Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Just to think of how much the world has changed due to a case of „weak bladder“ in just the right moment.
One man made the correct, though somewhat unorthodox, choice when presented with orders he found unpalatable and that changed the course of history? It is a real shame that sort of thing hasn't happened more often.

Part 132, Chapter 2247
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Forty-Seven

7th September 1973

Lenk im Simmental, Switzerland

Things had been going as well as could be expected in a place like this. Then Victoria, Consort of the Crown Prince of Bavaria showed up and that upset the apple cart.

“I cannot say that I am surprised to see you here, Mia” Vicky said with a little too much glee. Of course, Vicky knew instantly that the name was fake, but was going along with that after Kat had hastily told her the reasons why she was here under an assumed name. As she was reading Kat’s medical file.

Kat knew that Vicky was studying for a Doctorate of Philosophy at the University of Basel. It was the Alma Mater of Karl Jung, so studying there was a dream come true for her and had been part of her deal with King Albrecht of Bavaria. The other part of that deal was obvious in that Vicky looked like she was about six months pregnant. It was something that she wasn’t letting get in the way of her studies as she toured the private clinics of Switzerland looking for interesting cases for her thesis.

“It says here that you are on an experimental drug that is used to treat depression” Vicky said, “It is also supposed to alleviate hot flashes, but I suppose that you are past that by now.”

“I trust you in that I have known you since you were born” Kat said, “But that trust has limits.”

“I am not making light of your issues, especially with what it says here” Vicky said ignoring Kat’s implied threat. “Did you really try to harm yourself?”

“I didn’t stop men who were looking to do me harm” Kat replied, “There is a difference, even if no one seems to see that the same way I do.”

Vicky gave Kat a look. “Look Mia, I know better than anyone just how you can be a stubborn, uncompromising bitch” She said, “That is a big part of being who you are. It is key to the influence that you have had on me and Kiki. Not so much Rea, I’m not sure what to make of her.”

“What is Rea doing these days?” Kat asked in reply. Vicky delighted in playing the role of Princess Consort. She and Crown Prince Franz of Bavaria were often seen in public with their four-year-old son Max. From the outside they looked like the perfect family, but both Vicky and Franz hid the fact that they were little more than dear friends in a mutual lavender marriage, their personal affections laying elsewhere.

“Getting the University of Krakow International recognition was her main project over the last few years” Vicky said, “I can understand that, but her personal life is going to cause a scandal. She seems to have gotten involved with the son of this this Danish madman, the whole thing makes a mockery of who we are.”

“You forget that I was the one who chased off Lars Vangsgaard the last few times he visited Berlin” Kat said, “Knowing how unconventional she is, do you really think that would be attracted to just anyone who isn’t as strange as she can be?”

“Still” Vicky said, “That is nutty even for Rea.”

It had always been the same. Rea had always been wild and unconventional while Vicky was more conservative and reserved. It was part of the yen and yang that had defined their existence since they had been infants. When they had been children, they had been an unbeatable team, but they had been wrenched apart by circumstances when they had been teenagers. The rift that had resulted between them had never fully healed. Even so, as they had approached adulthood, Rea had cut her hair and had started wearing mannish clothes. That had drawn all suspicion away from Vicky with everyone assuming that it was Rea who was a lesbian. Kat suspected that Vicky was worried that Rea revealing that she had been straight all along would result in renewed focus on her. It was part and parcel with a complaint that Vicky had had when they were teenagers. That if Rea stepped into a rainstorm, it was almost always Vicky who got soaked.

“Your sister will do what is right for her” Kat replied, “I think we can be confident of that.”

Vicky frowned. Over her childhood she had lived in a world of absolutes. The wicked got their just deserts and the good were rewarded. Adolescence had thrown her for a loop, especially when she had realized that she was attracted to the likes of Asia Lawniczak, one of Kat’s protégées and the present Mistress of the Keys, who had quite a reputation around the Imperial Court after her son Heinrich had been legitimized by Royal Decree so that the House of Hesse would not go extinct. Vicky’s attraction had been something that Asia had found both alarming and flattering, but that was nothing compared to how Vicky had taken it. That wasn’t a part of where Vicky had imagined her life going until she had been forced to deal with it. Rea threatening to out her in a fit of pique had been a part of that. That had resulted in a physical altercation between Rea and Kiki, with Kiki hampered by the fact that she had not actually wanted to hurt her sister.

“Enough about that” Kat said, “Tell me about this one.”

Kat gestured towards Vicky’s expanded belly.

“The scans say that she is healthy” Vicky said, it was obviously a much happier subject. “Unlike the last time.”

Kat remembered that Vicky’s last baby had died just minutes after being born having not developed properly. It had been a terrible thing for her to have gone though.

“So, you already know that it is going to be a little girl?” Kat asked.

“That is what the technician who conducted the scan said” Vicky replied, “Please, don’t tell anyone else, it is just supposed to be me and Franz who know.”

Which probably meant that Anna, Vicky’s actual partner, and King Albrecht already knew.

“You know that I can keep secrets” Kat replied.

Glad to see Vicky being able to do what she wants to do by going to Basel and let's face it King Albrecht had no choice but to agree to whatever Vicky wanted.
Lars Vangsgaard did not seem to me to be somewhat "strange" but as someone reluctantly supporting his father in his Quixotic quest of creating a Grand Duchy on an island that is Danish territory.
If Rea and Lars do get married it still will be presumed that Rea is a lesbian because why would a Queen from the House of Hohenzollern select someone so insignificant and unimportant as a consort unless it is for some other reason, the fact that Kiki married a commoner is not relevant because they were childhood sweethearts and Ben has proven himself in combat to be a worthy consort to a Princess that is not going to become a monarch.

Well scans until now can only reveal with 100% certainty if it is a boy. If it is a girl is not certain.
I know as well as anyone that it is all about percentages. In this case, a technician who stares at monitors all day looking at imaging saw a healthy fetus, much to the relief of the parents, and told them it was probably a girl because he couldn't see developing gonads with any certainty. Vicky heard what she wanted to.

Last edited:
Glad to see Vicky being able to do what she wants to do by going to Basel and let's face it King Albrecht had no choice but to agree to whatever Vicky wanted.
Indeed.

If Rea and Lars do get married it still will be presumed that Rea is a lesbian because why would a Queen from the House of Hohenzollern select someone so insignificant and unimportant as a consort unless it is for some other reason
Also true. Plus…well, by being married with a child and another one on the way (plus being very high-femme), nobody has any reason to look at Vicky and wonder. The default assumption at this time would be that she’s straight, people would only start looking if she was seen going to certain clubs or hosting certain soirées, and she doesn’t do that thanks to having her partner right there, so…

ferdi254

Banned
If it is a boy there comes a time when a certain organ might be seen pretty clearly. If that organ is not seen it can still be a boy or a girl.

But as long as that organ is not identified the sex of the fetus is until today (with much better technique and much better trained staff) a flip of a coin.

As I think about it, Queen Marie Cecile make be keeping Lars around for practical reasons.
As an unmarried female Monarch once she is married the name of the House is usually changed from her name to the name of her husband with the exception of the House of Windsor in Great Britian and the House of Orange in the Netherlands.
With that in mind Rea could be getting a whole bunch of unwanted suitors from the second, third, fourth sons+ of undistinguished Families of the Nobility and minor Royalty who are lucky if they are invited to any of the best places and if they are invited it is usually on sufferance.
Marrying Rea is the quickest way to boost the esteem of any of their families without earning it and by keeping Lars around, Rea is able to blow off any potential suitors without giving unnecessary offense and who knows Rea has shown before to have an affinity to the outcasts and misfits on the edge of "Polite Society" and may have actual feelings for Lars.

Part 132, Chapter 2248
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Forty-Eight

8th September 1973

North Sea,

The SMS K24 “Grindwal” was headed North at flank speed, seven smaller boats, six S-Boats and a newer Gunboat, following. While few craft could keep up with the fast boats in calm seas, they lacked the seakeeping ability of the Corvette. So, in these seas they struggled to keep pace with the Grindwal.

Standing on the bridge, Louis Ferdinand Junior stood peering into the squall and the gathering gloom, his binoculars hanging useless around his neck as rain splattered against the windscreen. Every few minutes, the Radar Operator called out the course and bearing of the contact that they were trying to reach as the Helmsman fought to keep the Grindwal on course.

As the Grindwal crested a swell, Louis heard the sound of the propellers racing as they were clear of the water for a heartbeat. Seconds later, the Corvette dropped into a trough and for a few seconds wallowed sickeningly before she started climbing the next wave. They were heading at the best possible speed towards a Ferry that plied the waters of the North Sea, delivering cargo, passengers, and their cars to various points on the North Sea and the Baltic.

It was an orange glow on the horizon first, a worrying sign for Louis. It reminded him of the last time he had sped to the rescue on the Windhund, it had been too late and the fishing boat that had called for help had already gone under. He was hoping for a different outcome this time.

“For you, Sir” The Ship’s Steward said. Louis had been so absorbed with what was going on elsewhere he had not noticed the man’s approach. He was carrying a tray, meaning that he had just come from the galley. “Compliments of the Cook.”

It was expected that the Ship’s Captain would remain on the bridge for the duration of a crisis. That meant that it fell on the crew members of the Crew whose job it was to see to it that he didn’t fall over in the meantime. That included trying to get him to eat something.

“Tell the Cook that he has my gratitude” Louis replied as the tray was sat down within his reach. With that the Steward scuttled off on some other errand. From the looks of it, it was the stew that the Cook made with whatever he had on hand served with coffee. Louis could tell from the smell that he must have gone heavy with the kimchee, which had been popular with the Navy since the Sino-Korean War. That was to hide the taste of the potted meat that wasn’t as well regarded. Louis didn’t care as he ate his meal while hardly taking the time to taste it. Still, it was a hot meal, rather welcome at the moment.

“Sound General Quarters” Louis ordered as the Corvette drew closer to the Ferry, “And tell the men to form damage control parties, volunteers only.”

He doubted that anyone aboard the Grindwal was asleep, but sounding General Quarters let them know that he, along with them, meant business. He also knew that no one among the crew was a shirker by now. When word got around that that he had said that he only wanted volunteers, he figured that few would decline to do so. They would sooner cut off their left arm than be called a coward, it was stain that never washed out.

As the Corvette drew closer, Louis could read the words Rose of Inverness painted on the bow. What he saw aboard the stricken Ferry instantly reminded Louis of a Hieronymus Bosch painting. The aft quarter was completely engulfed in fire and dozens of passengers were huddled in the bow section in whatever shelter they could find. There was an effort underway to launch the lifeboats, but the sea and weather conspired to make that difficult.

“Radio the other boats and tell them to prepare to aid in evacuating the civilians” Louis said as he prepared a message for Wilhelmshaven. He requested all available assistance to be sent. Additionally, he ordered the Ship’s Radio Operator to broadcast the same message in the clear. That was a massive breach of protocol in that it gave the location of the Grindwal and her small flotilla, but he felt that it was the correct thing to do. That choice was vindicated minutes later when the MF Stord out of Norway responded, saying that they would be on the scene in a couple hours.

Louis watched as his men tied the Grindwal to the Rose, more than he had asked of them. There were a lot of risks in what they were doing, but he would accept no less. Those that didn’t go to fight the fires themselves helped the civilians board the Grindwal. He lost track of how long it had been until a white ship appeared alongside and he saw that it was the Stord.

“On the radio, for you, Sir” One of the men on the bridge said handing Louis the headset. He immediately heard Borchardt’s voice over the radio. The Oberdeckoffizer was yelling at the men, presumably aboard the Ferry before Borchardt turned his attention back to the radio.

“We got a situation over here Captain” Borchardt said, “And only you can untangle it.”

----------------------------------------------------------------

“We got the fire out” Borchardt said as they climbed the stairs to the bridge of the Rose, “But she is taking on water faster than the pumps can keep up with and we are too far from the shore to beach her.”

Louis understood that meant that this was going to be an expensive day for the line that owned the Rose of Inverness. He had seen the whole of the situation as he had passed from the bridge of the Grindwal to the Rose. There had been civilians crammed into every available space. The arrival of the Stord had enabled them to evacuate the rest of the passengers and the crew of the Rose. The Captain of the Rose was proving a bit difficult though. He didn’t want to leave his ship. Louis understood, he wouldn’t want to leave the Grindwal if the situation was reversed.

“Good morning” Louis said when he saw Captain McPherson looking out the window at the ships and boats that had responded to his distress call.

“Your men already tried to talk me into leaving” McPherson said.

“Then Borchardt told you that we cannot save your ship” Louis replied, “The passengers and your men are safe, you’ve completed your duty. So, its time, Sir.”

“For what?” McPherson asked.

“To let her go” Louis replied, and he saw the heartbreak on McPherson’s face.

Last edited:
The Rose of Inverness exists in TTL though not our own, but is similar to the ML Norland from OTL.

download (4).jpg

Last edited:
Another superb update @Peabody-Martini ! also a good indication of how LF Jr has got the ship in first rate condition, aided by Buffer Borchardt. The Grindwal’s cooks are now no doubt preparing lots of hot cocoa/coffee for the shocked passengers & crew taken off the stricken Rose of Inverness. I hope her Captain is Ok. Sometimes the ship cannot be saved, but he need not go down with it. Happy New Year from Australia 🇦🇺!

And LF Jr. has just checked off a couple of more boxes that has him head and shoulders above his peers.
First off this is a massive public relations coup for the KLM and having the brother of the Kaiser leading the flotilla that rescued all the passengers is just the cherry on top.
Second the nations that had their citizens rescued are going to honor the crew and LF Jr. is going to be accepting them on behalf of the crew which just adds more prestige to both the givers of the honors and the recipients.
Next up for LF Jr. is going to be an important off ship posting such as the Aide-de-Camp to the Grand Admiral, A posting to either the German Embassy in London or Washington D.C. as Naval Attache , or an important staff job with the KLM.
There are only two impediments to furthering his career, one is the lack of a "Suitable Wife" to show he has personal stability and two the fact that his brother is the Kaiser is not looked on fondly as the Chancellor and the Reichstag may not want an Imperial Prince to have real power like being the Grand Admiral of the KLM.

Louis Jr. as a Naval attaché would be posted to in order of importance because of his personal status would be in this order: UK, Japan, Russia, Canada, then US. You might switch Japan and UK just because Japan is family.

Louis Jr. as a Naval attaché would be posted to in order of importance because of his personal status would be in this order: UK, Japan, Russia, Canada, then US. You might switch Japan and UK just because Japan is family.
If we go by the importance to Germany of who are the main rivals to the German Navy then the first ones are the United States and Great Britain and if he is stationed in Washington D.C. as an Imperial Prince he can charm the wives of high ranking USN officers and the wives of important Congressional committee members to get information that otherwise not readily available.

ferdi254

Banned
Happy New Year to everyone.

And from what I have read about the arctic convoys in WW2 not getting hot food for prolonged times was a major matter for the mood of the crews.

„Ohne Mampf kein Kampf“. „Without food no fight“ seems to be a universal topic in fighting forces.
So Kudos the the Chef to make sure hot food is available.

Happy New Year.
With another successful trip by Kiki and her barge the Foreign Ministry may want her to go to France next year or in a couple of years from now make a trip through the waterways of North America, but the most impact she could make is a trip through the Amazon River Basin bringing needed medical care to the indigenous population of the basin, bit this only if her barge can navigate the waterways.