Did Tilo just command the forces that captured the Japanese emperor? If so he's got to be in line for some shiny silverware, even if only political reasons. Could find himself in the papers and newsreels as well.

Dame Grand Cross (GCB) Order of the bath, would leave the thistle and garter awards if Liz decides to chuck her a couple more later.

Okay, the top medal awarded to members of non-Comonwealth forces.
That would be the Order of the Knights Garter, Order of St. Patrick, and Order of The Thistle for English, Irish, and Scottish. PM should totally go for the Thistle, it's motto is Nemo me impune lacessit or No one provokes me with impunity. That plus her personal heraldry makes it a perfect fit.

With a little whispering in Princes Elizabeth's ear by a certain Mr Fleming (and do not tell the PM that Fleming could not engineer such an encounter) then perhaps Kate gets an invitation via Kira to visit Balmoral, where the King just happens to invest her in the Order of the Thistle for services to the nation and Royal Family. Fleming ITTL would do it just to hack Kate off!

The downside is what Kat would hack off of Mr Flemming in return... x'D

I'd still like to know where Kat's ultimate interrogation technique came from. It's quite diabiolical: instead of "tell me or I'll cut your balls off," it's "I'm gonna cut one of your balls off just to show you I mean business then I'm gonna cut the other one off if you don't tell me. Which do you prefer to lose, the left or the right?"

Part 40, Chapter 502
Chapter Five Hundred Two

22nd November 1945

Berlin

Lang couldn’t believe that it had worked. Jacob von Schmidt had cut a deal with the Imperial Japanese Navy. In return for getting the Japanese Emperor to safety they had turned on the Imperial Japanese Army. Lang also understood that this would put the IJN in the position to write the first draft of history with the shelling of the IJA High Command as an incredible exclamation point. The surviving Generals however were not sitting still as this happened. They were understandably not happy about getting painted as traitors who had been holding the Emperor hostage while they steered Japan on a disastrous course. The result was that Japan was falling into civil war.

The Japanese Imperial family had been guests of the of the Kaiserliche Marine aboard the SMS Voss for the last couple days. The SMY Hohenzollern IV was to rendezvous with the allied fleet in the coming week, which meant that they would be in much more comfortable surroundings. That also would make it easier for planned meeting between Louis Ferdinand and Hirohito. It was hoped that it would help achieve a lasting peace without the millions of casualties that continuing with Quartum would have inevitably resulted in.

The rub was that everyone had a motivation to keep the full story under wraps. Emil Holz and Jacob von Schmidt would get credit for winning the war, but the more complex reality could result in Jacob getting court martialed and taint the brilliant campaign Emil had waged over the summer and fall. Lang would need to keep quiet for the same reasons. He was reminded of the story that Emil had told him about what had happened with then Oberst Manfred von Wolvogle in the weeks following the Battle of Ussy-sur-Marne when he had been Court Martialed for gross insubordination and assaulting a superior officer. The High Command had given him what amounted to a slap on the wrist. It was because the Heer not only needed a victory and hero, they needed a narrative to sell to the public at a moment when the war was starting to go badly. Lang perfectly understood the position that they had found themselves in.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It was a week day so with the exception of Petia everyone else was off doing other things. Kat was meeting with Peter in the sitting room of her house. Autumn was giving way to winter and there was the smell of snow in the air, which made this warm room inviting. Peter was sitting in the old armchair. Kat was sitting across from him in the grey light next to the window one the sofa. It was the exact same spot where Peter had seen her months earlier. The difference was that wasn’t totally out of her head this time. Naturally, that was exactly what she wanted to talk about.

“I was watching raindrops land in the puddle just out there” Kat said, “The ripples didn’t stop at the water’s edge but echoed… everywhere, carrying me along. That sounds silly, doesn’t it?”

“Not really” Peter replied, “The drugs you were on frequently result in auditory and visual hallucinations.”

“It was just a feeling of bliss” Kat said, “Not a care in the world, once we were done with that other stuff.”

The expression on her face told the story. Reliving and processing the most traumatic moments of her life had not been a pleasant experience.

“You learned a lot from that other stuff as you call it” Peter said, “Finding out the things that your own mind shielded you from has been useful.”

“How much did that really help?” Kat asked.

“Knowing the source of your fears is useful” Peter answered, “It makes it possible the confront them, particularly if they are irrational.”

“For someone like me, knowing that all men are potentially dangerous is hardly irrational” Kat said firmly.

That was a sentiment that Peter could hardly disagree with. In his time working in the military and in the University clinic he’d seen the wreckage that had resulted too many times from those who abused the strength they might have over others.

“That’s true enough” Peter said, “But you have made some effort with at least one man who you know isn’t trying to kill you.”

“Doctor Tangeman told you about that?” Kat asked, her check slightly flushing.

“Yes” Peter replied, “When she told me about how you nearly came to blows with Doctor Brandt over it.” While none of the three Doctors involved in the study could break confidence they could compare notes over matters that pertained to the study. Peter had waited until now to bring that up.

“Are you going to judge me for that?” Kat asked.

“Other than wanting to be sure that those photographs are secure I see no reason why I should” Peter answered.

“They’re in with my personal documents” Kat said. Peter nodded, Kat had never said where she kept her personal documents other than they were not in any of the places she lived, and she had followed protocol. That meant they were behind a considerable amount of steel and reinforced concrete. That also probably meant that hopefully one distant day her heirs would be in for quite a few surprises.

“What I really want to know is do you think that you got anything out of the experience?” Peter asked.

“Doug was sure surprised” Kat said, “It was not what he was expecting, but he was a professional.”

“That’s an odd choice of words.”

“He’s a photographer” Kat said, “Through his camera I can sort of see how he sees me.”

“How did you feel?” Peter asked, “About being alone with a man in that particular state of dress.”

“I was scared, petrified, but Doug was Doug” Kat said, “If that makes any sense.”

It did make sense in the odd sort of way that Kat went about doing things. However, Peter wasn’t about to tell her that because of how she tended to react. She had pushed herself to the absolute limits her fears would allow to have a deeper relationship with someone who she obviously wanted to allow into her life.

I have a feeling that, when Kat says that something is "secure," anyone trying to access it incorrectly will open the vault, and have just long enough to see a metal cutout cat, and realize what that means, before the trap goes off. The remnants of the intruder will be displayed as a reason NOT to try anything stupid...

I have a feeling that, when Kat says that something is "secure," anyone trying to access it incorrectly will open the vault, and have just long enough to see a metal cutout cat, and realize what that means, before the trap goes off. The remnants of the intruder will be displayed as a reason NOT to try anything stupid...
That brought out my "evil laugh" that scares people IRL. Well done.

Well, she does have a country estate. She might have the tresspasser mounted in her trophy room. "That's the stooge that tried to arrest me...that's the nuts of a guy who wouldn't talk...And that's the guy who tried to access my files..."

Part 40, Chapter 503
Chapter Five Hundred Three

2nd December 1945

North Pacific

“You’ve really messed up this time kid, that’s a stink that never washes off” Reier said, “And I think we’ve created a monster.”

The first part was the announcement that had happened hours earlier. They had examined Tilo’s conduct over the last several months. He had a couple medals pending for months that he’d been given promotions in lieu of. That was how they had handled things in the Pacific because if they waited for Wunsdorf to get back to them then they would all die of old age before they got a decision. Now with Emperor Louis himself coming here, all accounts were going to be paid and in Tilo’s case that had included his induction into the Pour le Mérite. Tilo wondered if there was an appeals process.

The other matter was that the Platoon had been on the Imperial Yacht since the Japanese Imperial family had been moved from the SMS Voss. The raids that Tilo’s outfit had committed on the larders and freezers of the SMS Voss were legendary so the entire ship’s crew had been arrayed against them from the moment that they had stepped aboard. It had been a relief when they been transferred to the SMY Hohenzollern IV. It was a misnomer to call her a yacht. She was not only the same size as the latest Cruiser used by the KLM, she was rumored to share the same hull and engines. While the yacht itself was fairly luxurious, even the portion of the ship that the Marines had been confined to, there simply wasn’t a whole lot to do. The result was that Platoon’s Noncoms had been teaching the Japanese Princes how to play cards, presumably under Tilo’s supervision. It had turned out that the eleven-year-old Crown Prince Akihito was quick study. Since they only playing for matchsticks the Prince had promptly given them back so the game could start again, he thought it was great fun.

Berlin

“Chancellor Lang announces hope for peace in the coming year” Kat read the headline aloud.

Kira was clearly annoyed by that. “My hope is that he means it this time” She said. Kat held her tongue, the Empress might have been saying that but what was being said on the street was far harsher. It seemed to everyone that they had been at war in one capacity or another for the last decade. People were just tired of it and the promise of peace last year had given way to the reality that not as much had changed. “What else is there?” Kira asked.

“Regardless of weather, a record crowd is expected for Armistice Day” Kat read. That wasn’t altogether positive. Those crowds might be out to celebrate the holiday but there was a political angle to it as well. Peace campaigning had become a thing of late, especially after the events of the prior October. Many among the Academia had been absolutely aghast at what had happened in Kure.

“You’re going to miss out on that this year?” Kira asked.

“We discussed this” Kat replied, “I’m going to be in Canada, remember.”

“Yes” Kira said, “Are you still nervous about that?”

“I’d be crazy not to be” Kat said as she flipped to the Metro section to see if there was anything of interest in the local news.

“I’m sure that your suitor’s parents will love you once they get to know you” Kira said. Kat hated it when Kira used those terms. From Kira’s perspective, the Canadians not using formal titles confused the matter but Douglas Blackwood, as the son of a high-ranking Officer in the Canadian Army, University graduate and war correspondent was a good match for Kat. Just thinking that far ahead put Kat on the verge of panic. Sure, she had always considered marriage a possibility was an unlikely remote abstract at best, the reality that…

“Are you still here?” Kira asked, “You looked like you were already thousands of Kilometers away.”

“I’m sorry” Kat said, “It’s just I’ve a lot on my mind, I’m leaving on Friday.”

“Louis has already left for the Pacific” Kira said, that was a surprise for Kat, she didn’t know that the Emperor had left already.

“Really?” Kat asked.

“Yes” Kira said, “With you gone as well, it’s going to be a lonely holiday season.”

“Please, don’t be so dramatic your Highness” Kat said, “You’ll be surrounded by your children, your court as well.”

“Not quite the same” Kira replied, “You never seem to have an agenda and can carry on an adult conversation about real things. That’s hard to find in my position.”

Kat could understand that, “Perhaps I can ask Helene and Gerta to take their involvement in the Order of Louise seriously for a change” She said.

“They are your friends Katherine, not mine” Kira said, “Freiherrin von Richthofen has had formality in my presence ground into her personality since before she could walk and Dame von Wolvogle…” The Empress just shrugged. Gerta’s personality was one that people either loved or hated with no grey area. The Empress fell into the latter category. She was polite to Gerta but found her cloying and obnoxious.

“I’m sorry that’s how it worked out this year” Kat said, “If I had known…”

“Don’t be” Kira replied, cutting her off. “Now, enough of the news or about me. I’d like to know what you will have your wards doing while you are away.”

That was easy enough to do. “You know how you mentioned that Helene had formality ground into her very being” Kat said, “Imagine trying go about that about seventeen years late.”

Last edited:
We are now beginning to see the end of the Lang Chancerllorship, that also means that the careers of Jacob von Schmidt and Emil Holz have reached their end because of their ties to Chancellor Lang.

For Admiral von Schmidt, he is the brother in law of the Chancellor and even though he is the Greatest Admiral of All Time, I doubt that he is personally popular back home with the KLM brass and his ideas of how the navy should look in the future are not being well received.

For Emil being the friend of Lang is not going to carry any weight because after this war ends, a bigger war is going to start. The war of the armed services.

The number of airborne units are going to be reduced and the Heer is going to want to take control over them from the Luftwaffe, and the Luftwaffe is going to have their own battles within themselves so they are not going to fight very hard to retain the airborne units, and Emil is not very well liked by the Heer High Command.

We are now beginning to see the end of the Lang Chancerllorship, that also means that the careers of Jacob von Schmidt and Emil Holz have reached their end because of their ties to Chancellor Lang.

For Admiral von Schmidt, he is the brother in law of the Chancellor and even though he is the Greatest Admiral of All Time, I doubt that he is personally popular back home with the KLM brass and his ideas of how the navy should look in the future are not being well received.

For Emil being the friend of Lang is not going to carry any weight because after this war ends, a bigger war is going to start. The war of the armed services.

The number of airborne units are going to be reduced and the Heer is going to want to take control over them from the Luftwaffe, and the Luftwaffe is going to have their own battles within themselves so they are not going to fight very hard to retain the airborne units, and Emil is not very well liked by the Heer High Command.

Good points, and you are partially correct. While the you've noticed the cracks forming in the current Government it's not to the point of collapse, not yet anyway. The postwar period is going to be complicated and in the case of all of the names you've mentioned neither them or their individual legacies will be easily erased.

Good points, and you are partially correct. While the you've noticed the cracks forming in the current Government it's not to the point of collapse, not yet anyway. The postwar period is going to be complicated and in the case of all of the names you've mentioned neither them or their individual legacies will be easily erased.
As this is your timeline, you are absolutely correct:extremelyhappy:.
I am thinking that maybe that the other members of the ruling coalition may dump Lang in order to keep power, Lang is very much identified as a crisis Chancellor since the Reichstag bombing and now with the war about to end, he is the face of the crisis that is now over and there is a need for new faces.

As for Jacob and Emil, their legacies will be honored by the public but their military careers are over, they both will have over thirty years in and for Jacob there is only one job left for him and that is to be the Grand Admiral and I don't that he has the support for that.
For Emil there is nothing left for him to do as he is a GFM and with peace time reductions of the military coming up, there is no place for him in the Luftwaffe and the Heer High Command don't want him.