Oberstleutnant Von Mischner ... or it would be downright Oberst???... Anyway, after this to her groaning resignation, although to this point she may get the idea of share the "misery" , asking that all soldiers and officers of the 1st Foot Guard/SKA to get also a single rank raise to attempt to stop her own rank raise, only to be given that and a TWO Rank raise straight into the Oberst position, to then be sent after her protocol training and this, straight into London and Buckingham Palace, as the Abwehr needs Fleming and his group of NKVD bitches to further the lie.

Going to be hilarious if Burgess its getting instructions from Fleming only to turn, see Kat, scream like a little girl and faint, to her deadpan face and his subordinates behind her what are trying to not giggle like idiots and failing.
.... not sure of what else can happen....

I had almost forgotten Fleming's Fools. Nice touch. He's probably done a Pujold and "recruited" more "agents."

By the way, who is the current British Monarch? Kat, Elizabeth and Margaret are likely to have a good time.

Last edited:
Stalin in OTL trusted dictatorships more than democracies because he could not understand the reason for self imposed restraints on power by the leaders.
So Stalin trusted Hitler more the British or French elected officials.

I had almost forgotten Fleming's Fools. Nice touch. He's probably done a Pujold and "recruited" more "agents."

By the way, who is the current British Monarch? Kat, Elisbeth and Margaret are likely to have a good time.

I think it's George VI, though maybe with a different future Queen Mother.

The lesson today is when you go hunting for a Kat, make sure that you have your guns out first or the Kat will rip you some new holes.

That is so going to get your men killed.
My preference going down for taking out Kat, would be:
  1. Full multi regimental artillery strike on her position
  2. Catch her in an open field with a dozen MG42's
  3. If you must take her down in the office, (bad idea to take on a close combat expert at close quarters) throw a half a dozen hand grenades into her office
  4. If you must absolutely capture her alive, use either flashbangs(if they are invented) or step into the office and shoot her right away with multiple bean bags. Then strip, clip, and fully restrained in a metal locked casket she goes and stays.
PS option 4 is now off the table as the next group of idiots going through the door is going to be met by exploding Claymore mines mounted in her desk.

PS option 4 is now off the table as the next group of idiots going through the door is going to be met by exploding Claymore mines mounted in her desk.

OTL, Walter Schellenberg* had the desk in his office fitted with machine guns, according to his memoirs.

*Head of the Foreign Intelligence section of the SD. This TL, he's probably a lawyer as he joined the SS in OTL to get on. Wonder where Albert Speer is in this TL?

That is so going to get your men killed.
My preference going down for taking out Kat, would be:
  1. Full multi regimental artillery strike on her position
  2. Catch her in an open field with a dozen MG42's
  3. If you must take her down in the office, (bad idea to take on a close combat expert at close quarters) throw a half a dozen hand grenades into her office
  4. If you must absolutely capture her alive, use either flashbangs(if they are invented) or step into the office and shoot her right away with multiple bean bags. Then strip, clip, and fully restrained in a metal locked casket she goes and stays.

I'm sure if you must capture her alive, you could start with the rhino tranquilizers, and escalate as need be

Part 30, Chapter 340
Chapter Three Hundred-Forty

25th October 1943

Near Kolach, Russia

Kurt was coming back from leave. If he thought that being an officer would gain him anything on this train he was mistaken. Here he was just one more junior officer on his way back to the front, that was until he crossed the river Don. Two MPs boarded the train and were looking for Rittmeister Knispel. Kurt had learned that was his actual rank, Wolvogle had insisted that change to further cement the Panzer Corps to their cavalry roots. “Here” Kurt said.

“The Old Man wants to talk to you before you join your unit, Sir” One of the MPs said.

There could only be one Old Man in that context, Kurt wondered what he wanted. With that he followed the MPs off the train towards another train that was parked on a siding. From the outside it looked like any other troop train. Kurt could see the car at the end was a stable car and a dark horse was watching banefully through the window grate. Kurt recognized whose horse that was, not that it was a surprise.

Inside was totally different. Kurt walked through a car that was set up as a situation room followed by a car that packed full of radio equipment. The entire Front from the Black Sea to Finland was on the wall. Then through a sleeper car and finally into a rail car that looked like it was decorated in early French bordello. Seated there at a table in what was arguably his natural habitat was Generalfeldmarschall Manfred von Wolvogle.

“This is quite a production, Sir” Kurt said.

“I got tired of flying around the front” Wolvogle said, “This rail car was a gift from Willy while he was still Emperor, I’ve made a few additions over the years.”

“I guess it’s good to be king” Kurt said.

“Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise” Wolvogle said, “Now have a seat we’ve a great deal to discuss.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

A couple hours later Kurt’s head was still spinning from what Wolvogle had told him. The old General had been true to his word and had Kurt’s Company guarding his headquarters but at the moment it was impossible to tell exactly what any of them were guarding. At least the Panthers were parked under camouflage netting. The rest of the bivouac was in shambles though. Empty bottles and trash were everywhere. Work hard, play hard was the way of the Panzer Corps since its inception. This was the hangover.

It took a few minutes to find Olli. It took some kicking to get him awake. “Sorry to wake you at the crack of noon but where the Hell are the Lieutenants” Kurt asked.

“I thought you weren’t back until tomorrow” Olli said.

“I’d thought I’d surprise you all” Kurt replied, “In a few days, we’re getting new Panzers and there’s a General inspection between now and then. I figured I best come back.”

The truth was that home had gotten boring and nothing but strange contradictory information seemed to be coming out of Berlin for the last couple of days.

Kurt watched as Olli’s expression turned to horror. The squalor around them was self-evident.

“How long do we have, Sir?” Olli asked.

“Don’t know” Kurt said, “So you’d better wake everyone and get busy, shouldn’t you.”

Wolvogle had warned him about what to expect when he got here and how to handle the situation. Crack the whip, he’d said, but don’t make it look like you’re the one who’s doing it. They live in fear of what the Brass might do to them, use it.

Kurt could hear the sounds of growing panic as he went searching for Lars. There was no escaping the fact that he needed to get this outfit back into fighting shape. Wolvogle hadn’t told him when it was going to happen but that Kurt would need to be ready when the ongoing operation reached its climax.

Moscow, Russia

The first gambit had failed, not that was surprising. The individuals involved epitomized Karl Marx’s comment about the last Capitalist hung would be the one that sold them the rope. Small greedy men unable to see past their own ambitions. The result was that they had been unable to get a clear read on what was happening in Berlin beyond the fact that the putsch had failed.

Not that things were any better here in Russia. When Nikita Khrushchev had replaced Lavrentiy Beria he had discovered that his predecessor had lots of mouths to feed and they all had razor sharp teeth. The worst part was that Beria was still alive, the Germans were going out of their way to keep the trial fair and only charge him with things that he’d actually done. No one had any doubt as to what the verdict was going to be and it painted a very clear picture of what the Soviet Government and the Communist Party officials could expect if they lost this war.

The good news that Khrushchev was bringing to Stalin was that the information in the reports was borne out by what he’d been able to find out on the Front. The Germans were overextended and were fighting to take the city of Stalingrad before they consolidated their lines for the winter. The German flanks were also being held by allied Divisions that even the Germans believed were second rate. This had been confirmed when it was discovered that the Divisions in question were Romanian and Hungarian. The reports had mentioned that the two armies couldn’t be posted next to each other otherwise they would start fighting themselves and not the Russians.

Next month the Soviet Army would attack across the Volga river and end the German Army’s ability to be an offensive force.

Last edited:
Part 30, Chapter 341
Chapter Three Hundred Forty-One

31st October 1943

Puyallup, Washington State, USA

Another month, another letter from Kat. In this one she spoke about how her actress friend, Lagertha, had based a character in a television show on her and she was looking on this with mixed emotions. Sure, Kat had the ability to laugh at herself but some of the jokes were pretty vicious. Nancy was only aware of television as the latest and greatest toy that her family couldn’t afford but to her it seemed about right that an actress would be involved in the production end. Kat then mentioned something about how there had been an attempted coup. She said that it had ended badly for the plotters without elaboration and Kat had new addition to her ribbon bar which she felt had already been ridiculous before.

Nancy knew that Kat was a bodyguard for the Kaiserin and tended to understate things. Nancy had learned that Kat had been shot throwing herself in front of a sniper’s bullet to save the life of a Russian Prince almost three months after it happened, earning the highest award in her nation for bravery in the process in Time Magazine. All Kat had said was that she’d gotten another couple medals that she felt she hadn’t earned in the letter that she’d written just after that. Whatever had happened in the Palace, Kat had been right in the middle of it and had gotten another medal as a result.

Kat then wished Nancy luck in her Junior year in High School and said that other than passing marks the rest was just needless drama that no one would remember in a few years. Nancy remembered that in her last letter she had gone on at length about her problems. Compared to some of the things that Kat had gone through Nancy’s problems seemed very trite. As the end in a post script Kat had said that unforeseen events would probably delay her next letter.

This time Kat had included a photograph of her brother Hans and his friend Soren Yount. They were sitting in what looked like a boxcar with their gear piled against the plank wall behind them, they were eating an improvised meal. It seemed strange to Nancy that her father steadfastly saw the likes of these two as The Enemy. To her they looked like the sort of men who worked in the lumber mills then hung around the pool halls and bars in Seattle on the weekends.

Nancy looked up from the letter and saw Allen walk past wearing a pirate costume. At 13 he was too old for trick-or-treating but he was going to a Halloween party at school. The whole family was invited but Nancy hadn’t been sure that she wanted to go. Then she remembered an old pair of grey coveralls she had grabbed on a lark thinking they looked just like what Kat liked to wear in the field and an idea formed in her mind. She still had that SKA patch taped to the mirror in her bedroom. It looked like she was going after all and no one would ever guess this costume.

London, England

Kat had been strongly encouraged to volunteer for the role of Special Advisor to the newly formed Special Air Service in England. Being inducted as a Dame Commander of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern had caused a great deal of heat in Berlin. This time word had leaked out that it was because she had led the effort to rescue of the Emperor. Word had also leaked out that she had personally gunned down five men in the process, all German soldiers who had been acting on unlawful orders. While justified this was not without controversy. Getting out of town for a few months had seemed prudent. To avoid the Press, she had taken the underground tunnels under the streets of Berlin in the dead of night arriving just minutes before a scheduled mail plane departed Tempelhof.

Kat should have known that she would be greeted at the Airport by Ian Fleming. “I hope you had a good flight Baroness von Mischner” He said.

“It was good enough” Kat said as she got into the car, if by good you meant hours spent sitting on a steel floor in a frigid cabin. “I was told that we’re going to Wales, that so?”

“Eventually” Fleming said, “There are a few stops here in London first not the least of which is Buckingham Palace.”

“Is that a joke” Kat said, “Right now all I want is a few hours of sleep, followed a few days of quiet. And no Press, there was a reason why I had to sneak out of Berlin.”

“You’ll get all that but tomorrow morning his Majesty King George has requested your presence, his daughters are also particularly excited to make your acquaintance” Fleming said.

“That would require full dress uniform” Kat said smugly, “And I didn’t pack it.” She been expecting a few months in the Welsh countryside no diplomacy or fancy dress involved.

“Nice try, Baroness” Fleming said, “Your young cousin discovered your little oversight and spoke with your mutual friend, Dame Lagertha von Wolvogle in turn who spoke with the Kaiserin. The Luftwaffe has already made arrangements to have it delivered to the German Embassy here in London this evening.”

The next words out of Kat’s mouth caused Fleming to look at her with raised eyebrows and the driver to comment that those words just sounded ugly.

“That is hardly a ladylike thing to say about people who worked on your behalf” Fleming said, Kat could see by the look on his face that he had found that little display amusing. "And you know that here are very few women who can swear effectively in a half dozen different languages."

Kat just wasn’t in the mood to deal with this today, October had been a lousy month. She just stared out the window and watched London roll by.

Last edited:
I think that a lot of boys will be intrested in that SKA Patch. (Authentic, first issue/class, worn by..). Mayby the local high school football team will be called the Puyallup Hellcats

I think that a lot of boys will be intrested in that SKA Patch. (Authentic, first issue/class, worn by..). Mayby the local high school football team will be called the Puyallup Hellcats

If its provenance can be maintained, that patch will be very notable in the early 21st century. (I'm assuming tat it wouldn't be paraded about before then, out of respect for Kat.)

Kat just gave Nancy some BAD advice. GOOD marks are important if Nancy intends to seek out higher education.

If its provenance can be maintained, that patch will be very notable in the early 21st century. (I'm assuming tat it wouldn't be paraded about before then, out of respect for Kat.)

Kat just gave Nancy some BAD advice. GOOD marks are important if Nancy intends to seek out higher education.

I think Kat didn't mean Nancy grades (she is german, education IS a serious matter) but the whole social side of it. Kat was saying that fitting in with the popular "IN"-crowd isn't that important in the first year.