Germany has just saved a lot of time, research, and money in obtaining weapons grade plutonium.

Malcolm X makes a surprise cameo, well done!

Md139115

Banned
Washington lives for another day.

At a certain point though, the US is going to have to face up to the fact that the FBI is the Abwher's North American branch in all but name.

If Truman becomes president, heads are going to have to start rolling lest the US completely fade into irrelevance.

If Truman becomes president, heads are going to have to start rolling lest the US completely fade into irrelevance.
Assuming he takes over. At this point, they're going to have to handle the South sooner or later, less people start making comments about their ideals not quite being lived up to.

All that buildup on Teller seems wasted.....:p. On the other hand though, its good that a nuke did not go off like that with crazy in command.

I think without any evidence, the CDU/CSU will win the election with the promise of a "Return to Normalcy".

With the acquisition of plutonium, the KWI is going to be surprised on the purity of the plutonium and while they will not use the "Teller Plutonium" for weapons they will test it for other things.

The new government will not have any of the same reservations that Chancellor Lang had on developing nuclear weapons and will get rid of any scientists at the Institute who will not work on the project.

Also redhead and green dress works better than red-red, especially if she has green eyes.

Unfortunately, the orange of the sash of the Order of the Black Eagle will clash with both her red hair and the green of her dress. She can arrange the ribbon to hide the scars on her shoulder unless she feels like making a statement about how she earned the Order. Everyone will know, but no one is likely to bring it up to her.

Edit: changed Order of Louise to Order of the Black Eagle. Order of Louise is black and white ribbon, Order of the Black Eagle has an orange sash.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the orange of the ribbon of the Order of Louise will clash with both her red hair and the green of her dress. She can arrange the ribbon to hide the scars on her shoulder unless she feels like making a statement about how she earned the Order. Everyone will know, but no one is likely to bring it up to her.

The Order of Louise is on a white bow or ribbon with three black stripes, the Grand Cross version that Kat has doesn't exist IOTL and is more ornate than the 1st Class medal. Your point about the sash of the Order of the Black Eagle does stand though.

Last edited:
True, this can be a pretty clashing look:

7211993990_a3d5c94113_b.jpg

The Order of Louise is on a white bow or ribbon with three black stripes, the Grand Cross version that Kat has doesn't exist IOTL and is more ornate that the 1st Class medal. Your point about the sash of the Order of the Black Eagle does stand though.

Oops! I meant the sash of the Order of the Black Eagle. Sorry.

The Germany of TTL is probably a wierd hybrid of feudal and modern society. It is a place where a book-binders son can go to the highest place there is, and be recognised for it.
That is big. Kat even more so (on account that being a woman in the 1940ties was hard OTL), but in TTL it probably is considerably easier ("Dad, I will join the Pioniertruppe!" "Must it be the Heer? Can't you be like your mother and join the Luftwaffe? Must it be those illiterate footsloggers? *queue daughter saying something about "chairforce" and stomping out of the room*). Which is lacking an OTL analogy because they simply skipped the attempted rollback of the 1950ties. That - to us - wierd dynamic comes from that the traditional bastion of conservatism in Germany (the armed forces) is full of heroes from the lower classes (Horst, Emil, Schmidt) and that the Emperor himself is a man of the future. Which leads to the funny moment that the Reich will be dragged to glory, whether or not the Junkers want it...Great, now I think of the emperor as Wrex. Basically, they lack social or military support, while their opponents have more appeal that they could ever need. And, to be frank, they positions are not suited for the new world that is built.

I had one more thought, but I lost it. Alas.

A few decades later, in the above household:
Father: "Someone wants to talk to Hauptmann [familyname]"
Mother: "Specifiy branch, status, sex."
Father: " Navy, active...thats my son. Wait one *connectscall*" *tohiswife* "We did something wrong, none of our children went somewhere proper."

I think without any evidence, the CDU/CSU will win the election with the promise of a "Return to Normalcy".

With the acquisition of plutonium, the KWI is going to be surprised on the purity of the plutonium and while they will not use the "Teller Plutonium" for weapons they will test it for other things.

The new government will not have any of the same reservations that Chancellor Lang had on developing nuclear weapons and will get rid of any scientists at the Institute who will not work on the project.
I suspect that the German Government will likely retroenginner the device then make a test.

Unlike the Americans and their grand standing, the German Test or any future test will be DEEPLY underground and in a site where the only evidence of it will be an anomalous Seismic event that will leave geologists scratching their heads for decades.

Why? Because I can see their scientists pointing to the new German Government that having an ace in the pocket for the next war its only worth as long as the opposing side lacks one.

While a nuclear exhibition would show up the German power, it would be only a pain in the arse in long term as would goad the other powers into developing their own weapons.

Testing "Manhattan" underground would in a fell swoop let the Germans have an accurate analysis of the energy potential of a nuclear device, physics and Electromagnetic effects and confirm the level on which the American Nuclear Project stopped, and sell it to the new German Government to keep funding the own German project in the background, in order to refine the shoddy American device into something far smaller that can be put into either in a bomb bay of one of their new high altitude Bombers or the Warhead of a Rocket/Missile.

Because Nessa and Schultz both know, that even if the American Project crashed and burned, this its only a temporary delay......The British also have a similar project at a slower pace, and sooner or later someone in DC will push for the American Nuclear program to be retaken.... so they know that at best they got maybe 15 years, and at worst 10, before either the British or the American finally crack either how to build a Nuclear weapon or that their project was sabotaged in each respectively.

.... And in a cold, dry and dark underground basement or mine in Germany by then, there will be a room known to their Government as the "Pandora Room"...... it's contents only to see the light of the day when one of the other countries finally crossed the line in the case of Nuclear weapons.

Last edited:
I suspect that the German Government will likely retroenginner the device then make a test.

Unlike the Americans and their grand standing, the German Test or any future test will be DEEPLY underground and in a site where the only evidence of it will be an anomalous Seismic event that will leave geologists scratching their heads for decades.

Why? Because I can see their scientists pointing to the new German Government that having an ace in the pocket for the next war its only worth as long as the opposing side lacks one.

While a nuclear exhibition would show up the German power, it would be only a pain in the arse in long term as would goad the other powers into developing their own weapons.

Testing "Manhattan" underground would in a fell swoop let the Germans have an accurate analysis of the energy potential of a nuclear device, physics and Electromagnetic effects and confirm the level on which the American Nuclear Project stopped, and sell it to the new German Government to keep funding the own German project in the background, in order to refine the shoddy American device into something far smaller that can be put into either in a bomb bay of one of their new high altitude Bombers or the Warhead of a Rocket/Missile.

Because Nessa and Schultz both know, that even if the American Project crashed and burned, this its only a temporary delay......The British also have a similar project at a slower pace, and sooner or later someone in DC will push for the American Nuclear program to be retaken.... so they know that at best they got maybe 15 years, and at worst 10, before either the British or the American finally crack either how to build a Nuclear weapon or that their project was sabotaged in each respectively.

.... And in a cold, dry and dark underground basement or mine in Germany by then, there will be a room known to their Government as the "Pandora Room"...... it's contents only to see the light of the day when one of the other countries finally crossed the line in the case of Nuclear weapons.

In the near term I can see the Germans combining their own work, the information 'obtained' from Los Alamos and Teller's thing to build some gadgets of various sizes. Setting a half-dozen of them off on a bomb range with something like a stainless steel sphere in place of the Plutonium would validate the implosion design and the amount of density change that they could obtain. After that the problems become 'how can we tweak the design to use less supergrade Plutonium and still get an explosion, how much do we need and how do we make it?'