Part 44, Chapter 569
Chapter Five Hundred Sixty-Nine

29th September 1946

Potsdam

“Rioting in Calcutta, thousands feared dead” Kat read aloud, “Violence between Hindus and Muslims widespread.” It was accompanied by a photograph of dozens of corpses on a city street with vultures feeding upon them. It really looked like the end of the world and it reflected her mood perfectly.

“Are you okay Katherine” Kira asked, “You were troubled last week too.”

Kat let her air out through her teeth in frustration, trying to let the anger go with it. A week earlier she’d gone to Doug’s apartment to spend a quiet Saturday morning. They’d been talking about random things and her fantasy to just run away had come up. Doug had said that he’d run away like that and ended up in Berlin. For him it had worked out quite well. Kat had jokingly accused him of trying to sweet talk her. Then he had reached to tilt her head to kiss her and she had shied away from his touch. He had looked at her with a hurt look on his face and mutter something about how he’d kill him if he wasn’t already dead and meant it. Kat had joked about how Doug was still trying to sweet talk her, but that moment had laid bare the problem with their relationship. It was all Kat could do not to run screaming from that room, instead she’d sat there crying over the feelings of despair and loss that for whatever perverse reason she was still able to feel.

“I’ve got this man who loves me and all I feel is hollow” Kat replied.

“You have no idea how lucky you truly are” Kira said, “I married Louis because it furthered my father’s ambitions by having me matched with one of Wilhelm the Third’s younger sons. I got lucky in that Louis still honored the agreement and that we get along well with each other but understand this, love had absolutely nothing to do with it.”

“What are you saying?”

“That you wouldn’t be so distracted like you’ve been for the last week if you didn’t have feelings for Douglas” Kira said, “If not that, then the fact that you didn’t murder Margot Blackwood means should be proof of that and more.”

Kat remembered that night well. Margot, who rightly considered herself the top of the heap in Montreal finding herself surrounded by Berlin Society and finding they disapproved of her treatment of one of their own had been priceless. Even Margot’s usual bluster had gone nowhere. Many of the families represented in that room had histories that went back centuries, long before Canada was even a thing. She’d found herself in the position of being a provincial nobody, something that she’d found deeply uncomfortable.

“Thank you” Kat said, wishing that she could tell if Kira was right.

“Now, what’s the next story Katherine?” Kira asked.

Beaufort, South Carolina

It was something that Jason was used to, that still hadn’t made it any easier when it happened. One day, Dad got travel orders and they were on their way. The whole family had packed up and they had departed for South Carolina via Hawaii and San Diego, they had stopped for a few days in Ipswich, Massachusetts to visit the Grandparents who Jason had hardly remembered. After the last few years living of living on Islands in the Pacific the Mainland had been a rude shock. Jason’s Mom had said that they had been hoping that his Dad’s next assignment would be in California or Virginia. Jason hadn’t understood why until they had arrived at Dad’s new assignment on Paris Island and were advised to stay inside the perimeter until they understood the lay of the land.

They had still needed to go into town for a few things but when they had Jason had discovered that he couldn’t open his mouth without revealing that he was an outsider here. Something that got him treated with deep suspicion. School had been better, there were students from all over the country but that had proven to be a double-edged sword. No one was impressed by the things that had happened on Guam over the last couple years. Odd things happened in areas of forward deployment, everyone knew that. Jimmy had gone to Alaska with his family, according to the last letter, they had already had the first snow there. Compared to hot, sticky South Carolina that didn’t seem too bad.

Berlin

Nancy read in her Mother’s letter that Alan lamenting the end of the baseball season but had high hopes for the football season this year. Mom put a nice spin on it, but Alan was one of those boys who sat forever on the sidelines praying that no one on the team got injured and he’d be put in the game. It was that way with Alan, Dad had pressured him into sports and he was just good enough to just make the cut but not much more than that. Apparently, Dad was still angry with her choice to come here which was distressing. Mom just was hoping that she was well and wasn’t planning on falling in love with anyone because that would kill her father.

Kat had hinted that she should be a bit more circumspect in what she wrote home because you never know. It was Kat of all people would know. But that was before, now it seemed like everyone had been caught up in their own personal drama and Nancy had been extremely lonely until she’d gotten to know Ilse better. It was an astonishing thing to learn that Ilse had no past and no family until Kat had taken her in. She had assured Nancy that regardless of how distracted everyone might be at the moment, no one in this house would hurt her because of it. The way that Ilse had said that made Nancy sure that she was speaking from personal experience, which was terrifying.

Where had Ilse come from to know such a thing?

I think I forgot to post this response so sorry for being 'late' as it were :)
EWilanO wrote:
Does that mean that the microwave will not be invented Percy Spencer at Raytheon?

ShortsBelfast wrote:
Possibly not, may be invented by some British scientist who OTL went down over Berlin in his Lancaster. Possibly will but a bit later or with some British royalties to pay

Actually likely it's still "invented here" :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Spencer

After all keep in mind the thread title and HOW it was 'invented' (not Percy was far from the first person to notice the phenomenon in fact it was a known SAFETY hazard working with microwave radar sets, he was just the first to take the time to study the effect and find out exactly WHY it happened) "Stupid Luck and Happenstance" certainly fits the bill I'd say :)

I'd also point out that the US was on track for the cavity magnetron even before the Tizard mission, oddly enough however it was out weapons manufacturing that really helped out as it turns out the Colt pistol jig assemblies cut rather good working CM's early on:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron

On a personal note I was one of the ones that mourned the lost days of the Amana "Radar Range" microwave ovens. As a Radar Technician I could actually FIX those, (and often did as my roommate and I had one for the longest time) unlike the modern solid state ovens. Of course the fact the lights in the entire Apartment block would dim like the lights at Sing Sing when the electric chair was used...

In the narrative Dewey is losing his marbles over condolence letters to fire victims so I highly doubt he's going to do anything at all to split the Democrats. In fact I predict he'll probably try and 'court' the Southern Democrats if Truman looks to be a problem by agreeing to a harder line against those 'uppity' Negro's... He pretty much has to to get the conflict that's being built up towards.

And note that in TTL that a 'sane' Germany in no way should mean a 'safe' Germany as PM has pretty much ensured that the current state of the world is literally the worst nightmare either the French or British can or could imagine. (And that's only because TTL they have no clue how "bad" it COULD have gotten as per OTL) And there is really nothing they can do about It except maybe feed some intelligence and information to the US and hope they are 'saner' than they seem to be. I think they will be disappointed in that respect.

Theoretical_TJ wrote:
As I mentioned before, the fact that Gianba mentioned in her interview that she's living in Berlin greatly narrows the candidates, and her identity may be a semi open secret in the neighborhood.

That's actually both a good thing and bad as the 'neighborhood' (and lets face is a huge circle of 'family' friends) will automatically and very effectively pull together to protect Giana if such information should leak out. Or if someone (read "stranger") gets too nosey. It's rather obvious that Giana is fully tired of 'hiding out' and more so of the supposed 'responsibility' that people are trying to lay on her as the presumed 'heir' of the throne. I think people will be surprised when she not only acknowledges who she is but then publicly and very, VERY vehemently tells everyone and anyone to take this job and shove it! (Kat's talked to her about this remember and Giana frankly doesn't care. Psychologically I'm going to be surprised if Peter doesn't notice she's almost activily TRYING to let it out at some point)

EWilanO wrote:
Violin case

Nice but that's a dead giveaway as it could only mean she's "Coming to America" as that's one of our 'gimmicks' ;)

Randy

Dear PM, you have made hints about Ilse for a while. She must have a role to play. I guess either it should play out soon or there should be less hints.
If I’m the only one feeling that way, maybe its just perfect. I’m not the professional writer, but that was my two cents.
Great read.

Dear PM, you have made hints about Ilse for a while. She must have a role to play. I guess either it should play out soon or there should be less hints.
If I’m the only one feeling that way, maybe its just perfect. I’m not the professional writer, but that was my two cents.
Great read.
There has been hints that von Richthofen is going to lead a conservative rural "Germanic" values-based movement, and that will be *fun* for Germany.

There has been hints that von Richthofen is going to lead a conservative rural "Germanic" values-based movement, and that will be *fun* for Germany.

IMHO there have been entirely too many highly decorated and ennobled-for-service-to the-state commoners (Kat, Order of Luise recipients, etc) around for that to be anything but an ignomious failure. Besides, this is after the revolution so everyone has a seat at the table.

"'Back to good old days?' Good for whom? The traditional Junkers? The asshole rich? No, I don't think so."

IMHO there have been entirely too many highly decorated and ennobled-for-service-to the-state commoners (Kat, Order of Luise recipients, etc) around for that to be anything but an ignomious failure. Besides, this is after the revolution so everyone has a seat at the table.

"'Back to good old days?' Good for whom? The traditional Junkers? The asshole rich? No, I don't think so."
Well TBF the post I am referring to had von Richthofen musing about the then upcoming election and how the National Liberal Party which is the Center-Right party ITTL were campaigning on a "Return to Normalcy" platform and von Richthofen told them it was not going to work.
He then was thinking that Germany's roots are in the land and Chancellor Lang did not understand that.
So it not really a "Back to the Good Old Days" but on what it means to be a German, it is " Blood and Soil".

So Manfred will champion the "true" green faction in the Reichstag? That will be a laugh.
And I think there were some hints in the TL that showed that he had accepted that the Junker way of live was heading towards its end. Not that he will accept it silently, but if he can mix the traditional values with forward thinking ideas on preserving nature in some kind, I can see him having some success. Not only in the conservative hardliner faction for the values of old, but also by forward thinking individuals that see the problems of unchecked growth. And will that be a coalition of convinience...

And after the Right's little coup attempt, that wound up discovering they were in league with Russia?

Yeah, not going anywhere.

Well TBF the post I am referring to had von Richthofen musing about the then upcoming election and how the National Liberal Party which is the Center-Right party ITTL were campaigning on a "Return to Normalcy" platform and von Richthofen told them it was not going to work.
He then was thinking that Germany's roots are in the land and Chancellor Lang did not understand that.
So it not really a "Back to the Good Old Days" but on what it means to be a German, it is " Blood and Soil".

Okay, maybe a message of "We don't want the forests cut down, the fields paved over and the air and water full of crud from factories." They might get a start on Titanium Dixide in paint instead of Lead and banning Tetraethyl Lead in anything other than avation fuel.

Okay, maybe a message of "We don't want the forests cut down, the fields paved over and the air and water full of crud from factories." They might get a start on Titanium Dixide in paint instead of Lead and banning Tetraethyl Lead in anything other than avation fuel.

If the platform of the old guard included keeping things nice for everyone--parks, limited polution, etc, they they might be able to keep some benefits of their position by allying with the oddest of folks: The commoners, especially the urban poor. Nobles vote to keep parks, clean air and waer, and education, and the commoners vote to let them keep some perks. (Exclusive hunting preserves, perhaps, or even hunting season starts earlier for the nobles/early permits are expensive so that only the nobles can afford them. They both get environmental regulation that keeps their lives better, and that some big companies will hate, because clean costs lots of money.

If the platform of the old guard included keeping things nice for everyone--parks, limited polution, etc, they they might be able to keep some benefits of their position by allying with the oddest of folks: The commoners, especially the urban poor. Nobles vote to keep parks, clean air and waer, and education, and the commoners vote to let them keep some perks. (Exclusive hunting preserves, perhaps, or even hunting season starts earlier for the nobles/early permits are expensive so that only the nobles can afford them. They both get environmental regulation that keeps their lives better, and that some big companies will hate, because clean costs lots of money.

The aristocracy has a long history of supporting conservationist movements, just look at Teddy Roosevelt.

Part 44, Chapter 570
Chapter Five Hundred Seventy

3rd October 1946

Berlin

Marcella had come to comment on latest round of fiscal and personal masochism that her niece was subjecting herself to.

“You are not beholden to your father in a way that you should take on his obligations” Marcella said, “Particularly the ones he’s shirked because of his love of easy solutions and crawling into a bottle every time things get difficult.”

Kat had been completely indifferent to Marcella’s concerns. “It’s my money” She said, “And it’s not like they don’t need the help because he obviously doesn’t care.”

“Don’t think for an instant that they won’t take advantage of you” Marcella relied.

Kat had been annoyed when she had stormed out of the parlor because her housekeeper, Petia, had asked for her help, leaving Marcella sitting there alone. In the other room across the hallway, Marcella could see the girl who lived upstairs and was also a student at the University was studying. She had several books and papers spread out around her.

“You’re not another one of them, are you?” Marcella asked.

“Another one of what?” The girl asked in reply.

“Nothing” Marcella said, “Elisabeth, right?”

“Yes” The girl said, “But no one calls me that.”

That made enough sense in this house. Kat, Gerta and Gianna didn’t go by their actual names.

Marcella was here because she had heard through the grapevine that Kat had been helping out some of Otto Mischner’s other children. It was the continuing hangover from the Alscher episode years earlier when that awful woman had used the truth as a bludgeon. Beata Alscher had used Otto Mischner’s serial infidelity even before Suse had died against Kat. When Kat had gotten even by getting rid of Alscher she had discovered the truth about Otto’s love life and carelessness which had left her with several half siblings who Otto was loath to acknowledge.

Klaus had never seemed to show any interest in stepping out, something that Marcella sincerely thankful for. Otto however, had a type of woman that he was attracted to and the results were predictable. It also explained why Kat had an instant sense of kinship with both Helene and Gianna who happened to physically resemble many of her half-siblings. It had also long been obvious that Kat’s red hair made her the exception, the rest tended to have dark hair and blue eyes, like Hans.

“Do you know anything about blood types and heredity?” Elisabeth asked.

Was that a sick joke?

“A bit” Marcella said. Anyone with children tended to learn about things like that in a hurry.

“It’s from a class I’m taking” Elisabeth said, “Introduction to Biology. I’d heard that paternity could be determined that way and hoped for a clue about who I am.”

“It doesn’t work that way” Marcella said. Kat had mentioned that Elisabeth had been a foundling. The means to trace her parentage simply didn’t exist.

“I figured that out” Elisabeth replied, “But the good news is that if I’m ever in an accident, I’m a universal recipient.”

“That’s rare, isn’t it?” Marcella asked, noticing the tinge of sarcasm in Elisabeth’s voice. Marcella also was aware that meant that she was the same blood type as Hans and Kat. Considering that from the that way Elisabeth talked, Marcella figured she was from same Berlin neighborhoods so the odds of her being Otto’s daughter had just gone up massively. Of course, Marcella figured that it could just easily be her frustrations with Kat coloring her thinking.

“Three percent of the population” Elisabeth said as she gathered her things, “I’m the odd one out, even by blood.”

Not as much as you might think, Marcella thought to herself. If this another of Kat’s games or just a perverse coincidence Marcella figured she would never know. It was probably better that way.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lang had decided that getting a meal at the club while he was in Berlin had not been such a great idea after all. Mostly it was because they had seated him next an Oberst who seemed to have an opinion about everything.

“It looks like your timing was good to have left the job” The Oberst said before taking a sip of his drink.

“I can assure you that annalists and historians will find plenty of instances of me setting the stage” Lang replied.

“Armchair Generals, you mean” The Oberst said with a sneer. “Easy to say what should have been done when you were never in the thick of it.”

“I guess so” Lang said. That was true enough, but he knew full well that the individuals who the Oberst had just sneered at would have plenty of evidence to back up their claims.

The afternoon before, the bottom had fallen out of the stock markets in both Berlin and London. The overdue correction that Lang had understood was coming two years earlier as the bill for the war started to work its way through the international economy. The conversation with the Oberst was typical of many that Lang had had over the last several months with military men. It was something that he had talked about with Emil, who found it amusing. He said it meant that Lang had proven himself in their eyes. You’ve earned their respect, is how he had put it.

“In some ways, it’s not all bad” The Oberst said, “Less money for all the fancy fripperies and doodads, gets us back to basics.”

“Meaning?” Lang asked.

“You know, jet planes, rockets and those calculation machines.”

Lang figured the Oberst was correct about that. With how lean he figured the next couple years were going to be, it was very likely that research and development was going to get cut considerably.

“Perhaps” Lang replied, “But that work will continue on some level if for no other reason than the fact that the people who design those things are too dangerous to leave to their own devices.”

“Good point, Sir” The Oberst said, “Good thing we had someone like you thinking about these things during the war.”

Lang considered all the things he’d attempted to put in place against this, he hoped it was going to be enough.

Last edited:
The situation as I see it, with the war over, many of the contracts for goods to be sold on the international market are being cancelled and this is slowing down the United States economy and President Dewey may be proposing to raise tariffs on imports because that worked so well last time (Smoot-Hawley).

In Great Britain, the unrest in India is turning into a real money pit, and many British companies with large investments in India are going under and that is taking the British economy with it.The

Germany in order to win the war overheated their economy just as Great Britain did IOTL, the fact the the war against Japan lasted another 15 months did not help things.
Germany is probably helping to rebuild Poland and is involved with the restructuring and reconstruction of the former Soviet , and that is not going to be cheap.
Probably the only bright spot is in Latin America where German engineering and construction companies because of the experience they gained in the war are scooping up contracts from their American rivals, but there is a down side with the Americans complaining to the United States government about unfair competition and wanting "something" to be done.

The situation as I see it, with the war over, many of the contracts for goods to be sold on the international market are being cancelled and this is slowing down the United States economy and President Dewey may be proposing to raise tariffs on imports because that worked so well last time (Smoot-Hawley).

In Great Britain, the unrest in India is turning into a real money pit, and many British companies with large investments in India are going under and that is taking the British economy with it.The

Germany in order to win the war overheated their economy just as Great Britain did IOTL, the fact the the war against Japan lasted another 15 months did not help things.
Germany is probably helping to rebuild Poland and is involved with the restructuring and reconstruction of the former Soviet , and that is not going to be cheap.
Probably the only bright spot is in Latin America where German engineering and construction companies because of the experience they gained in the war are scooping up contracts from their American rivals, but there is a down side with the Americans complaining to the United States government about unfair competition and wanting "something" to be done.
Good points. The big issue its going to pop up now, as the economy re-adjusts to the latest crash.

While Germany overheated its economy, the fact its that East Europe, Russia and Asia need an INGENT amount of rebuilding. Isn't gonna be cheap, true, but at least they are going to be paid, either with hard cash, or first options to develop new minning, and other resources unexpoited in the former Soviet Union. That means that money will still get into the German arks.

The other point that will hit the Americans bad will come now. The German Industry, due to the needs of War and such, even if they were buying outside, they, true to their nature learned to mix both speed of production, quantity, AND efficiency.

For a basic mental image, if the Americans used 1 ton of Steel to make 2 Cars, the Germans learned to make 3 Cars with the same amount, and an equal or superior Quality to the American Cars.

Why i point this? Because Likely BOTH the Americans AND the Germans paid nearly the same for the ton of Steel. Meaning that to the hour of selling these Cars, The Germans are profiting more , using less to produce more, something that the Americans STILL have not gotten yet to in their mass production process. In a normal Economy, this wouldn't affect the US, given their sheer volume of production.

But in a Economy JUST after a Market Crash? What you do if you want to keep your business working, and yet save money? You buy from the provider that can assure you the highest amount of Profit, EVEN if you have to make price cuts to keep yourself in business.

The simple fact will be that the German Industry and Business will offer prices that while reducing profit, will KEEP their economy working, and more importantly, will be FAR cheaper than American prices, while keeping the same quality. The deepening of the links between the European Countries due to the fighting against the Soviets will also add to this, as in order to save quite a bit of money, and added to the idiocy of Dewey's import taxing, the European Economy will go inwards, buying and selling between themselves first rather than overseas, reducing in a noticeable level the costs of transports and the overall price, while keeping a level of profit that would be lost due to STUPID Taxation.

Furthermore, after the economy crash during the 1920's , Lang's government likely put multiple safeguards and contingencies to prevent a shock effect like the last big economical crash. While the Germans still will feel it, it won't be as hard as the rest, and combined with the other factors, it will end possibly in Germany being the factor that pushes most of the other countries from their recession.....except for the Americans.

One of the great things about this timeline is that it forced me to do some research.
I learned that the United States sold 185 billion dollars in war bonds and if Germany sold a tenth of that in war bonds in the United States that is 18.5 billion dollars and a quarter of that is about 47 billion dollars, and it is coming due in a few years from now.

The most used fighter in the war was probably the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk because it was able to work in the harsh conditions of the Russian Front and the Pacific War, easier to fly and maintain, it did outfight the Japanese fighters IOTL as long as you did not get into a long, slow dogfight and it could out dive a Japanese fighter and take more punishment then the Japanese fighters.
IOTL the Soviets used a lot of P-40s, and I could see the smaller allies like Finland, Hungary, and Romania using them because the P-40 was probably better then most of the Soviet fighters and the P-40 was great in Close Air Support.
In the Pacific War, the Netherlands and China IOTL used them and I can't see that being different ITTL.
But the most important reason for countries to buy the P-40 is that it was cheap and it didn't need to be better then the German fighters , only the Japanese and Soviet fighters.

And I lost the thread of the point I was trying to make, something about companies like Critics-Wright going under now that the war is over and Germany is selling war surplus that is better the Americans at a very low price with parts and training included.

In Great Britain, the unrest in India is turning into a real money pit, and many British companies with large investments in India are going under and that is taking the British economy with it.
This won't work quite like OTL. Britain and France don't have economies as heavily screwed over by this war. Indeed the war in the Car East was probably more of an economic stimulus than a drag. And Britain didn't lose control of Singapore or the Malay tin and rubber. Or the Burmese jade and ruby mines. And the Indian independence movement will be more constitutional and gradualist with no Bengal famine and no massive blows to the Angrezi Raj' prestige without the Japanese pushing them out of Malaya and Burma. And Lord Halifax PM by now. And he really understood colonial and Dominion affairs. Expect a gradual negotiated independence with a federal Indian state and no Partition.