Jacob will be happily following his first loves - ELINT and cryptography - in addition to everything else. Maybe the Zuse people can come up with a computing device he can use to implement his supercipher, which sounds a lot like PGP.
Ohh.... Just wait to the moment in which someone mentions the words "Communication Satellites" to him.

The following week he would have somehow gotten the KLM into Von Braun's project to send first a satellite then a man into space.

More than likely Von Braun and Schmidt are likely to become friends, specially as Schmidt its the ONE figure in the German Leadership that fully grasp ALL of the potential implications of Space and more importantly, HOW to sell it to the Reichstag in a way that they can approve.

Von Braun also would enjoy that he can explain things in full detail and without dumbing stuff to a superior for once.

The doubt...would Serguéi Koroliov join also the German Space Program, or he would have chosen to go to the US?

Admiral von Schmidt may see being the Grand Admiral of the KLM as a career ender and with the leadership jobs for the next thirty years going to officers that served under him in the Pacific, he may think that he might have more influence with a sideways move as this timeline's Admiral Hyman Rickover: The Father of Germany's Nuclear Navy.

Admiral von Schmidt may see being the Grand Admiral of the KLM as a career ender and with the leadership jobs for the next thirty years going to officers that served under him in the Pacific, he may think that he might have more influence with a sideways move as this timeline's Admiral Hyman Rickover: The Father of Germany's Nuclear Navy.
He certainly sees it as the right position for him in the right moment.

At most a decade to fully reform the KLM into a Navy that the British are going to have a massive envy complex, officers who use their brains, the first Nuclear powered Carriers and Submarines.... and the final part of his career, likely stepping down from the KLM CoC and assuming the position of head of the German lead, European Space Project.....

chosen to go to the US
I don't think the Americans would let him in the country nevermind a military development program. If they even realize already that they will need him, they don't realize yet how much work will need to be done. I mean their rocket program just got started like last week. After they saw what the Germans can do.

So, what now?

The war with Japan is over and it seems that there will be peace for a bit at least in Europe. Asia has to deal with the after-effects of the Japanese war and there will be some minor and not so minor disagreements about who decides where to go next.

Decolonization will be something that the European powers will have to deal with, but with a little luck they might do a better job of it in this timeline.The lack of famine in India alone will have made quite a difference. (What is Gandhi up to right now?)

Vietnam and surrounding countries seems to be much better of at this point. Nothing like the Indochina wars or US-Vietnam wars in the future unless the French and other Europeans really screw things up.

In Korea we have the bandits in the north that Tilo never got around to capture (which we can assume include a certain Kim). Maybe Korea can skip a few decades of war and dictatorships and general mass deaths and reach a point close to what it has become OTL directly.

In China we have the resumption of the civil war to that the Japanese so rudely interrupted to deal with. Since Soviet Russia is gone, the Chinese communist are less likely to win this time, but nationalism may take its place as the locals are unlikely to be happy about foreigners giving independence to Taiwan and occupying cities like Hong-Kong, Macau and Tsingtao. Maybe divide and conquer along ethnic and cultural lines and splitting places like Mongolia of while granting the various parts of China more independence against each other might help here from a European POV.

In theory, as Europe has much more crowned heads this time around than it did in OTL and the republican US is not really involved, efforts could be made to create constitutional monarchies like at home. The problem is that the heirs of both the Chinese and Korean thrones have been subsumed by Japan and turned into Japanese. Installing Puyi and Yi Gu on these thrones would be very hard if their lives played out like in OTL up to this point. Maybe butterflies create more acceptable heirs ITL.

In any case it would behove the European powers to build up friends rather than enemies in Asia at this point. Industrializing and investing in the far-east like the Germans did in south Africa and Australia can help a lot if someone smart gets to make the decisions.

Meanwhile the US seems to be in a far weaker than in OTL. The lack of involvement in the equivalent of WWII will affect the culture a whole lot. Race relations are already pretty bad and we might see a return of the so called race-riots from earlier in the century (which were really pogroms in all but name in many cases). Fewer refugees from Europe fleeing anti-Semitism and fascism would hold back the development of a lot things that made the US what it is today. We might even see a brain drain in the arts and some sciences from the US into Europe which seems more liberated on a number of topics.

This US is less tolerant and open and the lack of the moral boost of 'winning WWII' will mean that it will never develop the national narrative of being the saviours of the free world or the world police or just simply the good guys. With Smedley Butler dieing in Verdun nobody warned them about war being a racket. Future US foreign military adventures are much more likely to be justified with some manifest destiny ideology than saving people from communism.

For now the US is mostly focused inward though and it doesn't look like that is going to be pretty.

The rest of the world instead of being dominated by two superpowers will find itself in a much more mulitpolar environment

A cold war equivalent between the weakened United States of America and the not very united states of Europe might break out eventually, but due to less ideological and cultural differences and the absences of the spectre of atomic bombs this is unlikely to be as sever.

But for now the US is busy with internal stuff and the European powers are tired of war and to broke to to do much right now. Europe might not be in ruins this time around but everyone is still very much deeply in debt.

Germany will need to spend a lot to rebuild everything in east Prussia, Poland, the Ukraine and Russia. It will be expensive but less so than it would be to allow these places to fall into unrest. Using the tarns-Siberian railroad loaded with rockets instead of aircraft carriers for power projection at least will be cheaper and serve civilian purposes too.

Lang's successor will need to spend quite a lot of money on reintegrating veterans and rebuilding all the non-war related industries that were neglected during the war.

Lang himself will have to find something to do in his retirement. The positions of head of state that might otherwise be fitting for an elder statesman is in the timeline taken by the emperor and not an elected position so that is out. There is not supernational organisation like the EU or UN right now and since Lang was kicked out by his own people he is unlikely to be nominated for any such institution if one should be created.

The only thing left for him is to get back to his roots and get involved with charities and NGOs perhaps to help veterans and workers and stuff like that, since it seems likely that his successors will not be able to perfectly solve all the coming troubles.

There won't be enough money to go around for everything that needs to be funded and conditions seem bad for the sort of economical miracle that west Germany had in OTL after the war.

Monetary considerations will require Germany to sit out the next few wars if they can.

All this might spell doom for the whole space race thing. Rockets as everyone will have seen in Japan are a good thing to have, but getting funding to conquer space based on that won't be easy for everyone. Von Braun will have a head start but Germany won't likely be able to pay him to put a man on the moon anytime soon.

We might see the equivalent of Sputnik, naturally called "Trabant" because it will be a German satellite (and having a marque of German luxury sport cars named after it) a few years early. But then it might not go much further.

A German Weltraumfahrer who has the right stuff to replace Yuri Gagarin might come along on schedule and eventually a Woman in space too. I would need to be somebody who likes jumping out of airplanes. (Kat would be both too tall and old likely but maybe one of the girls she is inspiring or training might take a likening to jumping out of airplanes.)

One way of increasing funding for this might be to get ESA started a lot earlier. The Russians had their "Interkosmos" where they send up cosmonauts from allied countries up into space for propaganda and diplomatic reasons. We might see something like this here eventually with pretty much the same players: Poland and other eastern European countries, Vietnam, France... Maybe there will even be a few familiar names. Eventually that could be extended to a European Space Agency that shares the cost of sending a man to the moon to ensure that the Americans don't do it first.

Depending on the state and future of German colonial possession we might well see some people from there come up into space too. In OTL the Russians send the first Black cosmonaut up long before NASA send up an African American Astronaut. With race relations being as they appear to be going in the US, sending someone from a (former) German African colony up into space would be something that would send all sorts of signals to the US population.

So that might be a way to go forward.

Last edited:
Part 40, Chapter 513
Chapter Five Hundred Thirteen

25th December 1945

Montreal

Margot’s surprise at Katherine’s social connections had worn off. By Christmas Dinner she was back to sniping at Kat who was in turn annoyed by Douglas’ continued meekness in the face of his mother. Yes, Katherine had promised that she would be on her best behavior for this trip but that was growing increasingly difficult for her. Currently Katherine and Douglas were on the back porch trying to keep what was an increasingly heated argument that both of them were trying to keep quiet. For Malcolm the problem was that he was getting a clearer picture of Katherine’s abilities and the realization the Margot was a small dog nipping at a very large bear.

Katherine had done a good job exposing how far his agency had to come. The message that she had sent his men had been loud and clear, don’t mess with me because you are not in my league. Those four shots could have just as easily ended up in their heads and no one would have been the wiser. It had confirmed a few things that had been suspected, her pistol was a Walther Police Model in 7.65mm which was issued by the Luftwaffe. The cartridges found on the scene and slugs found in the tree trunk had been for heavy sub-sonic loads according to the experts. Good for nasty close in work. Part of the problem that Malcolm had was the tap dancing around exactly where those slugs and cartridges had come from.

Malcolm was currently debating as to whether or not it would be a good idea to bring Katherine on as a consultant. While she might not be too happy that it had in fact been Malcolm’s men who had followed her around the city it would give her somewhere to go during the remaining week and a half she had remaining in Canada. He figured that if Katherine spent it in this house then he would find himself in the position of a dog owner with their pet running back towards them pursued by an angry bear.

The back door opened, and Douglas walked in, alone.

“Where’s Katherine?” Malcolm asked.

“She told me that she’s having a hard time figuring out how a man who earned the respect of soldiers in the field as a correspondent is allowing his mother to treat him like a child” Douglas replied, “Then she stomped off.”

“She does have a point” Malcolm said.

Doug stared at Malcolm unsure how to respond.

“Your mother pushes until someone pushes back” Malcolm said, “And your girlfriend is not the sort to take shit from anyone, but she’s been taking it on the chin since she got here because she doesn’t want to start a fight she can’t win.”

“Just how would you know that Dad?” Douglas asked.

“It doesn’t matter” Malcolm replied, “But you need to figure out what you want here or else you’ll have an extremely interesting woman giving you the boot.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Norton and John were sitting in the car on call in case they were needed. They had gotten the worst assignments since the ambush in the park. The terms that had been used were that they had fallen for a trick that wouldn’t have fooled a boy scout. That included working on Christmas. Their instructions were simple, if the German girl left the house keep an eye on her and not to give her an excuse to shoot them.

The back door of the car opened, and Kat sat down, catching Norton’s eye in the rearview mirror, she said “Drive.”

“What’re you doing?” John asked, “You’re not supposed to be here.”

“I’m sure that your orders are to watch me” Kat said, “Your job just got a whole lot easier.”

“Give us one good reason why we should play taxi?” Norton asked turning around in his seat.

“Your sort doesn’t get to ask questions” Kat replied curtly.

“What sort is that?” Norton demanded.

The look on her face suggested that they really didn’t want an answer to that question.

Eventually Kat just sighed. “I need to get away from here” She said, “Can you please just help me with that.”

“What’s your deal” John asked, “The other day you practically ran us off at gun point and now you want us to drive you.”

“It sounds to be me like you already know who’s in charge” Kat said.

Norton put the car in gear and pulled out into the street. There was really nowhere to go, with everything being closed tonight. There was a dynamic that was also at play here. If they caused her too much trouble it was a whole lot easier to get at someone from the back seat.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Your little friend ran off?” Margot asked, Doug noticed that she seemed totally satisfied what that. She thought that this was a victory. At that second, he regretted defending his mother like he had when he’d been arguing with Kat.

“Don’t do this” Doug said, “Kat’s a good person if you would just give her a chance.”

“No, she isn’t” Margot replied, “Have you any idea of the things she’s done.”

“She was in the military, Mom” Doug said, “Germany was fighting for national survival. It would be if you had the US Army blasting into Montreal and everyone had to do their part.”

“Before even that” Margot said, “I read up on that girl when I found out who she is.”

Margot then looked over her shoulder to make sure that no one was listening in on their conversation. She whispered like if she was mentioning something unspeakable, “She’s had an abortion, did you know?” It was all Doug could do not to slap his mother across the face at that moment.

“She told her story to a journalist, who published it because heartless moral scolds threatened to selectively leak that story leaving details out” Doug said firmly, “Like what you just did.”

“You knew?” Margot asked.

“Of course, I knew” Doug said, anger creeping into his voice, “I told her that no one blamed her for what happened, she was still a child. It turns out I was wrong.”

Margot was staring at Doug, she was starting to realize that she had overplayed her hand.

“If you bring this up with her or continue to antagonize her then you shouldn’t expect me to stop her when she finally hits back” Doug said, “As was pointed out before she was in the SKA, pray that you never learn what that means.”

Margot’s surprise at Katherine’s social connections had worn off. By Christmas Dinner she was back to sniping at Kat who was in turn annoyed by Douglas’ continued meekness in the face of his mother. Yes, Katherine had promised that she would be on her best behavior for this trip but that was growing increasingly difficult for her. Currently Katherine and Douglas were on the back porch trying to keep what was an increasingly heated argument that both of them were trying to keep quiet. For Malcolm the problem was that he was getting a clearer picture of Katherine’s abilities and the realization the Margot was a small dog nipping at a very large bear.
Muhahahaha!!!
“Of course, I knew” Doug said, anger creeping into his voice, “I told her that no one blamed her for what happened, she was still a child. It turns out I was wrong.”

Margot was staring at Doug, she was starting to realize that she had overplayed her hand.

“If you bring this up with her or continue to antagonize her then you shouldn’t expect me to stop her when she finally hits back” Doug said, “As was pointed out before she was in the SKA, pray that you never learn what that means.”
You know, for a minute there, I kinda wish that Margot would bring this up to Kat.

Then my vengeful mind gives way to compassion, for Kat and Doug, and I really rather hope she gets over herself.

Muhahahaha!!!
You know, for a minute there, I kinda wish that Margot would bring this up to Kat.

Then my vengeful mind gives way to compassion, for Kat and Doug, and I really rather hope she gets over herself.
No... Actually I'm in a way feeling pity for Margot.

Because until that moment, her son treated her like someone who he respected and loved. After THIS?

Doug may still love her as a mother, but ANY shred of respect that he held for her as a parent and moral figure just shriveled and died.

And that if either Doug or Margot herself, worried about the consequences with her son, do alert Malcom about Margot's SNAFU.

I suspect that Margot it's going to be haunted in 10 or 20 years more, as she will remember how these words signaled the start of the breakdown of her ideal life... because she HAD to be a bitch.

The main danger for Doug is going to be when Kat finds out who his father works for.
WHY he would be in danger? If anything Kat would be putting a hand in her forehead and wondering how to tell Doug, her dear, kind and understanding CIVILIAN Boyfriend, (IF telling him AT ALL) that his dear "Retired" Father (That she ALSO finds a decent and respectable Human Being) its in fact the "Boss Spook" of the Canucks. . . .

. . .That is NOT the kind of Revelation talk what you want to have with your boyfriend, and also you know how such secrets tend to blow in your face.

“Before even that” Margot said, “I read up on that girl when I found out who she is.”

Margot then looked over her shoulder to make sure that no one was listening in on their conversation. She whispered like if she was mentioning something unspeakable, “She’s had an abortion, did you know?” It was all Doug could do not to slap his mother across the face at that moment.

“She told her story to a journalist, who published it because heartless moral scolds threatened to selectively leak that story leaving details out” Doug said firmly, “Like what you just did.”

What....wait? So, Kat is not a proper lady because she was raped, therefore a proper lady would have had the baby who was a product of rape?????

that is what I am getting here from the mother...

I don't think the Americans would let him in the country nevermind a military development program. If they even realize already that they will need him, they don't realize yet how much work will need to be done. I mean their rocket program just got started like last week. After they saw what the Germans can do.
And you JUST answered yourself WHY they would let Koroliev in first point.

They JUST saw the Germans firing from near unthinkable distances to the American experience Rockets with an advanced form of guidance, carrying loadouts that CAN kill entire Divisions and Cities, and at speeds that NO current defense method can intercept to the date. While the Newspapers were sprouting their rhetoric, i can assure you that a LOT of people in DC, Politicians and Military Leadership got paler as hell, enraged or such, and are now screaming to each other "WHY THE HELL THEY GOT THOSE WEAPONS" followed by "HOW SOON WE CAN ALSO GET STUFF LIKE THAT!?

But there is a little problem. . . . the best American Expert in Rocketry, Robert Goddard, who was derided and laughed for his ambitions to reach the stars. . .its likely dead by now. . .in OTL died in August 10 1945, due to Throat Cancer. Here is highly unlikely that he received as much interest of the US Government considering the neutrality posture and such. And the Americans, who started "last Week" like you helpfully pointed, are more than desperate enough to likely BUY for a King's ransom , and American Citizenship the services and knowledge of Koroliev, who survived the NKVD Gulags, and was a KEY designer in the Liquid Combustible rocketry systems of Russia and it would be the best to understand Goddard's leftover knowledge and documentation, and bring into existence a Rocket weapon comparable to the German Missiles even if less advanced in Guidance and such in a short time compared to the unimpeded German Projects. . .

Last edited:
What....wait? So, Kat is not a proper lady because she was raped, therefore a proper lady would have had the baby who was a product of rape?????

that is what I am getting here from the mother...

I think that was a common attitude back in the day, blaming the woman for stuff like that. Hell, it’s common today in some places.

I think that was a common attitude back in the day, blaming the woman for stuff like that. Hell, it’s common today in some places.
I get that it was common, its just the idea that "you should still have the baby, even if it is a product of rape" that gets to me.

Probably more the way the mother is categorized.

I get that it was common, its just the idea that "you should still have the baby, even if it is a product of rape" that gets to me.

Probably more the way the mother is categorized.

Peabody even mentioned specifically that Kat's abortion wasn't even because of the rape, but because she medically wasn't expected survive childbirth being barely sexually mature, so there's not even that ethical dimension. It really highlights Margot's bigotry and the cultural ridiculousness of blaming a 12 year old like this. It's not even sound Christian doctrine (/rant).

One thing to note is that it's very relevant that this is in Montreal with a Quebecois mother, as the abortion issue was limited in scope and it was not very opposed among Protestant circles (even fundamentalist ones in that era - even until the 1970s). It was pretty much just the Catholics who were anti-abortion.

Last edited:

Md139115

Banned
Peabody even mentioned specifically that Kat's abortion wasn't even because of the rape, but because she medically wasn't expected survive childbirth being barely sexually mature, so there's not even that ethical dimension. It really highlights Margot's bigotry and the cultural ridiculousness of blaming a 12 year old like this. It's not even sound Christian doctrine (/rant).

One thing to note is that it's very relevant that this is in Montreal with a Quebecois mother, as the abortion issue was limited in scope and opposition among Protestant circles (even fundamentalist ones in that era - even until the 1970s). It was pretty much Catholics who were anti-abortion.

And still are. Honestly, I think only the fact that he did mention the fact that the "mother's" health would have been severely endangered by carrying to term is preventing some of my fellow pro-lifers with less tact from spamming this thread.

Actually I wasn't clear, until the 1970s (Francis Schaeffer), even most fundamentalist Protestants didn't give a lot of thought to abortion, hence why I was commenting on the extra dose of accuracy of this post. Since then, obviously, things have taken a different turn.

I think that the main objection that Margot has is not the abortion in and of itself, but that it is publicly known.
That sort of things is in her mind is not to be acknowledged.