Dewey may put pressure on the Southern states too. He had quite a dcent record on supporting Black civil rights OTL and was an anti-segregationist.
I know. The only explanation that could come to my mind in this case it's a mix of multiple factors, being more worried about the Economy and the External situation now that the Second Great War ended, coupled with bad advice and a serious misreading of how truly BAD have gotten things in the South since the Alabama Massacre.

Dewey may try to "buy" his way out on civil rights by backing a massive Interstate Highway System construction project and more federal government spending on higher education with more money being dedicated to Historical Black Colleges and Universities, this would get support from "Big Labor" and Civil Rights moderates.
Before the Alabama Massacre, MAYBE.

After it, the King and copycat Bombings, and the unrestrained and murderous retaliation of the KKK, combined with the silent indignation to the foolish dismissal of the message of Martin Luther King in the NY Times, things have gone too far beyond the point of compromise or talks, and only dropping the Hammer hard could allow Dewey to save things past the currently downward spiral of violence.
Not really. I mean, some colleges aren't going to be enough, given how bad it is. He needs to set a clear fucking example, otherwse....
FAR too late indeed ñ.

Not going to work. It's been done before, never works. I expect there to be public demands that he DO something about it.
Once again you are right, but as this is Peabody-Martini's timeline, I suspect that he will have the United States not just take "stupid pills" but also have "radical stupid surgery" followed by a course of "stupid chemotherapy" and "stupid radiation treatment".

Once again you are right, but as this is Peabody-Martini's timeline, I suspect that he will have the United States not just take "stupid pills" but also have "radical stupid surgery" followed by a course of "stupid chemotherapy" and "stupid radiation treatment".
Followed by infection with the “stupid virus”?

Followed by infection with the “stupid virus”?
Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I do not think that the USA have some "right" to get it right. And in this TL we see a, Imo, logical, maybe a bit too pro German, sequence of events. Yes it is very good going for Germany, but very far from impossible. Simply improbable.
On the other hand, again Imo, the USA did nothing out of character for them. And that they could develop a "racial" sickness so to say is something that is eminentely possible. There was enough racial tension in OTL, in here we see a USA that is not tempered by the mistakes and excesses of Nazi Germany. So how would they know and or suspecet the problems they may court?
On the balance, I find it very possible that a USA that has no negative example of racism and other negative -isms that Europe provided OTL that it could slide into something very unhealthy for this TL. Will it destroy the USA? As we know it most certainly, but probably not as a country. It will have many more problems then OTL. But without its preeminence I could very likely foresee a very bumpy road until it gets itself onto an even keel.
Could it take some years or even decades? Yes, but if you see the OTL problems in race relations even today, maybe a bitter medicine early on could help it in the long run.

Correct me if I'm wrong,
but I do not think that the USA have some "right" to get it right. And in this TL we see a, Imo, logical, maybe a bit too pro German, sequence of events. Yes it is very good going for Germany, but very far from impossible. Simply improbable.
On the other hand, again Imo, the USA did nothing out of character for them. And that they could develop a "racial" sickness so to say is something that is eminentely possible. There was enough racial tension in OTL, in here we see a USA that is not tempered by the mistakes and excesses of Nazi Germany. So how would they know and or suspecet the problems they may court?
On the balance, I find it very possible that a USA that has no negative example of racism and other negative -isms that Europe provided OTL that it could slide into something very unhealthy for this TL. Will it destroy the USA? As we know it most certainly, but probably not as a country. It will have many more problems then OTL. But without its preeminence I could very likely foresee a very bumpy road until it gets itself onto an even keel.
Could it take some years or even decades? Yes, but if you see the OTL problems in race relations even today, maybe a bitter medicine early on could help it in the long run.
There is a reason why it's called "Stupid Luck and Happenstance" after all, duh.

To be fair to Peabody-Martini, a lot of nations and people take stupid pills and IOTL it can be argued that Japan took an overdose of them, so why not the United States ITTL?

Part 42, Chapter 543
Chapter Five Hundred Forty-Three

9th May 1946

Berlin

The face in the mirror was one that Kat wished the papers could see when they referred to the “Emerald of Berlin" that they called her that because of her frequent choice of clothing and jewelry, dark green and emeralds set in silver. To Kat that had seemed a bit counterintuitive, but she had been called far worse in the past. What she saw was the dark circles under bloodshot eyes, the rest pale and drawn. She had been in a black mood the since the day before. Ironically, while she’d had no energy to do anything all day, it was when she tried to sleep her mind raced. Her conversation with Hans had raced through her mind over and over. Was she just taking advantage of the people who thought they cared about her?

Digging through the medicine cabinet Kat found the pill bottle that had been a gift of sorts from Doctor Brandt. She had suspected at the time that it was an extra experiment on Brandt’s part and as a means of getting even with Doctor Holz. Now the experiment was over. The mandatory sessions were behind her, the Doctor’s had published their paper and Kat was still a depressive mess. Ten gelatin tablets, just one and all of her problems would go away for a few hours and it was not as if she would be needed for anything.

As it turned out she was wrong about both those things.

Kiel

“I did not approve any of this” Jacob said.

Albrecht von Richthofen had brought two friends with him when he came from the University of Berlin, Sigmund and Wendell. Jacob had looked over their résumés, University of Berlin, the Technical University and the Wilhelm Institute had been interested in them, they had all come well recommended. Unfortunately, Jacob had discovered that they left quite a bit to be desired. A corner of the warehouse now held a couch, Persian rug and television that they had acquired from somewhere.

“You can’t expect us to work without a place to take a break” Bert said in response.

“But did you actually get any real work done?” Jacob asked.

“We recreated that equation on the chalkboard in the office” Sigmund chimed in, “From your notes, Sir…” As Jacob turned towards him, gave him a withering stare and Sigmund trailed off.

“We’ve been working all day, Admiral” Bert said, “Sig and Wendell aren’t used to dealing with military types, you on the other hand need to understand that this is not a military project.”

Jacob looked at Albrecht, so the pup had some steel in his spine after all. “Very well” He said, “Just ask me before you make any more changes.”

Berlin

When the door opened Doug found himself faced with Helene who looked furious. “I am not going to miss having to be the Nanny to grown adults, you can deal with her” She said before stomping off.

Doug had a free afternoon and he had thought that he would ask Kat to lunch and they could watch the commuters in the mad rush to make it back to the suburbs. Kat always had fun watching them as they streamed by in the thousands and making up stories about the ones who caught her attention. Instead he had evidently walked in on whatever drama was ongoing in this house. Knowing Kat, that filled him with a great deal of apprehension. She didn’t know how to have small problems.

In the parlor he found Kat sitting with Helene’s mother with a vague smile on her face, her eyes were glassy, and the pupils looked huge. Her choice of clothes was also off, old sweater and trousers cut off at the knees. Normally she only dressed that way when she expected no one to actually see her or she was about to run eight or nine kilometers.

As soon as she noticed Doug, she jumped up hugged and kissed him to his surprise. “Love you” She whispered into his ear which was absolutely shocking. This was totally out of character for her. He watched as Frau von Richthofen gently guided Kat back to the couch where she played with her hair and looked out the window absently, humming to herself and ignoring them.

“Is she drunk?” Doug asked, still in shock over Kat’s behavior.

“No” Käte said, “Just intoxicated. From what we could get out of her. Katherine was feeling depressed, so she took something that she hoped would make her feel better. It didn’t quite go according to plan.”

“Any idea what it was?” Doug asked as he took a seat in the chair opposite the couch.

“Not really” Käte said, “According to Helene, she was taking the same thing last year. The effects are fascinating from the perspective of someone who has worked in the field of neurology. She seems to be veering between emotional extremes.”

With that Kat had started weeping, which concerned Doug. Again, this was out of character. But then, she was with Frau von Richthofen, who had been, and was planning on again being, a nurse who dealt with exactly this sort of thing.

“Katherine said that she was hoping to ride this out locked in her room.” Käte said, “Our having to get her measurements for her dress upset all of that.”

“She’ll be all right?” Doug asked.

“In a few hours” Käte said, “But I don’t know if I will be.”

“What’s going on with you?”

“Nothing” Käte replied, “But finding out Katherine’s waist size was an unwelcome surprise. I never was that thin, ever.”

“You seem to be taking having to keep an eye on her surprisingly well” Doug said. He didn’t mention that Kat exercised obsessively to ward off the same depression that had caused her to do this and that was why she was in such good shape.

“Try raising five children” Käte said, “Even with the help I had they were a handful. At least this doesn’t involve blood or vomit.”

Last edited:
Talk about taking stupid pills...
Not Kat, I mean Dr. Brandt, if and when Dr. Holz finds out what was prescribed for Kat, Dr.Brandt professional career is not long for this world.
And Dr. Brandt should be worried if Kat begins to understand the danger he put her in with that "medicine" .

Dr. Holz is going to feed Brandt his prescription pad and then shove his medical diploma in at the other end, without removing it from the frame. If he did not coordinate the dispensing of the pills outside of the case study, with the primary, then he is done in medicine.

To be fair to Peabody-Martini, a lot of nations and people take stupid pills and IOTL it can be argued that Japan took an overdose of them, so why not the United States ITTL?
I simply do not like the meme of "Stupid Ball / Pill". Imo they are overused to get antagonists to do stupid things that do not make sense. Also in a well constructed TL, like this one, it can destroy the immersion if one side simply does something for no reason at all. Yes we like to rant about the stupid decissions of OTL, but Imo most had some grounding and or reasons to do them. Even if the mentality or arguments do not make sense to us.
In the end it is simply the tale behind the decisions that has to make some sense for one side to, for me at least, make the story interesting.

Yes we like to rant about the stupid decissions of OTL, but Imo most had some grounding and or reasons to do them.
Ultimately, if the other powers do too many stupid things or aren't competitive that isn't good for Germany either as it encourages tendencies to stagnation and complacency. The best thing for Germany is a US that tries really hard to solve its domestic problems and to modernise its military and a France, Britain and Italy that likewise modernise their armed forces and gradually decolonise. And a Russia and Far East that press to modernise their economies. The Americans, Russians, Ukraineans and East Asians will be domestically focused while the Western Europeans will have a load of domestic priorities too and major decolonisation projects. These countries will all be having good ideas and innovations of their own to keep Germany on its toes (Penicillin or discovery of DNA in Britain, Edgar Brandt's munitions in France for instance) and will also develop nuclear and missile tech. However they will be too busy at home and in their colonies and former colonies to seriously challenge German pre-eminence.
What country will provide TTL's Marcel Bloch's jet fighters I wonder with the Jews expelled from France in the 1920s? Germany? Netherlands? UK? Belgium? Switzerland? USA? Brazil? Argentina? And his brother was a leading figure in prewar French tank development. Wherever the brothers Bloch migrated to will have had quite a fillip to their defence industries!

will this project or some thing like it go ahead in the Congo?
OTRAG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTRAG

Shaba North was the launch site of the first rockets launched by Orbital Transport und Raketen AktienGesellschaft, or Orbital Forwarding Company in English ("OTRAG"). It is located in the Democratic Republic of Congo at 8°00′S 28°30′ECoordinates:
17px-WMA_button2b.png
8°00′S 28°30′E.

In 1977 and in 1978 three test flights of OTRAG rockets were launched from Shaba North.

In 1979 OTRAG stopped launching rockets from Shaba North for political reasons. Its launching activities were later moved to Sabha, Libya.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaba_North

otrag-porownanie-z-innymi-raketami-popular-science-1978-03.gif

Forgotten space projects: OTRAG
https://steemit.com/space/@busser/forgotten-space-projects-otrag

The idea that the actions of America are examples of them taking "stupid pills" is interesting if only because it demonstrates the idea that hindsight is always 20/20. The actions of the United States in this time line seem like short sighted mistakes but only in the context of looking at it from OTL in 2017. If you took public opinion polls of the US population they would overwhelmingly think that sitting out the Second World War was the right call and you do not want to even think about what that same population thought about minorities. The Manhattan Project in OTL was infiltrated by the NKVD in an effort that looks very clumsy from our perspective which begs the question of what would happen if the program was infiltrated by an agency more capable of subtlety and subversion. As for the Deep South, that is a powder keg waiting to go off. Without the social mobility that had resulted from WW2, both the draft and massive expansion of the aerospace industry on the West Coast, that seems like it was bound to happen. A minor detail that is forgotten, the Battle of the Bulge started the process that ended with the US Military being integrated.

However, if you want an excellent example of an entire nation not only taking a dose of stupidity though malice, stupidity and ignorance. Then repeatedly doubling down on that. You don't have to look any further than American history since around 1960.

The idea that the actions of America are examples of them taking "stupid pills" is interesting if only because it demonstrates the idea that hindsight is always 20/20. The actions of the United States in this time line seem like short sighted mistakes but only in the context of looking at it from OTL in 2017. If you took public opinion polls of the US population they would overwhelmingly think that sitting out the Second World War was the right call and you do not want to even think about what that same population thought about minorities. The Manhattan Project in OTL was infiltrated by the NKVD in an effort that looks very clumsy from our perspective which begs the question of what would happen if the program was infiltrated by an agency more capable of subtlety and subversion. As for the Deep South, that is a powder keg waiting to go off. Without the social mobility that had resulted from WW2, both the draft and massive expansion of the aerospace industry on the West Coast, that seems like it was bound to happen. A minor detail that is forgotten, the Battle of the Bulge started the process that ended with the US Military being integrated.

However, if you want an excellent example of an entire nation not only taking a dose of stupidity though malice, stupidity and ignorance. Then repeatedly doubling down on that. You don't have to look any further than American history since around 1960.
So time to get our Beers, Bratwurst, and watch this spectacular session of "Jackass, 1946,PM Version"!? :openedeyewink:

With no United States IOTL WWII, there is not going to be the great African-Americans migration for jobs to the North and West, but there will be at first a trickle then a flood of internal refugees from the South who didn't have jobs to go to.
This will create a great strain on local and state governments to provide the needed assistance and will have to ask funding from the the federal government, but a coalition of Southern Democrats and Small Government Republicans in Congress will block any efforts to fund any relief to the local and state governments.

Last edited:
Part 42, Chapter 544
Chapter Five Hundred Forty-Four

10th May 1946

Luxemburg City

In accordance with the Potsdam Agreement all information of intelligence value that had been found in Manchuria was being shared with Allied Powers by the German Government though a neutral country. Ian Fleming found himself being a part of one of the groups that was looking through the massive number of files, papers and photographs. As was the nature of the Jerrys, everything had been carefully documented and cataloged. Still though the sheer volume of material made sifting through it a daunting task and there was what they were seeing. It was the stuff of nightmares. The idea that the Japanese had that the people they had imprisoned were inferior had manifested in profoundly disturbing ways. At this very moment the individuals involved were on trial in Pusan. The southern Korean port city would be home to the new German Asian enclave which was the deal that had been worked out. The Koreans were getting the Germans to pay to rebuild the city in return, already it had been established as an important supply base for the German Pacific Battle Squadron.

It was what Fleming had been hearing about for the last several weeks. The situation in the Western and Southern Pacific had grown complicated. Then two weeks earlier the Jerry had tipped over the apple cart. By diplomatic back channels they had informed the British and French Governments that they had successfully detonated an atomic bomb. It was being handled quietly but this was the biggest upset in the balance of power in Europe since the Austro-Hungarian Empire had disintegrated following the First World War. Everyone in Europe was scrambling to figure out their place in the new order of things.

This had hit the British Admiralty particularly hard. They still had one of the most powerful Navies in the world but if a single bomb could wipe out a fleet then that changed everything. The Germans seemed to be grappling with the same sort of problems. In a move that had surprised everyone, the foremost experts in the German Scientific community had spoken to their counterparts in France and the UK informing them that having this dangerous new technology proliferate was in no one’s interest. The consensus at the SIS was that they would need to wait and see the Germans intentions were, while continuing with their own nuclear programs. Apparently, the French were doing the exact same thing.

Córdoba, Argentina

For Marcel Bloch it was like something from a dream as the airplane he had designed lifted off from the runway. The roar of the turbojet was loud even from this distance. The Argentine Government had approached the firm the Marcel had founded a decade earlier after his split from the Argentine subsidiary of Junkers AG and asked him if he could license build German designed Focke-Wulf Hühnerhabicht jet fighters. He had told them that he could build a much better airplane to meet their needs.

They had only agreed to let Marcel do this because he had designed a twin-engine airliner that had begun to cut into the market share of the advanced versions of the Ju-52 and the American built DC-3s. The MB-325 Pampero, same prototype he was watching lift off at that moment was already theoretically better than the Hühnerhabicht, larger bombload and greater range. They would take it through testing and see if by tweaking they could make it something truly wonderful.

Berlin

Peter was disappointed. He’d found out that Kat had taken a stab at self-medicating with results that were nothing worse than mild embarrassment. Which was fortunate. When he had found out from Kat’s friend Helene about what had happened, she had sounded more annoyed than anything. Apparently, Helene had grown tired of the frequently immature and impulsive actions of Katherine and Lagertha. It was odd, of the three furies the two who had been forced to take on adult responsibilities early were the problem here while the one who had an extended adolescence was having to be the adult in this situation. As much as he was annoyed by Kat’s actions, he knew the thought of her in an intoxicated state telling the people she cared about how much she loved them was inadvertent comedy. Naturally, none of them knew how to handle it.

As for Kat herself, Peter didn’t excuse her actions though he felt that he had failed her. She had complained about feeling empty and hollow again, something that was one of the symptoms of her struggle with depression. When Kat was in that state she would do anything to feel something. Powerful psychotropic drugs might just have been the least bad option for her at that moment, considering... That led Peter to the next problem, who had given them to her?

As much as Peter might have wanted to track down Albert Brandt and break both his legs knowing how he liked to experiment with drugs as a supplement for other forms of entertainment, Peter was aware that Kat hadn’t seen him in months. Brandt himself was on a sabbatical to Brazil, sampling native medicine there. Perhaps Brandt would go native and never come back, but Peter didn’t think his luck would be that good. Taking this up with Kat wasn’t going to be any good, if she didn’t want to tell you something then it would never be mentioned. She had endured what amounted to interrogation sessions under chemical influence and never once mentioned what she didn’t want to. For all Peter knew Kat had visited Albert Hofmann himself, she had disappeared for a couple of weeks the prior month.

Last edited: