Nope; more like

The Nancy Jensen Archive provides an insight into one of Germany's most enigmatic and private women of the last half-century. Letters from Katherine von Mischner to Miss Jensen started when von Mischner thanked the Jensen family for a morale-boosting package to 'any German soldier.' Their correspondence throughout von Mischner's war career was published as "My friend Kat" (University of Washington Press, 1952.)​
I doubt it. First have on account the date and ages. Nancy would certainly NOT release the correspondence until either Kat expired, or authorized her to do so. As Kat herself its barely into her 20's right now, unless she acquires a form of cancer or "lead overdose" during her work, she is likely to be still alive well up to the 90's if not the XXI Century's dawn. Nancy also would be aware that Kat LOATHS public attention, and would not want to harm someone who she would by this point would see as a friend, confidant and a inspiration as an individual.

So unless something happened, that correspondence and associated photos wouldn't see the public light until the 2010's at least. So the article would be something like:

The Nancy Jensen Archive provides us with a surprising insight to the human side of who its considered by many as the greatest Woman to have lived in the XX Century. Katherine Von Mischner, the Crimson Baroness of Berlin,a trailblazer that utterly shattered the mindset that women weren't as capable as men in the battlefield, revered as "the Mother of the Special Forces" worldwide by her legendary war records, for not talk of her fearsome reputation as one of the best Intelligence operators from what its known between disclosed material and her own known career prewar, during it, then finally at the helm of the Abwehr.

Letters from Katherine von Mischner to Miss Jensen started when von Mischner thanked the Jensen family for a morale-boosting package to 'any German soldier.' Their correspondence throughout von Mischner's war career and years aftewards was published by the granddaughter of Nancy Jensen with her authorization two years after the death of Mrs Von Mischner as "My Friend Kat" (University of Washington Press, 2014.)

I doubt it. First have on account the date and ages. Nancy would certainly NOT release the correspondence until either Kat expired, or authorized her to do so. As Kat herself its barely into her 20's right now, unless she acquires a form of cancer or "lead overdose" during her work, she is likely to be still alive well up to the 90's if not the XXI Century's dawn. Nancy also would be aware that Kat LOATHS public attention, and would not want to harm someone who she would by this point would see as a friend, confidant and a inspiration as an individual.

So unless something happened, that correspondence and associated photos wouldn't see the public light until the 2010's at least. So the article would be something like:

Absolutely! Magnficent! My apologies for getting carried away. My main
thought was that the correspondence was an important historical record, not a windfall to be put up for sale.

Last edited:
Part 30, Chapter 337
Chapter Three Hundred Thirty-Seven

2nd October 1943

Berlin

Juan Pujol was carefully considering his words when his Russian contact met him in a tavern in central Berlin.

“I could have sworn that you had gone underground” The contact said.

“That was before I ferreted out the leak in my organization.” Juan said, “Things are a bit different now.”

“I trust that you have the problem in hand?” The contact asked. As false story about the fallout from Juan’s organization had been planted in several Berlin newspapers. Just in case the Russians ever attempted to verify Juan Pujol’s version of events. Juan had even gone so far as to arrange a real body of a man turn up having apparently drowned in a fountain.

“Yes” Juan said, “I hope our mutual employer appreciates the sacrifices that have been made to keep the flow of information going.”

“Sacrifices are being made everywhere” The Contact said, “Your people are no more important than any of our other soldiers.”

“They are to me” Juan said as he stood up as if to leave.

“Wait” The contact said, “I didn’t mean to imply that your people are not valuable, it’s just that we are all players in this war.”

Juan sat back down and glared at the Russian. “A little gratitude goes a long way” He said, “Do you have any idea what my people are saying, that Moscow is treating like a disposable commodity. The sort of thing that results in more leaks.”

“That sounds like another matter for you to deal with” The contact said, “Have you anything to make it worth the risk of meeting you personally?”

“Just this” Juan said as he slid the brief case that had been under his chair to where it was within easy reach by the Russian. It held a series of reports from the OKW. They spoke about how Emperor Louis Ferdinand had become obsessed with taking Stalin’s namesake city away from the Russians and renaming it Wilhelmsberg for his grandfather, Wilhelm the Second. They also spoke of the German Army being at the end of its logistical tether and Heer units needed desperately elsewhere were being routed to the effort of taking the city. An added note that had been included that referenced the disappointing performance of Romanian and Hungarian Divisions.

Juan had worked overtime on those reports and they seemed like the sort of thing that the Russians would bite on. Field Marshal von Wolvogle had told him that what happened in the field would reflect those reports, until they didn’t.

“Your efforts are appreciated” The contact said, “You can tell your people that.”

“I’ll tell them that” Juan said, “But keeping them in line is becoming difficult.”

“It is believed that we are nearing a turning point in this war” The contact said “Afterwards, the State will make it worth-while for all of them and not just by honoring their sacrifices.”

Juan Pujol sat and watched the contact walk off with the briefcase. He hoped that the Russians liked the nice dose of snake oil that he’d just sold them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“…and that’s what happened” Kat said, feeling awkward and self-conscious in her dress uniform. The ribbon bar she could deal with, the actual medals themselves still seemed unreal to her. Wearing them all at once seemed like it was all too much.

She had several dozen eyes staring back at her, many with looks of disbelief. She had just finished telling the story of how she had gone through training in Judenbach and the mission into Belorussia. She had concluded with the paratroopers of the Fallschirmjäger Corps landing all around her and what was left of her team.

“Does anyone have any questions for Major von Mischner?” The Master of Ceremonies asked. That was another addition in Kat’s already extensive list of accomplishments. When she had completed the training course in Grafenwöhr it had automatically resulted in her promotion to Major. She had learned at the same time that Thorwald wanted her to take on a larger role in the command of the 28th Fallschirmjäger Regiment, also known as SKA Hellcats. The extra training and promotion were a part of that.

Kat noticed that dozens of hands were raised. This was worse than having to deliver an oral report back in primary school. The MC called on one of the people with raised hands, a woman wearing a burgundy dress.

“It is such an honor to have you here” Were the first words out of her mouth. Kat felt like she was about to spontaneously combust. “Was it a mistake that landed you in the rigorous training and on the mission into Russia?” She asked.

“It was no mistake” Kat said “I was sent into SKA training as an effort to break me physically and mentally by an individual who underestimated me and was politically motivated. Once there I made the most of the opportunities I was given.”

That caused a stir in this crowd. While that was hardly a State secret it was not general knowledge.

“You say you made the most of the opportunities, wasn’t that dangerous?” The woman in burgundy asked as a follow up.

“I was there as a volunteer like anyone else training to get into the SKA” Kat said, “Leaving was always an option, something that you get reminded of every time things got difficult. I knew of the danger but didn’t care. The risks I took were just like the ones that everyone around me was taking, I didn’t see myself as being any different.”

A different woman, this one in dark blue had the next question. “What is your opinion of women who might be interested in following your example?” She asked.

“It depends on their own abilities” Kat said “I am involved in training the cadres that aspire to enter the SKA and routinely run men into the ground. No one gets graded on a curve there. Not even me.”

“Why were you considered for entry into the SKA in the first place?” A woman wearing yellow asked.

“It was because I was involved with the Fallschirmjäger Corps in a different capacity before I joined the military” Kat answered.

“Did it have something to do with you killing César Sauvageot moments before the Reichstag bombing?” The woman asked as a follow up question.

“Yes” Kat answered and that was all she would say on that topic.

“Weren’t you only sixteen or seventeen at the time?”

Kat just glared until the woman fell silent. That was not a part of her life that she was going to revisit with a stranger.

“Next question” Kat said, forcefully.

Kat seems to have the protocol right on not answering.

Hence the great importance of "The Jensen Letters". Kat never gave insight in to her life before the Reichstag bombing. When the grand daughter of Nancy Jensen mentioned her grandmothers correspondece with the "Red Baroness" to her teacher at Berkley, the whole world was eager to see them, but Nancy Jensen respected her friends wish for privacy. Only the request of her grand daughter saved them from destruction. They formed the basis of her book. The original letters where donated to the War Museum in Berlin. Till this day there are still people that think that these letters should have gone to the Smithsonian.

Last edited:
Abwehr is running a deception campaign against the Soviet Union, I wonder if they will try one against the U.S. in order to get the U.S. in the war against Japan and the Soviet Union.
Also will the be a Peabody-Martini signature appearance by Nikita Khrushchev?

Abwehr is running a deception campaign against the Soviet Union, I wonder if they will try one against the U.S. in order to get the U.S. in the war against Japan and the Soviet Union.

A deception campaign to bring the USA in would be a BAD idea. America's industry is formidable, and, if the deception campaign came out, it would be catastrophic, mirroring the fiasco of the USA's entry and participation in the Great War in this timeline.

IMVHO, that should only be done if Germany is facing an existential threat, which it isn't now. The USA as a friendly neutral is better :)

A deception campaign to bring the USA in would be a BAD idea. America's industry is formidable, and, if the deception campaign came out, it would be catastrophic, mirroring the fiasco of the USA's entry and participation in the Great War in this timeline.

IMVHO, that should only be done if Germany is facing an existential threat, which it isn't now. The USA as a friendly neutral is better :)

While NHBL its right, things are rather. . .messy in Asia right now. Between the use of Long Lance Torpedoes, Schmidt's mind, and the USNAVY prowling like blundering idiots around and beyond the Philiphines Sea in what amounts to a Zone of War, you actually won't need much of a deception in the American side, although you will need some misdirection and misinformation in the case of the Japs.

Even with the counter strike that the KSM got from the IJN, the IJN likely its still under an immense pressure in the internal politics of the Japanese Government to deal the "decisive blow" and knock out the German Navy from the Asian Battlefield. We also got to think in how many Naval Units the Japanese would be soon to field, very possibly enough of a screening for Yamamoto if he is still alive, to attempt to realize a gamble.

Hmm. . .WHAT if amongst the documents gotten from Pujol, there its a report about the incoming redeployment of Baltic KSM and RN assets to the Asian battlefield? The Soviets here have been in talks with the Japanese and making deals even. Stalin may offer this "information" combined with basic material supplies in exchange for Gold and. . ."Special Weapons". . .like the stuff produced by Unit 731.

This kind of info would push the IJN to get more daring, and risky. Add, that the KSM's area of action in Vietnam, its the Southern China Sea. . .practically to the side of the Philippines itself. A misdirection here, a radio intercepted by the Japs from a "Cruiser"( Read a Sub transmitting with the fake identity of another KSM vessel). . .and you can have the IJN attempting to strike an "incoming KSM" fleet. . . only to find themselves in horror striking American units. Good luck trying to explain the enraged Americans that you were "Sure" that a KSM fleet was there.

P-M what are the primary airplanes for the IJN, IJA and the KLM's "Fleet air arm" (forgot the initials; LB, perhaps?) ITTL, and if any of them are similar to the ones IOTL?

I think Helene will be the one to watch and make the connection.
Hmmm..... it would be interesting, if not hilarious if the entire TV crew watches a panicked Gertha running from a pissed Kat across the set, while they hear the rather insane dialog as Gertha tries to calm a "Mad Cat" and in the process, getting the inspiration for an award winning comedy series.....

Aircraft of the Pacific War (Incomplete list)

Imperial Japanese Navy

Fighters:

Mitsubishi A7M2 Reppū

Mitsubishi A6M Reisen

Torpedo Bombers:

Nakajima B6N Tenzan

Nakajima B5N

Dive Bombers:

Aichi D3A

Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

Reconnaissance Aircraft:

Aichi E13A Navy Type 0 Seaplane

Kawanishi H6K Type 97 Large Flying Boat

Mitsubishi Ki-46

Imperial Japanese Army

Fighters:

Kawasaki Ki-61 Hein

Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa

Nakajima Ki-44 Shōki

Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Bombers:

Mitsubishi G4M Hamaki

Kawasaki Ki-48 Sokei

Close Air Support:

Tachikawa Ki-36

Mitsubishi Ki-51

Deutsche Kaiserliche Marine Flottenluftkommando (German Imperial Navy Fleet Air Command)

Fighter:

Siemens-Schuckert Si-20D, radial engine, interceptor

Siemens-Schuckert Si-23A, radial engine, interceptor

Dive Bomber:

Dornier Do-31, light, radial engine, attack bomber

Torpedo Bombers:

Junkers JU-95, twin-engine, naval bomber

Fieseler Fi 167

Reconnaissance Aircraft:

Heinkel He 115, Seaplane

Junkers Ju-195 twin-engine, long range, high altitude recon

British Fleet Air Arm

Fighter:

Gloster Kingfisher Mark 3 (No Name)

Fairey Firefly

Torpedo Bombers:

Fairey Swordfish

Fairey Albacore

Dive Bombers:

Fairey Barracuda

Blackburn Skua

Last edited:
Aircraft of the Pacific War (Incomplete list)

Imperial Japanese Navy

Fighters:

Mitsubishi A7M2 Reppū

Mitsubishi A6M Reisen

Torpedo Bombers:

Nakajima B6N Tenzan

Nakajima B5N

Dive Bombers:

Aichi D3A

Yokosuka D4Y Suisei

Reconnaissance Aircraft:

Aichi E13A Navy Type 0 Seaplane

Kawanishi H6K Type 97 Large Flying Boat

Mitsubishi_Ki-46

Imperial Japanese Army

Fighters:

Kawasaki Ki-61 Hein

Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa

Nakajima Ki-44 Shōki

Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

Bombers:

Mitsubishi G4M Hamaki

Kawasaki Ki-48 Sokei

Close Air Support:

Tachikawa Ki-36

Mitsubishi Ki-51

Deutsche Kaiserliche Marine Flottenluftbefehl (German Imperial Navy Fleet Air Command)

Fighter:

Siemens-Schuckert Si-20D, radial engine, interceptor

Siemens-Schuckert Si-23A, radial engine, interceptor

Dive Bomber:

Dornier Do-31, light, radial engine, attack bomber

Torpedo Bombers:

Junkers JU-95, twin-engine, naval bomber

Fieseler Fi 167

Reconnaissance Aircraft:

Heinkel He 115, Seaplane

Junkers Ju-195 twin-engine, long range, high altitude recon

British Fleet Air Arm

Fighter:

Gloster Kingfisher Mark 3 (No Name)

Fairey Firefly

Torpedo Bombers:

Fairey Swordfish

Fairey Albacore

Dive Bombers:

Fairey Barracuda

Blackburn Skua

Thank you very much. This is definitely not a walk-over by either side.

FBKampfer

Banned
I'm curious what in this TL prompted early development of the A7M. OTL it wasn't started in ernest until 1942, and was delayed by lack of a suitable engine until 1944.

I'm curious what in this TL prompted early development of the A7M. OTL it wasn't started in ernest until 1942, and was delayed by lack of a suitable engine until 1944.

In this TL there was a slightly earlier development of 18 cylinder, 2000 horsepower engines. The problems with the A6M were well known to the IJN even prior to Pearl Harbor so the A7M was already in development. ITTL the IJN realized that FW-190 fighters were being produced locally in Australia, the A7M became an even higher priority because of that.

Part 30, Chapter 338
Chapter Three Hundred Thirty-Eight

18th October 1943

Potsdam

Gerta was delighted to have Helene visit her on the set right up until she saw the look on Helene’s face.

“Have you lost your mind?” Helene demanded.

“What are you talking about?” Gerta asked.

“That character you’ve been playing” Helene said, “Don’t tell me you haven’t realized what you’ve been doing?”

“What about the character?” Gerta asked.

Helene had known for years that Gerta could be oblivious and pigheaded at times but this was taking that to an extreme. The only rational explanation that Helene could think of was that Gerta had gotten the success she had wanted more than anything by playing the character in the way she was.

“You are playing a caustic Berliner at war with the world” Helene said, “Who does that sound like to you?”

“You can’t possibly think that character is like Kat” Gerta said.

“At first I thought it was you playing Kat as a role” Helene replied.

Gerta’s eye went wide and the look on her face said perfectly the thought that must be echoing through her head “Oh shit.”

“Why didn’t you say anything weeks ago?” Gerta asked “This series is almost over.”

“I’ve been in Warsaw and Kiev” Helene said, “I didn’t know about this until last night.”

“Do you think that Kat knows?” Gerta asked.

“Probably not yet” Helene said, “If she had you’d know it and you should be aware that the security of this place can’t keep her out.”

“Wait” Gerta said, “What do you mean security couldn’t keep her out?”

“Gerta” Helene said, “It can’t. Luckily for you the series is ending.”

“There is going to be a second series” Gerta said.

“Then you’ll have a serious problem on your hands when you tell Kat” Helene said.

“What do you mean when I tell Kat?” Gerta asked.

“What do you think will be worse?” Helene asked, “She hears it from you or hears it from someone else.”

Helene and Gerta had no idea what they were walking into when they went to speak with Kat that afternoon. Both of them probably would have run the other way had they known. As it was they were in Kat’s office when everything just sort of went insane.

“You’re worried that I’ll get all bent out of shape because you are playing a character that Helene acts like me?” Kat asked.

Both Helene and Gerta were looking at Kat with fixed smiles on their faces.

“Gerta, I’ve always supported your career” Kat said, “And wouldn’t lift a finger against…”

That was when a half dozen men crowded into the small office.

“Me and my friends are having a private conversation here” Kat said to the goon who seemed be in charge, Kat noticed in the back of her mind that he was wearing the uniform of an Oberstlieutenant “If you need to speak with me there are proper channels to go through.”

Helene who had taken exception to being shoved out of the way spoke up. “Do you have any idea who we are?”

The Oberstlieutenant looked at Helene “We know exactly who you are Fraulein von Richthofen” He said as he reached over and pulled Kat out from behind her desk “You can feel free to go while we put your little friend here in her place.”

Gerta and Helene weren’t paying attention to what he had said. They both saw Kat’s expression go blank and knew what was about to happen seconds before it did…

“That madman you put in charge on the Front to further your own petty ambitions and lead this nation to ruin is unacceptable” Generalmajor Keitel said.

“I have no idea what you are talking about” Louis Ferdinand said, “You do understand that this is treason, correct?”

Louis was standing in the room he used as his office, it also happened to be the same room that Frederick the Great used as his study. The afternoon’s business had been interrupted by whatever this idiocy was. He knew of Wilhelm Keitel by reputation, that he was a toady for whoever happened to be in charge at the moment. Once the superior officers he had sucked up to had been sacked by Field Marshal von Wolvogle it was obvious he’d switched to someone else.

“No, I’m a patriot” Keitel said, “Someone had to step up after the monstrous changes you are inflicting on society.”

It was about that time that Louis realized that Keitel wasn’t playing with a full deck and noticed that he was looking at the phone.

“Expecting a call?” Louis asked.

“I sent a Squad of men to arrest that little shrew and a regiment to secure that Company that she proports to be in charge of” Keitel said, “I’m expecting to hear from my men.”

Louis didn’t say anything. Wilhelm Keitel had sent an ordinary Regiment to arrest some of the worst self-selecting killers that the Heer and Luftwaffe could produce. The 1st Imperial Foot Regiment was going to get involved in this mess at any second. Louis was wrong, this wasn’t idiocy, this was brains dripping out of your ears stupidity, squared.

“By little shrew you mean Major von Mischner?” Louis asked.

“Yes” Keitel said curtly.

“You made a mistake” Louis said.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Keitel demanded.

“Just six men and if they hurt one hair on her head…” Louis just shook his head.

Last edited:
.....what?

Well, Wilhelm Kietel is only mouthpiece and a general yes man, he never usually leads from the front, and most likely is being led. Man is a follower to the core.

Ok, that whole coup part just seemed random compared to the Gerta playing Kat part.

"This was brains dripping out of your ears stupidity, squared"

This line perfectly sums up the entire situation. A badly planned coup d'etat during wartime. The firing squads are sure going to be busy.

.....what?

Well, Wilhelm Kietel is only mouthpiece and a general yes man, he never usually leads from the front, and most likely is being led. Man is a follower to the core.
...... it just either revealed Keitel as a Double Agent or that he is in contact with a REAL Traitor amongst the Heer Generals who informed him of the "facts" leaked by Pujol...