In my mind's eye I see Kat looking very much like a slightly younger Hayley Atwell. ;)

Also, what's Doug's status again?

I could see that, but I haven't exactly given that a whole lot of thought. It was also pointed out that the description of Helene looks a lot like Jodelle Ferland.

As for Doug, he's still somewhere in Korea.

Last edited:
I think I posted it before, but I see Kat more like this (when older):
3dbccc9f17927e071fd9246e69bf4858.jpg

And something like this now:
3c3e1023697e60bf157648e334025cd4--army-uniform-military-uniforms.jpg

I think that ITTL the American people will see any attempt to join the war as a cynical move and will not support

What the Allies should do is it if the Americans are really do want to be a part of this war, they should hand them a wishlist of operations that the Allies do not have the manpower for: Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

The only way the American people would support going to war is if the Japanese kill the American ambassador, and who would do a stupid thing like that?

Part 38, Chapter 478
Chapter Four Hundred Seventy-Eight

10th August 1945

Munster

Tomorrow, Elizabeth was to go back to Britain, today the 19-year-old Princess was looking wide-eyed out the window of the helicopter as it flew at a sedate pace towards one of the main training centers for the Panzer Corps. Kat had told Elizabeth that she would see what she could do a couple days earlier. The British Princess had also wanted to know more about the Order of Louise, talking at length to Kira about it. It was felt that she could be brought in as a mostly honorary member, Special Class as it were, avoiding any sticky political issues. This was being sold as a means to bring the two nations closer together. Like her father, Elizabeth would get a Black Eagle as a courtesy when she ascended the throne, but this was being regarded as a diplomatic coup by the Empress in the meantime. Today's activity was regarded as being a bit of a diplomatic and public relations stunt.

Kat looked across the cabin to where Gerta was sitting and observed how many shades of green her face was turning. Gerta never could handle flying. Helene was busy with her mother, wedding nonsense again, needless drama and fripperies from Kat’s point of view. Kat was in her usual spot by the door, strapped in and talking to the pilot over the intercom about the Battle of Moscow which he had also flown in. The helicopter flared and landed. They were going to spend the day here, so the pilot cut the engine as soon as they were safely on the ground. Kat stepped out the door. Kurt, who Gerta regarded as a dear friend greeted them as Gerta and Elizabeth followed with the bodyguards and chaperones.

Gerta’s legs were unsteady from the flight. She had watched as Kat sat on the floor of the helicopter with her legs practically hanging out the door with only a few synth-silk straps holding her in. She had heard Kat talk about how much fun that was, but she had spent the whole flight trying to keep her breakfast down. Kurt was smiling at them as they made their way across the muddy field. They had been advised to wear proper boots and sensible clothes because of this, Kat had provided a couple pairs of the grey coveralls she always wore. That was when Gerta had learned that they were issued to Luftwaffe flight crews.

Being a Major in the Panzer Corps and having completed several months in thankless Staff positions the 5th Army had been apologetic about him missing the opportunity to have gone with the rest of his Panzer Brigade to Manchuria. Then had come word that he had been requested by the Empress to teach a wayward British Princess how to drive a Panther. Kurt had said that spending the day with three beautiful women was not exactly a hardship. As Kurt explained the ins and outs of driving a Panzer to them and the vehicle that they would be driving around this field this morning. A Raupenschlepper, the odd tracked lorry that the Heer had developed after their experiences in Poland in the twenties, that had been modified to approximate the feel of driving a Panther.

“It’s not like driving a lorry, Ladies” Kurt said to them, “There are eight forward gears and reverse, plus there is a lot more mass in a forty-five-ton vehicle.”

That was how they spent the morning. It was not much of a surprise that Kat mastered the tricky timing of the clutch first, she had actually learned to drive in the Opel Blitz that was owned by her Uncle Klaus that was equally temperamental. By lunchtime they had all gotten the hang of it. It was a nice day, so they had a picnic on the edge of the field. In the afternoon, they would try their hand at driving the real thing.

While they were eating Kat noticed that Kurt was patiently answering Elizabeth’s questions. She had quietly thanked Kat for arranging this excursion. Apparently, it was rare that she got to do something like this. Then Kat noticed that Gerta was watching Kurt’s interactions with the Princess.

“You are unbelievable” Kat said to her.

“What?” Gerta asked.

“You toy with Major Knispel for ages and then the instant you see him giving his undivided attention to a woman he’s agreed to teach to do something you get jealous” Kat said.

“I’m not jealous” Gerta said, a little too quickly.

“Yeah, sure” Kat said smugly. Gerta just wanted to slap Kat when she did that. It was not as if Kat had any of the answers herself.

They spent the afternoon driving an old battered Panther I that had the radio equipment removed from the forward compartment. That made it easier for the instructor to talk to the student. The gear shift with the long rods going back to the transmission sometimes took some effort to get into gear. The tillers and the neutral steering was tricky in practice.

It was a fun afternoon but Gerta doubted that they had truly mastered driving a Panther. She was so tired she was barely aware of the helicopter lifting off. She could hear Kat and Elizabeth chatting over one of the helicopter’s intercom circuits as they flew back towards Potsdam. Had she really been jealous? That was absurd. Sure, she had been pranking Kurt for a long time. Since he’d been her father’s aide years earlier, before the war. But he wasn’t more than that, not really. Was he?

Last edited:
I think that ITTL the American people will see any attempt to join the war as a cynical move and will not support

What the Allies should do is it if the Americans are really do want to be a part of this war, they should hand them a wishlist of operations that the Allies do not have the manpower for: Iwo Jima and Okinawa.

The only way the American people would support going to war is if the Japanese kill the American ambassador, and who would do a stupid thing like that?

Would the USA have the resources (manpower, sealift, carrier air, etc.) to carry out those invasions without a couple of years' worth of mobilization and wartime-level production? That's like telling a Pop Warner football team to go take on the Patriots.

She could hear Kat and Elizabeth chatting over one of the helicopter’s intercom circuits as they flew back towards Potsdam. Had she really been jealous? That was absurd. Sure, she had been pranking Kurt for a long time. Since he’d been her father’s aide years earlier, before the war. But he wasn’t more than that, not really. Was he?

'Nothing propinks like propinquity.' Yeah, love can kinda sneak up on you.

Would the USA have the resources (manpower, sealift, carrier air, etc.) to carry out those invasions without a couple of years' worth of mobilization and wartime-level production? That's like telling a Pop Warner football team to go take on the Patriots.
While Peabody-Martini has not stated on how large are the American military is, I would think that it is quite a bit larger than it was at the start of this war ITTL , because the war in the Pacific is happening really close to US possessions, and there may have been the thought of that any perception of weakness would have caused anyone of the belligerent nations to try to take over them, like Japan going for Guam or the Philippines in order to block the Allies from stopping the Japanese invasion of the Dutch East Indies.

Another thought could be is to make the price of joining the war too high for the Americans and the rewards too low.

With Great Britain and Germany being allies, it does make German Princes more acceptable to be candidates for the hand of the Heiress Presumptive.

While Peabody-Martini has not stated on how large are the American military is, I would think that it is quite a bit larger than it was at the start of this war ITTL , because the war in the Pacific is happening really close to US possessions, and there may have been the thought of that any perception of weakness would have caused anyone of the belligerent nations to try to take over them, like Japan going for Guam or the Philippines in order to block the Allies from stopping the Japanese invasion of the Dutch East Indies.

Another thought could be is to make the price of joining the war too high for the Americans and the rewards too low.
It's larger than at the start of this, true. However there are multiple issues that hamper their fighting potential.

Outdated War Doctrine, Tactics and Strategy. Soon to be Outdated Equipment,or new Equipment that its inadequate for the requirements of the new paradigms of modern Warfare

Outdated Understanding except for a few figures of the REAL Numbers of Naval, Air and Ground units required for Warfare in the modern world

Except for a small Cadre of politicians, Generals and Admirals, the bulk of the people in DC seems to be just now, after the horror of Harbin being released for the World's eyes, JUST starting to get the clue that just MAYBE they committed a bad choice by not heeding the petitions of the Allies, And are trying to delude themselves that if they enter the war they may regain something.

On Another Aspect......HOW MUCH hard currency Soviet reserves were in American Banks when the US Froze them, Reserves that the Current Czar it's going to smile then remove on its ENTIRETY, either to Switzerland or England?

Or HOW MUCH did the Japanese borrow from the Americans, and how much of the increase in the economy was fed by buys that are now to fall in default As the Europeans are certainly not going to recognize Jack shit in the matter of debts to America?

Or HOW MUCH did the Japanese borrow from the Americans, and how much of the increase in the economy was fed by buys that are now to fall in default As the Europeans are certainly not going to recognize Jack shit in the matter of debts to America?

That would be a dangerous game to play, as the Americans also hold a decent amount of at least German debt.

That would be a dangerous game to play, as the Americans also hold a decent amount of at least German debt.
. .. .Or could be a highly beneficial game for the Germans and the Allies, as i suspect that while the Americans hold a decent amount of German Debt, it isnt ALL of it. However in the American side, they have a LOT more debt belonging to Japan and to the defunct Soviet Russia. Same Debt that they now depend in the Allies to even see a part of that Debt paid, meaning that the Germans CAN renegotiate the payment or reduction of their Own debt in very favorable terms.

. .. .Or could be a highly beneficial game for the Germans and the Allies, as i suspect that while the Americans hold a decent amount of German Debt, it isnt ALL of it. However in the American side, they have a LOT more debt belonging to Japan and to the defunct Soviet Russia. Same Debt that they now depend in the Allies to even see a part of that Debt paid, meaning that the Germans CAN renegotiate the payment or reduction of their Own debt in very favorable terms.
If you owe a bank 10.000$, you have a problem. If you owe a bank 10.000.000$, the bank has a problem.

I think it was established that there was a "Cash and Carry" policy at the start of the war and only when it was certain that the Allies were going to win the war that there was loans being made to the Allies.

Japan and the Soviet Union never did get any loans and the Soviet Union had their assets frozen, Japan should have had its assets frozen by now.

As for the frozen Soviet assets, I bet that President Dewey's Wall Street buddies are telling him to use the assets to payback the loans that Imperial Russia took out for the Great War and that the Soviet Union repudiated after they took over.

And btw Russia, Belarus, and the Ukraine probably have their hands full with a massive land reform and agriculture modernization program and the United States is still providing a significant amount of food and other humanitarian assistance