Part 44, Chapter 579
Chapter Five Hundred Seventy-Nine

24th November 1946

Savannah, Georgia

“Sorry about having to do things this way” Richard Nixon said as he helped Martin out of the trunk of the car. Martin was still surprised that a white man like Nixon would apologize for anything. When he’d called the local offices of the ACLU from the barbershop it was because he knew he was out of options. He’d been advised to not go anywhere near those offices because they knew they were being watched. Instead, one of their own people who was due to return to Washington DC soon had volunteered to get Martin out of Atlanta and eventually out of the South. Martin had been put in a safe house out in the suburbs while they figured out their next move.

During the few days that they had waited Martin had learned about the frame job that was being done on him and got to know Nixon. The Californian had said that it was obvious what was going on because the case that several States were making against him would require him to frequently have been in two, or more, places at once often hundreds of miles apart. Martin had not mentioned that he’d been responsible for one of the bombings, the one thing that he’d never been accused of was being stupid. Then on Saturday evening they had learned that it was too hot for Martin to stay, the local police in coordination with the FBI were starting a multi-state manhunt for Martin. That they had one option left even if they didn’t want to use it. Nixon had said it was because they didn’t trust the individuals involved.

It was sometime after midnight on a Sunday morning, because of the resent recession the normally busy seaport was silent. Martin saw that a ship, the SS La garza azul, Argentina, was tied up to the pier.

Nixon handed Martin a large envelope, “This has money, documents and everything you need to start over” He said, “This ship owned by Imperial Shipping of Kiel-Zossen which means that you should not agree to do anything and avoid talking with anyone if you can help it.”

“Once again” Nixon said, “I’m sorry but this is the best we could do.”

With that Martin walked up the gangplank and he was led to a tiny cabin and told to wait until he got further instructions. In the following hours after the La garza azul had put to sea. Martin would learn that it was bound for Buenos Aires, but he would also discover that the Argentine flagged ship held many secrets. The warning that Nixon had given him echoed in his mind because of that.

Berlin

Just once, Kira wished that Katherine would learn to do things halfway. Katherine had very seldom asked for anything but when she did it was usually a massive headache in the making. There was also the problem of Katherine not sticking her neck out unless it was for a just cause, Kira was forced to back her in situations like that. This situation looked like that and Katherine was only fixing to take on one of the most powerful institutions in the world. This was the shield and spear paradox playing out in real life. Regardless of the philosophical questions raised it seemed to Kira that when an unstoppable force met an unmovable object then the only possible result would be an explosion.

Kira looked at Katherine, she looked furious and the Irish girl looked terrified. Katherine had furnished proof that while the girl was accused of serious crimes in Ireland, she would never be able to get a fair trial there because of the influence of the Irish Catholic Church. Katherine also had proof that the girl had been persecuted by the Church acting as an agent for the Irish Government and there were whispers that she was preparing to use her connections in the newspapers to force the German Government’s hand. While cases like this were why the idea of political asylum existed, Kira wished that Katherine had talked to her before she started this new crusade. It was unfortunate, but Kira realized that she needed to yank back Katherine’s leash before she created even bigger problems.

“You shouldn’t have broken into the Irish jail or started that fire as a diversion Katherine. If you’d seriously hurt someone I would consider handing you over to the Irish Government myself” Kira said, Katherine was about to say something when Kira cut her off, “I want nothing but silence from you until you understand the difficulties that you’ve caused with your impulsiveness.”

“She did it for me” Sibéal said, “I was going to be buried in a trial that was a cruel, unfair joke if she hadn’t saved me.”

“So, you do have a voice of your own” Kira replied, “Care to tell me why you attempted kill an Abbess?”

“I just wanted to see my babe” Sibéal said, “She wouldn’t let me see him, and she was going to have me dragged out, I only wanted to see that he was well. You must understand.” That had come in a nervous rush, as a mother Kira could understand that. She would have allowed nothing to come between her and her children. Still though…

“You understand the serious of what you did?” Kira asked, Sibéal nodded, that was good. “We’ll need to figure out what to do about this, the Emperor and the Chancellor, remember them Katherine, will need to be informed as well. My God, how do you think this will play in Bavaria or Württemberg?”

What a colossal mess.

Last edited:
Germany is playing a little bit too close to the flame with their interference in other countries internal affairs and that is going to cause a backlash that they cannot afford at this time.
President Dewey is just itching at the chance to distract the American people with a "foreign threat" who is interfering with "the time-tested principles of American Justice" and is supporting "Criminal Terrorists".
The Catholic Church is also wanting to take a whack at the First Family of Protestantism, the Hohnzollerns for the diminished prestige of Catholic royalty in Germany (even though it was not of their doing).

Pushing Kat's berserk button indeed. Too bad that she didn't see Kira FIRST. Ah, well. Meanwhile, at least she's not in the American south. Two institutions that aren't much better than Stalin's USSR, about to be messed up.

Doug--a journalist--now has a fantastic source for dirt.

I bet Kennedy might have had a bit of a brown pants moment when Kat acted this directly!

I bet Kennedy might have had a bit of a brown pants moment when Kat acted this directly!

Nope, given his past dealings with her I'm positive that once he sent the telegram he made sure to always be in the presence of witnesses as to his whereabouts. Pretty sure he anticipated being questioned by the authorities eventually.

I kinda wonder how the NAACP came to know about the Abwehr Smuggling Corporation.
Garza azul = Little Blue Heron

It's playing with fire is what it is. If it gets out that the NAACP is working with Abwehr to smuggle out dissidents then they are done. They will be labeled as a foreign espionage ring and all their members will be rounded up and thrown in jail. Oh, violating your Constitutional rights? Too bad you violated the Espionage Act so that means you don't have any rights any more. The Southern Democrats will forever label all Civil Rights activists as traitors and German puppets. In OTL Hoover was wiretapping MLK and all the other Civil Rights leaders because he thought they were in league with the Soviets. They weren't so all that came of it is another stain on the FBI's record (by then I don't think J Edgar's could get much worse). Now though there is real evidence out there waiting to be found that the NAACP has contacts with a foreign rival (some would consider them an enemy). This is bad and will set the Civil Rights movement back several decades at least.

It's playing with fire is what it is. If it gets out that the NAACP is working with Abwehr to smuggle out dissidents then they are done. They will be labeled as a foreign espionage ring and all their members will be rounded up and thrown in jail. Oh, violating your Constitutional rights? Too bad you violated the Espionage Act so that means you don't have any rights any more. The Southern Democrats will forever label all Civil Rights activists as traitors and German puppets. In OTL Hoover was wiretapping MLK and all the other Civil Rights leaders because he thought they were in league with the Soviets. They weren't so all that came of it is another stain on the FBI's record (by then I don't think J Edgar's could get much worse). Now though there is real evidence out there waiting to be found that the NAACP has contacts with a foreign rival (some would consider them an enemy). This is bad and will set the Civil Rights movement back several decades at least.

I agree with all of that. IF this is a one-off AND the FBI wasn't wiretapping the ACLU AND Martin King disappears to Argentina they MAY get away with it. We'll have to see where our esteemed Peabody-Martini takes this.

Edit1: And TTL's Richard Nixon has big brass ones.

Edit2: Nixon worked for the ACLU, not the NAACP.

Last edited:
Oddball question: How big are the scarecats? I can't find the post, and I might just make some 1/87 scale ones tomorrow.

Germany has big problems by getting involved with the mess in America, for years J Edgar Hoover has been looking for a way to get out from under the thumb of German intelligence.
Like a blind squirrel finding an acorn, the FBI is going to find evidence of German involvement and Hoover is going to use it to his advantage.
For the FBI agents that Abwehr had planted years before, this may be too far for them to keep covered up and Germany main interest is to keep the United States from being a hostile power.

If my hypothesis of the Dulles Brothers trying to undermine Pro-German governments in Latin America is correct, then it is in Germany's best interest to let America tear itself apart and keep themselves out of it and concentrate on expanding their influence in Latin America.

Oddball question: How big are the scarecats? I can't find the post, and I might just make some 1/87 scale ones tomorrow.

Here's my original post:

Imagine the silhouette of a cat - foot-long oval for the body, 5-inch circle for the head, inch-long triangular ears on the top all painted black - with a couple of glued-on green reflectors. Mount it on a sharpened stick and plant some on each side of the road. Sometimes the road is mined, sometimes it's not, sometimes it's just mined without the cats.

I don't remember Peabody-Martini correcting me so I think that's the approximate size. :cool:

I like TTL's Nixon. Surprisingly. :p
Even OTL Nixon is to some extent the victim of bad press. He didn't really do anything FDR, Eisenhower, Johnston or Kennedy didn't do before him. What had changed were public attitudes and expectation post Vietnam and he recorded all conversations which provided clear damming evidence

Kira definitely needs to be concerned about the Irish adventure. The backlash in catholic Germany can be bad. On the other hand, when the abuses in Boston came out in OTL, there was horror at the actions of members of the church. I suspect that the pope will be recalling certain people, promoting them, and otherwise ignoring the thing as much as possible. (Look how, in OTL, one of the greatest enablers of pedophilia avoided prosecution, escaped to Rome, and is now being buried with honor among other cardinals.

How long until Jack's excommunication comes through. Sibéal would have been easier--just have a priest tell her that she will be excommunicated and damned to hell unless she recants everything she says, pleads guilty, and shows proper repentance and submission to the church. Likely, she would have done whatever she was told to.

King's a differnt story. Germany wasn't directly involved, but, like other nations, will provide political asylum. It'll still get the KKK and its fellow travelers riled.

King's a differnt story. Germany wasn't directly involved, but, like other nations, will provide political asylum. It'll still get the KKK and its fellow travelers riled.

Germany isn't officially involved in the King matter - somehow Nixon got into contact with an Abwehr covert operation who got King out of the country and into Argentina with a new identity. If King keeps his head down no one will know what happened to him unless US counterintelligence uncovers the extent to which Germany has penetrated the FBI and, likely, every other significant research and intelligence operation.

Kira may have to hold back channel discussions with the Catholic bishops in Germany to diffuse the potential embarrassment of the Empress own personal hand maiden (Kat) interfering with "Internal Church Matters" and violating Irish sovereignty.
The best short term outcome is that everything is swept under the rug with informal pledges by the Church in Ireland and the Irish government to "Look into things and see if there is any truth to these allegations" .
But the wildcard in this is Jack going to go along with any such agreements or will he find his purpose in life by exposing these abuses?