Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Part 130, Chapter 2212
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Twelve

14th April 1973

Charlottenburg, Berlin

Zella was sitting on the couch by the window looking down at the crowds of people as they went about their business in the shopping district as she was procrastinating on a Saturday morning. Her own apartment, now that she had moved in, was six floors above those busy streets. She had spent a considerable amount of time finding an apartment that suited her needs. A modern building located in a neighborhood that had some life in it. Living in a business district where everyone went home at the end of the weekday, effectively making it a ghost town by early evening most days. Which was completely unacceptable. The energy in a place like that was always odd, artificial.

She had needed to move out of her parent’s house oddly because they were no longer there. With Zella’s mother having retired from the BT they suddenly had time to do the things they wanted to do. That had left Zella knocking about an empty house and the silence had really started getting to her. Moving into an apartment had its disadvantages, but you were always aware that there were people around. It was those interactions that Zella missed, despite how annoyed she got with her mother’s probing questions. It was also the first time in Zella’s life that she had not lived the townhouse belonging to her parents. Supposedly, she had moved with her mother back to Berlin after being born in Australia but had no memory of that move. That made it quite an adjustment.

Moving in had been simple enough with most of the furniture needing to be ordered, it had been delivered and set up before Zella had started moving her things in. Getting things just how she like was going to take a whole lot of time though and there were still boxes everywhere. The apartment itself was of an open floorplan with only a partition separating the “Bedroom” from the common area. A small bathroom was just off the kitchen. Zella suspected the kitchen probably wouldn’t see a whole lot of use and that it had been designed that way to simplify the plumbing. Bay windows made up the much of one of the walls and they gave her an excellent view of the roof of the Department Store across the street and the pigeons who roosted there. Beyond that, there was a glimpse of the Tiergarten several blocks to the east and the towers rising in the City Center.

There came a pounding on the door.

She had agreed to help her “Aunt” with a different niece who had been causing a great deal of trouble with one of her sisters lately and she had asked if Zella could help out? She said that it would be good for both of them, and Zella had felt obligated. With a great deal of annoyance, Zella got to her feet and padded over the door. Looking out the wide-angle lens of the peephole, Zella saw that it was the guest whose presence she was dreading. Throwing open the bolt, Zella opened the door. It was a heavy steel door hung in a steel frame set into reinforced concrete, so nothing short of explosives was getting through. Even so, it had ball-bearing hinges which meant that it swung smoothly open.

“Kat says that I am supposed to help you unpack” Sophie said with the sort of pout that was to be expected of fourteen-year-olds everywhere, her birthday having only been a couple days earlier. “It took me forever to find this place.”

“In this neighborhood?” Zella asked, “I doubt it was a hardship.”

“I don’t know where anything is around here” Sophie replied pushing her bicycle into the apartment. “I was…”

Sophie had stopped talking when she saw the boxes waiting to be unpacked and switched to several swearwords that Zella had been unaware that she would know. Of course, living in Kat’s household for the last five years must have been quite the education for her. Some of things that Kat insisted on were terrifying until you realized it was her way of teaching you to deal with those things out there which were far worse.

“I guess there is a lot left to unpack” Zella said, unsure about what else to say.

As Sophie looked around, she saw that one of the cardboard boxes contained hand tools. “Don’t you have a motorcycle?”

“It is in the shop” Zella replied, “And even if it weren’t I wouldn’t park it up here, there is a garage on the ground floor of this building, next to the loading dock.”

Zella’s motorcycle, a BMW K3 she’d had for the last few years was a model that was somewhat notorious for shredding tires. Michelin had finally decided to make a belted radial tire for motorcycles that promised to finally fix that problem and Zella figured that the new tires were worth springing for. The trouble was that she lacked the time to do it herself. So, Zella had swallowed her pride and taken her motorcycle to a mechanic who her father had recommended.

“The box of tools is not what we are going be unpacking today” Zella said, “The boxes over by the windows contain art supplies, I would like to get those sorted.”

Sophie brightened at the prospect of that.

Last edited:
It is good to see Zella finally tying her own place and even better to see her mother Maria retired and seeing the world with Emil.
Maria won't stop writing but it will at her own pace and what she wants to write about.
Kat is channeling her inner Aunt Marcella by having Sophie helping Zella and that is what Aunt Marcella did to Kat after the Reichstag bombing in the first timeline when she made Kat work in the backyard garden.
Kat is also hoping that Zella and Sophie can help each other with what is bothering, them.

not the sort of place or district i would have expected Zella to go for.
I would have thought an old light industrial building in an older part of the city that was on the cusp of regeneration would have been more her style.
With Zella making a loft style apartment above her own workshop come garage come studio space.
With Kat's connections I am sure such a property could be found on reasonable terms.

They
The British learned the very hard way at the Somme that even a very impressive artillery barrage will not clear out troops in well prepared trenches.
They learnt it fighting the Maori during the New Zealand Land Wars (the most accurately named wars in history), forgot about it because "colonials & natives", learnt it again fighting the Boer during the 2nd Boer War in Southern Africa, forgot it again because "colonials", got the refresher course in 1914-15 in France, Greece and Gallipoli and still screwed up at the Somme. They then had to relearn it in WW2.
Everyone else also made the same mistakes in their own wars, learnt the same lessons, forgot said lessons and had to relearn them again.

not the sort of place or district i would have expected Zella to go for.
A modern building located in a neighborhood that is in the center of action and work only being a short walk away through a park vs. an Industrial neighborhood further out from the city center in an old building that probably comes with a number of headaches that would need to be sorted through. Which do you think would be more appealing?

A modern building located in a neighborhood that is in the center of action and work only being a short walk away through a park vs. an Industrial neighborhood further out from the city center in an old building that probably comes with a number of headaches that would need to be sorted through. Which do you think would be more appealing?
Ahhh, Zella has finally become sensible.

Well, sensible-ish. And probably only about this.

That reminds me, did we miss the fate of Yury?

Part 130, Chapter 2213
Chapter Two Thousand Two Hundred Thirteen

15th April 1973

Charlottenburg, Berlin

Finding a child staying at Zella’s new place the prior night was not the sort of greeting that he was expecting. It being Sunday, Yuri had intended to go out for breakfast with her after working on an hour-long presentation that was going to air that night about the state of primary schools in Berlin for the entire week and late into the night before. He had managed to get a few hours of sleep before dragging himself out of bed. Admittedly his motivations for that involved a bit more than breakfast, but those plans were dashed in many ways.

Zella said that when she and Sophie had finished working on the apartment the night before, it had been too late to send Sophie home on her bicycle and the bicycle was too large to fit in her car. Having Sophie stay the night had been the easiest solution.

“Aunt Katherine sent Sophie this weekend to help unpack boxes” Zella said, “And that has worked out well.”

The apartment was a lot more organized than it had been when Yuri had been here last. The thing which stuck out though was that while evidence of Zella’s art was everywhere her actual work was nowhere to be seen. Zella had told Yuri that when she was at home, she wanted peace and video editing was the exact opposite of that. Dozens of bottles containing different oils and pigments were set up on the shelves by the windows. It seemed that was what Zella really wanted to get back into. There were also the hundreds of books and vinyl records that would take weeks to go through, not to mention dozens of keepsakes that she had acquired over the last three decades. Basically, Zella needed all the help she could get.

“Who are you?” Sophie asked Yuri as Zella was rummaging around in boxes for the coffee maker.

“I’m Yuri, Zella’s friend from work” Yuri replied. He was half dreading whatever Zella’s “Aunt” Katherine might have told her about his relationship with Zella.

“Oh” Sophie replied before seeming to lose interest.

“Hell” Zella muttered as she finally found the automatic coffee maker and the pot had a big crack running across it.

“I think you will need a new one” Sophie said, stating the obvious though it wasn’t remotely helpful.

“No place that sells these is open today” Zella said, staring at the offensive coffee pot in her hand.

“We can always get coffee elsewhere” Yuri said, “We were planning on going out anyway.”

“That was before I had company” Zella said.

“Just where were you planning on going?” Sophie asked, all innocence. Yuri’s sisters were only a few years older than Sophie, so he knew that was a total sham.

“There is a café open on Sundays that Yuri knows about” Zella replied. “It is not the sort of place that caters to families.”

“I’m not exactly family” Sophie said, there being a touch of petulance in her voice.

“No, but you are legally considered a minor” Yuri said, “That is what they mean by family.”

Sophie didn’t say what she thought of that, but the raspberry she blew at Yuri.

“I’ll call Kat and see if I can get her to come collect Sophie a bit early today, like as soon as she can get here” Zella said, a bit annoyed by Sophie’s attitude.

“See if you can get her to bring coffee” Yuri suggested, “Solve two problems at once.”

“That might not work” Sophie said, “One of Kat’s former Aides is getting married today, the formal church part anyway, the mother of the groom insisted on it. Small ceremony, immediate family only. Kat sent everyone but her and Doug elsewhere for the weekend too.”

“We’ll see about that” Zella said as she picked up the phone.

Minutes later, Zella looked rather cross as she resumed unpacking boxes with Sophie and Yuri. Kat had asked Zella if she could keep Sophie until early that evening as they had originally planned but promised to make it worth her while. Zella knew that was what passed as an apology from Kat, so she was forced to accept it. Kat had also said that she would make a call and bring in some additional help for Zella and they would be bringing food, so Zella didn’t have much to complain about. Or at least she though she didn’t…

Eventually they all heard the doorbell, which Zella had been unaware existed until someone pressed the button. Looking out through the peephole, Zella saw a woman in her thirties carrying brown paper bags and a carrier holding four large paper cups of presumably coffee. At the moment, Zella wouldn’t have cared if it were that maniac slasher in California that she had been hearing about in the wire feeds. If this person had breakfast, she would be perfectly prepared to let them in.

“You must be Zella…” The woman started to say, before her jaw dropped open in shock. “You’re Marcella von Holz… From television.”

“It’s a job, that’s all” Zella said as she swung the door open all the way.

As that happened the woman yelled over her shoulder. “Gabi, get in here now!” Before turning back to Zella. “The Kurfürstin said that you were doing her a favor and that if I could arrange breakfast for a few people, she would be most thankful. I had no idea that it would be you. I guess you can me Jana.”

She paused for a moment when she saw Sophie and Zella a sour expression crossed her face for an instant. Then presumably Gabi entered the apartment Zella instantly saw the close resemblance between her and Sophie and how close they were in age. As the two girls were going about the high-pitched greeting that their sort did, Zella saw the story, including why Jana was willing to help out even if it was something that she didn’t care to think about.

“Just who are you?” Jana asked Yuri who was looking to Zella to give an answer. Zella was giving Sophie a hard look to let her know not to speak out of turn though.

“You must be Zella…” The woman started to say, before her jaw dropped open in shock. “You’re Marcella von Holz… From television.”

“It’s a job, that’s all” Zella said as she swung the door open all the way.

As that happened the woman yelled over her shoulder. “Gabi, get in here now!” Before turning back to Zella. “The Kurfürstin said that you were doing her a favor and that if I could arrange breakfast for a few people, she would be most thankful. I had no idea that it would be you. I guess you can me Jana.”
Got another chuckle from me.

Wonder what Kat had to do to set that up?

and a carrier holding four large paper cups of presumably coffee.
Surprised to see this kind of 'to go' culture in Berlin in the early 70s. On the one hand I'm pretty sure that the technical part of manufacturing those cups might work out at the time (PE coating, double sides - shouldn't be too difficult).
On the other hand, at least according to my perception as a non-coffee drinker from quite a bit South of Berlin, that kind of disposable take away coffee turned up in the early 2000s OTL. (Or to put it different - with the expansion of Starbucks. And unfortunately quick study of google and wikipedia early in the morning wasn't helpful getting a definite answer.)

Then again thinking about it, Berlin in this is described as the kind of melting-pot cultural hotspot where I wouldn't be surprised if take-away culture were to evolve and change and expand. There is after all this market place Kat was involved in we saw earlier in the story, that might or might not be a place where a coffee shop might take cues from their neighbour selling take away food.

altamiro

Banned
Surprised to see this kind of 'to go' culture in Berlin in the early 70s. On the one hand I'm pretty sure that the technical part of manufacturing those cups might work out at the time (PE coating, double sides - shouldn't be too difficult).
On the other hand, at least according to my perception as a non-coffee drinker from quite a bit South of Berlin, that kind of disposable take away coffee turned up in the early 2000s OTL. (Or to put it different - with the expansion of Starbucks. And unfortunately quick study of google and wikipedia early in the morning wasn't helpful getting a definite answer.)

Then again thinking about it, Berlin in this is described as the kind of melting-pot cultural hotspot where I wouldn't be surprised if take-away culture were to evolve and change and expand. There is after all this market place Kat was involved in we saw earlier in the story, that might or might not be a place where a coffee shop might take cues from their neighbour selling take away food.
Yeah, it would be rather unusual. Most likely they would deliver a thermos can with coffee and some sort of multi-use cups, probably some cheap ceramic (or not so cheap - assuming Kat gets the invoice, it's not like she is poor).

In the US, Dunkin Donuts began franchising in 1955 and had a 100 stores by 1965. It's hard to believe that it took 35 years for the idea of "coffee and a doughnut" to cross over to Germany given the US military presence and influence.

In the US, Dunkin Donuts began franchising in 1955 and had a 100 stores by 1965. It's hard to believe that it took 35 years for the idea of "coffee and a doughnut" to cross over to Germany given the US military presence and influence.
That applies to OTL rather than ITTL as America didn't get involved in WWII ITTL.
However, following the Kraut Scares ITTL, a number of German-Americans found America rather hostile towards them and Germany much more welcoming of them, and their ideas.

Different route, same end destination.

That applies to OTL rather than ITTL as America didn't get involved in WWII ITTL.
However, following the Kraut Scares ITTL, a number of German-Americans found America rather hostile towards them and Germany much more welcoming of them, and their ideas.
When you think about who would be open early on a Sunday the answer becomes obvious and they are of American extraction by way of New York.
Kemper or Mullin? Or are we looking at someone original?
No, no, and oddly, no. Which is sort of sick when you think about it.

No surprise, Germans take their food seriouly. Just take a look at their many bread variations etc... From personal experience I know that German Bakery also had an Kaffeestube attached, So going on Sunday morning to a bakery to fetch a fresh baked "brotchen" and an cup of coffee is quit normal

No, no, and oddly, no. Which is sort of sick when you think about it.
Hmm, curious then. Not saying those two were the only ones active in '73 California, just the first two that jump to mind.

And not feeling "original" about Serial Killers is probably a good thing. Those fuckers are usually messed up well enough that I wouldn't want to be able to write one.

First Dunkin Donuts in Germany OTL opened in 1999. And from what I remember they still have a rather hard time competing. Local bakery chains having caught up on the 'to go' coffee aspect, and baked goods and bread being serious business in Germany.

When you think about who would be open early on a Sunday the answer becomes obvious and they are of American extraction by way of New York.
Not sure what you are referring to.

But it wasn't the 'Sunday morning' aspect that threw me - the traditional German bakery often even on Sunday opened as early as 5 o'clock, but almost certainly before 8 in the morning. (Though there might have been the start of those that didn't open Sunday at all, Berlin is large enough that you should be able to find one easily.) You might have more trouble to find one that stays opened past midday on Sundays in fact.
And even in the 70s, I think you'd have found a couple that had a table or three and offered coffee to be consumed locally.

Or as another poster mentioned, to take away in a thermos. It's the disposable paper cups that felt odd to me, since as I mentioned in my perception those only proliferated in the early 2000s.

(That's not to mention that Berlin had a Kaffeehauskultur on it's own, though I hardly know anything about those to comment on those specifically. If OTL and the Austrian experience can be taken as a measuring stick, they were probably somewhat declining by the 70s, and maybe as OTL partially replaced with Espresso Bars that were less likely to open Sunday)

No surprise, Germans take their food seriouly. Just take a look at their many bread variations etc... From personal experience I know that German Bakery also had an Kaffeestube attached, So going on Sunday morning to a bakery to fetch a fresh baked "brotchen" and an cup of coffee is quit normal
In Germany, bakeries are actually the safest way to get a coffee.
There are pure coffee bars like Starbucks in the big cities, but for the rest of germany is the bakery the quickest way to get a good coffee.