Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

With all the Spy vs. Spy stuff going on lately, Germany-American relations are a bit frayed right now and with Kiki being the most popular German Royal in America with three previous tours, The Kaiser, her brother is using her as a canary in the coal mine to gauge a potential visit to the United States by him in the future.
It is no accident that Freddy wants Kiki to take her children with her as a way of making the German Royal more "relatable" to the American people.
Both Nella and Nan should accompany Kiki and family on the tour as trips to family friendly places like zoos, amusement parks, and beaches should be on the trip agenda.

I have been on a real rollercoaster of work schedule lately, and sometimes that means if I am reading this timeline, I will occasionally have dreams about it and after reading the last update I dreamed that Kiki did a horseback trip in the mountains and had to do an emergency surgery in a small town without nearby medical help.

Kiki might consider paying a visit to a certain epidemiologist working for the CDC while she's there, just to touch base regarding that new and disturbing plague that's going around, assuming of course that Nixon's little spy purge hasn't made such co-operation politically sensitive. Maybe Ben could finagle a visit to Cape Canaveral. Speaking of, what are they calling the Kennedy Space Centre ITTL?

I dreamed that Kiki did a horseback trip in the mountains and had to do an emergency surgery in a small town without nearby medical help.
If that pops up ITTL, can you drop me a PM with 6 random numbers between 1 and 59 please?
No reason... 😂

If that pops up ITTL, can you drop me a PM with 6 random numbers between 1 and 59 please?
No reason... 😂
After my dad died, he was appearing in my dreams quite regularly and he was giving me his numbers and I played them.

I won a total of $13 on an investment of $250.

Part 144, Chapter 2594
Chapter Two Thousand Five Hundred Ninety-Four

21st December 1976

Los Angeles, California

December in Southern California was always a surreal experience. They were surrounded by the imagery from the classic American Christmas but the whole Norman Rockwell thing had no place in Los Angeles, especially if it was sixty-five and sunny. Watching Frosty the Snowman or Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer was like getting messages from another planet. Little Mike had been forced to take his coat off before he had had made it halfway to short term parking. Big Mike had wondered why his son had thought that he would need the heavy wool coat, then remembered that Little Mike had been attending Annapolis which was right on the Atlantic Coast.

“You don’t worry about locking up the car?” Little Mike asked as Big Mike opened the door of the 1974 Dodge Dart.

“Why bother when I got Tony for that” Big Mike said as he got into the car and turned the ignition.

“You have a what?” Little Mike asked.

As if on cue, Tony sat up and Big Mike handed him the cup of coffee he had gotten while waiting for Little Mike’s airliner to pull up to the gate.

“You are a Saint” Tony said.

“This lame ass excuse for humanity sleeping in back seat is Detective Marin” Big Mike said as he backed out of the parking spot.

“I love you too” Tony replied, “This is Little Mike?”

“Yeah” Little Mike answered.

“Why am I not surprised that you’re as big as Big Mike?” Tony asked. That caused both Big Mike and Little Mike to laugh.

It was something that they had been listening to since Little Mike had caught up to his father in height while he was still in Highschool, what he lacked was his father’s bulk having inherited his lean aspect from his mother. That had been right about the time that Little Mike had gone on a school trip to San Diego where he had toured the USS Arizona which was moored there as a museum ship and that had changed the course of his life. Not that there had not been a few curveballs thrown his way since then. The biggest of which had been the U.S. Navy taking one look at him and asking if furthering his education far beyond merely being a Seaman Apprentice was what he wanted when they offered him a spot at Annapolis if he was interested playing Football there because he was an athlete who could still meet the Navy’s strict height and weight requirements. It was an opportunity that both Big Mike and his wife Clair had told Little Mike he would have to be completely insane to pass up. Clair had also made a few extremely dark promises about what would happen if Little Mike had a sudden attack of stupidity, so he had happily accepted the appointment.

Taking on the role of Defensive Tackle, the same position he had played in Highschool had been easy enough and Little Mike had swiftly become a star player on the team. He had played in key role in shutting down Army’s Offensive Line in Philadelphia a couple weeks earlier, so the Naval Academy was happy with him. The same couldn’t be said about the rest of the team, so a National Title was out of the question and Little Mike had made if home for the Holidays this year.

“Where’s Officer Valenzuela?” Little Mike asked.

“The Department got a little uptight about his tendency to be at the center of whatever trouble was happening at any given moment” Big Mike said as he turned into the traffic flowing out from LAX and into the infamous Los Angeles “Rush Hour” that was more or less constant. “After that plane crash with a nuclear bomb hanging from a tree in the Santa Monaca Mountains they felt it would be a good idea for him to be elsewhere for a while, so he went back to the Army as Warrant Officer in the Special Forces.”

“A nuclear bomb?” Tony asked, “Is that a fucking joke?”

“They got me working Homicide out of Central on Graveyard with Tony these days” Big Mike said, ignoring Tony’s question. “Your mother likes it that the action is over before I get there, and the hours are better.”

“Never a dull moment I guess” Little Mike said looking out at the buildings of Culver City. That explained the presence of his father being there in the early morning hours and the presence of Tony in the back seat. “Shouldn’t the two of you be busy right now?”

“We just finished with a messy one on 8th and South Union” Big Mike said, “Liquor Store robbery gone bad, owner and perp apparently got each other.”

“It’s not like either of them are going anywhere” Tony said from the back seat. “We are hoping that the Medical Examiner and the Ballistics Lab will give us a clearer picture.”

“The worry is that we found signs that there might have been a third gun” Big Mike said, “Which would complicate things. Now I don’t think I need to tell you not to tell your mother about that, or anyone else for that matter.”

“The State is going to be looking to cook someone” Tony said.

That was generally how it worked, particularly if someone got in the way of the real religion of Southern California. To interfere with the flow of dollars from low to high was a crime which someone had to answer for.

Last edited:
Yeah Christmas in Southern Africa is even more surreal. All the usual stuff with artificial snow in 35⁰C heat, at least in Zimbabwe. 30⁰C in Johannesburg and 25⁰C in the Western Cape.

Yeah Christmas in Southern Africa is even more surreal. All the usual stuff with artificial snow in 35⁰C heat, at least in Zimbabwe. 30⁰C in Johannesburg and 25⁰C in the Western Cape.
As a Kiwi, I too know the surreal nature that is a Southern Hemisphere Christmas. And then trying to explain to Northern Hemisphere types, especially those from the US, that we have Christmas in summer. All too many fail to grasp the concept of 'the seasons are reversed, but the months are the same'.

As a Kiwi, I too know the surreal nature that is a Southern Hemisphere Christmas. And then trying to explain to Northern Hemisphere types, especially those from the US, that we have Christmas in summer. All too many fail to grasp the concept of 'the seasons are reversed, but the months are the same'.

Ah man, the worst days.

Parents are Vietnamese Catholic, so that means attending mass 4-5 times in the Christmas period and 4-5 in the Lunar New Year period. When it gets to 40c in Australia... that hurts. Especially when I was a kid and the church was new... and the airconditioner didn't work. 2000 people in the same room is a good way to get a few instances of heat-stroke.

Have a question about the United States Service Academies.
IOTL 1976 the Service Academies admitted women for the first time, is this still ITTL, or is there still a controversy about it?

Have a question about the United States Service Academies.
IOTL 1976 the Service Academies admitted women for the first time, is this still ITTL, or is there still a controversy about it?
I suspect that will be delayed somewhat.
WWII, on the surface seems to have been a catalyst for some positive changes to America, especially women in the work place and service women filling axillary roles.
Without that it could put women's rights back quite some way.

This is a not very informed opinion, if anyone has suggested reading on this to improve my knowledge, it would be appreciated.

Sounds about right, but given the history and example of the German military, Women Rights groups in the United States may be advocating for the admission of women into the Service Academies.
IOTL the WAC and other Women Auxiliaries were disbanded in 1978 and women fully integrated in the military.
ITTL the United States while neutral in the ITTL WW Ii, did considerably expand the armed forces, and I could see a smaller number of women serving in the military at that time.
With the upcoming visit to the United States by Princess Kristina, it may bring a renewed interest in the idea of having women being admitted to the service academies.

Part 144, Chapter 2595
Chapter Two Thousand Five Hundred Ninety-Five

22nd December 1976

Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport

Henriette’s mother had encouraged her to take this trip, accompanying Marie as she had flown home for Christmas. She had been extremely reluctant because this was the first time she had been away from Alice for more than a few hours since her daughter had been born. That had gotten Henriette a talk from her mother about what she owed herself. Her mother knew about the large number of letters that she had written to and received from Sabastian and Henriette needed to learn if he was serious. Or if he was another worthless boy who would flee to Michigan the instant things got difficult. While that did leave a question over how much Henriette’s mother knew and why, she was making a lot of sense. Besides that, Alice would be fine with her grandparents for a week.

Henriette knew she was a long way from home the instant she left the airliner and saw through the bay windows of the terminal that dozens of fighter planes were parked across the runway. Big white and red planes in one line and smaller planes painted bright colors in another.

“They are based out of this airport” Marie replied when Henriette pointed it out as if it was something that was not out of the ordinary.

The next shock was when Henriette reached Customs. The Customs Officials and Security Officers looked like they were from the Army and heavily armed by anyone’s standards.

“Are they supposed to have guns?” Henriette asked as they stood in line.

“They are Federal Border Police” Marie replied, when Henriette pointed out that one of the officers was standing there with a submachine gun on a sling. “It is expected that they can handle anything that happens here. Because of the latest mess between the Turks and the Greeks there have been some violent incidents at the airports. You didn’t hear about what happened in Hamburg a few days ago?”

“What happened in Hamburg?” Henriette asked, she had been busy with getting through the last university term and taking care of Alice to pay too much attention to the news. Marie didn’t seem too interested in enlightening her about what Hamburg had to do with what she was seeing now.

Henriette was quiet as they made their way to the front of the line. She had thought that the Matriarch of the Schultz family was the worst she would have to contend with. Only now it was hitting her that she was stepping into a very different culture. Watching Marie as she spoke with the Customs Officials, speaking with them and how they barely looked at her passport before they stamped it. They knew exactly who she was.

“Good morning” The Official said in heavily accented English, “Your passport please.”

He scrutinized the passport for what seemed like an eternity.

“The purpose of your visit?” The Official asked.

“Visiting… uhm… tourist…” Henriette replied awkwardly.

“I see, do you have anything to declare?”

“No” Henriette replied. Marie had told her to pack light and not to bother bringing anything she didn’t actually need. That made this part extremely easy.

“Thank you, Fraulein Lane” The Official said before he stamped the passport. Collecting her suitcase, Henriette found Marie waiting for her.

“What happened to being shy around strangers?” Henriette asked.

“The Agent who was working the Customs desk wasn’t a stranger” Marie replied, “He worked with my mother when she was with the BII.”

What was the BII? Henriette thought but didn’t ask. She was very far from everything she had ever known and didn’t want to advertise that fact, not even to Marie.

Stepping out of the terminal, Henriette followed Marie. It was as cold as it had been in Montreal when they had left what seemed like a thousand years earlier, but the air felt damp as well. There was the expected pickup/drop off area that was a hive of people and cars. It was noticeable that most of the cars were what would be considered compact back in Canada. There were also a large number of microbuses of various kinds playing the role of taxies. As if it was a creature from another era, something predatory that had escaped the asteroid, a massive gleaming black Mercedes Benz touring car pulled up to the sidewalk the rumbling from the engine seemed to vibrate the very air around it. An extremely tough looking man who seemed to be as wide as he was tall got out and said something in a language (Russian?) that Henriette couldn’t understand. Then he opened the back door of the car for them after he put their luggage into the trunk.

It was with a bit of trepidation that Henriette got in the car with Marie. “Is this a part of the plan?” She asked as the car pulled into traffic.

“Boris has worked for my mother for the last decade” Marie replied as they got onto a highway and were passing through what looked like working class suburbs. Of course, who else would live this close to the highway and airport, Henriette thought to herself. Some things were universal if she had to guess.

The City seemed endless as they drove north and then west. Henriette had been told that Berlin was on the scale of New York City, but had not quite understood what that meant. Eventually, the car left the highways and was on surface streets. It was easy to see that this was probably a beautiful place during the summertime with tree shaded streets and they passed what looked like a collection of large public buildings. “The Humboldt Campus of the University of Berlin” was what Marie said when Henriette asked. Finally, the car drove down a muddy, rutted alleyway before coming to a stop. Henriette wasn’t sure what to expect as she followed Marie through a gate into a small backyard where they had a small brown dog barking at them. The house towered over them with other nearly identical houses on either side. When Henriette imagined the place where Marie had grown up, somehow, this was not what she had ever pictured.

Henriette is going into the fire without any stops in the frying pan.
She is going to experience the uncontrolled chaos of the Shultz Household, with Mama Schultz interrogating her to within a millimeter of her life.
There is also going to be the constant fighting between Bas' sisters Anna and Gretchen, unless Henriette makes the mistake of coming between them.
Then there is Bas' uncles Lenz and Jost who's fights have lasted decades, and for fun they sometimes include his father Tilo in them.
Don't forget about Bas' older cousins Erik and Karl in this mix, and maybe as an added bonus Riear is hanging around,

The von Mischner Household is going to be one of controlled chaos as Kat welcomes one and all for the Christmas holidays.
Henriette may find herself becoming one of "Kat's Girls" as a thank you for being a friend to Marie, and then finding out that she has been used as an example how boys will use naive girls for their own purposes and then tossed aside when things get real.
Maybe Marie's former babysitter Kiki shows up and Kiki's Mother-in-Law and backyard neighbor to Kat, Nadine shows up and Henriette compares her to Margot Blackwood.

Henriette may find herself becoming one of "Kat's Girls" as a thank you for being a friend to Marie, and then finding out that she has been used as an example how boys will use naive girls for their own purposes and then tossed aside when things get real.
Kat hasn't used her in that manner and considering some of the things that have happened to Kat herself as well as several of her girls, it is a bright line she wouldn't cross.

Last edited:
Nadine shows up and Henriette compares her to Margot Blackwood.
This is going to be interesting for Henriette, I think the biggest culture shock will come from Kat.
Margot and Kat are Matriarchs, Margot has her small circle in Toronto(?), where she wielded power over her small domain, and had local power which she guarded jealously.
Kat, on the other hand, IS Berlin.

Seeing this, along with Marie's actions will help to put that in perspective.

Who’s saying it was Kat making the comparisons, there is Petria who’s favorite thing to call the the girls is Foolish Girls, the other girls talking amongst themselves could after what Zella has gone through, used Henrietta as a cautionary tale.
While Kat would never used or made a judgment on Henrietta, she has times in the past shown in stark detail what the consequences are of unplanned pregnancy.

Henriette’s mother had encouraged her to take this trip, accompanying Marie as she had flown home for Christmas. She had been extremely reluctant because this was the first time she had been away from Alice for more than a few hours since her daughter had been born. That had gotten Henriette a talk from her mother about what she owed herself. Her mother knew about the large number of letters that she had written to and received from Sabastian and Henriette needed to learn if he was serious. Or if he was another worthless boy who would flee to Michigan the instant things got difficult. While that did leave a question over how much Henriette’s mother knew and why, she was making a lot of sense. Besides that, Alice would be fine with her grandparents for a week.
Somehow I get the impression that said 'worthless boy' came to a) regret running to Michigan, b) the realisation that Michigan wasn't far enough.