highs and lows. Gianna had found out that her cousin’s wife Lidiya had given birth to a boy. All of Russia was celebrating the birth of Prince Michael as the new Tsarevich. Unknown to them Jehane Thomas-Romanova was celebrating the fact that she was no longer the heir to the Russian throne, which felt like a thousand-pound weight had been removed from her shoulders. She had never wanted to play that role. Her highest hope was that she would be further and further removed from the throne until the name Jehane was nothing more than a curious footnote in history. Gianna had been planning on celebrating with Kat, who was the only person might understand when Kat had told her that it wasn’t a good time.

Sibéal was sitting at the kitchen table looking as if someone had just ripped her heart out with Kat and Erma Tangeman who Kat had called in to help. Kat had brought the Irish girl around and said that she needed a place to go while she sorted some things out. Gianna would latter learn that Sibéal had left behind a whole mess of legal trouble in Ireland. Over the last few days she had started to act as if things were finally getting better for her. She had mentioned to Gianna how wonderful this house was because no judged anyone here, then she had mentioned something in passing that perhaps her Aiden could come and live here. It had turn out to be a fantasy as Gianna would learn, Aiden was her son and he had died months earlier of an unknown illness and what Kat would only describe as neglect.

Kat had learned of that a couple days before but had no idea how to tell Sibéal what had happened. She had called in Doctor Tangeman to help.

“It’s my fault” Sibéal moaned, “If I hadn’t left him.”

“They didn’t give you any say in the matter” Kat said, but Sibéal wasn’t listening. She was moaning about how she was being punished. Gianna was horrified to see that she was escalating, after a few minutes the screaming started. Kat nodded to Tangeman who was doing something with her hands out of Sibéal’s sight. Kat leaped over to Sibéal and pinned her arms to her side and bent her over the table. Tangeman was moving by then as she lifted Sibéal’s skirt and injected her with something from a syringe. Sibéal had a look of shock and betrayal on her face as that happened. Kat and Tangeman had planned on doing this before they had told Sibéal what had happened. The two of them held Sibéal up between them as the strength was already going out of her legs.

“If you could help us?” Kat asked Gianna as they took Sibéal into the studio and laid her down on the floor. They had put a blanket over her in an effort to make her as comfortable as possible.

Tangeman sighed in frustration, “I hate seeing this” She said, “She’s going to keep blaming herself when she wakes up, hopefully by then she will have regained some control. She’s going to be completely inconsolable for the next few days.”

“Why?” Gianna asked, “It wasn’t her fault.”

“Guilt mostly” Tangeman said, “Her whole life she’s had that beaten into her and not given any say in her life.”

“I know what that’s like” Gianna replied.

“No, you don’t” Tangeman said, “Katherine and her Aunt have given you a whole lot of say in your life Gia, they did it because you showed that you were capable of that responsibility. Sibéal was treated like a child, sent contradictory and misguided messages and kept ignorant deliberately. You have no idea.”

That was one way of looking at it. But then there was the big thing, Gianna’s identity, that Kat was always after her about. Reminding her not to expose herself unnecessarily… Then Gianna realized that was the only thing that Kat really was after her about and it was for her personal protection. The only thing that Marcella was ever after about was that she needed to finish school before she got into a serious relationship. It was not like she had any interest in relationships of any kind yet. She’d never met anyone who she could trust enough to share who her ancestors were with. She also looked with considerable envy at the relationship that Kat had with Douglas. The two of them were able to share everything with each other, that is, except her. Kat would have died before she broke Gianna’s confidence.

“I’ll stay with her” Gianna said.

Tangeman looked at Gianna in surprise, but to Gianna it made sense. Doctor Holz had once said that Kat gathered people to her that reminded her of herself on some level, frequently those who were who she might have become if things had gone differently. What would have happened if Kat had not taken Gianna home with her and she had grown up in the Imperial Court, a pawn of Romanov ambitions? Would she have ended up like Sibéal? Given none of the responsibilities but all the consequences of being an adult. Kat looked at Gianna with the slight smile she had when one of her girls did something right.

Kat and Tangeman went into the other room, Tangeman was talking about overcoming her own issues. Gianna looked at Sibéal’s still face, she was breathing evenly until she murmured something in a language that Gianna couldn’t understand. Another of Gräfin Katherine’s broken birds.

Last edited:
Okay, I think I know how the NAACP knew about the Abwehr Smuggling Corporation. I don't think the Abwehr targeted the NAACP for infiltration because it's too high-profile and makes waves and attracts attention, not something that intelligence operations go after. I think that a couple of the Abwehr's young men decided to go to the NAACP instead of the FBI or OSS or the State Department because it was the Right Thing to Do. They remembered where they came from, though, and reached out as a last resort. Kinda admirable, but still dangerous as hell.

Except it wasn't the NAACP. Nixon is working for the ACLU.

Methinks that everyone in the BND was either cursing or chuckling to her last stunt. For one side a helluva of headaches to the diplomats. For the other, the British Government, Press AND Church, SPECIALLY in the Ulster must have been positively FESTIVE with the shit hitting the fan about the dirty laundry of the Catholic Irish Church AND the Eire government...

Which is just what we need, the idiots in the Orange Order deciding to use this to commit more crap in the name of being "loyalist".

So we already know that Jack Kennedy was going to land in a World of shit. Who takes the murder case against the catholic Church in Ireland?

Which is just what we need, the idiots in the Orange Order deciding to use this to commit more crap in the name of being "loyalist".
Actually it will quieter them down a bit. They feed off the threat of a strong Catholic church and Irish state to Ulster unionists. Bit like American cold warriors, they don't do that well when the other lot are weak and discredited. Only Irish Taoseach who ever frightened Unionist leadership was Garret Fitzgerald. He was moderate, reasonable and frankly stated that the Republic was indeed a cold house for non Catholics and that constitutional reform was necessary to change that. Privately they all heaved huge sighs of relief when the more traditional bogeyman of Charlie Haughey resumed office.

Part 45, Chapter 582
Chapter Five Hundred Eighty-Two

30th November 1946

Berlin

“Just do it before I change my mind” Was hardly the sort of thing that had ever struck Doug as being particularly romantic. Unless he considered who that had been coming from.

Kat had come to him the night before clearly shaken about what she and Doctor Tangeman had needed to do once they had told Sibéal the truth about what had happened to her child. Kat had said that she was like the Irish girl in that she wasn’t in control of her life, she hadn’t been in a very long time and had asked Doug if he could help her with that. For Kat it wasn’t about sex, it was about no longer being ruled by fear.

Now, Doug had woken up in the early morning hours with Kat’s body pressed against his and he recalled the events of the night before. He knew that her only prior experience had been traumatizing and nearly killed her. He had done his best to be gentle and it had probably not been a particularly thrilling experience for her but nothing bad had happened. Afterwards, they had fallen asleep. He carefully extracted himself from his bed and quietly as possible started water boiling for the morning coffee. He noticed that Kat was watching him. Her hair was messy, and her eyes were still swollen from sleep.

“How do you put up with someone who’s such a mess?” Kat asked.

“It’s a balance” Doug said, “You are interesting and adventurous. I also happen to love you which almost makes up for the fact that you snore.”

“I don’t snore” Kat said defensively. Doug just snorted and shook his head. She had been sawing logs just minutes earlier. Doug just let that go as he made two cups of coffee. As Doug handed one of the cups to Kat she reached for it only to have the covers fall away from her upper body reminding her that she was naked. In panic she pulled the blankets to her chest.

“It’s nothing I haven’t seen a few different times now Kat” Doug said, and she paused realizing the truth of her situation and how silly she was being.

“Just… thank you” Kat said taking the cup from Doug, “About last night.”

“It’s fine” Doug said as he sat down on the bed next to Kat, “We used protection, you insisted.”

With that, Kat blushed to the roots of her hair. “That’s not what I meant, me just springing this on you.”

“We’re both adults and we’re engaged, Katherine” Doug said, “In Canada what we did might be frowned on, but here…” He just shrugged. It was not that it was socially excepted per say, but Kat didn’t exactly have a reputation to wreck and in the eyes of society they were basically already married, lacking only the formal aspect. “Besides that, do you feel that you’ve taken control of that aspect of your life?”

“This sort of thing is always a work in progress” Kat said.

“I’m always happy to help” Doug said solemnly, which caused Kat to hit him over the head with one of the pillows.

2nd December 1946

Dublin, Ireland

“I was recently contacted by my client” Jack said, “Sibéal said that she would be willing to return to Ireland and throw herself on the mercy of the Court if she were allowed to visit her child Aiden to ascertain whether or not he was being properly cared for.”

The fact that Jack knew that he was going against a powerful institution that he couldn’t very well accuse of what could well be murder. Kat had photographed records stating that Aiden O’Keefe had died in late October. It was probably better not to know exactly how she had gotten to those records, but it was better to play dumb until he knew exactly what the Church was intending to do about this. They had thought nothing of lying to Sibéal, from what Kat had discovered the fact that they viewed her and her child as nothing more than refuse was not just a metaphor. Just what regard they might have for Jack had yet to be seen but it seemed safer to let them paint themselves into a corner. They could admit that the child was dead, or they could continue to lie.

“While it’s good that Miss O’Keefe is willing to take responsibility” The Lawyer, an ordained Priest, who was representing the Church said, “Her seeing her child is not how things are done.”

“Give me one good reason why?” Jack said, “It’s not an unreasonable request.”

“We have to consider what’s good for both of them” The Priest said, “And there is a good reason for that, do you really think that either of them want the shame of their circumstances known in the future?”

That was it then. The Church was going to continue to hide behind religious dogma to cover for their own sins. Jack was extremely disappointed. He was a practicing Catholic and they had just lied by omission to him.

“I’ll need to talk to my client” Jack said, “But I doubt she’s going to let this go, her being in a different country doesn’t help matters.”

“I’m sure you’ll do your best” The Priest said before he walked out.

“What game are you playing at, Jack?” Sean Doran, one of the firms Partners asked.

“A vigorous defense” Jack said, “Laying the groundwork for a perjury trap.”

“Are you insane?” Doran asked.

“Hardly” Jack said, “Aiden O’Keefe died four months ago.”

“You knew that?”

“Law 101” Jack said, “Don’t ask questions you don’t already know the answer to.”

“True enough” Doran said, “You really think this is a fight you can win?”

“I don’t need to win against the Church” Jack said, “I only need to win over the jury.”

“Ballsy, but it might just work” Doran said.

What Jack didn’t mention was that he had an ace in the hole. What had happened to Aiden’s body after he had died.

Last edited: