It looks like the RCMP may have some leverage on Kat...
Actually, they have pretty much nothing.

She put a drunk punk in his site with non lethal if painful methods, and neither of the trio would ever admit that a woman made them run like little bitches.

Outside of that it can be tightly discussed in how she broke Abwehr protective protocols considering that she made contact with the remaining family of her direct charge, and the main threats against said charge are either dead, soon to be dead or do not have interest nor consider Jehane a threat.

The most that could happen to the Abwehr learning of Kat's break of procedures would be a metaphorical slap in the wrist and a tedious Procedure review meeting with Schultz.

Kat more than likely already got the clue that there were local people dogging her steps, and she more than likely LET THEM see her, in order to state that she wasn't doing anything untoward.

Furthermore Malcom likely has NO desire to implicate his son into the world where he works, or cause a screw up.

Finally, the RCMP obeys above all, the orders of the King of England, and to this point, Katherine Von Mischner is an Allied VIP that has done reiterated services to the Crown.

So unless she gets a real bad case of "Whitman Fever" or something equally odd, the RCMP is under strict orders to observe only and do not contact.

Last edited:
Finally, the RCMP obeys above all, the orders of the King of England, and to this point, Katherine Von Mischner is an Allied VIP that has done reiterated services to the Crown.

Point of order: The King of the UK has no authority in Canada. That particular individual also happens to occasionally moonlight as the King of Canada, who also does not have the authority to bypass the Canadian government and in fact has only symbolic authority.

In OTL the RCMP Special Branch became the RCMP Security Service which was eventually disbanded when its illegal activities came to light. It had a considerable problem with obeying government orders and the law in its pursuit of subversives.

Note that she's travelling on a diplomatic passport and has diplomatic immunity. AFAIK if she violates Canada's laws they can A) declare her persona non grata and expel her from the counry; B) ask Germany to waive her immunity so she can be tried in Canada; C) get Germany to recall her and try her in German court; or D) do nothing. In this case I don't think they'd do anything.
Any action except D would just create an international scandal with an Allied power for no gain.
Katherine's status as an intelligence operative is pretty much an open secret by now, so they can't threaten the Germans with outing her. Germany and the Imperial family in particular won't accept B, and the British Government will also be displeased.
Unless Kat does something too insulting and outrageous to be swept under the rug, the Canadian relevant agencies would simply let her be, as it simply wouldn't benefit them in any conceivable way to poke the Adler at this time or in this way.

Part 40, Chapter 511
Chapter Five Hundred Eleven

20th December 1945

Berlin

This was how the end came, Lang thought to himself. As he looked out the window of his office, sipping a drink.

Somewhere along the line things had caught up with him, the war was at an end and to his surprise he had reached the end of the thread as well. If the entire war had ended when the Russian Theater had, then things would have been different. Instead the Pacific War had dragged on for months and he had ordered Quartum. The right-wing opposition was crying crocodile tears over the massive civilian loss of life that had entailed. As if they had ever shown much concern for the lives of foreigners.

With the victory in the Pacific the Social Democratic Party had decided to call for snap elections. That, however had not included Augustus Lang, the prevailing theory was that if the election became a referendum on Lang himself then the odds were good that they would probably lose. “You were the leader that we needed at the time, but it’s no longer that time” were the terms that were being used. At forty-eight Lang was hardly an old man but for the first time in decades he felt like he had no direction. The last time he’d felt this way was when he had first returned from Verdun. Then Emil Holz had come around and jokingly told him that he should go into politics because he had an opinion about everything.

Emil was going to be fine, he had been awarded the Grand Cross of the Pour le Mérite. The highest award that a military officer could receive. Lang had seen a memo cross his desk that Manfred von Richthofen’s retirement was pending. That meant that the Luftwaffe would have totally new leadership by the end of next year. Emil Holz was on the shortlist to be the new Commander in Chief at the OKL. That ought to be interesting, with the new mission of the Luftwaffe someone was needed who was unbound by orthodoxy while still having a sense of tradition. Emil was perfect for the job.

Political currents were also swirling around Jacob von Schmidt. The Reichstag had been watching Jacob as he had fought in his isolated command for years. Now they looked nervously at the cult of personality that had built up around him and his genius. They were going about the simplest way to bring him to heel. Erich Raeder was also on his way out the door and von Schmidt was considered his most likely replacement as the CoC of the Kaiserliche Marine. As Grand Admiral Jacob von Schmidt would be required to return to Germany and spend the rest of his career working out of Kiel and Wilhelmshaven, directly under the supervision of the Chancellor and Reichstag. Lang personally thought that they were underestimating Jacob. He would be perfectly happy shaping the direction of the Fleet for the years to come.

Walter Horst was finally taking his overdue retirement.

Not a bad run for some mud grubbing Soldaten from Verdun, Lang thought to himself.

Montreal

Kat had been feeling restless after she had finished her letter to Nancy Jensen. Nancy had just completed her first term at the University of Washington and was struggling to make the adjustment. Kat had written her usual letter of encouragement and had gone at length about her travels to Montreal, wishing that it was closer to Seattle. Finally, she had enough so she’d gone running. Over the prior two days a storm had swept through, blizzard conditions, keeping everyone indoors. She was annoyed with how Douglas behaved around his family. Doctor Holz had warned her that this could happen, everyone played a role within families and Doug would probably resume his. The man she had known in Berlin would not have tolerated his Mother’s grousing, she wished that he would stand up to her. The worst part was that she could feel the shadows of her depression starting to creep into the edges of her mind.

She had discovered that exercise was the only thing that helped. The rhythmic crunch of snow under the soles of her boots as the hobnails bit into the icy crust and the warmth of the low winter sun were the medicine that she needed. The park was wooded, when she looked at the bare branches of the trees she could imagine that this place was probably beautiful in the summertime.

Kat stopped for a moment to try to get her baring and heard the crunch of a footstep in the snow somewhere nearby. Whoever the Canadians had minding her was good at keeping out of sight, far better than the Australians had been, but they were hardly perfect. The way they had tracked her through the park when she had gone running here reminded her of the Jägers who Thorwald had trained. She had endured a couple weeks of that training, earning what Thorwald had said was a barely passible grade, too much a creature of the city had been his assessment. Still she had learned a lot of useful things that had served her well in Belarus. Before she left Canada, she would need to one up her invisible minders.

When she arrived back at the house, she found Emma looking at a magazine with a sly smile on her face and Margot looking at her dumbfounded. “Is this for real?” Emma asked, showing Kat the photographs in the magazine. They were from the prior summer before she had left for Russia, Kat couldn’t help but smile, that had been a good day. It was of Elizabeth, Kat, and Gerta as they went about learning to drive a Panther. The one that Emma was looking at had Elizabeth in the commander’s cupola and Kat standing in the loaders hatch.

“Elizabeth wanted to learn to drive a Panzer, so I arranged that with Gerta’s friend Kurt” Kat said, “Gerta is the blond and Kurt is the Cavalry Officer.”

“This is so amazing” Emma said, “You’re really friends with the Princess of York?”

“I was the one who put her forward to be inducted into the Order of Louise” Kat answered, “Being a Dame Commander has its advantages.”

Kat saw the look on Emma’s face, she really hoped that this wouldn’t turn into another case of hero worship.

So Margot Blackwood it's in polite terms feeling the mental equivalent of her world views and beliefs being subject to a full alpha strike from a battleship.

She likely its over the anger , "she is NOT a proper woman" and other mental phases, and it's likely coming up to terms that she's purely over her head in this, and likely it's going to talk with her husband Malcom of how to step further without potentially causing a row with her son, who she sees that its tense with her treatment of his girlfriend.

So barely 48 and out of the Reichstag? No problem.... and JUST its needed someone to coordinate (read running head in the herding of cats) with the other Allied nations through the creation of an organization that could bring international relationships into a better stage and prevent conflicts, something in that Sjostedt had a hand but now needs a professional politician to run.

Augustus Lang, General Secretary of the United Nations.... i give him two terms to the head, before his party calls him back to Germany ASAP as the Right government after him likely finds themselves with the nice surprise that the Germany that they believed in, and the REAL Germany post War were different as night and day, and their measures are pretty much pissing off most of the society.

Last edited:
Kat stopped for a moment to try to get her baring and heard the crunch of a footstep in the snow somewhere nearby. Whoever the Canadians had minding her was good at keeping out of sight, far better than the Australians had been, but they were hardly perfect. The way they had tracked her through the park when she had gone running here reminded her of the Jägers who Thorwald had trained. She had endured a couple weeks of that training, earning what Thorwald had said was a barely passible grade, too much a creature of the city had been his assessment. Still she had learned a lot of useful things that had served her well in Belarus. Before she left Canada, she would need to one up her invisible minders.

Remaining out of sight and sound while tracking someone when there is snow on the ground is hard, very hard. Especially if it's right after a Canadian blizzard. I wouldn't think Kat would running so much as shuffling. I live near the border, and a blizzard that is enough to keep a Canadian indoors probably means a meter plus of snow.

Walter Horst was finally taking his overdue retirement.

And in one office of Berlin, Heer High Command.......

WHAT DO YOU (BEEP)ING MEAN THAT THE OTHER MARSHALL ARE EITHER TOO OLD AND SOON TO RETIRE OR TOO YOUNG AND RADICALS!?

WHAT!? THAT (BEEP) ING SON OF A GOAT (BEEP)ER VON WOLVOGLE LEFT A POSTMORTEM WILL STATING THAT IF I REACHED THE RANK BY THE END OF THE WAR HE SEVERELY SUGGESTED TO NAME ME THE CIC OF THE HEER BECAUSE THE POLITICIANS WOULD BE TOO AFRAID OF PISS ME OFF!? (BEEEEEEP)....

I hope that Eugen Faust makes an appearance at the "Cease Fire" ceremony with his cameras and we get an update about him and Nessa.
I also can see Walter Horst giving Furst the "Look" if he points his cameras in his directions.

Last edited:
And in one office of Berlin, Heer High Command.......

WHAT DO YOU (BEEP)ING MEAN THAT THE OTHER MARSHALL ARE EITHER TOO OLD AND SOON TO RETIRE OR TOO YOUNG AND RADICALS!?

WHAT!? THAT (BEEP) ING SON OF A GOAT (BEEP)ER VON WOLVOGLE LEFT A POSTMORTEM WILL STATING THAT IF I REACHED THE RANK BY THE END OF THE WAR HE SEVERELY SUGGESTED TO NAME ME THE CIC OF THE HEER BECAUSE THE POLITICIANS WOULD BE TOO AFRAID OF PISS ME OFF!? (BEEEEEEP)....

My memory is failing me - who would this be since it's not Horst? Kurt's not even close to the rank needed.

Well Lang can take some time off and write his memoirs How I Won the War and then do some traveling.

He can get a lecturing post at the University of Jena and just wait for the call for him to come back help the party.

Also the Emperor can award him the civil version of the PLM which was started in 1740.

My memory is failing me - who would this be since it's not Horst? Kurt's not even close to the rank needed.
It was a gag.

Consider how many times Von Wolvogle dragged Horst into the middle of a lot of weird Shit. The dawn of the Panzer Korps, the pissing break during the Civilian mobilizations that saw Lang's rise to the Political scene, then he pulling Horst from the 140's command and into the Generals ranks, and his further rise into the ranks during the Asian Front.

To this point, while he WANTS TO retire, Walter Horst it's practically a mythical figure for the Heer, the epitome of the Hardass of Hardasses, and ironically, many in the Heer knew him as the individual who shaped Von Wolvogle's crazy tactics and put them into a proper fashion for the Junkers and the rest of the Heer.

If the OKW is going reform the Heer into the equivalent of a proper Modern Army but following German traditions, you need someone who understands how to balance changes, traditions, craziness and common sense, and Walter Horst is the best of them.

As things go, i suspect that they will give him a yearly sabbatical then tell him to direct the axe Brigade when the time comes to do the definitive cuts and reforms to make the definitive structure of the Heer post War

It was a gag.

Consider how many times Von Wolvogle dragged Horst into the middle of a lot of weird Shit. The dawn of the Panzer Korps, the pissing break during the Civilian mobilizations that saw Lang's rise to the Political scene, then he pulling Horst from the 140's command and into the Generals ranks, and his further rise into the ranks during the Asian Front.

To this point, while he WANTS TO retire, Walter Horst it's practically a mythical figure for the Heer, the epitome of the Hardass of Hardasses, and ironically, many in the Heer knew him as the individual who shaped Von Wolvogle's crazy tactics and put them into a proper fashion for the Junkers and the rest of the Heer.

If the OKW is going reform the Heer into the equivalent of a proper Modern Army but following German traditions, you need someone who understands how to balance changes, traditions, craziness and common sense, and Walter Horst is the best of them.

As things go, i suspect that they will give him a yearly sabbatical then tell him to direct the axe Brigade when the time comes to do the definitive cuts and reforms to make the definitive structure of the Heer post War
So, basically, Walter Horst has the same retirement deal as Commissar Ciaphas Cain?

I take my hat of to our esteemed author. I have been so dumb that I have only just twigged the reference/nod to Douglas Reeman Via his book 'The Horizon'. That and all the other nuanced references and link ups ids one reason among many why I think this is one of the finest ATL around, Bravo sir, Bravo

Part 40, Chapter 512
Chapter Five Hundred Twelve

23rd December 1945

Montreal

Malcolm couldn’t help but be amused. These were men who had lived and worked throughout the Canadian wilderness and they had trouble with a woman in a park. It was hardly a surprise that she would dislike being followed but that had resulted in their latest problem. It seemed that she wasn’t unduly burdened by knee deep snow and deeper drifts making it very difficult to observe her unseen and she had also somehow caught on to the presence of her minders.

“I don’t know how she did it, Sir” Corporal Norton said, “We were following her tracks in the snow and they just ended…”

----------------------------------------------------------------

Blake Norton was walking through the overgrown park looking at the widely spaced footprints. The boots that the German woman was wearing had rows of steel hobnails and a steel rim around the heel. Exactly like the boots his father had described German soldiers wearing in France decades earlier, the basic pattern hadn’t changed. He could hear John complaining about the situation under his breath a few paces behind him.

“Why couldn’t the boss send us trailing a woman who likes shopping instead?” John asked.

“I thought that this sort of thing is what Métis types did” Norton replied.

“Piss off, Norton” John growled.

The truth was that John had lived most of his life in Toronto before becoming a Constable in the Mounties which had taken him out of the city. Hardly the tracker or fur trapper his Grandfather might have been. That didn’t stop Norton from needling him over it.

Norton was still chuckling when the footsteps in the snow abruptly came to a stop. Uh-oh, echoed through his mind. He looked around, just trees and snow. The only noise was wind through the trees and distant traffic. He was aware of the sound of blood rushing in his ears and his breath smoking in the cold. There was a snap of a twig nearby. Norton turned in that direction, nothing there. He stepped cautiously in that direction, John fell into step behind him.

They had only walked a few steps through the trees when they heard the metal on metal snick of a pistol being cocked…

“Did you figure out what she did?” Malcolm asked.

Malcolm figured that it was probably something simple. Anything too complex would have been seen in the moment or so that she was out of their sight.

“We never had a chance” Norton said, “Are you going to do something?”

“Do what?” Malcolm asked, “Baroness von Mischner owns that pistol legally and she was followed through a public park by two strange men. Even the strictest Magistrate will laugh his head off if you bring this matter before him.”

“It was what happened next” Norton said, “We had to identify ourselves, but we didn’t tell her more than that.”

“She has a great deal of experience” Malcolm replied, “And are you aware of what the SIS said she’s studying at University?”

“No, Sir” Norton answered.

“Psychology” Malcolm said, “She reads people, gets inside their heads so you probably told her more than you intended.”

Kat could hear them crunching through the snow about a hundred or so meters behind her. She had stopped running and listened. Thorwald had told her of a trick that might work if they weren’t particularly observant. She walked backwards on her footprints, any second she expected that the two men she’d spotted following her would come around the bend and wonder why she was doing this. Getting close to some bushes she dove behind them and crawled through the snow towards the trees.

A few minutes later two men came down the path, talking between themselves. Kat peeked around the trunk of the tree she was hiding behind. They were of a particular type that she’d gotten to know well over the years, the banter and world weariness that came from being policemen. She understood that Canada was its own nation, with its own traditions and institutions. She would have been disappointed if the Government hadn’t reacted to her presence somehow. A couple days before the men who had followed her had been unseen and barely heard, these two came across like amateurs.

That was when nature itself betrayed her, a piece of deadfall under the snow gave way under her right foot. Causing them to turn her way. She ducked back behind the tree and heard the sound of footsteps coming closer. Controlling her breathing she willed herself to be as still as possible. The two men stomped through the snow right past where Kat was hiding. She was in shadow, with her grey coveralls and the black knit cap covering her hair she was difficult to see in the half-light under the trees.

Any second now they would notice that she was here. She drew the pistol from inside of her coveralls and was annoyed by how quickly her hands were getting numb as she screwed the suppressor over the muzzle. She thumbed the hammer back and both the men froze.

“That’s far enough” Kat said in English, “Credentials, NOW!”

She debated for a moment as to whether or not she should repeat the command in French when they pulled out wallets out of their pockets. She gave silent thanks that neither of these two men were stupid enough to reach for a gun.

Taking the wallets, she saw that both these men were from the RCMP, a Constable John Kawacatoose, a name that she wouldn’t try to pronounce and Corporal Blake Norton.

“Who brings a gun when they go for run, anyway?” Norton asked.

“A woman who knows she’s being followed” Kat said as she handed their wallets back. “Tell your boss that he needs to find better help.” Then she fired four shots into a tree trunk to send a message. This wasn’t a game.

Last edited:
Ahh, how cute..... Rookie Hazing...... the poor idiots did not got the clue that after this Malcom it's going to have to send their sorry butts to extra training.......

..... That will be when the pair will be cursing in English French and whatever Indian dialect they know.....

Political currents were also swirling around Jacob von Schmidt. The Reichstag had been watching Jacob as he had fought in his isolated command for years. Now they looked nervously at the cult of personality that had built up around him and his genius. They were going about the simplest way to bring him to heel. Erich Raeder was also on his way out the door and von Schmidt was considered his most likely replacement as the CoC of the Kaiserliche Marine. As Grand Admiral Jacob von Schmidt would be required to return to Germany and spend the rest of his career working out of Kiel and Wilhelmshaven, directly under the supervision of the Chancellor and Reichstag. Lang personally thought that they were underestimating Jacob. He would be perfectly happy shaping the direction of the Fleet for the years to come.

Jacob will be happily following his first loves - ELINT and cryptography - in addition to everything else. Maybe the Zuse people can come up with a computing device he can use to implement his supercipher, which sounds a lot like PGP.

“I don’t know how she did it, Sir” Corporal Norton said, “We were following her tracks in the snow and they just ended…”

They had only walked a few steps through the trees when they heard the metal on metal snick of a pistol being cocked…

“Who brings a gun when they go for run, anyway?” Norton asked.

“A woman who knows she’s being followed” Kat said as she handed their wallets back. “Tell your boss that he needs to find better help.” Then she fired four shots into a tree trunk to send a message. This wasn’t a game.

Everyone on Malcom's team needs more training. These two got ambushed in a park. The rest lost her in the city and only picked her up again because they guessed where she was going.

Everyone on Malcom's team needs more training. These two got ambushed in a park. The rest lost her in the city and only picked her up again because they guessed where she was going.

Mind, you are talking about a Counter Intelligence Division that only has been in existence for a little less than five years finding themselves ruining the vacation of a skilled operative.