Md139115

Banned
I think Helene likes him.

It's bad enough that that poor cameraman is dating Schmidt's daughter, Schmidt is at least somewhat controlled personality-wise by his analytical mind and stubborn wife. If BARON GENERALFIELDMARSHAL MANFRED VON RICHTHOFEN finds out that HIS ONLY DAUGHTER is DATING a HEER JUNIOR OFFICER...

I'll put it this way... Germany doesn't need to develop a nuclear bomb. Just drop Hans in the middle of Moscow, send Richthofen in after him, then clear the area... I think a 70kT explosion would be a bit conservative of a projection, don't you?

It's bad enough that that poor cameraman is dating Schmidt's daughter, Schmidt is at least somewhat controlled personality-wise by his analytical mind and stubborn wife. If BARON GENERALFIELDMARSHAL MANFRED VON RICHTHOFEN finds out that HIS ONLY DAUGHTER is DATING a HEER JUNIOR OFFICER...

I'll put it this way... Germany doesn't need to develop a nuclear bomb. Just drop Hans in the middle of Moscow, send Richthofen in after him, then clear the area... I think a 70kT explosion would be a bit conservative of a projection, don't you?

Hans could make a preemptive strike: "Generfieldmarshal, you probably know my sister Katherine von Mischner? Helene's friend? Major in the SKA?"

Like the update as always, but have to say the naval battle seems off. Gambling the entire fleet with an untested weapon. Would make sense if the carriers had been held back and/or an interception before the strike. Its a huge risk as described.

Like the update as always, but have to say the naval battle seems off. Gambling the entire fleet with an untested weapon. Would make sense if the carriers had been held back and/or an interception before the strike. Its a huge risk as described.

It seems like the interceptors were already fully launched so that the fleet would have massive air cover regardless of the fuses. Nonetheless, Jacob is known for calculating boldness and it could have blown up on him very badly.

It seems like the interceptors were already fully launched so that the fleet would have massive air cover regardless of the fuses. Nonetheless, Jacob is known for calculating boldness and it could have blown up on him very badly.
Interceptors were launched, but as described its the AAA first, then interceptors after the remnants. Saving the planes, but risking the ships..Not an OTL priority by anybody AFAIK.Maybe its a mistake?

Interceptors were launched, but as described its the AAA first, then interceptors after the remnants. Saving the planes, but risking the ships..Not an OTL priority by anybody AFAIK.Maybe its a mistake?

He's not immune to them, especially of hubris - Sauvageot comes to mind and his Pearl Harboring Vladivostok could have gone VERY badly.

By the way is speaking german still a thing in the US? From my knowledge, in otl most US-germans stopped speaking german because of the world wars.

By the way is speaking german still a thing in the US? From my knowledge, in otl most US-germans stopped speaking german because of the world wars.

Much of that happened after the Great War OTL, so I would say most Germans have Anglicized their names, and that speaking German has declined. Perhaps there are still enclave holdouts, but remember, in this timeline, the US got into the war by a German warship attacking an American warship. So, the initial hostility probably would have been worse.

Part 32, Chapter 380
Chapter Three Hundred Eighty

21st May 1944

Off Formosa, South China Sea

The way the battle played out was as prewar planners had figured that battles would play out in this war. Their side launched their planes and your side launched yours. The difference here was that a conventional battle wasn’t what the Japanese were expecting from Jacob. They had spent days waiting for him to spring the trap which cost them the initiative. They had been forced to engage in a time and place of his choosing. While technology used was novel and would be viewed as “untested” by those who didn’t know better, the circumstance of its introduction had been optimal. The results spoke for themselves. The Fleet had sustained minimal damage while the two hundred odd Japanese airplanes had ceased to be a factor. Jacob was aware that he had probably just extended the presence of Battleships in the World’s Navies by a decade or more but he could take the long view. By the time the world came around to his thinking the High Seas Fleet would be the world leader in Carrier aviation.

Jacob heard the signal come in from the British Flagship, the HMS Prince of Wales. He knew what the message said before the man came running in from the Radio Room, Admiral Philips sends his compliments. Their British and French Allies would have had front row seat for what just happened.

“Send a reply” Jacob said, “Tell him that the Fleet thanks his ships for lending weight to the AA and that the fighter interceptors from his fleet acquitted themselves well.”

Jacob made a mental note that he would need to send a similar message to the French and Dutch ships as well. Best to head off diplomatic headaches before they started.

Jacob turned and began listening to the radio traffic as the strike group from the High Seas Fleet reached the Japanese fleet.

22nd May 1944

Near Komsomolskiy, Voronezh Oblast, Russia

After weeks of waiting they were finally getting back into the war. Which seemed to involve more waiting. Kurt was sitting in the cupola looking at the long line of vehicles on the road ahead, at least it was moving, albeit slowly. The doctrine was that the heavies would tear a hole and Panther IIs like Kurt’s would race to exploit it. More often than not they were either stuck in traffic like this or they would have to make a go of it themselves.

The Tigers had the problem of being prone to breakdown, had a tendency to collapse bridges or sink under their own weight. Just transporting them created massive logistical problems. It was rumored that one of the lessons of this war already was that mobility and armor had to be balanced. This had killed some of the more imaginative paper projects that were said to exist. To Kurt the idea of a Panzer that weighed 100 tons or more was madness. He couldn’t imagine a vehicle like that going up a dirt road in the Russian countryside like they were right now.

For whatever reason Lars slammed the Panther to a halt without warning. Which resulted in cursing from though out the vehicle. Lars being an old hand at this just ignored it. That was the sort of thing that came with driving a Panzer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A bayonet was not exactly the greatest tool for use in minesweeping but it was far better than leaving half a leg here in Russia. Jost was exactly where he was at his best. He was watching the distant tree line with a MG42. The rest of the Platoon worked to mark a safe passage through the minefield by probing the ground ahead of them, hopefully without setting one off. No one had any doubts about how Jost would react if he saw movement over there. He would shoot at it without hesitation.

Hans was sitting with Soren watching all of this. He had hated to order the men to do something so inherently dangerous but his job was to get through the defenses to Moscow and he had been told flatly that taking all the chances was not. There were rumored to be several bands of defensive lines between here and there. Word was that they hadn’t even reached that main Russian fortifications that were somewhere ahead of them.

“Jost said that you got a letter from a woman in the last mail call” Soren said. Of all times to bring that up.

“Yeah, I did” Hans said. One of the problems in this Platoon was that there were few secrets. Everyone knew that Hans had had a few girlfriends over the years but the implications of his career had always frightened them off after they discovered what those were.

“How come you didn’t mention it?” Soren asked.

“It’s complicated” Hans said, “I met her on the train back from Berlin, she wants to see me again sometime.”

“That doesn’t sound so complicated” Soren said.

“She is one of my sister’s closest friends and her father is a Luftwaffe General” Hans said.

“I can see how you wouldn’t want to run afoul of your sister” Soren said, “But how bad could the father be?”

“Helene’s father is Freiherr von Richthofen” Hans said and watched as Soren’s jaw dropped.

“Have you lost your mind?” Soren asked, “It would be safer to skip buck naked through this minefield.”

“As I said, its complicated” Hans replied.

“I’d say that is an understatement” Soren said.

“That’s why I haven’t responded” Hans said, “Safer that way.”

Soren just shook his head, “Don’t be an idiot” He said, “You upset her by ignoring her, she’ll run straight to Poppa and you’ll be in a world of shit.”

That was an angle Hans hadn’t considered. He really was screwed here no matter what he did.

Last edited:
“As I said, its complicated” Hans replied.

“I’d say that is an understatement” Soren said.

“That’s why I haven’t responded” Hans said, “Safer that way.”

Soren just shook his head, “Don’t be an idiot” He said, “You upset her by ignoring her, she’ll run straight to Poppa and you’ll be in a world of shit.”

That was an angle Hans hadn’t considered. He really was screwed here no matter what he did.

Hans, when dealing with women you only need to know two words: "yes" and "Dear."

Furthermore, she IS exactly alike to her Father in personality, meaning that when she gets interested in a guy, she GETS interested, and FUCK whatever it's the opinion of her father, to the groaning realization of Herr Richthofen, and the chuckling of her mother.

Remember that Manfred hasn't much rights to question his daughter's boyfriend choices considering that he married his commoner wife, once a Nurse at the end of the First Great War, to the sheer outrage of his own Family.

At least Helene its interested in a Soldier, now an Officer, who it's in a good path in the Heer, and that has a similar, yet different mix of rationality and crazy than her old man. Also the fact that he is the brother of Baroness Mischner, and his own career history and awards ironically shields him of most of the questioning.

...... It will be hilarious when Kat points to Helene that she fell for a guy who shares some aspects with her old man.

Actually, since receiving and signing the recommendation for Helene's EK, Manfred has realized that she's not his little girl anymore.

Actually, since receiving and signing the recommendation for Helene's EK, Manfred has realized that she's not his little girl anymore.
That is about career choices.

This is about a guy who is the target of your daughter's romantic interest, and in this case well,.... Denial is a wonderful thing when a father has to contemplate the potential sexual life of his female child.

Think that someone like SCHMIDT had to be reminded for his wife about the logical viewpoint about his youngest being interested in the Cine guy, otherwise he would have been contemplating to fire the poor guy from a Cannon of his flagship.

Now think about MANFRED'S initial reaction....... (snickers)