Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

ferdi254

Banned
A 450 SL would put that guy in a good second place and that is OTL 1972.
And a friend of my farther managed to have the 4.5 engine transplanted into an E class giving Porsches a chase.

A Germany 10 years advanced would have 20 models of cars kicking that dodge to the ground.

Last edited:
Part 127, Chapter 2144
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Forty-Four

3rd June 1972

Potsdam

Recently, Nella had become aware of how things had changed as her and Nan as they grew older. A few years earlier they had so closely resembled each other that people really did think they were sisters. Now though, Nella had grown taller, and her hair had gotten darker. Nan said it didn’t matter, that there was more to being family than physical resemblance. The move to Potsdam that occurred every summer was a part of that.

The bank of the river was different from the one they normally walked out to in Plänterwald. It wasn’t same river for starters, and it was a lake as this point. As if to add emphasis, a speedboat was cruising along, and the distant noise of the engine was ruining the quiet that normally prevailed in the vast artificial forest that their family owned.

Nella and Nan had decided to make the walk after Freddy had told all about his childhood adventures in these woods and they had been joined by Mirai. He had played Robin Hood and had even attempted to build a raft after he had read the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The entire time his constant companions had been his foxhound Ueli and Kiki if he could convince her to put down her latest book.

Nella had pointed out just how lonely Freddy must have been in those days. Both of them knew a thing or two about that having had very isolated early childhoods. It was something that had happened to them for different reasons. For Nella it was because she had been kept under tight security while the less said about Nan’s situation and the psychopath who imprisoned her mother the better. It was a subject that Nella had gotten an abrupt education in. As her mother had told her, some doors should remain closed.

A few months earlier Nella and Nan had watched a program of the sort that their mother would not have approved of. It was a documentary all about the Hinterkaifeck murders, how the crime had remained unsolved. It was the sort of illicit fun they had many times before.

Then it wasn’t fun anymore.

The program switched topics to the Landshut case which had started off harmless enough. Forensic experts excavating unmarked graves and carefully removing the bones from the soil so that they could reveal their secrets. It was something that Nella found infinitely fascinating. It was all so dry, the experts explaining how their findings. Nella knew that they were describing terrible things, but she was detached from the whole thing. In this case they mentioned finding the remains of three women and five children who had died at different times, often years apart, from a single gunshot to the back of the head. Then they showed a picture of the man who they said had done it.

When Nella turned to Nan to crack a joke about how silly the man looked in his old-fashioned glasses, she noticed that Nan had gone white as a sheet and was quivering in fear. As that was going on, the Narrator said that Himmler had this twisted idea that humans should be bred like any other livestock. Then had come the harsh truth that had smashed in like a locomotive jumping the track. He had not given the children proper names, instead numbering them. One through five had proven disappointing and had been murdered, six was slated for elimination. It seemed that was what had set the final violent act into motion. There was some speculation about what become of Subject Six but seeing Nan sitting on the couch having gone completely catatonic Nella instantly knew what the answer was. Minutes later Nella had an inkling about how much trouble she was in because her mother was calling her by her actual name, Antonia, as she watched as Nan was drugged because she was starting to make weird noises. Only afterwards had it occurred to her that her mother had everything on hand. Had this been anticipated?

Now, months later, Nan was back mostly to her old self but there was a brittleness that wasn’t there before. Their mother said that it was because Nan had learned that she was truly alone in the world in a way that Nella would probably have a difficult time understanding.

Walking along the bank of a river on a sunny weekend afternoon all of that seemed very remote.

Mitte, Berlin

Years earlier, the Moondogs had written She walks in Sunshine as a not-so-subtle dig at Zella’s apparent superficiality. Admittedly she had taken it badly at the time. Still though, how many people could say that a song had been written about them by a band that had come to be so large?

Today it was a bit different though as Zella listened to the latest solo single that John had written and produced over the winter as the Moondogs had taken a hiatus so that everyone in the band could take a break after years of nearly constant touring and recording sessions. Side A had been a traditional folk song, The Recruiting Sergeant, that he had put his own spin on. The detail that he had played up was that with only slight changes to the lyrics the song could have been written at any time in the last two hundred years. It detailed how a young man hoping to escape his impoverished life in Northern England doesn’t find the adventure he was promised, but a life of hardship in the jungles of South-East Asia in the remaining outposts of the British Empire. The final verse implies that only death awaited them and if they should meet the Recruiting Sergeant they should run away.

Side B though, that was special. Kristy on the Water detailed how the “Kristy” in the song sought freedom from a life not of her choosing on the rivers and canals. The geography was vague with the River Mersey being mentioned, but it was obvious who had inspired that song. Zella knew that “Kristy” would probably hate it, but it wonderfully captured who she was and why she did what she was doing.

Last edited:
Excuse me but a ten years advanced Germany would have had a 450 SEL 6,9 plus several Porsche models that would have made short shrift of such a Dodge.

140 mph as top speed? How slow would you go?

Even OTL in the 70s US cars were low quality gas suzzlers.

A 450 SL would put that guy in a good second place and that is OTL 1972.
And a friend of my farther managed to have the 4.5 engine transplanted into an E class giving Porsches a chase.

A Germany 10 years advanced would have 20 models of cars kicking that dodge to the ground.
It is a case of different design philosophies.

German vehicles have a reputation of working brilliantly until they don't. Close tolerances as well as a tendency to be complex and overengineered make them a nightmare at that point. The vehicles themselves are expensive, require trained Mechanics and parts are difficult to come by.

The American vehicles in question are famously robust, inexpensive and easily modified, though as you say are frequently heavy and inefficient.

149 MPH might seem relatively slow, but you should consider that this is a fleet vehicle and is completely stock. The speed record set in 1969 by the Polara Pursuit wouldn't be broken by another American Patrol Car until 2006. To put that in perspective, the Porsche 911 which was used by Highway Patrol Units of the Police in Germany and the Netherlands topped out at 137 MPH and had a base unit cost of $7400 in 1972 Dollars. The Dodge Polara Pursuit had a unit cost of $2500.

A few months earlier Nella and Nan had watched a program of the sort that their mother would not have approved of. It was a documentary all about the Hinterkaifeck murders, how the crime had remained unsolved. It was the sort of illicit fun they had many times before.

Then it wasn’t fun anymore.
Talk about an understatement...
Now, months later, Nan was back mostly to her old self but there was a brittleness that wasn’t there before. Their mother said that it was because Nan had learned that she was truly alone in the world in a way that Nella would probably have a difficult time understanding.
Poor Nan. She is going to be healing for a long, long, time. Survivor's guilt, PTSD, anxiety, depression, <insert name here>.
Side A had been a traditional folk song, The Recruiting Sergeant,
I have heard a few versions of this. The last one was obviously about a 'Tommy' being recruited for the army only to die in his first battle. Day One of the Battle of the Somme.
Side B though, that was special. Kristy on the Water detailed how the “Kristy” in the song sought freedom from a life not of her choosing on the rivers and canals. The geography was vague with the River Mersey being mentioned, but it was obvious who had inspired that song. Zella knew that “Kristy” would probably hate it, but it wonderfully captured who she was and why she did what she was doing.
Aaanndd now I really need to hear this song.

I have heard a few versions of this. The last one was obviously about a 'Tommy' being recruited for the army only to die in his first battle. Day One of the Battle of the Somme.

Aaanndd now I really need to hear this song.
Nobody knows that your gone for good, you're in the army now.....

ferdi254

Banned
PM it seems the W123 Daimlers, the beetle and others have not left a mark. All routinely going 200 to 300 tkm with one engine and easy to maintain.

The second last time I drove a USA car it took 12.8 litres/100 km with a maximum speed of 60 mph. That is an average consumption twenty % plus of what I expect driving 130mph in a non USA car.

I understand the logic behind it, driving in the USA is decidedly slower than in Europe so no need for good suspension, steering, brakes while fuel is decidedly cheaper so no need for efficiency.

But then there is a reason why European cars are status symbols in the USA while the other way around only the Mustang made it.

Last edited:
It is a case of different design philosophies.

German vehicles have a reputation of working brilliantly until they don't. Close tolerances as well as a tendency to be complex and overengineered make them a nightmare at that point. The vehicles themselves are expensive, require trained Mechanics and parts are difficult to come by.

The American vehicles in question are famously robust, inexpensive and easily modified, though as you say are frequently heavy and inefficient.

149 MPH might seem relatively slow, but you should consider that this is a fleet vehicle and is completely stock. The speed record set in 1969 by the Polara Pursuit wouldn't be broken by another American Patrol Car until 2006. To put that in perspective, the Porsche 911 which was used by Highway Patrol Units of the Police in Germany and the Netherlands topped out at 137 MPH and had a base unit cost of $7400 in 1972 Dollars. The Dodge Polara Pursuit had a unit cost of $2500.
The Dodge Polara Pursuit was the epitome of Chrysler's performance formula at that time: a relatively light weight body for its size with the biggest engine they made. Their unibody construction cut several hundred pounds off the weight of full-framed cars of comparable size, i.e. Chevy Impala and Ford Galaxy. Unfortunately, the tires and brakes were wholly inadequate for the speeds the car could easily achieve. That technology would not be commonplace on big American cars for several more years. Nothing will make you soil your pants quicker than trying to make a panic stop from 120+ MPH with the old drum brakes that were prone to overheating and fading. Don't ask how I know this. 😱

ferdi254

Banned
Chapeau,

with the exception of the Mustang I have not encountered a USA car which I would dare driving at 120 mph.

And yes that includes a 2015 Lincoln Town car.

Nothing will make you soil your pants quicker than trying to make a panic stop from 120+ MPH with the old drum brakes that were prone to overheating and fading. Don't ask how I know this. 😱
I hear you. As a former owner of a 67 Bonneville with a 400, the right pedal will put you into trouble a lot faster than the left pedal will get you out of trouble.

But then there is a reason why European cars are status symbols in the USA while the other way around only the Mustang made it.
oh, I don't know, there seems to be a bit of a market for old American cars in various parts of Europe... BTW, I'm not sure the VW Type 1 was ever a status symbol in the U.S. ;)

oh, I don't know, there seems to be a bit of a market for old American cars in various parts of Europe... BTW, I'm not sure the VW Type 1 was ever a status symbol in the U.S. ;)
Funny you mention that. About 15 years ago I sold a 1964 Buick LeSabre convertible to a Swede. Apparently 60s convertibles are a thing in Sweden. Considering the weather, I'm not sure a convertible is a good buy. 🤔

Not so much as a status symbol but as an iconic car that helped define an era.
The VW Beetle more commonly known as the "Bug" was for many people in the Sixties and Seventies their first car and many time a Beetle was the first car for someone over and over again.
Mom and Dad would buy a Beetle for their child going of to college who would then sell it to another student after graduation or it would be passed down to another family member.
The Beetle being easy to maintain and parts were plentiful and cheap made it a favorite for off road enthusiasts to modify in to dune buggies and later the Baja Bug which was made famous by the Baja 1000 Race by using fiberglass bodies and there were kits you could buy that lifted the suspension among other things, being an air cooled rear engine car with a relatively low center of gravity made it practically perfect to take out to the desert to have fun in.
As for the VW Bus that was another story it was great for young families that were still growing, surfers, and hippies which reminds me of a joke I heard when I was very young.
Q; How many hippies can fit in a VW Bus?
A; Don't know but there is always room for one more,

Don't follow me down to die boys
In bloody Kandahar
With the eerie glow of tracers
Lighting every wretched scar
Who will say a prayer for me
And cry each year this day?
If you see the Recruiting Sergeant boys
Run, run away...

The Recruiting Sergeant, as adapted and performed by the Levellers in 2012.

This song lends itself to adaptation over the last couple centuries and often reflects the events of the day.

The Pogues had a different spin on the song from an Irish perspective.

Come rain or hail or wind or snow
I'm not going out to Flanders oh
There's fighting in Dublin to be done
Let your Sergeants and your Commanders go
Let Englishmen fight English wars
Its nearly time they started oh
I saluted the Sergeant a very good night
And there and then we parted oh

Last edited:
Chapeau,

with the exception of the Mustang I have not encountered a USA car which I would dare driving at 120 mph.

And yes that includes a 2015 Lincoln Town car.
c4, c5, c6, c7 vettes ( or older one before 71)
camaro 93+ and recent ones with 6.2 or 7 litres
impala ss from 90s( a 4door caprice with camaro ss engine)

viper
dodge charger or challenger hellcat?
neon srt4
(hemi and 440 6 pack cuda/charger/dart etc from 68-71)
dodge daytona turbo, dodge stealth twin turbo

ford gt40 old and new
shelby cobra from 60s

saleen cars in general