On the whole Emile- Jacob not meeting thing, they are aware of each others existence and reputation it just that they are in separate orbits from each other.

They have a mutual acquaintance in Augustus Lang as he is married to Rona, and her sister is Esther who is married to Jacob and Emile missed the wedding of Augustus and Rona.

Part 28, Chapter 310
Chapter Three Hundred Ten

25th April 1943

Berlin

The mail no longer went to Kat’s apartment, one more reminder of how things had changed. Instead the post office put it in trays where it could be sorted through, all the cranks and solicitations weeded out. What was left was disturbing enough as she was telling Gerta and Helene. Gianna had a notebook out and was drawing something while humming to herself, in spite of Kat’s assurances she was still afraid to be alone for any length of time.

“So, this other one says that I am cordially invited to attend the event that they are throwing. Their son, Major von so and so is on leave and will be in attendance. We’d have so much in common” Kat was saying, recounting the contents of one of these leters.

In just the last week something had changed. Kat didn’t know if it was because of her meeting with Feodora or just a shift in the wind, but somehow Kat had become acceptable to Berlin Society. That was a surprise to her because in the past she’d been depicted as some sort of wild animal, usually a tigress, kept hidden behind the throne of the Empress.

“It means that if they cannot ignore you anymore, then they’ll settle for marrying you off.” Helene said.

“Hardly” Käte said “It means that someone has decided that Katherine might be an acceptable daughter-in-law.”

The presence of Helene’s mother was a reminder that they were having their weekly meeting in the von Richthofen townhouse. The coffee houses had become prohibitively expensive and the practice of stretching their supplies by adulterating it had become widespread. It was better just to stay at here and use Kat’s hidden supply of coffee beans.

“I get invitations like that all the time” Gerta said “Helene, not so much.”

“Helene’s reputation for breaking things precedes her” Käte said.

“That only happened once” Helene said.

“And it was very expensive” Käte finished for her.

Kat smiled, all Helene’s protestations aside she did have a good relationship with her parents. She glanced up at the clock on the wall in the kitchen and saw that it was time to go.

“You're fine with watching Gianna for a few hours?” Kat asked.

“We already told you that we are” Käte said “Now go before you’re late. Give General Holz and his wife my regards.”

They only knew that Gianna had a fright over something and couldn’t stand to be alone for now. Fortunately, none of them had asked what had frightened her. That could get awkward in a hurry.

Tempelhof Airfield

Esther had known that the odds were good that Jacob would get a hero’s welcome when they arrived into Berlin she just hadn’t anticipated the extent of it. Even with tight security there was still a large crowd out there. Press, Government and Military Officials of every type. She saw out the window that Maria was carrying her daughter and had slipped out the side door of the airplane, a Luftwaffe enlisted man was taking care of her luggage. Out of view of everyone she was greeting a man in a grey & black uniform and a girl wearing dark blue. Maria had said that her daughter would have to get to know her husband again after such a long absence. At that moment Esther just hated this war and what it was doing to people with every fiber of her being. She was also thankful that her family had a decade of peace, If Jacob had been called away while the girls were little she didn’t know if she could have handled it as well as Maria had. It was a simple greeting, hugs and smiles, then they got into a car and drove off. Esther was a bit envious of them.

Jacob had spent a good portion of the flight poring over reels of film with a young sailor, Eugen Faust, that he’d acquired from somewhere. Her understanding was that the young man had been a film student before the war and had somehow filmed a good portion of the battle. Now he was looking as the scene that was unfolding just outside.

“Well” Jacob said, “Shall we?”

“I don’t think we have much of a choice” Esther answered.

With that they walked down the ramp, flash bulbs and shouted questions, a band playing. Esther ignored all that and saw only that Sarah and Nessa were here to greet them.

----------------------------------------------------------------

On the car ride to the hotel the protocol officer was explaining exactly what the Emperor had in mind for Jacob and his plans in general. Jacob was to receive the Grand Cross of the Pour le Mérite, only the sixth one ever issued. On the 1st of May, in observance of it being the Worker’s Holiday the Emperor had planned to present the PLM to several Officers deemed worthy of such an honor. This had been originally a move of defiance against what the Soviet Union purported itself to be. It was a medal that was only given to Officers who had an EK1 and were members of a chivalrous order in good standing. It didn’t get much more exclusive than that.

Something strange had happened with those plans. The names assembled included almost every major national, ethnic and religious group within the German Empire. Shockingly, it had even included a young woman.

Eugen had gotten shoved into one of the last cars leaving the airport. He had no idea where his sea bag or the bag containing his equipment had vanished to. He’d been told that they would catch up with him at the hotel but he knew the reason why the Admiral not to let the bag containing the film reels out of his possession. The whole scene was a mess. He found himself sitting next to a woman roughly his own age, mid-twenties, dark curry hair and brown eyes. She heard the clank of the film cans as he sat down and forced the door closed.

“What is that?” She asked.

“Film cans” Eugen answered, “I was shooting a documentary in the Pacific and this is it, still needs editing though.”

“Really” She said with a shy smile, “That sounds exciting, I’m Nessa by the way.”

“Eugen” He said in reply “And it was exciting.”

That was how he found himself talking to Nessa in the car and later in the hotel lounge for the next several hours.

Esther found Nessa talking with the young sailor from the airplane and smiled. She’d been worried about her introverted younger daughter for some time but seeing the two them together, you never know. Plus, there was another aspect to all of this.

“What’s going on?” Sarah asked.

“The possibility that your father is going to soon be hoisted up on his own petard” Esther said.

Last edited:
Does he have a death wish. As soon as Amiral Daddy finds out his "little Girl" is seeing/dating, one of HIS sailors, he his is toast.

Well, just so long till his daughter hears of it, then said daughter will mobilize a power mutch more dangerous...
...his wife.

Fleet Admiral von Schmidt was at the breakfast table when Nessa came up to him.

"Daddy where is Matrose Faust? He was going to show me some films he shot when he was in school."

"Oh he just volunteered to go to Vietnam to shoot a film with the Seebataillon Infantry."

Part 28, Chapter 311
Chapter Three Hundred Eleven

26th April 1943

Berlin

Esther found the whole situation amusing. Eugen Faust and Nessa had met and they had just clicked, there was no other way to describe it. The two of them had shared a car ride and then talked to each other in the hotel lounge until the early morning hours before going their separate ways. While Jacob had some regard for the Matrose and his skills as a cameraman he didn’t bring the boy halfway around the world so he could meet his daughter. What was Eugen’s motivation here? And what was Nessa thinking? She had multiple PHDs in Physics and High-level Mathematics. Why would she be interested in a film student?

“You just don’t get it” Esther said as she waved off his objections “Most people don’t like to think about their work constantly. Your daughter is no different.”

“You’re right” Jacob said, “I don’t get it. Please at least try to explain it.”

“Nessa is an introvert and is a bit shy” Esther said “Eugen not threatening and his aspirations are outside the Navy. Did you know that he talked to her for a few hours before he even learned that she was your daughter? That made Nessa aware that he’s only interested in her for being who she is, not what she might be able to do for his career. Besides that, they make a cute couple.”

That was the last thing on Earth that Jacob wanted to hear.

Eugen was sitting with the Admiral as they were reviewing the footage, he kept expecting the room to be flooded with Shore Patrol at any second to drag him off to his new posting in Antarctica. On the big screen of the Film Studies Department of the Berlin University was the film of the battle. The film of the battle was a lot of darkness but here and there were some breathtaking shots. A long row of flashes from the opening salvo, a minute later was the entire sky flaring white, then a dull red glow out lining the battle ships. According to intelligence that sequence marked the death of two Japanese Battleships. Eugen stopped the projector and began to advance it to the next point where his notebook suggested that there might be some more action.

“I’m sorry, Sir” Eugen said finally “I didn’t realize that…”

“That Nessa is my youngest daughter” Jacob finished for him.

Eugen gulped. “We just talked, Sir” He said, “Nothing else happened.”

“That is why you are still breathing, Matrose” Jacob said absently.

“Thank you, Sir” Eugen said, “I think.”

“Now you’ve never been married but if you had you would know that there are higher powers than even me” Jacob said.

Eugen looked at Jacob quizzically.

“My wife, Esther, thinks that you and Nessa make a nice couple” Jacob said, “However if you fail to keep your intentions honorable or break Nessa’s heart then I’ll make sure you get the worst assignments imaginable for the remainder of your service. I will make you envy the dead. Am I clear?”

“Yes, Sir” Eugen mumbled.

“Now let’s see about that next bit of footage” Jacob said.

As Jacob listened to Eugen fumble with the projector he was reminded of something. The Romans had a tradition of having a midget ride in the chariot with a conquering General returning victorious from battle to whisper to him that he was still mortal. The Romans and their midgets had absolutely nothing on wives and daughters when it came to reminding men of their exact place in the order of things.

Brooklyn Navy Yard, New York, New York, U.S.A.

Vice Admiral Chester Nimitz was considering the ship that was under construction here as an army of workers swarmed over her, she was going to be one of the most powerful units afloat when she was going to be launched in a few months’ time. She was built to counter the Japanese Yamato Class. Then had come the staggering news that the Yamato had come to grief at the hands of the SMS Preussen and her sister the SMS Rhineland. Both those ships were of the German design philosophy, trading hitting power for speed and armor. The German 16.5”/50 cal. gun was considered comparable to its American counterpart, the 16” Mark 7. The ship that Nimitz was looking at would mount twelve of those.

It was all about the sort of thing that made America great. This was a ship that wouldn’t have such compromises in construction as the Preussen Class. Nimitz looked down on what would be the most powerful battleship in the world. The USS Montana was nearing completion.

Potsdam

Hauptmann K. von Mischner

As a member in good standing of the Imperial and Royal Order of Louise as well as the Military Order of Max Joseph and as a holder of the Iron Cross 1st Class you are cleared to be inducted into the Pour le Mérite. This is not just about you but the entire Fallschirmjäger 28th Regiment, Spezielle Kriegsführung-Abteilung. No excuses, you will be there on the 1st of May 1943. That is an order.

Oberst Heinz Thorwald

Kat put down the letter from Thorwald. He apparently had caught wind about her desire to hop onto the first ship out of Hamburg going anywhere. The whole thing had not seemed real to her until Maria had told her that she was the first woman to get the highest medal of a nation for valor since Mary Edwards Walker in the American Civil War. This was huge.

Then she had started getting requests for interviews from international newspapers, invitations to join the other chivalrous orders for women throughout the German Kingdoms, a request from a Newsreel company about how she wanted the present herself. All of that made her want to crawl into a hole and stay there, preferably forever. Why couldn’t Thorwald just send her back to Russia? That would be so much safer.

“Ma’am, the Crown Prince is missing again” Unterfeldwebel Matthias Schmied said as he stepped into her office only to see the look on her face “Is this a bad time?”

“No” Kat said, “I figure that he’s down by the river again, he’s been trying to build a raft like he saw in that book the other day.”

At least that was a simple problem to deal with, but she would like to know who thought it was a good idea to introduce Freddy to Huckleberry Finn. Didn’t they realize who they were dealing with?

Last edited:
Kat should take any and all honors offered to her and use it to recruit more women into the Women's Auxiliaries and expand the role of jobs they can do.

USS Montana, expect to see a bear sighting soon.

USS Montana, expect to see a bear sighting soon.

Without various events showing that the Battleship was nearing obsolescence in 1940-41 and with a major clash occurring in 1943 its obvious that the world's navies could easily draw the wrong conclusions. USS Montana would have been the finest ship afloat, a real world beater but only if she was completed in 1930. Without the early carrier battles of WW2 how would have the US Navy progressed? Fortunately, I have the good taste to butterfly the Alaska Class, the American response to the Deutschland Class that doesn't exist ITTL.

Without various events showing that the Battleship was nearing obsolescence in 1940-41 and with a major clash occurring in 1943 its obvious that the world's navies could easily draw the wrong conclusions. USS Montana would have been the finest ship afloat, a real world beater but only if she was completed in 1930. Without the early carrier battles of WW2 how would have the US Navy progressed? Fortunately, I have the good taste to butterfly the Alaska Class, the American response to the Deutschland Class that doesn't exist ITTL.

Absolutely, the battle that happened would have heavily reinforced existing notions about the place of the aircraft carrier. It scouts, and then it bayonets the survivors after the battleships get done. There has been no humiliation of healthy battleships by aircraft. It was somewhat surprising that the Kido Butai didn't try at least one attack after the battle.

Aircraft Carrier warfare was already in OTL the primary doctrine in the US Navy in the late 1930's, it just took Pearl Harbor, Task Force Z, Coral Sea, and Midway to drive the point home.
I believe that the Essex started construction in April 1941 which is before the war ITTL and was in response to the increase in the number of Japanese carriers.

FBKampfer

Banned
Deutschland class doesn't exist ITTL? I could have sworn I've seen mention of Graf Spee. Or is that a battlecruiser or battleship with the same name?

Chapter Three Hundred Eleven
“Now you’ve never been married but if you had you would know that there are higher powers than even me” Jacob said.

Eugen looked at Jacob quizzically.

“My wife, Esther, thinks that you and Nessa make a nice couple”

[...]

The Romans and their midgets had absolutely nothing on wives and daughters when it came to reminding men of their exact place in the order of things.

Well i am not arrogant enough to think i inspired this scene, but i will be damned if i didn't give my thanks for this scene...
...so THANK YOU! :)

Hmmm.... It would be interesting if there is a version of the Me 262 soon to see combat and its decided to somehow make it Carrier capable...... should be one nasty surprise to the Kido Butai....

Aircraft Carrier warfare was already in OTL the primary doctrine in the US Navy in the late 1930's, it just took Pearl Harbor, Task Force Z, Coral Sea, and Midway to drive the point home.
I believe that the Essex started construction in April 1941 which is before the war ITTL and was in response to the increase in the number of Japanese carriers.

I wouldn't expect the butterflies to change US Navy doctrine, which included carriers as a significant part of the fleet's strength, but the battleship was also considered critical Torpedoes can sink battleships easily enough...

Hmmm.... It would be interesting if there is a version of the Me 262 soon to see combat and its decided to somehow make it Carrier capable...... should be one nasty surprise to the Kido Butai....

It'll be a while, I supect, before jets and carriers mix. Long take off and landing run, short range, and very high maintenance--challenge for sure! Do the German carriers even have catapults?

I suspect that the British might develop the angled deck a bit earlier; they're clearly not the premier naval power, so making their carriers more effective might come into play.

I do suspect that the Japanese have some nasty surprises in store for Germany--the war is not going to be that quick a curbstomp. I-Boats are dangerous, and how's Germany for ASW?
Good stuff!

Part 28, Chapter 312
Chapter Three Hundred Twelve

30th April 1943

Berlin

Augustus Lang had known Jacob von Schmidt since shortly after he had met Rhona twenty years ago. He had found Jacob to be cold and arrogant, only his wife Esther understood him. That hadn’t changed, but there was no denying the raw intelligence that he brought to the KLM. Lang had seen the various reports about him that bounced between being one of their greatest assets and worst security risks. He heard and saw everything in minute detail making it difficult to keep secrets from him and in the realm of signal intelligence he was absolutely terrifying. The only codes that Jacob had not been able to break in minutes were ones he had developed himself.

Now he had out-maneuvered the Japanese Fleet not because he was lucky. It was because he had spent months learning everything he could about the Japanese, their Fleet and their traditions. The Japanese pre-war planning had been to force a decisive battle. He had seemingly given them exactly what they had wanted. A chance to catch his fleet by surprise close in to the Vietnamese coast where they had been providing fire-support to Seebaitallon Infantry, French Foreign Legion and the Vietnamese Army. Jacob had also studied the seasonal weather of the South China Sea, using the weather to mask his fleet’s movements. Then the final move creating a mass of confusing images for the Japanese radar and leaving him in the perfect firing position. He had left absolutely nothing to chance, the naval experts that Lang had consulted regarding that battle all said as much.

That was why Lang was surprised at the requests that Jacob von Schmidt was making. There were paper projects for improved Preussen Class Battleships and Graf Spee Battlecruisers but Jacob had said that those would be a waste of time and slip space for the foreseeable future. He wanted an enlarged and improved version of the Graf Zeppelin. The KLM had an answer for the American Essex Class, correct? That was totally not what anyone was expecting.

Now Lang had found out that Jacob von Schmidt was making a documentary film about the battle that included an attack on a Japanese battleship in vivid color by a torpedo bomber. The Admiral had clearly come to a conclusion about what he thought the future was going to look like. Anyone who had seen the results that he had gotten from his projects in the past knew that they’d be fools to ignore him.

East of Sarney, Polish-Ukrainian Frontier

Hans watched as the line of Panzers was grinding forward down the road. The commander and loader of one of the Panzers stared back at Hans who was standing on the shoulder. The roads were improving and Field Marshal von Wolvogle wanted the Panzers and other tracked vehicles in place so that the instant lorries could roll down the roads without getting stuck the entire 2nd Army Corps under Heinz Guderian and the 4th Panzer Division under Erwin Rommel were going to lead the charge straight down the road to Kiev along with the 3rd and 5th Army Corps. There was an entire Pioneer Corps behind them this time that would be rebuilding the rail infrastructure. There were no half measures, they would be playing for keeps this time.

The 2nd Army was unrecognizable from what it had looked like a couple of years earlier. In addition to the old Army that had been based near Berlin since shortly after the First Great War. There was the British and French Expeditionary Corps, the Slovakian and Bohemian Army Corps, even an Irish Regiment. In the South, the Italians, Bulgarians and Romanians were going to be driving into the south of the Ukraine. A point had been made to keep the Hungarians separate from the Romanians, they disliked each other almost as much as they disliked the Russians.

Horst was sitting in his Kubelwagen, one of the few wheeled vehicles capable of moving at the moment, reading a newspaper from a couple days earlier as Hans walked by. “Got bad news for you Mischner” Horst said, “Someone at Division fucked up and appointed you Hauptfeldwebel.”

“Are you serious, Sir?” Hans asked.

“That was the same thing I said” Horst replied as he handed Hans the new epaulets for his shoulder straps “Now get those on before Division changes their mind, Spear.”

Horst watched as Hans ran off happy about the promotion. Hans Mischner, Soren Yount and Jost Schultz had been working hard getting the replacements up to snuff before the Spring offensive started. All three of them deserved recognition for that.

Horst looked back to the newspaper, still hung up on the naval victory the week before. When they had trapped and forced the surrender of a good-sized chunk of the Russian Army last winter they had not gotten this much press. The paper had included stills from a film that the Navy was supposedly gotten and the promise of a documentary that would show the battle in vivid color. That was the difference, one of the squids knew how to play the press.

The thing was that Horst knew Wolvogle. There was no way that the old General would put up with being overshadowed like this. If Horst had to bet, it would be that Wolvogle was already burning up the phone lines between Warsaw and Berlin to get a film crew like that here on the front lines. Considering the amount of trouble that Canadian photographer had been causing around the 140th Regiment over the last few months, Horst figured that it was only going to get worse.

Last edited:
That was why Lang was surprised at the requests that Jacob von Schmidt was making. There were paper projects for improved Preussen Class Battleships and Graf Spee Battlecruisers but Jacob had said that those would be a waste of time and slip space for the foreseeable future. He wanted an enlarged and improved version of the Graf Zeppelin. The KLM had an answer for the American Essex Class, correct? That was totally not what anyone was expecting.

Now Lang had found out that Jacob von Schmidt was making a documentary film about the battle that included an attack on a Japanese battleship in vivid color by a torpedo bomber. The Admiral had clearly come to a conclusion about what he thought the future was going to look like. Anyone who had seen the results that he had gotten from his projects in the past knew that they’d be fools to ignore him.

And the Americans still build their giant battlewaggons, while Germany develops the next generation of naval warfare.

Am i crazy that i want those pesky colonists to join Germanys enemys and see their swimming deathtraps ah i mean battleships send packing?!