The Hamilcar glider had a tandem cockpit above the wing, whilst it was safe from the load charging forward it was a death trap if the glider nosed over. this could result in the cockpit and the pliot's being crushed by the glider and the load.

I would guess that this would be the equivalent of the ME 321, so yes they would be above the load.

The Wiki for the Me 321 has a see-also to the wooden Ju 322. What I find quite hilarious is:

Following the cancellation of the project, the Ju 322 V1 completed a few more test flights, but was cut up for fuel along with the Ju 322 V2 and 98 partially completed gliders.​

Last edited:

FBKampfer

Banned
Germany is currently using something like a Mp 43/FAL hybrid for elite troops, and probably limited issue to standard line units.

My understanding is that all German military units are using a type of "assault rifle". I know it is using the 8mm Kurtz cartridge which is what the OTL Stg-44 used and is ballistically comparable to the cartridge that the AK-47 uses.

What I'm not sure of is if the German rifle in this TL is select fire or not. (Select between fully automatic or semi-automatic)

FBKampfer

Banned
I think the standard issue is the K33 SLR, and for some reason he's changed it to 7.92x38k instead of the 7.92x33.

And I would imagine what he's changed the Mp43 into is select fire. Especially with that longer 38Kurtz round, it's going to be most effective in semiautomatic.

Part 33, Chapter 389
Author's Note, the 7.92x38k was one of several cartridges tested by the Heer in the late 20s-early 30s in OTL. ITTL it went into production as opposed to the much later 33mm cartridge.

Chapter Three Hundred Eighty-Nine

4th July 1944

Moscow, Russia

Molotov felt like he was about to have a panic attack. He didn’t pretend to understand the nuances of military tactics but the idea that you might build defensive works only to have your enemies occupy them struck him as the height of absurdity but that was exactly what had happened. What was ironically called Intelligence had told them that the day before the Germans, French and British had landed an entire army by parachute. The sabotage campaign that had been going on for months had masked the path finding operation. He saw it clearly now even if it should have been obvious the day before. Every sort of installation had been hit but care had been taken to completely destroy anything that would have opposed the landing.

Now, Molotov was staring at the reality of between fifteen and twenty divisions of paratroopers less than a hundred kilometers from Moscow. Worse of all they were between the bulk of the South-West Front Army and the city. The South-West Front was also faced with the entirety of a German Group including dozens of Armored Divisions bearing down on them. They were going to get ground to paste…

The phone rang. Reluctantly Molotov picked up the phone and listened to one of Stalin’s Georgian favorites passing along the latest instructions. Stalin had just ordered Marshal Tukhachevsky shot on sight. Molotov felt the blood drain out of his face. Tukhachevsky had never exactly been in good standing with Stalin. It was his obvious competence that had kept him alive. The worst disasters of this war had happened when Stalin had insisted that something be done against the Marshal’s advice. Now it was obvious that Stalin was blaming Tukhachevsky and had probably just put the final nail in their collective coffin.

Near Kozhinka, Tula Oblast, Russia

The 6th Division was heading north with as much speed as Horst could get from them. The fortunate part was that they had not encounter too much resistance so far. The primary goal at the moment was the city of Tula. His orders were to take the city and if he couldn’t do that he was to bypass it but not before levelling the armaments factories that were said to be there. It seemed to Horst that the best way to go about doing that was to get there before his Division was expected.

There was no official announcement of what was going on, but Horst had heard word that Army Group South wanted to get Moscow before Center or North got there. There was also growing competition between the Corps of Army Group South. The 3rd Corps, which Horst was now a part of, was slightly behind the 2nd and 5th Corps. Needless to say the Generaloberst in charge of the 3rd wasn’t pleased with that current state of affairs. Horst was perfectly happy to help out in changing that. The only problem he saw was that he was totally dependent upon Emil’s Green Devils keeping the bridges over the Oka river intact.

Near Volovo, Tula Oblast, Russia

Hans looked in disgust at the pay books of the Russian soldiers that had been cut to pieces in front of them. He had seen too late that many of them weren’t even armed. Before he could call for a ceasefire half of them had been killed. His Company had just demolished a “Regiment” but it was nothing to be proud of, it was obviously a penal unit of some kind. The bastard commanding the Russians had obviously decided that having them soak up ammunition was the best use for them. Later it had turned into confused bloody mess as that same “Regiment” had gotten caught in the crossfire. Intelligence was still trying to get a handle on the number of dead, nine hundred and counting.

Hans flipped through the pay books, dozens of them. They had been told that they should take as many prisoners as possible because after the war they would need every pair of hands that they could to rebuild this country. While Hans understood it was propaganda, which is what Jost had muttered it was, he also understood that there was a great deal of truth in that.

He opened a pay book at random and puzzled out the name in Cyrillic, Mikhail Kala… something or other. Twenty-four years old, twenty-five next November, about five months younger than Hans was. Hans threw it on the pile with the rest. That man could just as easily have been one of his classmates in school. Perhaps they really were killing the future of this country.

Yelets, Lipetsk Oblast, Russia

Peter Holz was too busy to keep a close eye what was happening around him. His prediction that they would get flooded with wounded had proven true enough. He had been worried about Kat’s reaction towards her impromptu temporary reassignment. While he saw a bit of her infamous temper leak through in the first couple minutes but then she had calmed herself and asked what needed to be done. Peter had tasked her with finding out what needed to be brought in and what was on hand. This is where Kat had proven herself valuable, she had a working knowledge of the helicopters that enabled her to get supplies from anywhere within a hundred or so kilometers quickly.

There was also the fact that no sane Quartermaster gave Kat trouble. Emil had once told Peter that an EK2 was the key to many doors. He was discovering that the PLM that she wore on her throat worked much the same way, except it was a howitzer. Peter only cared because it enabled him to focus on the work in front of him without distraction.

Last edited:
He opened a pay book at random and puzzled out the name in Cyrillic, Mikhail Kala… something or other. Twenty-four years old, twenty-five next November, about five months younger than Hans was. Hans threw it on the pile with the rest. That man could just as easily have been one of his classmates in school. Perhaps they really were killing the future of this country.

Then again, the world might be a slightly better place.

The phone rang. Reluctantly Molotov picked up the phone and listened to one of Stalin’s Georgian favorites passing along the latest instructions. Stalin had just ordered Marshal Tukhachevsky shot on sight. Molotov felt the blood drain out of his face. Tukhachevsky had never exactly been in good standing with Stalin. It was his obvious competence that had kept him alive. The worst disasters of this war had happened when Stalin had insisted that something be done against the Marshal’s advice. Now it was obvious that Stalin was blaming Tukhachevsky and had probably just put the final nail in their collective coffin.

Well, if anything really say Death Knell of a regime, its killing off the last competent man in said regime.

Tukhachevsky even in that ATL cannot catch a break. And that is saying somehting considering that Zhukov got out by luck.

Mikhail Kala

*snort*

Well, no AK47's in this future.

"He opened a pay book at random and puzzled out the name in Cyrillic, Mikhail Kala… something or other. Twenty-four years old, twenty-five next November, about five months younger than Hans was. Hans threw it on the pile with the rest. That man could just as easily have been one of his classmates in school. Perhaps they really were killing the future of this country."

Dang you Peabody!!!!! If we are both ever born in your Timeline you better mail me a few of those German assault rifles to make up for my now vanished pair of AK's. :'(

Wow, what a great update though. It looks like the Russian bear is down for the count. I hope Horst and his division wins the race. Looking forward to possibly him and Emil linking up!

Some thoughts of mine...

This is how Kat is eased out of the SKA, they literally leave her behind.
She now has a very important role to play as the one who develops a new philosophy of combat medical treatment with the use of helicopters to get the wounded to hospitals as quickly as possible.
Kat was studying medicine and psychology in college before the war, and she may go back to that after the war and now maybe she will see herself as a healer and not as an agent of destruction.

With officers such as Emil Holz, Hans Mischner, Kurt Knispel, and Walter Horst, I can see in a post war Germany, that being an enlisted soldier first and earning combat honors will give you a leg up in the career ladder in the military.

Tukhachevsky seems to me that he is a survivor and may have planned an escape route for himself.

Some thoughts of mine...

This is how Kat is eased out of the SKA, they literally leave her behind.
She now has a very important role to play as the one who develops a new philosophy of combat medical treatment with the use of helicopters to get the wounded to hospitals as quickly as possible.
Kat was studying medicine and psychology in college before the war, and she may go back to that after the war and now maybe she will see herself as a healer and not as an agent of destruction.

That would be a desirable outcome.

With officers such as Emil Holz, Hans Mischner, Kurt Knispel, and Walter Horst, I can see in a post war Germany, that being an enlisted soldier first and earning combat honors will give you a leg up in the career ladder in the military.

Yes; many times this.

Tukhachevsky seems to me that he is a survivor and may have planned an escape route for himself.

I think it's highly probable that Tukhachevsky has Stalin's communications penetrated. Either Tukhachevsky disappears into the woodwork, he surrenders to Wolvogle, or there's at least one NKVD division moving on Moscow to deal with Stalin. I'm not betting on anything, however, because our esteemed Peabody-Martini has an unexcelled ability to amaze and surprise us.

FBKampfer

Banned
I could see Molotov giving Tukhachevsky a hand, he's obviously the best general they have, and Molotov never made any bones about his loyalty being only to the Soviet Union. Perhaps this is where the seeds of a coup are planted.

We may find that Geberal-secretary Stalin is killed by a bomb, after refusing to seek safety of a shelter denied to the brave peasants and workers defending the Soviet Union.

I could see Molotov giving Tukhachevsky a hand, he's obviously the best general they have, and Molotov never made any bones about his loyalty being only to the Soviet Union. Perhaps this is where the seeds of a coup are planted.

We may find that Geberal-secretary Stalin is killed by a bomb, after refusing to seek safety of a shelter denied to the brave peasants and workers defending the Soviet Union.
Its hard to say, but with Tukhachevsky gone and zhukov gone, what other High profile scapegoats remain.
Its the last Call for the Soviet Union and for Molotov.

or there's at least one NKVD division moving on Moscow to deal with Stalin.
Assuming there's any left.

Sitch is getting bad enough I reckon NKVD units are getting sent to the front, less some of the Red Army wonder why all these useful divisions are left behind.

Especially since without Breia, someone Stalin kinda trusted (He didn't want his daughter around the man, but he kept him on despite that), that means all those grunts could easily be used by a replacement to change the regime. Better they die in combat then that.

Part 33, Chapter 390
Chapter Three Hundred Ninety

7th July 1944

Yelets, Lipetsk Oblast, Russia

“Try not to move your head” Kat said to the Oberfähnrich as she looked under the bandage that was on the side of his neck, “What did you say your name was again?”

“Gerhard” He answered.

“There’s a Gerhard in my neighborhood back home” Kat said, “Everyone calls him Gert, he became a bartender after he got tired of the railroad.”

“How bad is it?” Gerhard asked.

“Messy but superficial” Kat said. Over the last few days she had learned that the men who were brought in were a mixed bag. There were those like Gerhard who were panicking over relatively minor wounds. Then there were others like the Oberfeld an hour earlier with a couple bullets in his chest who still had the wherewithal to proposition Kat. She found the former annoying and when it came to the latter Kat didn’t know to be impressed or offended.

“How do you know that?” Gerhard said.

“Because you are still alive” Kat said offhandedly. She didn’t bother to tell him that he would have bled out or been killed instantly if the piece of shrapnel had passed through in almost any other manner. Gerhard didn’t need to know that.

Kat wrote that down on the tag and pinned it to the front of his vest. “We’ll need you to wait here until a surgeon can get to you, make sure that there’s nothing lurking in there and close that up” She said, “You’ll have an interesting scar to show off.”

Gerhard looked around him uneasily. One of the unfortunate realities of this arrangement was that both sorts of waiting had to be done in the same place. Those who could wait for medical care and those who were beyond it.

“They can’t hurt you” Kat said firmly to Gerhard as she stood up to go towards the next patient, “So please be respectful.”

Once the dire supply situation had been sorted and the system that had been set up was working. Wounded being evacuated to Voronezh by helicopter, then the same helicopters bringing supplies and personnel back. That was when she had found herself getting questioned by Doctor Holz about what she was capable of doing here. He had said that he found Kat’s practical knowledge of human anatomy a bit disturbing considering what she had done with it. She had also received medical training beyond first aid, something that Kat had insisted that most of the 1st Imperial Foot receive after that incident with the Empress, herself included. Most of all it was the SKA patch that had lent her the stature and elevated her to someone who must be listened to by most of the medics and nurses.

That was how Kat found herself sorting the wounded as they came in, freeing up at least one of the Surgeons. With every new batch of wounded she cursed the name of Walter Koch for leaving her to deal with this. Fortunately for her the numbers had dwindled over the last few hours. Something had changed.

Berlin

Mikhail Tukhachevsky, Marshal of the Soviet Union and his staff surrendered this morning to Army Group South Headquarters. Due to this unexpected occurrence, we await further instructions. Signed Generalfeldmarschall Manfred Ritter von Wolvogle

Augustus Lang had to hide his annoyance when he read that telegram. What it really said was that Mikhail Tukhachevsky had surrendered to Heinz Guderian but von Wolvogle hadn’t mentioned his subordinate by name. Lang doubted that von Wolvogle had intended to slight Guderian but the old General’s tendency towards self-aggrandizement had struck once again. Lang had no doubt that von Wolvogle would give proper credit and make sure the record reflected reality but not before he was the hero of the hour.

Overall though, it was good news. Better than some of the things that were crossing his desk. The effort to determine the lessons of the war were already being discussed in Wunsdorf and there was to be a preliminary draft report on the recommendations for changes to the equipment and doctrine of the Heer. When Lang had been notified of this he had also been informed that the implementation of those recommendations would take years and it wasn’t going to be cheap. There was this business of wanting to replace every rifle and uniform. That was the last thing Lang wanted to hear. If the German public learned of the state of the Treasury at the moment then it was very possible that they would have a revolution on their hands.

Then there was the first concrete assessment of the cost of the war that was on the verge of concluding. The numbers had been eye popping. In terms of human life, it was easily the most expensive in history. The numbers had run into the millions on both sides even without factoring in the artificial famines and scorched earth tactics employed in Ukraine and Belarus.

Now all this blood drenched business was reaching its final conclusion and Lang was left hoping that the work he had done would be for a lasting peace. The fear was that he had gotten something wrong. Then something like the Bolsheviks or worse would rise again in Russia and a generation from now these same battles would have to be refought.

Lang then looked at the report on his desk covered in stamps letting him know that it was of the highest secrecy. He could practically feel the evil oozing out of it. It was from the research faculty in the Bavarian countryside. They had notified him that they could have a working prototype in a matter of months and wanted to know if they should go ahead. He remembered what Otto Hahn had said about that project when Lang had attempted to talk him into working on it. That it was like handing a loaded gun to a child. During the darkest days of the war when the Russian Army had pushed through Poland and into Germany he would ordered the construction and use of such weapons without hesitation. Now, with the crisis having passed he realized just how dangerous they potentially were.

Last edited:
WOW!
This is still amazing. I'd say that he should order the construction of a working model; better to have the monstrosity and not use it, than to discover that Stalin has a large gas reserve waiting for the most desperate hour--a gas reserve that his previous marshal refused to use...

WOW!
This is still amazing. I'd say that he should order the construction of a working model; better to have the monstrosity and not use it, than to discover that Stalin has a large gas reserve waiting for the most desperate hour--a gas reserve that his previous marshal refused to use...

This.