Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Part 125, Chapter 2121
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twenty-One

11th February 1972

Berlin-Brandenburg International Airport

In the days of the Roman Empire, when a General returned from victory and led the triumphal march through the city he had a slave, usually a dwarf, there beside him to whisper into his ear that he was still a mortal. For Tilo that came in the form of blast from brass instruments belting out From Land to Sea-From Sea to Land at ear splitting volume. He had loathed that stupid song since the Marine Infantry had adopted it as their official song years earlier, but as the highest-ranking Officer to emerge from the 3rd Marine Infantry Division it was expected. He had just completed a successful campaign as a Theater Commander and the Powers that be in the State and the Navy were currently happy with him. That included an overwhelming portion of the public as well.

The Press was out in force, and he was blinded by camera flashes going off as he walked from the jet bridge onto the Main concourse. Reier was a few steps behind him. On the plane he had told Tilo that for an Oberstaber like him the Argentine Campaign was the perfect self-funding vacation that had all the perks of being in the field and few of the drawbacks. As if anything else could happen while he was attached to the Staff of a Field Marshal. He had spent the Campaign doing most of the unofficial work that was necessary but seldom talked about. Whenever Tilo had found himself in need of someone to cut through red tape or find a workaround when Officialdom became too annoying, Reier was an old hand at those sorts of games. His extensive connections in the grey and black markets certainly helped as well. Apparently, Reier was going back to Flensburg to resume his role as the Drillmaster at the Mürwik Naval Academy. Going to Argentina with Tilo to keep him out of trouble was the least he could do. There was a bit of melancholy as both of them understood that this would probably be the last time that Tilo would deploy with Reier at his side. Of all the men who had deployed with the 3rd MID to Vietnam in early 1943, Reier and Tilo were last two that Tilo knew of who were still in active service.

He had been gone for months this time but had promised Nancy that he would be staying closer to home in the coming days. Emperor Friedrich had told him that they would need to meet as soon as arrangements could be made. That was a good thing, because the issue that Tilo had was that there was simply nowhere further for him to go. He had been in the Marine Infantry in some capacity since he had been nineteen years old, and he was turning fifty in December. It was time to find something else to do and it would be good to leave on a high note.

Tilo spotted Nancy standing with Sabastian, Anna and Gretchen waiting for him. It was impossible not to notice that Sabastian towered over his mother, even Anna was now taller than Nancy. Tilo was left pondering just when that had happened. At ten, Gretchen was still a little girl. In her last letter Nancy had said that she hoped that Gretchen would remain so for awhile yet. She had also described a hectic homelife, as the girls were a handful. Nancy had mentioned that Sabastian had discovered sport and that he was quite good at it as well. Something else that Tilo would finally have time for. Finally, Nancy had mentioned how she was going to try to spring Sabastian from the Prussian Institute in Wahlstatt for the weekend so that they would all be there to greet Tilo when he stepped off the airplane. It seemed that Nancy had been successful from the looks of things.

“Glad you are home” Nancy said after Tilo and hugged and kissed her much to the embarrassment of their children.

“For keeps this time” Tilo said, and Nancy seemed a bit surprised by that.

“Exactly what do you intend to do?” Nancy asked.

“Perhaps a University needs someone to teach Philosophy or something” Tilo replied, “Something that doesn’t involve battlefields or pressuring a South American President into making the right call long after it had become plainly obvious to everyone else on the planet.”

“I see” Nancy said as they started the long walk to the main entrance of the Airport. “That might make things a bit awkward considering the plans that Freddy has for you. Being a mere Professor and all.”

“I know that he wants to talk to me” Tilo replied, “I figured that it would be a medal and a pat on the head, then back to the kennel. I already got one of those in Argentina.”

“You’ve been spending entirely too much time with Reier over the last year” Nancy said, “That is still better than what you said after you came back from Poland, comparing the Marine Infantry to sheep and how sheep get fucked.”

“Momma!” Gretchen exclaimed, her and Anna looked aghast that Nancy had said that, and Sabastian just smirked.

“I was a bit irked at how those crazy lunkheads from the Airborne beat everyone else into Warsaw” Tilo said, “Of course, that was after we had beat the Poles in the field, clearing the way for them without so much as a thank you.”

“About what Freddy has planned though” Nancy said, “It’s hush hush right now, but President Martínez of Argentina is personally crediting you with the destruction of the Chilean Army. As Emperor, Freddy thinks that should be appropriately rewarded.”

Even by Tilo’s jaded standards that was a huge deal.

At this point Tilo has a lot of options available to him.
If he wants out and get a teaching job at a university he is going to get a lot of offers with automatic tenure thrown in along with his choice of visiting professorships in universities around the world including the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA and the Naval Academy in Annapolis.
He is most likely is going to be enobled by the Emperor and it would be nice if Nancy was to get her own title too for her service to the Imperial Family over the years.
Tilo could formally be named as the First Commandant of the Marine Infantry with the equivalent rank as the head of the KLM ( but still junior to him as the MI is part of the Navy and the head of the Navy always out ranks the head of the MI).
I could see the USMC Commandant gifting Tilo a silver plated bolo knife that the USMC used in the Philippines Insurgency and latter in World War I and the Seebaitallion Infantry adopted for their own use in the Pacific War, also if there is a formal ceremony for being promoted to Commandant of the MI look for the heads of the Dutch Marines, British Marines, Japanese Marines, and the USMC to be guests.

Tilo sounds like he's about to be ennobled. Jost will be pleased. Tilo could also find himself following in Emil's footsteps. A Marine Fieldmarshal as head of OKW in a few years sounds good.

At this point Tilo has a lot of options available to him.
If he wants out and get a teaching job at a university he is going to get a lot of offers with automatic tenure thrown in along with his choice of visiting professorships in universities around the world including the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA and the Naval Academy in Annapolis.
He is most likely is going to be enobled by the Emperor and it would be nice if Nancy was to get her own title too for her service to the Imperial Family over the years.
Tilo could formally be named as the First Commandant of the Marine Infantry with the equivalent rank as the head of the KLM ( but still junior to him as the MI is part of the Navy and the head of the Navy always out ranks the head of the MI).
I could see the USMC Commandant gifting Tilo a silver plated bolo knife that the USMC used in the Philippines Insurgency and latter in World War I and the Seebaitallion Infantry adopted for their own use in the Pacific War, also if there is a formal ceremony for being promoted to Commandant of the MI look for the heads of the Dutch Marines, British Marines, Japanese Marines, and the USMC to be guests.
You left out the Republic of Korea government and military, the Vietnamese, Taiwan, and who knows from Russia. He will also get something from the Emperor of Japan of appropriate stature to match what the Kaiser gives him.

Part 125, Chapter 2122
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twenty-Two

13th February 1972

Mitte, Berlin

Dragging herself downstairs on a Sunday morning was seldom the highlight of Zella’s week. A least she hoped in was still morning. If it was early afternoon, her mother would give her an earful about sleeping the day away and how that was unhealthy. As it turned out, her mother wanted to talk, just it wasn’t about her sleeping habits.

“I heard you come in late last night” Maria said, “Yuri called this morning, he said you were in a bit of a state when you left.”

It was Zella’s most sincere hope that Yuri had held his tongue about some of the details of what had happened the night before. How she had recklessly decided to blow up everything she had worked for over the last decade for the stupidest reasons. Not the least of which was that her brain simply decided to stop functioning entirely until the implications had hit her. Her mother was the last person on earth she wanted to talk about that with.

“A brainstorming secession didn’t end well” Zella said, as she poured herself a cup of coffee that smelled burnt. Bad coffee was the price Zella paid for sleeping in until almost noon.

“From the sound of what that boy told me, there wasn’t a whole of brainstorming that went on” Maria said, “Please tell me that you at least had the presence of mind to exercise a degree of caution.”

Zella glowered at her coffee as she almost cursed aloud when she heard that Yuri must have spilled his guts. She was learning for the thousandth time that Kiki had extremely good reasons for trusting very few people. Kiki said that it was because people liked to talk and seldom needed much in the way of prompting to tell you their deepest held secrets. All you needed was a bit of authority. Against Zella’s mother, Yuri didn’t stand a chance.

“I thought that you had put the wild behavior behind you” Maria said, “That you had learned from some of the things that had happened to you.”

It was odd how she had gone right back to her old worries from when Zella had been a teenager. The last time they had talked, her mother had been worried about Zella’s total lack of a personal life, which seemed to have been at the forefront of her mind since she had retired from her role at the Editor-in-Chief at the Berlin Tageblatt. This was because Zella’s parents now had time to travel, but that would require leaving Zella alone in the house for weeks at a time or else encouraging her to get her own place. They had ping-ponged back and forth over the prior weeks. In hindsight, it was now painfully obvious that Zella had added a new layer of complication on top of that.

“This wasn’t wild behavior” Zella said.

“So, you are in a relationship with that boy?” Maria asked.

“No” Zella replied, “We’re friends and we work together.”

“That was hardly the impression I got” Maria said, “It is obvious that he cares about you and what you did… He was surprised about what happened, all of it, and your reaction afterwards.”

“I told him that I didn’t want one” Zella replied.

Maria just shook her head. Zella had gone to Yuri’s apartment in order to come up with ideas for their next production. The trouble had been that all the talk lately had been that Aunt Kat’s goddaughter, Suse Rosa Knispel, was going to be getting married at some point in the near future. This was already on top of Aurora getting married in a few months, Kiki having Nina the year before, and so many other things. It seemed to Zella that her friends were moving on with their lives and leaving her behind. So, when Zella had arrived at Yuri’s, she had been feeling lonely, unfulfilled, and was unhappy with her life. Zella had been looking for a distraction from those things. She had found one for a little bit with Yuri entirely because he had the right attachments. She had known that Yuri was in love with her for a long time, so that must have been a dream come true for him.

Later Zella had had realized that when word of what she had done that evening got out, and it inevitably would, then it would taint everything that she did. The assumptions that many people made about her were already harsh, this would only confirm what they already thought.

“Why would you say that to Yuri?” Maria asked, “He seems like a nice boy and…”

“Who deserves far better than me” Zella said cutting her mother off.

Maria gave Zella a sad look, “You are that afraid of getting hurt again?” She asked.

“What happened was a lot worse than just getting hurt” Zella replied, before she opened the refrigerator to see if she could find something to eat. She had wondered all along if her mother really understood what had happened. How someone in a position of authority had gotten into her head, made her doubt herself, and had manipulated things to draw her deeper into his web. The spell had been broken when Zella had landed in the hospital after suffering a miscarriage. A few days later, she had taken the advice of John Elis, the odd American expat who claimed to have been a criminal in his home country and told her former Professor’s wife what had happened. It seemed that was the last straw because he had been ambushed at his front door by his angry wife with a lead mallet. It was the only part of that sorry episode that Zella didn’t regret.

“All the more reason to get past it as opposed to playing stupid games with a young man who I think would be overjoyed to have more than just a one-night stand” Maria said, “If nothing else, I’m sure that you would prefer a lover that you didn’t need to buy batteries for. Don’t pretend that your father and I can’t hear you, your bedroom shares a wall with ours.”

Zella closed the refrigerator door, her appetite gone. Moving out of her parent’s house suddenly looked extremely desirable.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I felt that Zella didn’t like Ben was that he was safe and she thought Kiki needed someone with a touch of danger about them.
Now Zella has been looking for someone like her father but what she really needs and secretly wanted was someone like like her mother who will take chances but only when necessary and that fits Yuri very well.

Really looking forward to some Zella introspection. Seems a bit of a leap considering the POV's. Yeah, I can understand why, but to flesh it out a bit more would help.

Part 126, Chapter 2123
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twenty-Three

20th February 1972

Lány Castle, Bohemia

The thunder of Blitzen’s hooves striking the ground could be heard long before Michael came into view. The horse was in a full gallop, ears pinned back and wide-eyed. Michael was wearing a full suit of armor, his lance pointed slightly skyward until he closed with the practice dummies in the field, and he lowered the lance. If anything, this caused Blitzen to increase speed as Michael aimed the lance. The steel spearhead at the end of the ash shaft struck the first dummy dead center with around eight hundred kilograms of horse and rider behind it and the results were for lack of a better word, explosive. The dummy was cunningly sculpted from ballistic gel and plastic to mimic the damage that would actually be inflicted upon a human body complete with spurting blood. The lance nearly tore it in half. Michael repeated this with a few more of the dummies until the lance shattered. Then he drew a broadsword and continued the charge, hacking and slashing through the dummies. Not to be left out, Blitzen seemed to be making a point of trampling them whenever he got the chance.

As a longstanding Panzer Commander, Kurt had seen a lot of carnage over his career. What he was witnessing was far and away a higher level of carnage than he had thought possible with hand weapons. When Michael completed the course, he sheathed his sword and took off the sallet helmet he was wearing, revealing that he had a big grin on his face. The white surcoat he was wearing was completely splattered with the simulated gore, perfectly in keeping with the Chivalrous Order whose uniform he was wearing today.

“What do you think General?” Michael asked as he climbed off Blitzen’s back and led the big horse over to where Kurt and his small staff had been patiently watching. The Pope had finally got around to giving Michael permission to reconstitute the Bohemian Bailiwick of the Teutonic Order as a Charitable Organization as the Knight Commander of the Bailiwick. The rub had been that Michael had needed to recognize Archduke Otto von Habsburg of Austria as the current Grandmaster of the Order, and Otto would recognize the independence of the Bohemian Bailiwick and drop the pointless lawsuit against the Protestant Prussian Bailiwick. It had become clear why this had happened when Pope Paul had sent a series of telegrams basically informing them that the Vatican would no longer be listening to their complaints about each other. Poppa just told the two quarreling sons to shut up and play nice, Kurt thought to himself. It was whispered that the Pope’s key interest was offering an alternative to the growing influence of the Johanniter Order, it remained to be seen just how that would play itself out. Of course, with the Knights Hospitaler having the German Emperor as a member and allowing women into the Order, especially in Germany and England, the Teutonic Knights were already on the back foot. They just didn’t know it yet.

“I think I’ll stick with Panzers” Kurt replied, “That way I’ll stand a chance.”

Michael heard that and started laughing. Kurt couldn’t help but notice that Michael had grown out his beard this winter, though he had kept his hair cropped closely on the sides so it wouldn’t interfere with his helmet. He hadn’t cut it elsewhere and it was starting to look like how a Rock Guitarist, or a Red Indian might wear it. Kurt suspected that Michael probably looked the part of an actual Medieval Knight but wasn’t exactly sure. A Historian would probably know for sure.

“What’s this news I hear about your girl getting married?” Michael asked as he passed Blitzen’s reins off to a waiting groom. “To Manfred the Younger of Silesia no less.”

“That much is true” Kurt replied, “Though it is early days.”

Michael gave Kurt a look suggesting he didn’t understand what that meant.

“Manfred and Suse don’t have a date set yet” Kurt said, “And their reunion a few weeks back set off a huge row. So, I’m fairly sure that their trip to the alter will be just as fraught as their relationship has been so far. It’s just who they are.”

Silesia

“The Kurfürst and his son are good people” The Estate Manager said as he gave her the tour of the main house on the estate. “We respect that, and I am giving you a warning that you will be summarily dismissed if you talk to the Press about what you see here.”

They were talking in Polish, which was the language of those from the countryside who came to work here. The Estate Manager, the man who had hired her, had warned her not to assume that she could speak Polish in front of the Master and his family. He said that he knew that the Lady of the Manor, Ilse von Richthofen-Mischner, understood that language and he believed that Manfred the Elder did as well. He had also warned her to be very careful in her dealings with the Household Staff who had come from the German speaking cities.

“I would never…” Izabella Lis started to say.

“Everyone says they would never do something like that” The Estate Manager replied. “Then they have someone from a tabloid offering them more money than they make in a month for just a detail or two. The Kurfürst takes matters like that seriously. You will find that he is a hard man, but he is fair.”

“Oh” Izabella said, working in a house like this was already proving more complicated than she had imagined. She had lived her whole life on her family’s farm, so she wasn’t bothered by a bit of work. It was the long and complicated list of dos and don’ts that seemed daunting. It was something that Izabella would learn because this job was far more than just a paycheck for her.

“The Staff has their housing on the grounds” The Estate Manager said, “You will find that it is far nicer than your will find elsewhere.”

“I will need to take your word for it” Izabella replied. She really did have no experience to compare it to.

Last edited:
I don't know much about the field, but I suspect it's a bit early for battery powered vibrators as sexual objects. (Not as the "theraputic" devices, which I'm well aware is older.)

I don't know much about the field, but I suspect it's a bit early for battery powered vibrators as sexual objects. (Not as the "theraputic" devices, which I'm well aware is older.)
The device in question dates from Victorian times, the battery powered version dates from the mid 1960's.

The device in question dates from Victorian times, the battery powered version dates from the mid 1960's.
I know in Britain in the 60s they got sold as gum massagers so there wouldn’t be embarrassment about buying them…

I think I know what Izabella's reasons are for taking a job at the von Richthofen Estate is, but I am going to keep it to myself because if I am wrong then I am going to look like an even bigger fool then I usually do.
No matter what the reason is it is going to be both logical and surprising at the same time.

Last edited:
Chapter Two Thousand One Hundred Twenty-Three

20th February 1972

Lány Castle, Bohemia

The thunder of Blitzen’s hooves striking the ground could be heard long before Michael came into view. The horse was in a full gallop, ears pinned back and wide-eyed. Michael was wearing a full suit of armor, his lance pointed slightly skyward until he closed with the practice dummies in the field, and he lowered the lance. If anything, this caused Blitzen to increase speed as Michael aimed the lance. The steel spearhead at the end of the ash shaft struck the first dummy dead center with around eight hundred kilograms of horse and rider behind it and the results were for lack of a better word, explosive. The dummy was cunningly sculpted from ballistic gel and plastic to mimic the damage that would actually be inflicted upon a human body complete with spurting blood. The lance nearly tore it in half. Michael repeated this with a few more of the dummies until the lance shattered. Then he drew a broadsword and continued the charge, hacking and slashing through the dummies. Not to be left out, Blitzen seemed to be making a point of trampling them whenever he got the chance.
I wonder if in the back of Kurt’s mind, there’s a flash of memory of the late Manfred vonWovogle and that same madness in the heat of battle. I’m sure the old wolf would have watched on approvingly at Michael’s efforts to restart the really old mounted warfare traditions of the armoured knights. Michael would, in the old days have been the ideal middle son of the Hohenzollerns, ready to come back with his shield or on it.
Which in turn makes me wonder how Louis Jr is going! When’s he coming back from the South Atlantic and whether Zella gets sent to Kiel to cover the return of the Emperor’s brother. Perhaps an old flame gets rekindled….?

I wonder if in the back of Kurt’s mind, there’s a flash of memory of the late Manfred vonWovogle and that same madness in the heat of battle. I’m sure the old wolf would have watched on approvingly at Michael’s efforts to restart the really old mounted warfare traditions of the armoured knights. Michael would, in the old days have been the ideal middle son of the Hohenzollerns, ready to come back with his shield or on it.
Which in turn makes me wonder how Louis Jr is going! When’s he coming back from the South Atlantic and whether Zella gets sent to Kiel to cover the return of the Emperor’s brother. Perhaps an old flame gets rekindled….?
Yes, an old flame for Louis Jnr.....Anya :p

Louis Ferdinand Jr. to Zella:

“Zella you’re a fine girl (you’re a fine girl)
What a good wife you would be (such a fine girl)
But my life, my lover, my lady is the sea”.

Last edited: