I wonder if much of Japan's cultural plunder from China and SE Asia is now in US Banks or with Nisei family similar to OTL Switzerland and Jewish wealth/gold. I could even see unscrupulous US museums paying a fortune for the war booty and refusing to give it back.

Also re: the war, were there any volunteer Eagle Squadrons or Brigades fighting in Europe?

Also re: the war, were there any volunteer Eagle Squadrons or Brigades fighting in Europe?

There were a number of Americans of German extraction ITTL and IOTL who fought in the German Military but weren't in segregated units. An example would be Sjostedt in WW1 in TTL who was from Arizona but ended up in a Prussian Regiment.

Part 34, Chapter 406
Chapter Four Hundred Six

24th August 1944

Washington D.C.

Senator Truman had been recalled to Washington, the Presidential Campaign interrupted by a sudden crisis and an emergency meeting of relevant Senate committees behind the closed doors. Harry Truman figured that there was an identical meeting in the house as well. Hell, panicked meetings like this one were probably happening in every seat of Government everywhere in the world, the County Water Board in West Bumfuck Utah on up.

It had been discovered that the State Archives of the Soviet Union had fallen intact into the hands of the German Military. There were a lot of skeletons packed into that particular closet and damn nearly everyone in this room had been receiving calls from frantic constituents worried about the implications. Truman saw this for the sick joke that it was. For starters, were they suggesting that they had worked with, or were already being blackmailed, by the damned communists? And at any rate they were definitely showing signs of a guilty conscience. This was unbelievable. They were this worried about the potential actions of a relatively benign rival power like the Germans? What did they think would happen if the Soviets had won?

Of course, the Germans would have had the sense to torch the files along with the rest of Berlin before they abandoned it. The way that the trial of Stalin and his surviving henchmen was playing out was proof of that. The Krauts didn’t mess around for sure, they were making sure that every T was crossed and every I was dotted. The result was that most of the former Soviet officials were singing like if they were performing in the opera to save their own hides. Truman already knew how that would work out for them, the German Imperial Executioner was going to be very busy over the coming year. Considering the reaction that Truman saw this was having, in an election year no less. It was a nice reminder of just how deep the cynicism in this town went.

Langeoog Island, Germany

Gianna had told Helene and Hans what she had overheard in the conversation between Marcella and Doctor Holz. She sincerely wished she hadn’t done that and Marcella had read her the riot act for doing so. A week later Kat had come home and Marcella had confronted her about how she couldn’t run away from things anymore because her enemies had found out. To say Kat hadn’t taken that well was an understatement. It had devolved into a screaming match between Marcella and Kat where both of them had said some extremely unforgivable things.

Helene was sitting there her hand over her mouth horrified, Hans looked like he wanted to hurt someone. It was frustrating, the events in question were a decade in the past.

“Fuck” Hans growled, “I was in Stetten for basic at that time, if I’d known…”

“There was nothing you could have done” Helene said, “But we all should have known something was wrong, for years.” She could see Kat asleep on the couch in the sitting room. They were in way over their heads here. Helene recalled with a stab of guilt all the times that she and Gerta had poked fun at her choice of attire. Kat had dressed in bulky, faded second hand clothes and made an effort to be invisible. To think, earlier that afternoon she had fled her family’s townhouse because she didn’t want to listen to Sonje rattle on about fashion, Paris versus Berlin. That seemed so trite.

“What is this about enemies?” Hans asked.

“Kat pisses people off by existing and by being closely associated with the Empress” Gianna replied.

That was fair enough, Hans thought to himself. Kat had that effect on people. “Tonight, You two should sleep upstairs with Kat, she shouldn’t be alone, and I’ll crash down here on the couch.”

“Are you sure about that?” Helene asked. Hans was longer than the couch.

“A week ago, I was sleeping while sitting up on a bench seat of a Schützenpanzer” Hans said, “I think I’ll be fine.”

Hans watched as Gianna and Helene gently woke Kat up and led her upstairs. Tomorrow morning, they would need a plan and he knew that he was in way over his head here. What had happened to Kat was horrible and it put most of her subsequent actions over the years in a different light. He had heard what she did to men who touched her without permission. Then there were the heroics themselves. The things she had thrown herself into again and again, pushing her luck past any sane breaking point. Could Kat have done that not because she was selfless as the Press depicted her but because she actually wanted to die in a way that meant something. That meant that every medal and honor that she had received had been like a stab to the heart.

Hans found Kats uniform coat thrown in the corner. It was the brown/grey water splinter that the whole Heer was to be adopting in the coming days and the dress uniform would go back to a dark blue tunic. Feldgrau would be a memory. The SKA had also incorporated the other change. The Unit patch had been moved from the collar to the sleeve, the new patch was shield shaped and included the cat leaping through flames. A crown had been added denoting that the 28th Regiment had served with distinction and the Regimental motto, Omni modo est sursum…, Every way is up… Hans understood that. Every way is up from Hell.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to really like Truman ITTL, and he's the perfect US Pres for this mess. If said it before, but you've really got the psychology of Kat and her actions down. Poor girl.

Helene and Hans are doing exactly the right things.

I think I'm going to really like Truman ITTL, and he's the perfect US Pres for this mess. If said it before, but you've really got the psychology of Kat and her actions down. Poor girl.

Helene and Hans are doing exactly the right things.

A while back the comment was made that this timeline was becoming too Kat-centric while were enjoying all her adventures. At this point a significant subplot should be dedicated to Kat's mental health.

I think that the trial of Stalin should wait until the war with Japan is over.
If the Japanese leadership thinks that they will be held accountable for their actions, they may not want to surrender and they will fight to the end.

If the Japanese leadership thinks that they will be held accountable for their actions, they may not want to surrender and they will fight to the end.

True, but no unconditional surrender issue here with Japan, I don't think. China no doubt does, but the Europeans aren't going to have the same demands as with Stalin.

Since the Soviets didn't have Spanish gold to trade, it makes me wonder if they mortgaged/consigned the Hermitage to America instead.

A while back the comment was made that this timeline was becoming too Kat-centric while were enjoying all her adventures. At this point a significant subplot should be dedicated to Kat's mental health.

Yep, it's one of the reasons why I didn't mind the Kat-centricity, because I knew there was something like this going on in the background to make her the complex character she is.

As opposed to before, when Japan was just falling head over heels to surrender?

With the Soviet Union defeated and the NKVD files being exposed, the fallout may not be all that bad.
I think there is enough dirt on all sides so that it really doesn't matter which party or ideological spectrum that someone is on, that no one side is going to gain any political advantage.

The biggest losers will be the ones who where the most publicly against communism but were on the NKVD paylist.
This will basically destroy any remnants of the CPUSA as it will expose the party as taking orders from Moscow.

Of course there will have to be investigations in order to find out the extent of Soviet infiltration in America's domestic scene.
It may force the national security agencies to do a quite bit of housekeeping and they will find out that other countries *cough* Germany *cough* have been doing the same things.
That may expose some Abwehr assets *cough* J. Edgar *cough* in high places.

Wait, I'm confused. Did I miss Kat getting raped somewhere, or am I misreading implications?
Yes, but only recently. There has been layers of covers. The first cover was for her dad beeing involved in killing a would-be rapist, the second only recently revealed was that Kat was raped at age 12, became pregnant and had an abortion.

Part 34, Chapter 407
Chapter Four Hundred Seven

25th August 1944

Montreal, Canada

Seymour Edwards was talking to his Agent in New York on a terrible connection. He was having to explain how he had come up empty after several days. Miller had dropped a comment about how Jehane Thomas-Romanova had been alive when they had found her but in the description he had given she sounded more than half dead. Blood soaked clothes frozen to her body and suffering from the effects of severe hypothermia. Miller said that the girl had never woken up and her injuries were far beyond the abilities of a small-town doctor. They had transported her to Dawson Creek and put her on a train. From there she seemed to have vanished into thin air.

Seymour had traveled to Vancouver but had found no record that Jehane had ever been there. He had realized that if the girl’s injuries were so extensive then where could they have sent her. Seattle would be out. The Canadian Government clearly hadn’t wanted the complications that would entail and Seattle would hardly be better than Vancouver. That meant that they must have sent her east. As Seymour rode the train on the long trip to Toronto he saw the distances involved. He wouldn’t have been shocked if the girl had died in the four or five days it would take. Seymour could only imagine what it would be like in the winter.

Toronto was a bust and Montreal had been as well. Too many unclaimed Jane Does had been through the city morgue during the time period in question. In both cases the city clerk had apologized to him but that was the nature of winter in those northern climes, it wasn’t kind. In Montreal, the hospital administration had proven particularly uncooperative even though Seymour could prove that he was representing the head of the family.

“The client is not going to be happy” Seymour said.

“Perhaps” The Agent said, “Or perhaps not. It’s hardly our place to say. You’ve earned your paycheck with this one. Call me when you get back.”

With that the phone conversation ended.

Seymour was left waiting around the airport for the next flight to New York that wouldn’t leave for a couple hours. Mostly that involved sitting around the lounge reading a day-old copy of the New York Times. This case hadn’t panned out. It was a disgrace that a Princess should end up buried in a potter’s field somewhere in Canada with not even a marker on her grave. Seymour had really been hoping to find her alive.

He then read in the paper a stupid human-interest story about how the New York Police Department and the US Marine Corps had done an exercise without warning at the airport a few years earlier. Keystone Cops, Seymour thought to himself. But then again, the NYPD had been nothing but a pain for the entirety of Seymour’s career. He would expect nothing less.

Langeoog Island, Germany

Hans had taken the ferry back to the mainland to make some phone calls first thing in the morning. Leave it to Kat to have a house on an island with no phone. He also needed some things from the car. With it nearly the end of August there was a definite feel in the air that the season was ending. Ironic really, he was just going on leave while everyone else was going back to work. Then again, he’d rather deal with Jost or Soren’s different brands of bullshit for a thousand years then to see Kat so messed up.

The first call he made was to Aunt Marcella to let her know that Kat was fine, at least physically if she was well enough to attack him. The next call he’d made was to Gert’s to let Otto know that Hans was looking for him. He knew in his gut that whoever had hurt Kat had made a fatal error and didn’t want to be blindsided by law enforcement types if it ever came to that. After that he had a conundrum. Who to call? Doctor Holz had been able to help Kat in the past but he had sort of caused this latest personal crisis. They would call him eventually but Hans knew that Military Doctors weren’t always the best people to deal with situations beyond arterial bleeding. For all of Doctor Holz’s good intentions that was exactly what he was. Who did Kat trust enough to talk to beyond the members of her family who had tracked her down? That was a very short list. Helene had mentioned that Gerta had her own problems at the moment. Hans picked up the phone and called the Berlin exchange. There was one person who might be able to help…

Hans looked up and saw a pair of Luftwaffe jets racing north. He had gotten used to the strange new airplanes over Russia. This was the first time he had seen them in the air over Germany.

Over the North Sea

Captain Charles Sweeny had leveled off at 29,000 feet. The mission had gone well enough. They had been testing the long-range capabilities of the Army Air Force’s newest toy, the B-29 Super Fortress. It was simple enough, fly to England show the flag and cause the English to shit a brick and then fly back. If he should “accidently” drift a bit over the North Sea and approach German Airspace so much the better. The USAAF was still trying to get a handle on what the Luftwaffe was up to. They were hearing talk of successful rocket planes right out of Buck Rogers comics. The Generals wanted confirmation that they could take to Congress and just in case the ventral gunner had his camera loaded and ready to go. At this altitude, he doubted that there would be much to see. They would probably outpace any likely interceptors.

Sweeny’s thoughts were interrupted when the bombardier called out, “2 O’clock, closing fast!” He glanced in that direction and saw two black dots. They resolved into arrowhead shapes before they screamed by in a head-on pass. If they wanted they could have just killed them with little effort involved. “Christ” Sweeny muttered.

“Sir, we got a problem here” The tail gunner called over the intercom. “Four more closing on our six.”

“American bomber, you are off course” A heavily accented voice said over the radio in English. “Do you require assistance?”

Yeah, the Krauts would be helpful after making damn sure that they shit themselves first. Message sent.

Last edited:
Mission Accomplished: the USAAF gets film of the Luftwaffe jets to show Congress that a massive upgrade in fighters and bombers are needed Immediately.

Oh interesting, he's not working for Vladimir. He's working for the Russian monarchists.

He's working for Russian monarchists who HATE Vladimir. That's the bonus.

Mission Accomplished: the USAAF gets film of the Luftwaffe jets to show Congress that a massive upgrade in fighters and bombers are needed Immediately.

Its weird when a story like this makes you so more pro-German that you just don't want the US to receive that upgrade.

GERMANY UBER ALLES!

FBKampfer

Banned
Yes, but only recently. There has been layers of covers. The first cover was for her dad beeing involved in killing a would-be rapist, the second only recently revealed was that Kat was raped at age 12, became pregnant and had an abortion.

Chapter link? I think I missed a chapter there somewhere?

Something to consider:
The US has three hurdles to jump before reaching OTL Tech for the era:

No Tizzard mission giving away the family jewels of Radar, Jet Engine Technology and Tube Alloys. This isn't a huge thing, but ITTL it's maybe a 5 year delay in things like the Manhattan project or American jet development. All in all, in peace time, this is not terminal.

No War driven development. What they have is "good enough" because they've not been shown otherwise yet. Military technology will be hamstrung by the lack of urgency and, because there's no war they're involved in, no budget either.

No captured German technology or personnel to speed things along and help the Americans to avoid the development dead ends the Nazis went down OTL.

The B29 flying in 1944 ITTL is the exception rather than the rule.

With the Soviet Union defeated and the NKVD files being exposed, the fallout may not be all that bad.
I think there is enough dirt on all sides so that it really doesn't matter which party or ideological spectrum that someone is on, that no one side is going to gain any political advantage.

The biggest losers will be the ones who where the most publicly against communism but were on the NKVD paylist.
This will basically destroy any remnants of the CPUSA as it will expose the party as taking orders from Moscow.
The German Secret Services would rather prefer not to expose the Soviet spies (well, with some exceptions, to make an example of), but blackmail them into working for Germany instead.
The US has three hurdles to jump before reaching OTL Tech for the era:

No Tizzard mission giving away the family jewels of Radar, Jet Engine Technology and Tube Alloys. This isn't a huge thing, but ITTL it's maybe a 5 year delay in things like the Manhattan project or American jet development. All in all, in peace time, this is not terminal.

No War driven development. What they have is "good enough" because they've not been shown otherwise yet. Military technology will be hamstrung by the lack of urgency and, because there's no war they're involved in, no budget either.
That's what I've been saying too.

Congress is going to be livid. "You're telling us that after spending two billion dollars on the B-29 it's already obsolete? And you couldn't figure that out from available intelligence beforehand? Now you want us to spend God-only-knows how much trying to match the Germans?"

Mission Accomplished, indicated by that cheeky “Do you require assistance?”

Edit: "Do you require assistance?" is an ICAO standard phrase. The cheekiness is that it usually means "WTF? Are you really this clueless?"

Last edited: