Vladimir is quite the piece of garbage. I feel bad for Jehane since she'll likely be forced into the role now.

Vladimir is the poster child for the Dunning-Kruger Effect

In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein persons of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude. (underline added)
I think this delusion is highly likely to have a fatal outcome for him.

If one of his goons exposes Jehane, I'm pretty sure he gets to say hello to the Fallbeil for the earlier Beria treason, possibly looking up, for all the misery caused.

On the upside, it would do enormous credit to Kat (and Klaus and Marcella) across all nobility and aristocracy of Europe to have protected the heir so unselfishly and readily. Feodora's acceptance would be far more widespread.

“My office in Jena was broken into while I was absent” Peter said, “Whoever did it went through the files and they were looking for specific information.”

Marcella didn’t show any external discomfort at that information. However, Peter saw that there were subtle signs that she had understood the implications of that. So, this was where Kat had learned to do that.

“They didn’t…” Marcella started to say.

“I don’t keep sensitive files in my office” Peter said, “That includes the medical histories of my patients.”

“Good” Marcella said, visibly relieved by that detail.

“The problem is that it was obvious what they were looking for” Peter said, “It’s the one thing that you and Kat have both lied to me about repeatedly. It took some doing on my part but I found what I hope is the only documentation but even without direct confirmation someone is eventually going to run with it and you’ll need to be prepared for that.”

Marcella went from being relieved to being stricken with that news. “So, you knew?” She asked.

Peter nodded.

“Do you have any idea what they put her through?” Marcella asked, “They made her relive the whole thing, by the end she bit through her lip rather than answer another question.”

Peter sat quietly, he understood that. All of that had been there including how Kat’s lower lip had to be stitched.

“I wasn’t about to let her be destroyed mentally and physically” Marcella said, “That was the alternative. She didn’t understand what was happening…” Marcella trailed off.

“I read the file” Peter said, “I would have reached the same conclusions. There was a reason why the laws were changed to make such panels unnecessary.”

“Even so” Marcella said, “If any of that gets out then she will be ruined.”

“No one blames a twelve-year-old in such a case…” Peter started to say.

“Bullshit” Marcella snapped, “Girls never ask to get raped or end up having to abort their rapist get but you’d better believe that society blames them when…”

Marcella paused, before looking over Peter’s shoulder. “I told you to go upstairs!” Marcella yelled furiously. Peter looked over his shoulder and saw Gianna with a shocked look on her face.

&Deity! That's horrid in so many ways.

If one of his goons exposes Jehane, I'm pretty sure he gets to say hello to the Fallbeil for the earlier Beria treason, possibly looking up, for all the misery caused.

On the upside, it would do enormous credit to Kat (and Klaus and Marcella) across all nobility and aristocracy of Europe to have protected the heir so unselfishly and readily. Feodora's acceptance would be far more widespread.

Not necessarily. Remember the propaganda movie at the start of the war with the wounded young girl falling into a snowbank and the only sounds in a blacked-out theatre being her breathing and heartbeat that slowed and stopped? I think that a lot of people will pissed off because they were lied to.

Part 34, Chapter 405
Chapter Four Hundred Five

24th August 1944

Berlin

After the 4th Division had secured a leg of the Trans-Siberian Railroad they had finally gotten orders to return to Wunsdorf. It was there that they got introduced to the delightful points system that determined who got to go on leave or get discharged. Medals won, combat time, promotions earned all were factored in an incomprehensible way. They had also learned that the triumphant march through the center of Berlin had been done by the 3rd Army Corps in honor of them being the first to reach Moscow weeks earlier. Needless to say, there were a lot of people in the 2nd and 5th Corps who had a lot to say on that subject, none of it complimentary.

Hans himself had no trouble securing leave, being highly decorated and having received a field Commission. He had been expecting a warm homecoming. Instead he had learned that he wasn’t the only one who’d had found a disappointing situation when he had arrived in Heinersdorf. Kat had jumped the line the same way that he had except she had wanted out. On her arrival home, a day before Hans she had gotten into a knockdown drag out fight with Marcella. Aunt Marcella had been vague about what had happened but had immediately sent Hans to find Kat who had abruptly left leaving Marcella terrified. The trouble was that he didn’t have the first clue about where to start.

To his surprise it was Gianna who had helped. She had told Hans that Kat kept few secrets from Helene. That was how Hans had found himself driving across Berlin with Gianna in his Father’s car to rescue Helene from the von Richthofen townhouse. With the end of the war her younger siblings had returned to Berlin and on the train between Poland and Russia Helene had compared her younger sisters to water vapor. They had spent the war in a Swiss boarding school. Then there was Helene’s younger brother, Albrecht, who had ridden out the war as a research student at University. He and Helene’s father were not exactly seeing eye to eye. Now they were back and Helene had to get out of there before there was a body to hide.

They had met Helene on the street, Hans had the impression that she had snuck out. Not that having Helene along was a hardship but then again there were the first words out of her mouth.

“How come you never wrote me back?” Helene asked.

“I had a lot on my mind” Hans said, “Leading a Company and not getting shot or blown up requires focus.”

“I guess” Helene said, “You’re forgiven, now what are we doing here?”

“Kat’s missing” Gianna said from the back seat, “She was upset from a fight she got into with Aunt Marcella and stormed out.”

“We were hoping that you might know where she’s hiding” Hans said, “Marcella’s worried.”

“Then you have a serious problem on your hands” Helene said, “Kat had the gratitude of the Imperial family and every time Kat got presented with another medal she got land among other things granted to her.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Hans asked.

“She could be anywhere” Helene said, “Kat has a day’s head start, a nearly unlimited amount of cash and a dozen or so properties to hide on.”

“Shit” Hans muttered. This could take weeks.

“It’s a good thing you called me then” Helene said, “Because I think I know where she went.”

Langeoog Island, Germany

It had taken hours to drive here and then they had to leave the car and catch the ferry across to the island where Helene said Kat came to hide. It took several minutes of knocking on the door before Kat answered and she looked worse than Hans had ever seen her. Bloodshot eyes with dark circles under them, tangled hair and she was wearing a nightgown in the middle of the afternoon. Had it really been only a day?

“Leave me alone” Kat snapped before trying to slam the door in their faces only to be blocked by Hans shoving his foot in the door.

The door flew back open and Kat directly attacked Hans to his surprise. He was twice as big as she was but too late a voice in the back of his head whispered that the SKA was trained to take on the worst the NKVD could dish out while outnumbered and alone. Nothing the Panzer Grenadiers had trained him to do could be compared to that. He was hampered because he couldn’t bring himself to do anything that might hurt Kat and she was attacking with hate fueled rage. He found himself getting choked out when Helene finally got through to Kat.

“Stop it, you’re killing him!” Helene was yelling into her ear as Gianna was unsuccessfully trying to pry Kat’s arms from around Hans neck. Kat let go and Hans was left gasping for air. Kat curled up into a ball there on the front walkway crying and moaning “Leave me alone” over and over. Helene noticed that they had attracted a crowd of curious tourists who were there enjoying their summer holiday.

“Show’s over people” Hans said to them as best he could as he got to his feet. Some of the things Kat had done were going to leave a mark.

Hans picked Kat up to carry her into the house and was shocked at how light she was. Kat had buried her head into his chest and was still crying as Hans set her down on the couch. He stayed with her while Helene and Gianna went into the kitchen to see what the situation was in there. Helene was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon one of the places what Kat hid her supply of good coffee. A few minutes later Helene sat down across from Gianna who had never developed a taste for coffee but had settled for fruit juice mix that they had found in one of the cupboards.

“You need to tell me what the Hell is going on” Helene said.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Remember the propaganda movie at the start of the war with the wounded young girl falling into a snowbank and the only sounds in a blacked-out theatre being her breathing and heartbeat that slowed and stopped? I think that a lot of people will pissed off because they were lied to.
Or perhaps, relieved that she survived after all, and that only the lie told to all successfully kept those who would have kept after her, from actually killing her at a later date.

Cool update, traumas just cant get worked away.
About the fight, with a fit and twice as heavy brother: sure, Kat could/would win a Real fight, but only by quickly deliver incapacitating blows or using that Karambit of hers. Strangling without tools, here strength would kick in, but the story would not lose anything from having Hans waking up seconds/few minutes later with sone warm red and sticky stuff in his face.

Or perhaps, relieved that she survived after all, and that only the lie told to all successfully kept those who would have kept after her, from actually killing her at a later date.

Yeah, I think the modern world of paparazzi and tabloids would be aghast at the deceit, but that era would find it admirable, especially because she does NOT want to be Tsarina, but just wants to be Gianna.

Yeah, I think the modern world of paparazzi and tabloids would be aghast at the deceit, but that era would find it admirable, especially because she does NOT want to be Tsarina, but just wants to be Gianna.

Not to mention, the NKVD found her in the middle of nowhere, Canada. If they can get to her there, no place on earth is safe. Best for them to think she's dead.

Not to mention, the NKVD found her in the middle of nowhere, Canada. If they can get to her there, no place on earth is safe. Best for them to think she's dead.

"That movie was incorrect only because she was found in time; ten minutes later and she would have died. The NKVD assassinated the rest of her family in the middle of the Canadian wilderness. If they had thought she was still alive they would have tried again just like they tried assassinating Empress Kira and her children and the Empress' brother Vladimir."

Seems everyone skipped the most crazy thing. germany has the complete NKVD archive.. if they share what they know all hell will break loose

Seems everyone skipped the most crazy thing. germany has the complete NKVD archive.. if they share what they know all hell will break loose

The corporations will say that they had full and complete permission from their governments and Germany does not have clean hands like they want the world to think.

The real problems will be the disclosure of payments by the NKVD to individuals for "Consulting", the big surprises will be payments to conservative columnists to promote isolation and "Fair Play" for the Soviet Union.

There will also be lists of individuals who are in politics, business, and the media on who is "Red", "Fellow Traveler", "Parlor Pink", "Useful Idiot", "Anti-Communist Left", " Corruptible Conservative", and any other labels that we can think of.

The corporations will say that they had full and complete permission from their governments
That would be a whole order of magnitude of 'Worse', especially for the Governments in question. Colluding with an aggressor, criminal and genocidal state? There's having mud on your face and there's this.
and Germany does not have clean hands like they want the world to think.
Of course they haven't. We already know ITTL of some of the German Secret Services actions in South America, Italy, Spain and USA. Only the most idealistic would actually believe that there are nations who don't involve themselves in such high-stakes games. It's true now as it was then. What difference does that make without hard evidence to back it?

The corporations will say that they had full and complete permission from their governments and Germany does not have clean hands like they want the world to think.

The real problems will be the disclosure of payments by the NKVD to individuals for "Consulting", the big surprises will be payments to conservative columnists to promote isolation and "Fair Play" for the Soviet Union.

There will also be lists of individuals who are in politics, business, and the media on who is "Red", "Fellow Traveler", "Parlor Pink", "Useful Idiot", "Anti-Communist Left", " Corruptible Conservative", and any other labels that we can think of.

And when those names come to light they'll be crucified in the press like the captured gladiators of Spartacus were crucified along the Appian Way between Rome and Capua.

That would be a whole order of magnitude of 'Worse', especially for the Governments in question. Colluding with an aggressor, criminal and genocidal state? There's having mud on your face and there's this.

There are going to be too many corporations and nations that were involved in doing business with the Soviet Union that in the end, everyone gets a pass unless it can be proven that they were active in the most serious of human rights violations, then it will be glossed over.