Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

If John Aleshire is not already in Federal custody he should be finding a way to beat feet out of the United States but his problem is that he is now very radioactive and no doubt that many countries will not take him in.
Aleshire is now a liability to the Germans and to keep him from talking they are going to feed him to the crabs.
The British are on the sideline with their tea and crumpets watching with detached amusement and wanting nothing to do with this and content to see the United States and Germany go at each other.
The only possible ones that may help Aleshire are the French and Russians but that is going to come at a very high price to him and there are no guarantees that they won't dispose of him after they wring every last drop of information from him.
Aleshire best bet is to make a deal with the Feds tell them everything and hope to get a release date and new identities for his family.
not taking him would also be a pretty big liability, considering how that would look to any other assets of the BND.

Last edited:
I forgot, does the public know about Johann Schultz and the sabotage of the atomic bomb program? If so, this is Robert Hanssen. If not, it’s like a worse Rosenbergs.

not taking him would also be a pretty big liability, considering how that would look to any other asset of the BND.
The most important thing in all of this is the state of relations between Germany and the United States and as far as the BND is concerned Aleshire outed himself and blew his own cover so that is all on him.
There was always an unspoken contract that if Aleshire was discreet and didn’t bring attention to himself he would be protected but if he did something himself that put him under the spotlight for his actions then there is nothing Germany can do to protect him.

ferdi254

Banned
There is a very bad side effect here. We are having a USA ITTL that has not seen the black people in the war, no mass moving to the North to earn money so they are still under Jim Crow in the southern states (meaning about the same status as jews in 1936 Germany OTL)

and now the only institution that could possibly help them will get burned to the ground…

plus the whole King topic might blow up.

So the black people will be seen as supported by/paid by/spies for Germany.

This could get extremely ugly. Extremely as in „comparably Japanese immigrants to the USA had a seriously better life in the USA christmas 41 OTL than black people in the USA ITTL“.

There is a very bad side effect here. We are having a USA ITTL that has not seen the black people in the war, no mass moving to the North to earn money so they are still under Jim Crow in the southern states (meaning about the same status as jews in 1936 Germany OTL)

ferdi, just to remind you although the South' Jim Crow laws were very bad the North also participated (check the Green Book (book or movie). gallen.

ferdi254

Banned
Gallen you are right. The whole race discussion that has been muted by PM since a couple hundred posts now could flare up big time.

What are the chances that if the USA is making a ruckus out of this, that a German Diplomat gives them a letter containing numerous USA agents in Germany and the world over with name, code name and description... with the last sentence being "Want that to be known? Love Kat"

It would be enough, if a few of the actions that German agents prevented in America become known.
The atomic bomb incident as an example

It would be enough, if a few of the actions that German agents prevented in America become known.
The atomic bomb incident as an example
The headline would be "Germans had to save America... Again"

This could end up with TTL's America making OTL South Africa look like a model of restraint.
I wonder how many German-Americans will look north if this goes bad, and how many Blacks will look South?

Part 128, Chapter 2171
Chapter Two Thousand One-Hundred Seventy-One

27th August 1972

Schwielochsee, Spreewald National Park

Waking up this morning, Sophie had realized that summer was finally coming to an end. That was even before everyone had been assembled and told that as they knew arrangements had already been made for them to go home and they wanted for things to remain orderly as they boarded the buses that were going to take them to the train station. She remembered walking between the cabin she shared with Franziska along a few other girls their age and the Dining Hall for breakfast. The air had had an odd feel, particulates hung in the air giving it a soft feel.

Sophie knew as soon as she saw it that summer had passed into autumn. Though the trees were still a riot of green, it had taken on air of fragility, here and there were a few leaves that had already taken on fall colors. She couldn’t help but feel a bit sad. The summer had passed like a beautiful dream. Just like that, it was over. Going back to the cabin, Sophie took her time packing her bags. Ziska joined her and they started talking about the upcoming school term, all the things that they would be doing and what they hoped their families overlooked. Still, there would be the early mornings and awkward social interactions that neither of them was looking forward to. Like always, Ziska finished packing before Sophie and was sitting on a chair watching her finish packing.

“It would be grand if we could live out here year-round” Ziska said as Sophie put the metal loop through the eyelets on the canvas bag and throwing it on her bed. It had been stripped like all the others in the cabin, so it was just a bare mattress. “Watching the seasons pass. I bet autumn is spectacular here and during the winter, on the lake…”

“Where you wouldn’t be able to keep warm” Sophie finished, “Once everyone else went home you would be bored out of your mind inside a week.”

“Poor cynical Sophie” Ziska said, “Not every silver lining is attached to a coal black cloud.”

“Call it experience” Sophie replied. She knew that Ziska’s family lived a comfortable existence. Sophie on the other hand owed her present lot in life entirely to Kurfürstin Katherine. While she knew that Kat would never chuck her out on the street, what Sophie would do as an adult was totally unknown to her. While she was told at her school that the students were all considered bound for University, beyond that was Terra Incognita complete with signs that read; Here there be Dragons.

“What about one of those vacation houses across the lake?” Ziska asked, “When we are adults, a few years from now.”

“You think you will be able to afford a vacation house as a student?” Sophie asked. Most of those houses were second homes of people who lived in the City. They had explored around them and found that they were occupied for no more than a few weeks out of the year. Others were rentals that had a rotating roster of guests over the course of the summer.

“Me, no” Ziska replied, “But Poppa certainly could swing it.”

“Then it would be your father’s vacation house” Sophie said as she peered under the bed to make sure she wasn’t forgetting anything.

“Yes” Ziska said, “But I would be free to use it, Astrid wouldn’t be allowed to set foot in it though. That is nonnegotiable.”

Sophie did find that last part funny. Ziska’s older sister had been especially cruel to her over the last year so it was no surprise that she would want to exclude her.

Silesia

Opa had left with the boys for the Summer Games in Munich a couple days earlier. The sudden quiet around the estate had been almost jarring. At the same time, Ilse had been joined Nancy, Bas, Anna, and Gretchen’s mother and they were intent upon preparing them to go to school next week. That had included Mathilda, who had never experienced formal education before, so she was equal parts scared and excited.

There was also the return of Albrecht, or the Admiral as Mathilda thought of him. He was Opa’s son, Ilse’s Husband, as well as Niko and Ingrid’s father. Mathilda had no idea what he would be like but was curious about him. On a Sunday morning, she spied on him playing with Ingrid. The little girl was just growing out of being a toddler and seemed to love everyone she came into contact with including the other people, horses, dogs, and cats on the estate. It was noticeable that the cats in particular didn’t love her back and fled as soon as they saw her. Mathilda’s observation post must not have been too good because after a few minutes, the Admiral asked her if she was planning on being social or would like to hide in the bushes all afternoon.

“Ilse told me a lot about you” Albrecht said as Mathilda crawled out from under the bushes. “Do you go by something like Mattie or Tillie, Tilda? Mathilda sounds so formal.”

“My Mum calls me Tilda” Mathilda replied, “No one else does.”

Of course, Mathilda hadn’t known too many other people. In the small community she had grown up in, she had thought that “Girl” said sharply was a nickname for the first six years of her life. Wulfstan had often called her different things that revolved around the word “Snot.”

“Well, I am pleased to belatedly welcome you as my family’s guest Tilda” Albrecht said as Ingrid hugged his legs.

The manner was similar, yet totally unlike Opa. The delivery though, that was what made it different. Despite herself, Mathilda smiled at that introduction.

Last edited:
Will Mathilda go to militay school with Niko? I also wonder how discovery of John Elis affect music industry and the bands. I am sure the American ones will atleast be investigated and most have something or other which can put them in jail

In previous chapters, the Americans claimed to have an agent highly placed in the German government.
This could end up blowing up badly for the Americans too unless the Germans are complacent.
I would not be surprised if the BII was aware of this asset and have turned them. Or that the agent in question was a BII operative the entire time.
“Call it experience” Sophie replied. She knew that Ziska’s family lived a comfortable existence. Sophie on the other hand owed her present lot in life entirely to Kurfürstin Katherine. While she knew that Kat would never chuck her out on the street, what Sophie would do as an adult was totally unknown to her. While she was told at her school that the students were all considered bound for University, beyond that was Terra Incognita complete with signs that read; Here there be Dragons.
Sophie still hasn't twigged to the fact that Kat considers her to be family. As does the rest of Kat's household and extended clan. Sophie is, to all intents & purposes, a von Mischner.
“Well, I am pleased to belatedly welcome you as my family’s guest Tilda” Albrecht said as Ingrid hugged his legs.

The manner was similar, yet totally unlike Opa. The delivery though, that was what made it different. Despite herself, Mathilda smiled at that introduction.
And in a similar vein, despite the title of 'guest', Mathilda has been adopted into the von Richtofen clan.

Will Mathilda go to militay school with Niko? I also wonder how discovery of John Elis affect music industry and the bands. I am sure the American ones will atleast be investigated and most have something or other which can put them in jail
Most people don't know that John Ellis and John Dillenger are the same person. Those that do are, for the most part, simultaneously conducting damage control while dodging the immense amount of excrement being flung from the blades of the rotary air impeller. Most of those who only know him as John Ellis are wondering what the hell happened to him, as he just dropped off the face of the plane. Some are coming to the realisation that the photos of the dead American criminal John Dillenger look exactly like John Ellis. Zella would be in this latter group. Sarah, on the other hand, will be wondering when & how to publish Ellis' autobiography without getting into trouble. Or dropping her sister, who was a technical member of THAT field operation conducted on US soil, into the crapper. That is when the penny will drop for the rest of the world.

There are so many different and interconnecting scenarios that could happen, one of them after the initial reporting and the crapstorm that is going on the story dies down if there are no new major revelations.
Another possibility is that IOTL Gov. Spiro Agnes is receiving bribes and kickbacks since he was the Baltimore County Executive and still continued when he was Vice President, is exposed ITTL as he is the Republican Party Presidential nominee and more focus is put on him.
Nixon if he gives a warts and all statement about his involvement with the King Affair should the next day give a press conference where he answers questions until the last reporter stops asking.
Germany may go with the "Rogue Actors who operated without permission and supervision" route and do a "Limited Hangout" to contain the damage.
Also Germany may have to make concessions to the United States on arms and trade agreements to gain favor.
Another thing is that the Summer Olympics will become a major battlefield between the United States and Germany for the top medal count where before it was just a sideshow to the Games, maybe there will be something like the IOTL 1956 Water Polo match between the Soviet Union and Hungary after the 1956 Hungarian Revolution which was called "The Blood in the Water Match".

Another possibility is that IOTL Gov. Spiro Agnes is receiving bribes and kickbacks since he was the Baltimore County Executive and still continued when he was Vice President, is exposed ITTL as he is the Republican Party Presidential nominee and more focus is put on him.
Nixon if he gives a warts and all statement about his involvement with the King Affair should the next day give a press conference where he answers questions until the last reporter stops asking.

Seeing Spiro Agnew exposed during the election campaign by the Washington post would guarantee them a Pulitzer for 1972.

However, unless the King affair is brought up, (which it probably won't be), Nixon should keep quiet on that. ITTL, He is not a crook ✌️

Seeing Spiro Agnew exposed during the election campaign by the Washington post would guarantee them a Pulitzer for 1972.

However, unless the King affair is brought up, (which it probably won't be), Nixon should keep quiet on that. ITTL, He is not a crook ✌️
Deep in the Abyss a dark god smiles.

I can imagine it, Nixon serves his terms as President and his time becomes known as the start of "America's Golden Age of Peace, Equality and Prosperity"

I take a few days off the thread, see the frequency of posts, and somehow knew Dillinger was dead. Dying a patriotic American was a very treasured twist.

Nixon leading an American resurgence would be amazing.

Random question:
Can I ask what every happened to Admiral Heinelin and Schultz' obsession?
He's probably gone on to write a "Fictional" account of a German secret agent named "Schiltz" who has acted like an oaf but completely undermined the Enemy Country as a science fiction spy novel that's been panned as being completely preposterous. x'D

Although the "enemy" in Starship Troopers, (if he writes it), will be a touch more "Teutonic" in attitude this time, which might be a bit more successful ITTL.