Just for the mental process....

..... The Germans will learn to both love and hate the smell of Napalm here, as the use of Incendiary weapons it's the safest bet to "sterilize" an area, although considering the sheer rage after the first weeks's casualties and deaths amongst the Allied armies, they will be in the mood for "sterilize until the ashes are clean, then walk into the area, rinse and repeat"

Wouldn't be rare scenes of the Germans AND Russians employing souped up Molotov Cocktails and Flamethrowers to clean up bunkers rather than risk troops trying dislodge IJA troops holed in them.

Last edited:
Japan IOTL had a very convoluted way of thinking, they thought that they could spring a surprise attack on the United States and then negotiate a favorable peace deal.
When that didn't work, they thought by inflicting heavy casualties on the Allies and winning one more decisive battle that would force the Allies to negotiate a favorable peace deal.
All that did was to reinforce the idea that Japan was governed by fanatics and only with unconditional surrender could there be peace and only with a demilitarized and democratic society could Japan be trusted.

ITTL Japan is going to be totally isolated, and where there may have been concerned that the Allies would have tried to starve the Japanese into surrendering and that after the Soviets induced famines in the Ukraine and Belarus that was considered to be a hypocritical thing for the Allies to do.
The world is going to wash its hands of Japan and feel that anything that the Allies do now is justified.

Wouldn't be rare scenes of the Germans AND Russians employing souped up Molotov Cocktails and Flamethrowers to clean up bunkers rather than risk troops trying dislodge IJA troops holed in them.
Or just using an armored bulldozer to push enough dirt on top/around them and just bury them alive.

Japan IOTL had a very convoluted way of thinking, they thought that they could spring a surprise attack on the United States and then negotiate a favorable peace deal.
When that didn't work, they thought by inflicting heavy casualties on the Allies and winning one more decisive battle that would force the Allies to negotiate a favorable peace deal.
All that did was to reinforce the idea that Japan was governed by fanatics and only with unconditional surrender could there be peace and only with a demilitarized and democratic society could Japan be trusted.

ITTL Japan is going to be totally isolated, and where there may have been concerned that the Allies would have tried to starve the Japanese into surrendering and that after the Soviets induced famines in the Ukraine and Belarus that was considered to be a hypocritical thing for the Allies to do.
The world is going to wash its hands of Japan and feel that anything that the Allies do now is justified.

It'll be even more horrid when whatever plague the Japanese unleash makes it back to the home islands.

Has anybody else thought that Peabody-Martini could be messing with our minds?

In the past update it said it was not gas, but not what it was.
Besides a biological agent, the only thing I can think of that could pops instead of exploding is leaflets.
Usually it would be dropped loosely instead of being inside of a bomb canister, but there may be a reason for that, I don't know what, but then again what do I really know (please don't answer that)?

Has anybody else thought that Peabody-Martini could be messing with our minds?

In the past update it said it was not gas, but not what it was.
Besides a biological agent, the only thing I can think of that could pops instead of exploding is leaflets.
Usually it would be dropped loosely instead of being inside of a bomb canister, but there may be a reason for that, I don't know what, but then again what do I really know (please don't answer that)?
Leaflets on paper good enough for TP but laced with poison is a war crime too far.

Hm, thinking about the very, very independend minded mess that was the practical reality of the japanese armed forces in OTL WW2, and P-M gave no indication that changed here - it is entirely possible that the japanese attack was done by local authorities who weren't informed about Germany's little "Don't even think about it" message.

All those guys might have heard on the subject is a "No." And in the IJA that was often interpreted as "If I do successfully this I'll prove my bushido and gain promotions" with a side message of "Assassinate the coward saying 'No'".

So the first thing the mainland hears about this would be when the local commander phones Kyoto to brag about his success.

Part 38, Chapter 467
Chapter Four Hundred Sixty-Seven

27th June 1945

Khabarovsk, Russia

Fleas, Goddamn fucking fleas of all things. Diogenes would have laughed and laughed about Tilo’s situation. He was the only one responding to the bombing who hadn’t fallen ill and no one knew why. Reier had, in a rare moment of sensibility, hung back and hadn’t gotten sick either. But it was believed that he hadn’t been exposed so they had cut him loose. Tilo on the other hand been trying to help the wounded and yelling at the others to keep back until they knew what they were dealing with. Ironically that had earned Tilo a sideways promotion and a decoration. The Brass had made him a Fähnrich and put him in for a medal that reflected that change. The logic was that he hadn’t known about his apparent immunity to what had turned out to be a biological weapon when he had done what he had. That was the sort of insane selfless bravery that had to be acknowledged and rewarded before the entire Division.

The problem was that the Medical Corps wanted to know exactly why Tilo was immune so he was back to being poked and prodded. They figured that the mysterious illness that had knocked him flat in Vietnam was the same one that they were dealing with now. Even so Tilo was still chilled to the marrow when he learned that the bug in fact did have a name, Yersinia Pestis, the Black Death.

“You’re a rather lucky young man, Fähnrich Schultz” The Doctor who was overseeing the latest blood draw said, Tilo didn’t feel so lucky even if he was far better off than the men elsewhere in this building that was a makeshift hospital.

“I happen to know your brother Jost” The Doctor continued, “One of the meanest men I’ve ever met.”

Yeah, Tilo thought, he knew Jost.

“You sort of have me at a loss then, Sir” Tilo said.

“How rude of me” The Doctor said, “Generalarzt Holz, and this is one place where we don’t place where we don’t need to put much stock in formalities.”

That was a relief, Tilo hadn’t realized that he was talking to a General.

“How bad is it out there, Sir?” Tilo asked.

“The initial response by most of the enlisted men was that it was a gas attack which probably saved a lot of lives” Doctor Holz said, “Still we had a lot of people stupidly rushing to see what it was when they saw it wasn’t gas. There are a lot of men sick and flamethrowers are suddenly very fashionable in this theater.”

“That sounds awful” Tilo replied.

“It could have been worse” Doctor Holz said, “There are some new medicines that are proving effective and then we have you.”

“What do I have to do with anything?” Tilo asked.

“You’ve never looked in your service file, blood type?” Doctor Holz asked, “Do you know what a universal…”

“Phone for you, General” One of the attendants said from the hallway.

“Excuse me” Doctor Holz said, “We’ll continue this conversation in a few minutes.”

Tilo found something ominous about the way that Doctor Holz was talking to him. Overhearing the General’s half of the phone conversation didn’t exactly fill him with happy thoughts either. Apparently, Field Marshal von Kluge had been one of those who had fallen ill.

Berlin

“Not a stitch” Kat answered acidly to Doctor Tangeman and Doctor Brandt. Doctor Holz might have been called away but the study continued.

“And that’s why you broke this young man’s nose?” Doctor Brandt asked.

“No” Kat said, “That was an accident, it was what he said after he had apologized.”

“Exactly what was that?” Tangeman asked.

“He said that I have an incredible body” Kat said, “That was totally inappropriate.”

Considering Katherine’s history this wasn’t funny but Tangeman could see the humor in the situation. Katherine had described Soren Yount as a mostly harmless, but not particularly bright, friend of her brother. Apparently, Soren had let his mouth run away from him and it had landed in the hospital getting his nose set. That did dovetail with one of the things that Tangeman had wanted to talk with Katherine about, her negative perspective regarding her body. Katherine had gained a bit of weight in the last few months and was actually looking healthy as opposed to gaunt. It was no surprise that a man might find her attractive even while clothed under the layers she tended to wear and while her reaction was entirely understandable, Tangeman had a feeling that her reaction may have been the same regardless of her state of undress.

“I agree that it was an inappropriate comment” Tangeman said, “Was punching him in the face the right response?”

“You would never punch someone in the face unless you want to break the bones in your hand” Kat said matter of fact.

“Regardless of that or how you actually did it” Tangeman said, “It wasn’t an entirely appropriate response.”

“It was embarrassing” Kat said, “And that is not how I wanted that to happen, if it ever did.”

“Wanted what to happen?” Tangeman asked.

“I had never had a man see me… you know” Kat said, her cheeks flushing. “Aside from Doctors and what not.”

That caused Brandt to raise his eyebrows, he had commented in the past that there might have been some truth to the rumors that Freiherrin Katherine was dead from the waist down. Katherine had been of the age when most people are just becoming aware of the opposite sex when she was assaulted which had caused her to be somewhat socially immature. Tangeman had known that she had complained about her inability to get close to the man she had been seeing socially but Katherine had not mentioned that she thought about things beyond that.

“You said that you think your brother’s friend is mostly harmless” Tangeman said, “You had no ill effects from this incident and that it was accidental.”

“Yeah” Kat said with a slightly disgusted look on her face, “But Soren Yount?”

Last edited:
It seems the "Flea Bomb" attack happened in a isolated area and casualties are less than could be expected but still the psychological effects are are going to be outsized.
Any Japanese solider encountered will get the "Hot Foot".

the Japanese are totally crazy about using guns when they know that German bombers can carry equally dangerous weapons to their cities. which chemical weapons the Germans used first.

Part 38, Chapter 468
Chapter Four Hundred Sixty-Eight

29th June 1945

Washington D.C.

As a Civil Servant at the State Department James Clark had seen Administrations come and go through every imaginable crisis. But he had rarely seen things go this sideways, this fast. President Dewey had been trying to broker a peace between the European Powers and the Empire of Japan. But this week all of that had turned to shit when the Japanese had apparently used a biological weapon on the mostly German forces that were massing on the North-Eastern border of Manchuria. They had dropped bombs carrying plague infested fleas on a few dozen encampments and the cities of Khabarovsk and Vladivostok. The Germans hadn’t passed on the total number of their people who were sickened by this attack but the Embassy in Berlin had heard rumors that it was a few thousand German soldiers, including the Field Marshal in charge of the operation, plus an unknown number of Russian civilians.

The State Department, aware that when the Germans retaliated it was going to be as if Hell had been unleashed on Earth had begun to evacuate the Embassy in Tokyo and advising all American citizens in Japan to get out now. There were rumors about that to, something about two operations, Premuniantur and Quartum. Only the highest levels of the United States Government had seen Premuniantur which was only an hour-long film that was said to be the stuff of nightmares. Quartum was suggested to be what would happen if the warning wasn’t heeded. Now the Moscow Embassy was reporting large numbers of trains moving east under heavy guard. James himself had seen photographs of what looked like Aggregat 8 rockets loaded onto flatcars. The published range of those was around twelve hundred kilometers with a thousand-kilogram payload. That was a lot of death and destruction with no known counter measure.

Berlin

By the time Emil made it to Lang’s office he had received an additional list from Peter of what he needed in the Far East. Lang himself was surprisingly agreeable to all of that when Emil met him in his home office.

“I figure that we’ll have no trouble getting the funding for all of this” Lang said, “The public had thought that the war was more or less over, the Japanese changed all of that.

“It’s like a whole new war” Emil observed.

“One that we probably won’t be able to afford having run much longer” Lang said, “Not that I would be crazy enough to say that aloud in a public setting.”

“That’s understandable” Emil replied.

“I’m sure that by now you’ve heard that Günther von Kluge was one of the ones sickened by the plague” Lang said.

Emil nodded, he hadn’t gotten along with the Prussian Field Marshal. Von Kluge was too much the sort of traditionalist sort who had never liked Emil. Emil had done his best to work with the man and not even he deserved to catch a potentially lethal illness.

“You lucked out to have left when you did” Lang said.

“I don’t know if luck is what you would want to call it” Emil said, “I came home for a personal matter, Maria is pregnant and we needed to have a long talk about that.”

“I see” Lang said, “Judging by the way you said that, I take it that this was an unexpected development.”

Augustus Lang would know a thing or two about that, wouldn’t he, Emil thought to himself.

“I guess” Emil said. He and Maria had spent an entire day and most of the following night talking about what they wanted. Maria had feared that this would derail her career again and that this might also be her last chance to have another child. They had discussed everything at length including the difficulties that Maria was having with Emil’s career, how she feared being left behind. The next day they had spent making up for the previous weeks, Maria had joked that it would be difficult to get more pregnant.

Then their temporary detente was interrupted by outside events. Maria had been a lot more understanding this time as Emil was called away.

“I trust that you’ve got your family concerns addressed” Lang said, “But that is not what I’ve come to ask you about tonight. I’m afraid that I’m going to be the one to send you into the lion’s den.”

“I’m listening” Emil said. That didn’t sound good.

“With von Kluge out, I need someone who knows what’s happening on the ground in the Far East there and I need the war over as soon as it can possibly be made to happen” Lang said, “I was hoping that you could be that someone.”

“I’d have to contend with von Schmidt and Kesselring if I did that” Emil replied.

“Von Schmidt is one of the most brilliant minds I’ve ever encountered” Lang said, “But he’ll walk all over Kesselring and doesn’t exactly understand that Infantry Divisions are not ships at sea. Kesselring is brilliant in his own right but is seen as a little too nice at times.”

“What you are saying is that you need an attack dog” Emil said, “And you are hoping that I can be that.”

“Unlike anyone else, aside from perhaps Walter Horst I know exactly how ruthless you can be Emil” Lang said, “Everyone thinks that you are Jochen Loewe and they couldn’t be more wrong.”

“If I do this then there cannot be any half measures” Emil said, “I’m going to need several Army Corps transferred east, a free hand and there is a matter of authority.”

“What are you suggesting on that last part?” Lang asked.

“You know that von Schmidt will not listen to anyone that he sees as less than him” Emil said, “He will however have to obey someone who outranks him.”

“That’s an easy enough problem to solve” Lang said, “For someone who hates politics you are certainly good at the horse trading that goes with it.”

Emil didn’t respond to that.

Last edited:
“You know that von Schmidt will not listen to anyone that he sees as less than him” Emil said, “He will however have to obey someone who out ranks him.”

“That’s an easy enough problem to solve” Lang said, “For someone who hates politics you are certainly good at the horse trading that goes with it.”

Emil didn’t respond to that last part.

*Insert devilish Grin here*

Emil is on fire. But I figure that Schmidt will outmaneuver/outwit him somehow.

Both Emil's and Lang's names will be forever linked to this.

The operations order should reference something like "Cherry Blossom Festival" and the execute phrase should be something like "Order bento[0] for the whole family."

[0] Japanese box lunches.

The Black death. Really Japan!?! Really!?! Do you people know what that is to Europe!?! That's like Russia Weaponizing Prince Vlad III Dracula the Impaler of Wallichia to knock Turkey out of WWI. Nothing could top that. Nothing!