Part 36, Chapter 445
Chapter Four Hundred Forty-Five

29th January 1944

Wunsdorf-Zossen

Jost had a few different problems. There were the ever-present annoyances such as peace, boredom or Soldaten. While he couldn’t do anything about the first thing, the second could be handled for a time by stomping the shit out of the third. In fact, the Brass liked it when he did that, within reason. The problem was that even the lowest, most stupid, Soldat eventually wised up enough to know how to avoid giving Jost an excuse to kick their ass. Then he would be right back to where he was before. Now he had an additional problem.

He had acquired Reisser as a puppy in a card game shortly after the 140th Regiment had returned to Wunsdorf and the dog had seriously failed to live up to his name. He had felt that if the 140th had a mascot, which was an idea that had been thrown around for years, it would need to be something appropriate. Reisser was an American Pit Bull, the pick of the litter and descended from a long line of fighting dogs that were legendary throughout the 2nd Army Corps.

Neither Reisser or the Regiment had much interest in that sort of thing, much to Jost’s disgust. The dog had grown into a serious mooch and was never without friendly attention. Reisser was welcome in all the barracks when he wasn’t sleeping under Jost’s bunk. The problem was that one of the Brass had a stick up their ass and they were insisting that unless they could demonstrate that Reisser served a military function he would need to go. Jost’s entire Company was currently trying to think of what that might be and they had been in and out of Jost’s quarters all day with suggestions. Some were better than others but so far, there had not been anything that Jost would be able to sell.

“I don’t know” A Soldat said, “Does being able to smell beef jerky in a footlocker that’s at the bottom of a truck bed under several tons of junk count?”

“Nice try” Jost said, he remembered the incident that the Soldat was thinking of. “Keep thinking.”

Even as he said that a thought occurred to Jost. What else could Reisser smell? He’d seen the German Shepherds that were typically used on base perimeters, they were pretty but in Jost’s opinion they lacked character and other than their size making them intimidating, they weren’t good for much. He grabbed some of the jerky that he kept as treat for Reisser and a souvenir from Russia off his desk, if it was possible…

“Come on, stupid” Jost growled and Reisser fell in on his heel as they walked out of the barracks. It was a frigid winter day and the air smelled of snow, the field behind the barracks was covered in snow clear to the inner fence a couple hundred meters away. When spring rolled around it would go back to mowed grass. Jost saw that Reisser had grabbed the piece of hemp cable that was his current favorite toy. No one expected it to last long, not many things could survive in the powerful jaws of a pit bull. Jost grabbed a hold of the end of the rope and Reisser nearly jerked his arm out of the socket as he started to tug on the rope and shake his head, growling.

“Now if you could get ahold of Major Asshole’s leg and do that then you would do the whole Regiment a solid” Jost said with a smile, referring to the Officer who was trying to evict Reisser.

“Drop” Jost said firmly, “Sit.”

Reisser dropped the rope and sat there, tongue hanging out of his mouth. It was as good as he could expect from the dog. Jost pulled out the deactivated Soviet landmine that he had kept as a souvenir but frequently used as a training aid and held it out towards the dog’s nose.

“Smell mine” Jost said. He doubted that Reisser was listening to the command, dogs literally saw the world through their noses.

“Good” He said and gave Reisser a piece of the jerky and a pat on his side before picking up the rope and throwing it as far as he could. Reisser bounded across the field after it. As the dog did that Jost walked away from the back of the barracks and buried the mine in the snow.

A minute later Reisser came running back, the rope hanging out either side of his mouth.

“Drop” Jost commanded. Reisser dropped the rope at Jost’s feet, he stood there tail wagging furiously waiting for him to throw it again.

“Okay, find the mine first” Jost said, “Smell mine.”

It took a couple minutes of coaxing but Reisser went straight to where the mine was buried once Jost got the point across. This would require more experimentation but if Reisser could smell landmines then that was more than just a military function, that was extremely valuable.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later, Jost was arguing his case to the Oberst.

“If it goes boom then Reisser can smell it” Jost said, “Even Plastique.” That last part got the Oberst’s attention, the plastic explosive was supposed to be odorless.

It being winter the Regiment had more time than usual on their hands. They had embraced training Reisser with a great deal of gusto. Reisser was obviously not a Bloodhound but he could still do a lot and unlike a dopey looking hound he was of a fighting breed. As far as Jost was concerned there was still a lot of work to be done if they could make this work but they might have done enough to keep Reisser around.

Last edited:
My first reply in this amazing thread. Well done!

He had acquired Reissen as a puppy in a card game shortly after the 140th Regiment had returned to Wunsdorf and the dog had seriously failed to live up to his name
Reissen : that's no proper German name or word. Do you mean giant? That would be Riese and no -n that would be plural.
He’d seen the German Shepherds that were typically used on base perimeters, they were pretty but in Jost’s opinion they lacked character and other than their size making them intimidating, they weren’t good for much.
I beg to differ. The original breed (up till the ~'70's) were not the show breed hatchback you see today. They were a general use sheepdog who's versatility, intelligence, character strength and loyalty were the reason, why they were first pick for most service dogs before stupid breeders ruined most.
There are still some lines around that follow the original breed.

A question I had for a long time wile reading. What stands KLM for?

What stands KLM for?
Kaiserliche Marine, I think.
I beg to differ. The original breed (up till the ~'70's) were not the show breed hatchback you see today. They were a general use sheepdog who's versatility, intelligence, character strength and loyalty were the reason, why they were first pick for most service dogs before stupid breeders ruined most.
Yup. German Shepards (and the Rottweilers) are on average the best all-around service dogs breeds for the military and police forces.

My first reply in this amazing thread. Well done!

Reissen : that's no proper German name or word. Do you mean giant? That would be Riese and no -n that would be plural.

A question I had for a long time wile reading. What stands KLM for?

It's actually Reißen but I didn't feel like having to paste that in constantly. So it's entirely laziness on my part.
KLM stands for Kaiserliche Marine

There are still some lines around that follow the original breed.

I was trying to write from the perspective of someone you might not want to share a postal code with, that individual's perspective and opinions.

It's actually Reißen but I didn't feel like having to paste that in constantly. So it's entirely laziness on my part.
How does one make the alternate characters?

I have loved this story since I started reading it, and it seems that there is always something new, and usually, unexpected. Congratulations on a very well done ATL.

It's actually Reißen but I didn't feel like having to paste that in constantly.
OK, than the proper noun is Reißer (Reisser), cause you don't use a verb as a name. If you want to only use your letters, this are the usual letter combinations to keep the spelling right:
ß -> ss
ä -> ae
ö -> oe
ü -> ue
How does one make the alternate characters?
There is an ASCI code somewhere, but copy and paste works as well. I have them on my standard German keyboard.
The -lich would be -ly in English, someting you never use in an abbreviation.

OK, than the proper noun is Reißer (Reisser), cause you don't use a verb as a name. If you want to only use your letters, this are the usual letter combinations to keep the spelling right:
ß -> ss
ä -> ae
ö -> oe
ü -> ue

The -lich would be -ly in English, someting you never use in an abbreviation.

Thank you, help of every kind is always welcome.

The whole KLM thing has been an abbreviation used in several different timelines, never considered that might be a mistake.

Last edited:
beg to differ. The original breed (up till the ~'70's) were not the show breed hatchback you see today. They were a general use sheepdog who's versatility, intelligence, character strength and loyalty were the reason, why they were first pick for most service dogs before stupid breeders ruined most.

It has already been addressed, but keep in mind that we are reading from the perspective of various people; It is his opinion the breeds are worthless, not P-M's (Necessarily). We've seen it many times in the story, things that the character knows, or thinks he knows, which are not reality.

I was trying to write from the perspective of someone you might not want to share a postal code with, that individual's perspective and opinions.
It has already been addressed, but keep in mind that we are reading from the perspective of various people; It is his opinion the breeds are worthless, not P-M's (Necessarily). We've seen it many times in the story, things that the character knows, or thinks he knows, which are not reality.
Yes I know, but this description
...they were pretty but...other than their size making them intimidating...
does not fit the original breed who were quite bland and a little smaller than modern show lines. It fits in with some other cases of anachronisms (e.g. coffee shops) and Americanisms (education system, labor unions...) that bothered me in this very entertaining read.

does not fit the original breed who were quite bland and a little smaller than modern show lines. It fits in with some other cases of anachronisms (e.g. coffee shops) and Americanisms (education system, labor unions...) that bothered me in this very entertaining read.

Fair enough. I assume he has just never seen them in their "guard dog mode". I've met some guard dogs that can seem like great big puppies until they are activated, be it by a command, or by seeing it's charge threatened, and then they turn into a different creature altogether.

Md139115

Banned
I'm kind of surprised that we are debating dogs when Martin Luther King is running around killing state governors.

?...

That sentence just summed up AH.com in a nutshell.

I'm kind of surprised that we are debating dogs when Martin Luther King is running around killing state governors.

?...

That sentence just summed up AH.com in a nutshell.

Well, several pounds is certainly overkill. A half stick of dynamite will blast out a large tree root. Several pounds probably sent that governor to the moon

they were in the long period between New Year’s and spring, the holidays were over so everyone was just waiting for the next season. The social calendar had turned out to be a bit disappointing this year.

*snorts* Shows that Prussians really don't have any culture. In the one and only real Kaiserstadt, Vienna, that period of time is the height of the social calendar. Ballsaison! Every guild, association or other group holds a ball between New Year's and Ash Wednesday.

On Sunday mornings she sat at the kitchen table with Gerta and Helene. They just talked about whatever came to mind. Of late it had been the complications of Helene’s wedding. Field Marshal von Richthofen was insisting that his oldest daughter have a proper wedding that benefited her station. The shrewd old goat, Helene wanted to strangle him for pulling something like this. He knew better than to try to prevent Helene from marrying Hans so instead he was having the sort of wedding that was basically a State Event. Hundreds of guests, meals, rehearsals and a thousand other things that would have to be planned down to the smallest detail. It would all take months and unless Helene wanted her wedding day to be in the dead of winter she would have to wait until the following spring much to her own frustration. For Helene the worst part was that her usual ally against her father, her mother, was absolutely enamored with the idea that Helene would get the fairy tale wedding that she didn’t get to have.

Kat and Gerta had been listening to her complain about it for weeks. There were also hints that had been dropped by her father that he was playing this out for as long as he could in hopes that Helene would change her mind. Kat knew that was a foolish notion, when Helene and Hans were in the same room it was as if there was no one else there.

You have to love protective-Daddy von Richtofen.

This tale is keeping me completely riveted. End of the war in Europe, at the same time things start exploding in Europe.

Plus, he's in a car, might've shielded him from the blast, in theory.

Also, first rule of explosives:

P for Plenty.

Martin is not an explosives expert, so using too much is better than not enough. UNDER the car means that the blast was confined by the ground; they will have to scrape the occupants of the car off of various surfaces with a spatula.

Even strategically, a small blast that kills works, but a BIG bang sends a bigger message. The militia is going to go nuts, as will the KKK. I guess I was right to be worried about the fate of the USA!