Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

The Imperial Family has NOT forgotten what you tried to do, nor has it forgiven. Blum might even be introduced to the idiot formerly known as Mithras.
I'm not sure they'd go that far, but I'm sure that the Royal German Survey base in Antarctica could use an Assistant Deputy Trainee Toilet Cleaner, (Class 3).

Of course, Spandau prison, even in General Population, would seem like a 4 star luxury hotel by comparison.

ferdi254

Banned
There is a reason why I am a big fan of sexual education (with all the trimmings) at the age of 10. One side effect is that it reduces teenage pregnancies. And it keeps parents out of akward situations which they might handle well

Or like Kat.

I wonder what Reiner Blum did to get deported.
I don't think he was officially deported, I believe it was "suggested" that after leaving the Army, Blum may wish to consider a very, very quiet retirement somewhere well away from Germany.

I believe it was a Kat "suggestion" too, and we know how much weight they carry - a lot, roughly the same amount as it would take to send a body to the bottom of the Mariana trench, (although that is a pure coincidence and anyone suggesting other wise is spreading a scurrilous lie).

I don't think he was officially deported, I believe it was "suggested" that after leaving the Army, Blum may wish to consider a very, very quiet retirement somewhere well away from Germany.

I believe it was a Kat "suggestion" too, and we know how much weight they carry - a lot, roughly the same amount as it would take to send a body to the bottom of the Mariana trench, (although that is a pure coincidence and anyone suggesting other wise is spreading a scurrilous lie).
I meant from the States back to Germany.

Originally, after being released from prison, someone (P-M never said who) high up pulled a lot of strings to move Blum to America with a fake name.

There is a reason why I am a big fan of sexual education (with all the trimmings) at the age of 10. One side effect is that it reduces teenage pregnancies. And it keeps parents out of akward situations which they might handle well

Or like Kat.
While I doubt this Germany is as puritanical as (parts?) of the US today, we didn't have a '68 movement TTL. So 'Sexualkunde' in schools might still be some way off. (At the same time - we're talking about half a century of butterflies, so who knows?)

While I wouldn't be surprised if TTL Germany parents in general, similar to OTL, have less problems talking about sex with their children compared to depictions in US media, I can see Kat having problems doing so for very obvious reasons. Just as I didn't call out Kiki retreating to feed Nina, instead of just doing so in the semi-privacy of the deck of the Meta. Because it fits what we know about their character.

While I doubt this Germany is as puritanical as (parts?) of the US today, we didn't have a '68 movement TTL. So 'Sexualkunde' in schools might still be some way off. (At the same time - we're talking about half a century of butterflies, so who knows?)
Probably right about schools. I mean, I think it took a fair while for anywhere to be comfortable with the idea of sex education in schools.

OTOH, @Peabody-Martini showed in this post that Magnus Hirschfeld's Institute is very much open, legal and apparently doing fairly well. So definitely popular attitudes are less puritanical than the US (and also possibly less puritanical than the OTL Bonn Republic in some regards) even without the '68 movement.

Well, parts are anyway. Obviously Berlin, Hamburg etc. are going to be more liberal than, for example, small-town Bavaria.

Reiner Blum was given false identification after an early release from military prison and then strings were pulled by someone with more power than Kat to have him immigrate to the United States.
The reason he was deported from the United States was probably that he was caught with his hands in the Cookie jar and Cookie is a teenage girl and while charges were dropped it was found out that he was in the United States under a false name that made it easy for the Immigration and Naturalization Service to boot him back to Germany.
The latter is just speculation on my part and should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Or like Kat.
My parents got us a book on the subject of "Where babies come from". It was very informative, with illustrations, and written in clear, easily understood language with no euphemisms anywhere in it. It explained so much.
I did get into trouble though when I took it to primary school (New Zealand, 1980, I was 10) to prove to my friends that:
a) the stork doesn't bring babies,
b) that babies aren't found under cabbage leaves in the vegetable garden,
c) you can't get pregnant from sitting on a toilet seat that a boy has used,
d) that (biological) boys can't get pregnant*.
The school was annoyed, other parents were pissed, Mum said they shouldn't have lied to their kids about it. The movie we saw in high school 5 years later was much more graphic, showing a pregnancy from conception through to birth.

*one kid called Ricky seemed pretty upset about this part. In high school Ricky came out as gay. Found out years later that she was trans.

Just as I didn't call out Kiki retreating to feed Nina, instead of just doing so in the semi-privacy of the deck of the Meta. Because it fits what we know about their character.
Regardless of whatever hang-ups Kiki may or may not have, a large part of her retreating to feed Nina is probably about her being worried about some photographer with a telescopic lens getting a picture of her boobs.

Regardless of whatever hang-ups Kiki may or may not have, a large part of her retreating to feed Nina is probably about her being worried about some photographer with a telescopic lens getting a picture of her boobs.
Kiki was offered a staggering amount of money by Hugh Hefner to pose in a photo session when she turned 18, which she mailed back after using the letter for target practice so the words she used to decline the offer in no uncertain terms were punctuated with several 9mm holes. At the same time, Hefner let it be known that he would pay a lesser amount if someone else got the photographs in question. Later, when Kiki was featured in the pages of Playboy it was as a straight news story written by Hunter S. Thompson and the letter was featured as a part of the story.

So, yes, the thought of a photographer with a telephoto lens is always at the back of her mind.

Last edited:
Part 124, Chapter 2090
Chapter Two Thousand Ninety

20th September 1971

Rural Chile, South of Balmaceda

The Chilean Army was making a stand east of Balmaceda forming a defensive line along the river that was the frontier between Argentina and Chile. They had managed to stop the advance of the 3rd Panzer Division for the last several days. That was when Intelligence had cooked up a new plan when they found a remote border crossing which was apparently undefended. The 4th Division had found themselves at loose ends, so they had been tapped to carry out the exploratory mission. Through long experience, Christian knew that when something seemed too good to be true it probably was.

Looking at a map, even Christian had seen the problem with the plan. There was a Division of the Argentine Army currently bottled up on Route 45 on the north shore of Lago Buenos Aires in a situation similar to the one that 3rd had found themselves in and was entirely too close to the jumping off point. From there it was a road north along the frontier to a remote Estancia. That was where the Pioneers came in. They had needed to build a bridge across the river that could be used by Panzers then build a road to connect the one on the Argentine side with the one on the Chilean side. There had been all sorts of things that could have gone wrong with that plan. They had been in a narrow, remote valley the entire time on terrible roads with a precarious supply situation. If they had been spotted at any time, the Chilean Air Force would have cheerfully fucked them up the ass.

To Christian’s astonishment, the plan had worked, and the 7th Recon was speeding North ahead of the bulk of the 4th Division at the best possible speed. It was jarring when the Iltis hit pavement after so long spent on gravel roads. Not wanting a repeat of what happened weeks earlier, Christian ordered Maus to turn onto the bridge to their left.

Christian jumped out of still moving vehicle as it crossed the midspan. He ran along the guard rail, looking for telltale wires that would reveal if the bridge were rigged to explode. To the east, he could hear the sound of artillery as the 3rd was probably clobbering the Chileans with everything that they had just a few kilometers away.

As the two Iltis vehicles reached the far side of the bridge. Kruger and Brodbeck opened up with the Squad’s two machine guns, the green tracers leaping out towards a target that Christian couldn’t see as he ran to catch up. Behind him, he could hear the roar of hundreds of diesel engines as the rest of the Division raced to take the airport and Balmaceda itself. Looking in that direction, he saw a pair of the Argentine attack planes with twin turboprop engines conducting strafing runs. If the Brass took nothing else from this conflict, it was that the Heer needed to get some of those for themselves, Christian thought to himself.

Eventually, elements of the 4th began turning west, leap frogging Christian’s position on that end of the bridge. They were packing up to join the advance when the General’s Adjutant showed up and asked if they had been the ones who had taken the strategically important bridge over the Río Oscuro. Christian had almost told him that it wasn’t a big deal, the few Chileans defending it had fled as soon as his team had shown up and his Gunners had taken a few potshots at them so that they would keep running. The Adjutant had looked Christian in the eye and told him not to tell anyone else that.

Base Aérea El Tepual, Puerto Montt, Chile

It was shocking how different things were from a year earlier.

The situation wasn’t getting better, that much was clear as word reached them that the city of Coyhaique had fallen to the Argentinian forces and their allies. Reinaldo Contreras had noticed something far more obvious that screamed volumes about everything. His Squadron was now conducting almost all of its operations over Chile rather than Argentina.

At the same time, a new plane with markings from the German Navy had appeared. As a Naval Aviator himself, Reinaldo understood that planes that operated from Aircraft Carriers frequently had to make serious compromises in order to conduct their missions. The compromise that these planes seemed to have made involved dispensing with the laws of physics. Reinaldo had tangled with these planes as they had conducted attack runs and discovered that they just turned away and even a plane as maneuverable as an F-11 couldn’t stay with them.

Reinaldo had also realized that with Route 7 cut, the portion of the Chilean Army south of there was screwed. That highway was their lifeline, and it was increasingly likely that Puerto Montt would suffer the same fate as Punta Arenas. Shelled into oblivion by the opposing Navy. For him personally, all of this had come at a time when he had finally managed to get his Squadron to behave as a Squadron. It was unfortunate that it had taken a few encounters with Jasta 11 to slam home the reason why it was necessary. They were like any other team in the Majors finding themselves playing against Murderers Row, get better fast or die.

Last edited:
One of those planes where it is easy to see why the Infantry wouldn't object too much about having them as CAS.

50077144851_b1037d49e5_b.jpg

Chile should have run to the peace table while they were ahead but now they are going to see German, Argentinian, and for added laughs Japanese troops parked outside of Santiago.
This will start a big fight between President Allende and General Pinochet which is something that happens on every timeline.

Part 124, Chapter 2091
Chapter Two Thousand Ninety-One

24th September 1971

Wahlstatt, Silesia

There was considerable irony in teaching Logic and Ethics considering where these boys were destined to end up. Still, Professor Fuchs rolled with it because there was a good chance that teaching them to think for themselves would save lives in the future.

“Killing opposing leaders is a bad idea” Sabastian Schultz said while answering Fuchs’ question.

“Why is that though?” The Professor asked in reply. He had gotten to know Sabastian well over the last few years, that answer was incredibly deep for the boy. Probably the direct result of the influence of his father who had taught Philosophy at the Mürwik Naval School, if Fuchs’ had to guess. That was confirmed by the next thing that Sabastian said.

“My father says that you need to have someone to negotiate with once the shooting stops” Sabastian said, “Otherwise you will be forced into an extended occupation which is a good way to lose the peace.”

“Do you agree with your father about that?” Fuchs asked and he saw Sabastian had a look of panic pass across his face. He half expected Sabastian to look to Nikolaus von Richthofen who was seated across the room as he often did when pushed. Fuchs had learned quickly in the first year that he had this class that having those two seated by each other was trouble brewing and it had been necessary to keep them on opposite sides of the room. The problem was not that Sabastian was stupid, it was that he tended not to think things through. That was something that Fuchs was trying to change.

“Why wouldn’t I?” Sabastian asked a bit too smugly, “He is a Generalfeldmarschall.”

“Yes, Sabastian, I have seen the Evening News” Fuchs replied, “But that is not an answer, I am however interested in what you think. You know, your opinion.”

Turning to the chalkboard, Fuchs wrote out a phrase from a film he had seen over the Summer Holiday.

Opinions are like assholes; Everyone has got one and they all stink.

That caused a bit of laughter among the students.

“I expect a thousand words the ideas that Herr Schultz has expressed here today from each of you” Fuchs said, “And I expect you to be able to defend the arguments that you put forward.”

Sabastian looked embarrassed though there was no reason for him to be. The class would have been assigned a thousand words regardless of what happened. The bell rang and the Professor erased the blackboard as the students fled before they got any further assignments to do over the coming weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“It only takes a couple hours at most to pound out a thousand words” Niko said.

“Yeah” Bas replied, “But Professor Fuchs always makes you read it aloud and defend every assertion.”

Niko knew that last bit was particularly torturous for Bas. Not only having to write down what you thought but having to explain it as well. The term was only a few weeks old, but Niko had seen how others had learned the hard way that cheating was basically impossible in Professor Fuchs’ class. If you didn’t know the material, the Professor was perfectly happily let you stand before the class and humiliate yourself. Today, the subject of current events had come up and one of the other students had made a comment about plastering whatever hole the Chilean leadership was hiding in with bombs. That was when Bas had spoken up and had repeated what his father had told him without fully understanding the implications. Because that was just the sort of thing that he did.

The next thing today was lunch, followed by the scheduled activities that were of a less cerebral nature. It being a warm Friday afternoon, Niko figured that it would be target practice followed by swimming. Bas was hoping to make the Track and Field Team this year, so he had grown a bit impatient with anything that wasn’t along those lines even if it was just them running laps as punishment. Even then he was trying to get noticed by the Coach. Tomorrow on Saturday, they had been told that they would be riding, practicing Cavalry formations and saber drill. Which meant that they would be too sore to move on Sunday.

All of this was quite a change from the Summer Holiday. With Bas’ father in Argentina his mother had arranged Bas to go to Opa von Richthofen’s estate along with his younger sisters. Whatever plans they might have made up there this year they had needed to factor in the constant presence of Anna and Gretchen. There was also Niko’s little sister Ingrid to contend with. She was now walking around and loved the presence of her big brother. Frequently, Niko and Bas had found themselves having to keep a close eye on the girls who were aghast at the thought of hunting and fishing like they had over the previous summers.

As if the food on their plate had magically sprung out of the air, Niko thought to himself sourly.

The rest of the time had been spent doing things that Opa felt were in keeping with their birth. While Bas had enjoyed watching the sporting events, he was less then thrilled with the gambling, scheming, and glad-handing that Opa engaged in. Eventually, Bas had asked Opa what any of that had to do with him? Opa had told him that his father was overseas leading a campaign that had been successful so far. If that continued, the Emperor would have little choice other than to place Dietrich Schultz among the highest ranking of the New Junkers and Bas was his father’s designated heir.

Last edited:
Sebastian is learning that he has a brain and his in his paper he should of point out that his father was the one who captured (or rescued) the Emperor of Japan and his family ( which includes the younger daughter who is now the Empress Consort of the German Empire) so that that the Emperors of Germany and Japan could negotiate a peace deal as equals.
Love the way that Sebastian is finding out just how far his “Opa” the Kurfürst wil go in making alliances for the future of the von Richthofen family.

One of those planes where it is easy to see why the Infantry wouldn't object too much about having them as CAS.

View attachment 661318
In the early 70's these were a great idea and worked well, however by the early 80's they were flying death traps flown by very courageous pilots against modern anti-aircraft weapons. If you put one of these against a Gepard, (let alone a one of these), the pilot's life expectancy would be measured in minutes. My opinion, (and they are, as noted above, like arseholes), is that dedicated fixed wing CAS aircraft are an evolutionary dead end and that attack helicopters are the way forward.

On that, I wonder if the Cheyenne will get a fair shake this time or if it got cancelled as per OTL?

In the early 70's these were a great idea and worked well, however by the early 80's they were flying death traps flown by very courageous pilots against modern anti-aircraft weapons. If you put one of these against a Gepard, (let alone a one of these), the pilot's life expectancy would be measured in minutes. My opinion, (and they are, as noted above, like arseholes), is that dedicated fixed wing CAS aircraft are an evolutionary dead end and that attack helicopters are the way forward.

On that, I wonder if the Cheyenne will get a fair shake this time or if it got cancelled as per OTL?
Don't forget MANPADS. The only way to counter them is using terrain like a heli or out running them with a jet.